Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brick cow
Oct 22, 2008

Phanatic posted:

this douche

Ahh, you're making me homesick for eastern PA. :allears:

I'm surprised the beer guys didn't beat the ever living poo poo out of him though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

brick cow posted:

Ahh, you're making me homesick for eastern PA. :allears:

I'm surprised the beer guys didn't beat the ever living poo poo out of him though.

I'm shocked they didn't hire some guys to have him beat but good. Now I want a roast pork.

breadingbutter
Dec 28, 2013

by Ralp

Liquid Communism posted:

I am however advocating that you contact your state labor board right loving now, determine if repeatedly bounced paychecks are considered constructive dismissal, and if you can walk and soak his dumb rear end for unemployment for it.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
My boss decided to use some left over bread to make a burger for staff lunch. It got a little large

The egg is for scale

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Megaburger. Sell it.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

The egg is for scale

Was gonna give you poo poo for that until I saw the multiple fried eggs on there. Nicely done. That's a good boss you got there, Lou.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Phanatic posted:

There's this guy named Matt Swartz.

Just crazy enough to be true.

I have the arrest warrant for my last boss framed at home. Nothing truly righteous like our friend Matt, just unpaid parking tickets. He decided such matters were the wheelhouse of the restaurant manager and not, say, his lawyer. This is the same guy who put the ice box in the shitter.

Currently working on a thesis paper that people with no food service experience who open restaurants are Not So Smart In The Brainbox, seeking a publisher and peer review.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
I want a sign in flashing neon lights above my head saying "When I tell you I am trying to find you a better table, PLEASE BELIEVE ME" because I really could've done without the Russian tourists wreaking havoc as they decided to move tables around in sections by themselves when they ended up very satisfied with the table I switched them to. (Just let me have a minute without your demands in a language I don't speak and listen to your friend who is interpreting for me instead of shushing her so I can make it happen!) I don't understand why it's so hard to believe that if I, as the hostess, make you happy, it'll actually be easier for me in the long run than me ignoring you, because otherwise you won't stop bothering me and I can't do my job. :argh:

I also want hotel concierges to tell us when their guests want to be seated in a certain area, because we're not goddamn psychics and it happens WAY too often that a party shows up, says they requested sushi bar seating through the hotel, and we have no record because the concierge didn't think to type an extra three words ("Sushi Bar Please") into OpenTable. :doh:

And while I'm at it, I want world peace and a rainbow-flanked three-headed unicorn. Mostly that last one.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Host(ess)ing is a road that leads only to tears.

CosmicCornflake
Nov 3, 2011

Trebuchet King posted:

Tears and alcohol.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.

Trebuchet King posted:

Is it a coincidence Hostess went bankrupt?

ohemgee
Jun 24, 2006

drink to bones that turn to dust

Kimitsu posted:

I want a sign in flashing neon lights above my head saying "When I tell you I am trying to find you a better table, PLEASE BELIEVE ME" because I really could've done without the Russian tourists wreaking havoc as they decided to move tables around in sections by themselves when they ended up very satisfied with the table I switched them to. (Just let me have a minute without your demands in a language I don't speak and listen to your friend who is interpreting for me instead of shushing her so I can make it happen!) I don't understand why it's so hard to believe that if I, as the hostess, make you happy, it'll actually be easier for me in the long run than me ignoring you, because otherwise you won't stop bothering me and I can't do my job. :argh:
On the other side of that coin, there seems to be a consensus at the place I work at, that if the host/hostess isn't seating you, that they obviously hate you. Never mind the fact that the reataurant has a huge fireplace and when I have five tables in a row say "Ohh, do you have the fireplace going? Can we sit by it??" that we have to honor it and seat them at the tables closest to the fireplace.

And that's after the "I need to sit by the window/against the wall/in a corner/at a larger table" requests.

Now that I'm a server too, I've found that I still have little to no patience for servers' whining.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Tweek posted:

Is it a coincidence Hostess went bankrupt?

No coincidence there. The management deliberately drove it bankrupt to let the venture capitalists who owned it sell it piecemeal to extract the last bit of quick profits. Kind of the opposite of restaurant management, if you will.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

ohemgee posted:

Now that I'm a server too, I've found that I still have little to no patience for servers' whining.

For the love of god don't ever read one of those buzzfeed articles that servers like to post about being minorly inconvenienced on facebook. I'm pretty sure I clicked on one out of curiosity and I almost had an aneurysm.

edit: IIRC the one I read basically said stuff like "don't make me split the check or don't send stuff back or else I'll gently caress with your food", which is pretty impressive coming from people who depend on tips to make ends meet.

I actually had a really awkward conversation with a friend of mine recently when he quit a job bartending saying that they were "paying him so little that it wasn't worth his time". He still made more than me than I ever did while cooking.

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 14, 2014

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

I got the job. Just under 6 years working at an upscale Mediterranean cafe, now I'm Exec at a bistro attached to a movie theater. Completely different food and entirely new responsibilities, some of which I have no experience in. Should be fun.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Business Gorillas posted:

For the love of god don't ever read one of those buzzfeed articles that servers like to post about being minorly inconvenienced on facebook. I'm pretty sure I clicked on one out of curiosity and I almost had an aneurysm.

edit: IIRC the one I read basically said stuff like "don't make me split the check or don't send stuff back or else I'll gently caress with your food", which is pretty impressive coming from people who depend on tips to make ends meet.

I actually had a really awkward conversation with a friend of mine recently when he quit a job bartending saying that they were "paying him so little that it wasn't worth his time". He still made more than me than I ever did while cooking.

Should be followed up with a note from the cooks.

'gently caress with their food and they will never find your body.'

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013
I was a breakfast "cook" for Mcdonalds for 4 years. I made things not on the menu, I combined all sorts of items not original intended, I accommodated special requests and never once received a tip. Which I was fine with, however, don't mess with the cute girls upfront and make them mad... or your sandwich is totally getting special sauce.

Cheers!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Minclark posted:

I was a breakfast "cook" for Mcdonalds for 4 years. I made things not on the menu, I combined all sorts of items not original intended, I accommodated special requests and never once received a tip. Which I was fine with, however, don't mess with the cute girls upfront and make them mad... or your sandwich is totally getting special sauce.

Cheers!

Oh okay well have you considered killing yourself for being a horrible embarrassment to an industry that you were only tangentially involved with?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Oh okay well have you considered killing yourself for being a horrible embarrassment to an industry that you were only tangentially involved with?

One can only hope.

ohemgee
Jun 24, 2006

Business Gorillas posted:

I think I have seen that article and half of them had me rolling my eyes. What's so difficult about splitting a check? We're taught spot seating, and MICROS makes splitting up a check really easy.

Honestly, learning the menu and knowing how to put guest requests into the prep screen (aaand keeping the managers happy...) are probably the hardest part. So when they're all standing around complaining about their tips and/or the hosts it makes me want to go ape-poo poo. On the days that I'm a hostess, I get paid way less and put up with 10x more of guest bullshit.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Nope! I still make the best bacon. Add some steak seasoning and separate your bacon tray into 3 stacks: super crunch, crunch and soft. Then when your regulars come up to the front you can get them the bacon done the way they want. Watch those timers though you don't want to waste food.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

ohemgee posted:

On the other side of that coin, there seems to be a consensus at the place I work at, that if the host/hostess isn't seating you, that they obviously hate you. Never mind the fact that the reataurant has a huge fireplace and when I have five tables in a row say "Ohh, do you have the fireplace going? Can we sit by it??" that we have to honor it and seat them at the tables closest to the fireplace.

And that's after the "I need to sit by the window/against the wall/in a corner/at a larger table" requests.

Hassling the host should be a punishable offence at any decent restaurant.

Also, how many of those fireplace tables asked to be moved because they were too hot? ;-)

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Oh god someone's opening a high concept new American joint in my hood and asked me about setting up a bar program. Why am I taking this meeting? Don't I know I'll never have another day off, just like last time? Why is my life only fun when it's on fire?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Vegetable Melange posted:

Oh god someone's opening a high concept new American joint in my hood and asked me about setting up a bar program. Why am I taking this meeting? Don't I know I'll never have another day off, just like last time? Why is my life only fun when it's on fire?

Because you are a broken shell of a man.

It's okay, you're among good company. :getin:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Welp, I started today. Sort of. This is going to be Interesting. They don't QUITE have their poo poo together. My first day, last night, I walked in on time and they were confused as to why the hell I was there, but their notes confirmed I was meant to be there, so they randomly threw me at a table where a really bored waiter who really obviously wanted to leave with his GF was mumbling through a quiz with two other buss- sorry, BACKWAITERS. So I wrote poo poo down but then it got taken from me because I had no idea it was a quiz, making the sheet look like a shcizophrenic's chicken scratch. Then I ate a shitload of tasty food he just randomly ordered.

Then the next day I met the head guy and he flipped a piss because I was supposed to have done paperwork yesterday, but the one in charge completely bypassed that (and acted confused when I told her the night before I was there for paperwork).

Regardless, if I do well as a busser, waiter tryouts are at the end of the month, so I plan to study hard and ace poo poo and keep a suitably embarrassed look on my face at how unorganized they're being so far. Frankly this really isn't going to be hard, but they keep playing it up like it is. Same old same old to me. The one sticking point is that I need to never, ever bring food to the wrong table, since the policy is to LEAVE IT THERE and let the guests have it free, which seems like code for "You gently caress this up once, and you're loving dead."

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Hahahah that sounds like it's gonna be a fun gig.

ohemgee
Jun 24, 2006

Wroughtirony posted:

Also, how many of those fireplace tables asked to be moved because they were too hot? ;-)
I'll pass by the table later, and a lot of the time they've made someone at the table play musical chairs with them. Fire is hot, who knew ;)

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Minclark posted:

Nope! I still make the best bacon. Add some steak seasoning and separate your bacon tray into 3 stacks: super crunch, crunch and soft. Then when your regulars come up to the front you can get them the bacon done the way they want. Watch those timers though you don't want to waste food.

drat good poo poo, sir. *takes notes*

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

Willie Tomg posted:

drat good poo poo, sir. *takes notes*

Have a customer looking for something different, throw some mac sauce and scrambled eggs on you BEC bagel. Lightly toast it and don't forget the swipe of butter *mindblown*

Vanilla Ice cream machine seem a little boring? Grab a giant cup throw some root beer in there and put it under the vanilla spicket for Root Beer floats!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
i am literally unsure of who is more insincere right now

poe's law is a motherfucker

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Let's not get all anxious to make fun of dude for working in fast food rather than restaurant dining. It's all poo poo, we're all undervalued and underpaid, and we're all working really hard to make money for an rear end in a top hat who doesn't give a gently caress about us.

Amen.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That reminds me it's time to call in for my on-call shift to see if I put my day on hold for any reason or not.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Kenning posted:

That reminds me it's time to call in for my on-call shift to see if I put my day on hold for any reason or not.

This is the worst thing. Two busy summer weekends hit, an inexperienced manager says "oh, I'll leave x and z 'on call' in case we experience too much volume". Bullshit. Staff according to anticipated demand, anticipate demand using last years numbers (where applicable), and have a better pressure relief than a confused looking hostess and a manager who ends up running food anyway. Pro tip: if you have enough unused cap on a given late week night to have a swing/call sever, you have dead space.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Incredibly busy at work right now

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.

bowmore posted:

Incredibly busy at work right now

Ouch, buddy.

Yeah, when we get that slow, managers start playing around with the printer system.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kenning posted:

Let's not get all anxious to make fun of dude for working in fast food rather than restaurant dining. It's all poo poo, we're all undervalued and underpaid, and we're all working really hard to make money for an rear end in a top hat who doesn't give a gently caress about us.

Amen.

A-fuckin-men. One of the other cooks today was bitching about working under idiots, and I just nodded and kept quiet mostly. This is his first, and maybe only, foodservice job. He was also bitching about "why put forth a good, hard effort above and beyond when other people don't?" :gonk:

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Capturing the moment from hair-loopies to big bellies.
What a cluster gently caress tonight, we somehow ended up 40 short on our stuffed chicken for our plated dinner tonight. First time this has ever happened, embarrassingly bad mistake.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Vegetable Melange posted:

This is the worst thing. Two busy summer weekends hit, an inexperienced manager says "oh, I'll leave x and z 'on call' in case we experience too much volume". Bullshit. Staff according to anticipated demand, anticipate demand using last years numbers (where applicable), and have a better pressure relief than a confused looking hostess and a manager who ends up running food anyway. Pro tip: if you have enough unused cap on a given late week night to have a swing/call sever, you have dead space.

Yeah. It's bullshit, and probably illegal. I've been doing a bit of research into national/California law around on-call employment and I think I can make the case that they need to pay me my two hours even if they don't call me in. I bet that would alter calculations a bit.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.
We have a 32 top tomorrow and a guy working the line that has only worked like 4 shifts and is totally lovely. We are gonna get blown up and chef is gonna freak.

We also had a dude leave a Yelp review where he claimed that we served him pork shoulder instead of pork belly. While at the restaurant that night, he asked if he could have pork belly on something else besides the dish it is served on. Got huffy when the manager said no and then got super huffy when, after he ordered the pork belly, it wasn't crisped and sliced. We just braise it and send it out warmed in the braising liquid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Kenning posted:

Yeah. It's bullshit, and probably illegal. I've been doing a bit of research into national/California law around on-call employment and I think I can make the case that they need to pay me my two hours even if they don't call me in. I bet that would alter calculations a bit.

I had to look into that for myself awhile back and as far as the FLSA is concerned, the determining factor is whether or not you have to be at your place of employment while you're on call, and the frequency of calls. This might help: http://www.dol.gov/elaws/esa/flsa/hoursworked/default.asp

• Locked thread