Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Are there any Level Prime spells?

I can think of at least one instance of there being a Level ? spell (I wanna say it was one of Strago's things in VI) that uses the last digit of your gil to determine who it hits. Get it to 1 and you hit everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dragonatrix posted:

I can think of at least one instance of there being a Level ? spell (I wanna say it was one of Strago's things in VI) that uses the last digit of your gil to determine who it hits. Get it to 1 and you hit everything.

Oh, was it the ones digit? I thought it was the tens digit.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Assuming that's a button you can hit that gives you a hint on what to do next, I don't really have a problem with that. If it's permanently there that's kind of weird but whatever. But that port just looks so bad

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Kyrosiris posted:

Oh, was it the ones digit? I thought it was the tens digit.

Pretty sure it's ones. Get it to 1, and then enjoy the fact that every encounter in Kefka's Tower gives an amount of gil that ends in 0, letting you spam the spell with reckless abandon.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

That loving Sned posted:

Final Fantasy X and XIII told you where to go next.
Oh, I'm talking about these mobile ports, not the remakes or relatively modern games in the series.

Also this is how Blitz works out:

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Al Baron posted:

Oh, I'm talking about these mobile ports, not the remakes or relatively modern games in the series.

That actually looks like it'll make a lot more sense to people than what Blitz has been, with everyone being confused on when you input the command/press A.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Al Baron posted:

It looks like the screen is trying to punch me.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Al Baron posted:

3D rendered towns on the world map, apparently.

Also holy crap a main quest helper. Hope you can turn that off.
Ridiculously ugly.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Xad posted:

That actually looks like it'll make a lot more sense to people than what Blitz has been, with everyone being confused on when you input the command/press A.

Wonder if the cardinal directions still count as adjacent diagonal inputs. That's the secret trick to doing blitzes without error really.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Holy god that screenshot is ugly. Its three different graphical qualities and styles pushed together like a geocities fan page of FFVI-2

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

Holy god that screenshot is ugly. Its three different graphical qualities and styles pushed together like a geocities fan page of FFVI-2

It seriously looks like someone's fake parody of an Android port. All it needs is a Microtransaction button.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Evil Fluffy posted:

This might make sense if Square hadn't taken Dragon Quest's spells and given them completely loving retarded names.

Icebolt, Snowstorm, Ice Spears, and Blizzard? gently caress that, here's Krack, Krackle, Kakrack and Kakrackle! :shepface:

Those spells are, in Japanese, Hyado, Hyadaruko, Hyadain, Mahyado. All of which are literal nonsense words, googling them only brings up Dragon Quest stuff (Except for Hyadain, who's a nerdy pop singer who takes his stage name from the spell.)

Like, those old names were boring descriptors compared to the silly spell names the Japanese and modern localizations have.

Seriously, before DQ8 every Dragon Quest game had pretty terrible localization.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I thought the -ara, -aga stuff was supposed to be magic words, like the spell names in Persona or Ultima. Like the names suggest there's some underlying formula to how people "say" magic in the game world, except the main component of the spell name is usually just an English word so it kind of clangs for the English speaking audience. Nier does this too, and throughout the game you pick up prefixes and suffixes that you can stick on your spells to improve them in various ways.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Al Baron posted:

3D rendered towns on the world map, apparently.

Also holy crap a main quest helper. Hope you can turn that off.

iirc they did 3D in FF5, but holy poo poo in FF6 it looks so much uglier. They didn't even try making Figaro look good. If that is supposed to be Figaro, maybe that's the imperial camp.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Why does Square insist on doing these comprehensively horrid graphic revamps? I can understand that the earlier 8-bit games needed a once-over to make them appealing to new players. But the pixel art in FFVI is gorgeous as is. The revamped version looks like some prepackaged graphics kit made mess.

Writing this, I just had a thought that literally made me shudder - what if Chrono Trigger is also re-released in "improved graphics mode" version? (Please tell me this isn't already in the works.)

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I think they already did Chrono Trigger and it was just upscaled from the SNES.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ozza posted:

Why does Square insist on doing these comprehensively horrid graphic revamps? I can understand that the earlier 8-bit games needed a once-over to make them appealing to new players. But the pixel art in FFVI is gorgeous as is. The revamped version looks like some prepackaged graphics kit made mess.

Writing this, I just had a thought that literally made me shudder - what if Chrono Trigger is also re-released in "improved graphics mode" version? (Please tell me this isn't already in the works.)

Maybe the conversions are being done by the lowest bidder.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

1st AD posted:

I think they already did Chrono Trigger and it was just upscaled from the SNES.

Phew!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

1st AD posted:

iirc they did 3D in FF5, but holy poo poo in FF6 it looks so much uglier. They didn't even try making Figaro look good. If that is supposed to be Figaro, maybe that's the imperial camp.

It's clearly Figaro and it has a lot of really tiny intricate detail. The question is why the characters look like such flat bland detailess poo poo if they can get the sort of detail they did with Figaro there. Or at the very least why they didn't even pretend to try for any sort of graphic consistency.

Edit:

Also, why does Setzer have breasts?

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 16, 2014

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Yeah I don't get it. The details AND style of almost all the objects are different. Like there's no cohesive theme amongst them. Terrible.

And the characters are objectively the worst thing on the screen. If anything, characters should always be the focal point. They can look better than the scenery or bg if needed. Don't make them look like they don't belong and like rear end besides.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Schwartzcough posted:

Edit:

Also, why does Setzer have breasts?

I think that's a cravat or something.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

God that is ugly. I actually don't mind the character portrait, but everything else is terrible.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

God that is ugly. I actually don't mind the character portrait, but everything else is terrible.

The character portrait is the only thing with visual appeal on the entire screen.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Why the hell not just I dunno, make FFVI 3DS? Is that too much work for poor wittle 2014 SE?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
This is amazing. They literally ran the wall layers through an SNES emulator filter, but straight-up made a completely new HD texture for the floor layer. The interactive elements like the stairs are pasted on just like in RPG Maker.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Mog posted:

Why the hell not just I dunno, make FFVI 3DS? Is that too much work for poor wittle 2014 SE?

They probably don't think it is popular enough to justify the development budget. FFIV got it because FFIV is the most popular in Japan and TAY got it because they could recycle 90% of FFIV DS.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Captain Mog posted:

As ugly as this game is turning out to be, I'll take it over the extremely terrible FF3 and 4 style they used for the DS remakes. Those were seriously the worst.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Does SquareEnix even do anything in-house anymore, beyond loving up production of their console titles? It seems like all these remakes and ports and such are being farmed out to no-name little development houses.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

As ugly as this game is turning out to be, I'll take it over the extremely terrible FF3 and 4 style they used for the DS remakes. Those were seriously the worst.
I definitely, definitely wouldn't. FF3 and 4 on the DS didn't look good, but at least they actually looked consistent and vaguely professional.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

Does SquareEnix even do anything in-house anymore, beyond loving up production of their console titles? It seems like all these remakes and ports and such are being farmed out to no-name little development houses.

Square letting people half-rear end ports of their games is nothing new, sadly. Just look at War of the Lions. And FF1 GBA/PSP's difficulty.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Last Celebration posted:

Square letting people half-rear end ports of their games is nothing new, sadly. Just look at War of the Lions. And FF1 GBA/PSP's difficulty.

As much as I want to play more of War of the Lions, the original 4:3 image smashed into the aspect ratio of a PSP just makes the game look loving hideous, especially because it uses so much 2D art. gently caress, what a wasted opportunity.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm curious, are there any really loving good ports, or are they all downhill from the originals?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Nihilarian posted:

I'm curious, are there any really loving good ports, or are they all downhill from the originals?

FFV for GBA.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

All the GBA and PSP ports are of exceptional quality.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The GBA port of FFVI has kind of wonkier music but fixing the Evade Bug and adding some extra content in general makes up for it to me.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

bobservo posted:

As much as I want to play more of War of the Lions, the original 4:3 image smashed into the aspect ratio of a PSP just makes the game look loving hideous, especially because it uses so much 2D art. gently caress, what a wasted opportunity.

The PSP remake of Tactics Ogre has pretty much ruined all versions of FFT for me forever. Well, unless S-E someday finds room in its cold little heart to do an overhaul of FFT with the same tender loving care as they did with TO.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Al Baron posted:

Holy gently caress this looks terrible. Did Square tell them they had to remake the tiles and UI from scratch or do they willingly continue to work with such a terrible and incompetent group of people?

Dr Pepper posted:

Those spells are, in Japanese, Hyado, Hyadaruko, Hyadain, Mahyado. All of which are literal nonsense words, googling them only brings up Dragon Quest stuff (Except for Hyadain, who's a nerdy pop singer who takes his stage name from the spell.)

Like, those old names were boring descriptors compared to the silly spell names the Japanese and modern localizations have.

Seriously, before DQ8 every Dragon Quest game had pretty terrible localization.

Yeah The ice spells I mentioned were far worse than what they were replaced with. Who needs spells like Ice Spears or Firebane when we can have Kakrack and Frizzle. That's some quality writing right there. :jerkbag:

I'll take the thee's and thou's of the old DQ games over the atrocious pun garbage DQ9 crammed everywhere possible.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah The ice spells I mentioned were far worse than what they were replaced with. Who needs spells like Ice Spears or Firebane when we can have Kakrack and Frizzle. That's some quality writing right there. :jerkbag:

I'll take the thee's and thou's of the old DQ games over the atrocious pun garbage DQ9 crammed everywhere possible.

DQ9 had some of the best localization of any video game sorry.

Dragon Quest is a silly and cartoonish series sorry you can't take silly things in a silly game.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I'm all for a translation to real Old English, the unpronounceable one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

When the Monkey Island games were ported to the iOS with (actually well done) revamped graphics, you could swipe two fingers across the screen at any time to flip between the new and old visuals. It'd be great if Square would do this for their releases too. Or at the very least change the font, because come on.