Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Fister Roboto posted:

So why not just Cure 3? Why does Cure 3 sound silly but Curaga doesn't?

I think Cure 3 sounds funnier when characters say it, but I don't actually understand why spell names have to be something the characters say or what the characters call them. You don't need Rydia to say "Fire!!!" when she melts the ice and gets over her fear in FF4, you can have her say some poo poo about invoking the flame or some gibberish magic words and then just the textbox "Rydia learned Fire!" that is meant to communicate with the player.

Spell names are for the person playing the game, not the characters. They don't have to be a reflection of any lore concept, and in many RPGs characters never say them aloud anyway. In D&D "Magic Missile" is just a spell that summons small bolts of magical energy. Your wizard can call it whatever he wants, or shoot magic missiles of any color he wants, and even if it has a verbal component to cast it can be a bunch of "bibiddy babaddy boo" poo poo or a lost word in Draconic or whatever and not him shouting "MAGIC MISSILE". A scroll of Magic Missile does not just say MAGIC MISSILE at the top. Yet some people don't seem to understand that even in D&D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I think Cure 3 sounds funnier when characters say it, but I don't actually understand why spell names have to be something the characters say or what the characters call them. You don't need Rydia to say "Fire!!!" when she melts the ice and gets over her fear in FF4, you can have her say some poo poo about invoking the flame or some gibberish magic words and then just the textbox "Rydia learned Fire!" that is meant to communicate with the player.

Spell names are for the person playing the game, not the characters. They don't have to be a reflection of any lore concept, and in many RPGs characters never say them aloud anyway. In D&D "Magic Missile" is just a spell that summons small bolts of magical energy. Your wizard can call it whatever he wants, or shoot magic missiles of any color he wants, and even if it has a verbal component to cast it can be a bunch of "bibiddy babaddy boo" poo poo or a lost word in Draconic or whatever and not him shouting "MAGIC MISSILE". A scroll of Magic Missile does not just say MAGIC MISSILE at the top. Yet some people don't seem to understand that even in D&D.

Counter-Point, D&D Wizards are dumb and anything we can do to make them look incompentant is good in my opinion.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Cure 3 is a perfectly functional name. Curaga is a flavorful and functional name.

And unlike Fal'Cie or whatever, it's root is readily apparent, so it's fairly intuitive once you get used to it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Do they still have it so Cure heals you and Heal cures you?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The weird thing with D&D is a few random spells do have names, like "Tenser's floating disc" or "Otiluke's icy sphere" so I can see where you'd get confused.

But yeah, Bolt 2 is just convenience for the player; I don't think a blackmage says "Bolt 2!" literally every time. I'm fine with Boltaga too though so whatever. (or Litaga or whatever they're calling it these days)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's Thundara. :v:

The basic spells are Fire, Thunder, Blizzard.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

It's Thundara. :v:

The basic spells are Fire, Thunder, Blizzard.

And only those three follow that rule. Aero and Water just become Aeroga and Wateraga with no inbetween for some reason and the only earth element spell is Quake. Comet becomes Meteor, sometimes it doesnt, and sometimes its reversed. Poison and Bio are loose cannons who play by their own rules.

The FF magic naming schemes are dumb as hell.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Look, these -a and -aga spells are cool and all, but none of it is as cool as FFII's magic system.* Let's see folks develop names up to a sixteenth tier for that game.

*Note: Not actually true

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Barudak posted:

And only those three follow that rule. Aero and Water just become Aeroga and Wateraga with no inbetween for some reason and the only earth element spell is Quake. Comet becomes Meteor, sometimes it doesnt, and sometimes its reversed. Poison and Bio are loose cannons who play by their own rules.

The FF magic naming schemes are dumb as hell.

Depends on the game, actually. In some, Aero, Quake, and Water get -ra, -ga, and -ja forms like the FF elemental trinity. That said, not a lot of FF games have all of them get these perks.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Barudak posted:

Not true, some games have Aerora and Watera. But if there isn't a second tier spell in that game they jump straight to the -ga tier.

Second and third tier Quake spells appeared in FF7 and Four Heroes of Light, they're called Quara and Quaga in HoL.

Poison is a Status effect spell, they're usually stand alone though occasionally there will be a group cast version with the -ga suffix.

Bio is a stand along spell in almost every game it's appeared in, with FF7 and FFT being the only exceptions, and as such in FFT they're called Biora and Bioga.

I am such a nerd.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Folt The Bolt posted:

Depends on the game, actually. In some, Aero, Quake, and Water get -ra, -ga, and -ja forms like the FF elemental trinity. That said, not a lot of FF games have all of them get these perks.

Yeah, I realized as I got further in that unless you're discussing the elemental trinity the rules are really arbitrary at what shows up. Don't forget some status spells like Slow go to Stop but for Haste you get Hastega.

Gravity is a complete clusterfuck being both that and Demi are the same spell except Graviga is Demi2 not Demi3 and Gravira only exists in two games where it replaces Demi2 as well. Even more confusingly the spell switches names from Demi for first tier to Gravija for second tier in FFVIII and FFX because somebody hates consistency.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Barudak posted:

Yeah, I realized as I got further in that unless you're discussing the elemental trinity the rules are really arbitrary at what shows up. Don't forget some status spells like Slow go to Stop but for Haste you get Hastega.

Slow and Stop are completely different status effects. :eng101:

They can in fact even be stacked if the enemy is able to be hit by both of them in most games. :v:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

Slow and Stop are completely different status elements. :eng101:

Yeah I thought about that but they're usually put in the same tree and treated as straight upgrades even though they aren't at all.

Scathe and Ultima also have no upgrade forms. Flare doesn't either that I think of?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Isn't Aera in FF5 and Watera in FF10?

Neo Rasa posted:

Do they still have it so Cure heals you and Heal cures you?

Cure still heals, but they renamed Heal to Esuna (spell)/Remedy (item).

Barudak posted:

Scathe and Ultima also have no upgrade forms. Flare doesn't either that I think of?

Megaflare/Gigaflare :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

Yeah I thought about that but they're usually put in the same tree and treated as straight upgrades even though they aren't at all.

Flare (and later Ultima) as well as Holy are treated as the higher tier of spells which is why they don't get upgrades. You do get 'special' upgrades for them sometimes but even that is usually something like a combination attack.

Slow and Stop are never treated as upgrades of one another. In every game they are in they are treated as mechanically different when it comes to resists.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Megaflare/Gigaflare :v:

Oh right. I think in FF Dimensions they make a big deal about Flare being the forbidden ultimate black magic and you can then promptly learn Gigaflare.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zaphod42 posted:

But yeah, Bolt 2 is just convenience for the player; I don't think a blackmage says "Bolt 2!" literally every time.
Tell that to FFT :colbert:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Barudak posted:

Oh right. I think in FF Dimensions they make a big deal about Flare being the forbidden ultimate black magic and you can then promptly learn Gigaflare.

In that Gigaflare is a combo attack of someone casting Flare and summoning Bahamut at the same time. So it's like, double forbidden power.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I hate this because Thunder is just the sound Lightning makes. Bolt or even Lit to save space makes sense.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

gently caress it, I'll just use blue magic instead.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

How in the world does Level 5 Death work in universe.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

Whatever you do, don't cast it in a kindergarten class.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

Dunno but Quistis can cast Level 1 Death which to me seems like the spell everyone should want to learn and use constantly.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Dr Pepper posted:

Uh, it kills everything whose level is a multiple of 5, duh

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Dr Pepper posted:

Is your birthday a multiple of 5? Dead.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Krad posted:

Is your birthday a multiple of 5? Dead.

Oh lord, I have to deal with Level 3 Flare and Level 2 Old then. :ohdear:

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

3D rendered towns on the world map, apparently.

Also holy crap a main quest helper. Hope you can turn that off.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Al Baron posted:

They seriously don't give a flying gently caress anymore, do they?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Al Baron posted:

Given the ? next to it I assume it's something you tap to get a hint.

I also don't see why a "hey, I haven't played for a while, were the hell was I supposed to be going again?" feature is a bad thing but apparently accessibility is bad in TYOOL 2014 :v:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Al Baron posted:

Like I'm the worlds least harsh critic of anything final fantasy but that screenshot is a huge turn-off for a prospective purchaser. It looks like two objects from different games photoshopped on a yellow background.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Al Baron posted:

Jesus, that looks awful.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
That looks like absolute shite

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dr Pepper posted:

No it isn't.

Like, how is it dumb? They're magic spells, not computer programs. "Cure 2" just sounds silly. It only existed because of cartridge size restrictions.

Like, you have to be really stupid to not get that the healing spell you learn much later in the game, with a higher MP cost, is stronger then the one you learned earlier.

This might make sense if Square hadn't taken Dragon Quest's spells and given them completely loving retarded names.

Icebolt, Snowstorm, Ice Spears, and Blizzard? gently caress that, here's Krack, Krackle, Kakrack and Kakrackle! :shepface:

Firebane was also the best goddamn spell name. It was also one of those spells where when you were a low-mid level you saw an enemy cast it for the first time and then promptly watched it do 30-40 or so damage to your party and goddamn that's a full Heal spell for everyone that attack hurts. It's not as bad as Phantasy Star's spell naming system but it's still dumb as poo poo. Then DQ9 went and make a pun out of every loving thing possible because bad puns never get old apparently.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

And once again we arrive at the Golden Truth; TWEWY is the best jRPG.

Look at this poor fool who has never played Earthbound. PSI [favorite thing] is the best spell.

They both sound silly, but Curaga at least sounds silly in a Fantasy kind of silly. Cure 3 sounds like a terrible named function or some computer program.

Honestly since FF started off as some weird D&D homage obviously they should be Cure Light Wounds, Cure Moderate Wounds, Cure Severe Wounds and Cure Critical Wounds.

-aga just means 'three' in their dumb little setting. You're basically saying "well uno, dos, and tres sound cool but one, two, and three sounds terrible." It's not like other games where you had actual spell names rather than a not-English numbering system like Final Fantasy moved to. If you ask someone who plays FF games what Firaja and Curaja would be they'll tell you it's the 4th fire and cure spells, aka Fire 4 and Cure 4.

They both sound silly, but Curaga at least sounds silly in a Fantasy kind of silly. Cure 3 sounds like a terrible named function or some computer program.

Honestly since FF started off as some weird D&D homage obviously they should be Cure Light Wounds, Cure Moderate Wounds, Cure Severe Wounds and Cure Critical Wounds.

Cure 4 would be Heal, with 1-3 being cure light, serious, and critical. :rolldice:

Calling it Heal wouldn't have worked without renaming the Heal spell line to something else (I forget if D&D had the mass cure spells back then).

Barudak posted:

Slow is to Stop as Haste is to Quick.

e:

Al Baron posted:

I want to refuse to believe this is real, but apparently the Wii Ware retro game thing has a loving arrow tha points to the right in Super Mario Bros so I'm willing to believe Square Enix's idiot squad made the FF6 that terribly. I know the FF5 remake has some lazy poo poo in it but who is related to which Square executive(s) that this level of poo poo gets released multiple times and Square never bothers finding a new group to work with?

Hopefully Atlus never stops churning out stuff like Etrian Odyssey.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 16, 2014

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Al Baron posted:

I was actually kind of excited to see FF6 come to Android and iOS but I don't think I am anymore!

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

Kyrosiris posted:

Given the ? next to it I assume it's something you tap to get a hint.

I also don't see why a "hey, I haven't played for a while, were the hell was I supposed to be going again?" feature is a bad thing but apparently accessibility is bad in TYOOL 2014 :v:
I'm actually surprised it took SE this long to put one in.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kyrosiris posted:

Oh lord, I have to deal with Level 3 Flare and Level 2 Old then. :ohdear:

Are there any Level Prime spells?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Levantine posted:

It looks like two objects from different games photoshopped on a yellow background.

Because this is truth.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

There's Level ? Holy, which the ? corresponds to the tens(?) digit of the money of the caster, so... sorta?

There's also Level Prime Death from FF12.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Final Fantasy X and XIII told you where to go next. Arguably, it's more necessary in FFVI where you might need to pay attention to the dialogue to know where to go next, but those two games only let you go forwards or backwards.

It's still incredibly annoying and intrusive. They could have done it like Final Fantasy IV DS, where in the menu one of your characters has a thought that hints at where you need to go.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

No joke, I was totally going to get that in an hour until I saw that screenshot. I'll just boot up my GBA, thank you very much.

Does the Calculator job in FFT count?

No Lv: Happy though, thank god

Hit or miss Clitoris fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 16, 2014