Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

psydude posted:

$65k minimum; ask for $80k or more, more PTO (2 weeks, seriously?), higher matching percentage on your 401k or whatever, and stock options or profit sharing.

I don't think you realize how much poo poo you're going to be dealing with as the security policy guy for a financial institution.

He probably means one of many security officers; everyone in banks is a VP or officer, basically.

$30k is awful. Even for Arkansas. IS is where the security money is, really, and you're not touching that, but ask for 40 or 45.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

evol262 posted:

He probably means one of many security officers; everyone in banks is a VP or officer, basically.

$30k is awful. Even for Arkansas. IS is where the security money is, really, and you're not touching that, but ask for 40 or 45.

$1 billion isn't very big for a bank. I wouldn't be surprised if he was one of few, if not the only one.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

CloFan posted:

I do not do any hands-on IT; we have a sister company that does all networking, hardware, programming, troubleshooting, etc.

Currently, I'm hourly and being paid $30k/yr. Keep in mind, I'm in rural Arkansas (low cost of living) and not willing to relocate at this time. I know i will remain hourly after the promotion, and some of those extracurricular duties will be dropped. With the Officer title, I will have 15 days vacation. Bonuses are 1-2% annually. Training costs of certificates will be paid.

I don't know what pay will be offered with this position. I'm planning on asking for a 15% raise to 34.5k. I know you'll say that's too little, but that's ok; all advice and opinions are welcome!

Yeah 55-65k should be your high ball park, remember ask high because they will try to negotiate down anything. I'd shoot more for 45-55 and see what other deals you can swing with it.

psydude posted:

$65k minimum; ask for $80k or more, more PTO (2 weeks, seriously?), higher matching percentage on your 401k or whatever, and stock options or profit sharing.

I don't think you realize how much poo poo you're going to be dealing with as the security policy guy for a financial institution.

True but he also has to be sure just to throw wild numbers around. If he asks for something absurd to what the bank can do, they might tighten the belt of further negotiations of pay, or ask for insight as to why he feels his pay should be at that level. For all we know it could be a farmers bank/local towne back and the HQ is in a smalling sized. If 30k is relative to the cost of living, which in some parts of AK I can easily see, asking something like 40-55 is most likely a realist goal.

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Thanks gentlemen.

For most of my tenure, I've been in a position of T1 Support and IT gruntwork. Mostly password resets, plenty of AD/Exchange work and troubleshooting, standard virus removal, buildouts of a few machines, some project support work (Verify X information so that we can create automated tools) Most recently my place in the org has been documentation and compiling assessment and environment reports for our clients and prospective clients.

I've sort of been that guy in the office to my embarrassment, the one who seems to be failing in funny ways according to the STPYOD thread, but I'll say I've never quite had egg on my face the same time twice.

For a long time I've suspected that I'm having a train run on me, but today's meeting has been... enlightening. More pay or YOTJ is now my only acceptable outcome now. I still live at home getting a degree. But Goddamn! I was the rogue all along.

I hate to be that guy but while everyone is saying gently caress that. I'm not too sure your IT career history? 12.50 is poo poo for where you are but if you are starting a first venture into IT I'd hate to say but hang on till 1 year if you can, but in the mean time search for greener pastures.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 15, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

psydude posted:

this.

minimally.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

frogbert posted:

Can anyone here recommend good password management software?

I have a bunch of groups that like to keep all their passwords in excel documents or word files.

Ideally the software would support multiple users and perhaps AD Authentication so I can disable users/groups from having access to certain stored passwords.

Any ideas?

I rock the pleasant password server, based on keep pass.

http://www.pleasantsolutions.com/passwordserver/

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Quick background-- I worked during college in the IT department for 3 years as a general technician, but couldn't stay on after I graduated. Got a job as a teller at this bank in late 2010, promoted to InfoSec Analyst (a position created for me) in August 2012 at $12.50/hr. So, I've got a year and a half of IS experience.

psydude posted:

I'm going to study that negotiation article linked on the last page; problem is, I don't know how much negotiation room I have. PTO is determined by policy (and that's 3 weeks), 401k matching determined by policy (6%), no stock options (privately held) and I don't have a clue about profit sharing. HR is secretive about payscales, but I know that one of the 6 CEOs is at $120k.

psydude posted:

$1 billion isn't very big for a bank. I wouldn't be surprised if he was one of few, if not the only one.
Bingo.

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Yeah 55-65k should be your high ball park, remember ask high because they will try to negotiate down anything. I'd shoot more for 45-55 and see what other deals you can swing with it.

True but he also has to be sure just to throw wild numbers around. If he asks for something absurd to what the bank can do, they might tighten the belt of further negotiations of pay, or ask for insight as to why he feels his pay should be at that level. For all we know it could be a farmers bank/local towne back and the HQ is in a smalling sized. If 30k is relative to the cost of living, which in some parts of AK I can easily see, asking something like 40-55 is most likely a realist goal.
It is a community development bank with HQ in a town of 10,000. I'd say 40-55 is realistic and achievable; I just don't know if they're willing to put it on the table. I can certainly ask, though!

CloFan fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 15, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CloFan posted:

Quick background-- I worked during college in the IT department for 3 years as a general technician, but couldn't stay on after I graduated. Got a job as a teller at this bank in late 2010, promoted to InfoSec Analyst (a position created for me) in August 2012 at $12.50/hr.
Yo buddy you're being taken advantage of.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
We're desperately running out of DHCP space, and our VPN address pool is a total of 10 addresses, when there are always at least 6-8 people logged in.

The last sysadmin here set up this clustermess so that the main router has a 10.7./16 address, the firewall has a 10.7.6./23 address, and the servers all have 10.7.7./24 addresses. I'm sure leaving the router the way it is is fine, but is there any harm in "hot-swapping" the subnet mask of the firewall and the servers to be, say, /21? That way I would have access to 10.7.0.0 - 10.7.7.254 and would have plenty of room to grow, to segment, to assign scopes, mmm... it makes me feel all warm just thinking about it.

I can't imagine any huge disaster aside from a few seconds of downtime on the servers.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

QPZIL posted:

We're desperately running out of DHCP space, and our VPN address pool is a total of 10 addresses, when there are always at least 6-8 people logged in.

The last sysadmin here set up this clustermess so that the main router has a 10.7./16 address, the firewall has a 10.7.6./23 address, and the servers all have 10.7.7./24 addresses. I'm sure leaving the router the way it is is fine, but is there any harm in "hot-swapping" the subnet mask of the firewall and the servers to be, say, /21? That way I would have access to 10.7.0.0 - 10.7.7.254 and would have plenty of room to grow, to segment, to assign scopes, mmm... it makes me feel all warm just thinking about it.

I can't imagine any huge disaster aside from a few seconds of downtime on the servers.

Other than that being a shitload of machines on the same subnet, your logic is sound I think.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

QPZIL posted:

Wait, what? If your servers are on a /24, how are they talking to the main router on a /16? Or does everything have a /16 mask but you're just describing the reserved blocks with CIDR notation?

Either I'm misreading your post, or your network is truly hosed. Do you have a diagram handy?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Cenodoxus posted:

Wait, what? If your servers are on a /24, how are they talking to the main router on a /16? Or does everything have a /16 mask but you're just describing the reserved blocks with CIDR notation?

Either I'm misreading your post, or your network is truly hosed. Do you have a diagram handy?

[router (/16)] ---> [firewall (/23)] ---> [switches] ---> [servers and workstations]

It's only one building, with just one router, a firewall, and maybe 8-10 switches. I'm not just being convenient with the CIDR notation, the router has a 255.255.0.0 mask, the firewall has a 255.255.254.0 mask, and the servers have a 255.255.255.0 mask.

Before I got here, every little "IT job" that needed doing was subcontracted out, so... it's a mess. I'll probably actually go with /22 so I'll just have 10.7.4.1 - 10.7.7.254 to work with.

AlternateAccount posted:

Other than that being a shitload of machines on the same subnet, your logic is sound I think.

Layer 3 switches for segmentation is on my project list for sometime this year :smith:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
There shouldn't be any need for the masks to match across devices as long as the addresses machines know to talk to are in their subnet, but... I can't say I have ever seen it done that way or at all understand what the advantage would be.

You should be able to put that into a more sensible scheme without breaking anything. One /24 for your servers and the internal side of your firewall and then something else on the outside, I am not sure why they would put a /16 in there. If all the internal machines are set on a /24, it will be fine. The extra addresses in the /23 on your firewall have nothing to talk to.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

evil_bunnY posted:

$12.50, seeing how that is DOUBLE Arkansas minimum wage at today's date and he mentioned he lives in a small town. Cost of living is most likely very low, I'm talking 44k median income for one of their biggest cities. Cost of living has a big influence on pay, sure I could move to Nova and hit up some jobs hitting 100k easy, but the cost of living would instantly make that salary to something relative to a 55k salary in Hampton Roads.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

$12.50, seeing how that is DOUBLE Arkansas minimum wage at today's date and he mentioned he lives in a small town. Cost of living is most likely very low, I'm talking 44k median income for one of their biggest cities. Cost of living has a big influence on pay, sure I could move to Nova and hit up some jobs hitting 100k easy, but the cost of living would instantly make that salary to something relative to a 55k salary in Hampton Roads.

Turns out that double Akransas minimum wage for someone who has been at a company for two years and has been PROMOTED into that wage for an IT position still qualifies as being taken advantage of.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Given what we know about the South and minimum wage in general, I doubt minimum wage is a good number to go off of when it comes to living wages and fair pay.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I don't think I'm going to be basing the fairness of my earnings on a comparison to minimum wage any time soon.

That said, I negotiated a 15% raise today! :cheers:

In Dilbert-speak that's about six times my Midwestern states' minimum wage.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

CloFan posted:

Well a promotion is imminent, so I might as well join salarychat, even though you guys will laugh at me :shobon:I don't know what pay will be offered with this position. I'm planning on asking for a 15% raise to 34.5k. I know you'll say that's too little, but that's ok; all advice and opinions are welcome!
It sounds like a generic security officer and not IS security specifically. Honestly, the user provisioning stuff you have listed sounds like overkill for a bank of that size. I would imagine that a $1B community bank is only about 20 branches and 200 employees? Even in Arkansas, I'd ask for $50k at least though. While banking is full of officers, it doesn't change the fact that you are an officer.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A recruiter just sent me details for a role described as desktop support but definitely listing Windows Server and Exchange in the spec, as well as AD, deployment and multi-site AD.

Salary is listed as "up to £30k".

Address is in Marylebone.

What the gently caress is wrong with this industry.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Caged posted:

A recruiter just sent me details for a role described as desktop support but definitely listing Windows Server and Exchange in the spec, as well as AD, deployment and multi-site AD.

Salary is listed as "up to £30k".

Address is in Marylebone.

What the gently caress is wrong with this industry.

A recruiter approached me on LinkedIn a few weeks ago and offered me £13k for first-line in Greater London. I said no and asked her why the salary was so low, when the cost of living in the area is obviously incredibly high. She responded by saying that, whilst it's a full time role it was viewed by the company as similar to an apprenticeship and thus will be minimum wage. Despite requiring certifications, and not helping the employee gain any further skills :wtc:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If I'm not mistaken, a decent second-hand car in the UK is around £5k. So that would mean that even buying a car to get to work would be more than 1/3 of your pre-tax salary

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Unfortunately I think I'm losing out on offers due to my insistence that people make an offer rather than me naming a salary (even though that might be a good way to weed out poo poo companies), and IT Jobs Watch is all over the place on salaries since job titles rarely match job spec. I've come up with a figure for administering AD/Exchange/VMware of £35k at the bare minimum assuming interesting work, company pays for certs and real opportunities to get a raise 12 months down the line. Some people want to chop £10k off that figure which is just laughable in such an expensive city.

I'd lose about £2700 a year straight up on a rail season ticket, so it just doesn't make sense to agree to anything that pays so little.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I'm getting $25k (salary) to work help desk. I live in SW PA (but am working in WV). I was looking for ~30k. I have no experience at all and a degree from a community college. $25k is barely enough to live on (in a 2 income household) but I was planning on having this job for 6 months/a year or so and then looking for something better. I started in November.

I like the company ok and the people I'm working with are all seemingly good at their jobs. It wouldn't be a bad place to stay if the money gets better, I don't think. Unless this poor initial salary is just a precursor of what is to come?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

This is the truth I need I think. I'm going to go in swinging at 50k, hopefully that doesn't gently caress me :v:

adorai posted:

Honestly, the user provisioning stuff you have listed sounds like overkill for a bank of that size. I would imagine that a $1B community bank is only about 20 branches and 200 employees? Even in Arkansas, I'd ask for $50k at least though. While banking is full of officers, it doesn't change the fact that you are an officer.

Double those numbers; 40 branches and 400 employees. What do you mean by user provisioning is overkill?

Honestly, I'm looking to get this title, get some more experience and some free certs, then GTFO/:yotj: out of financial services. Unfortunately, since I'm in a small town (and literally just bought a house), options are limited to what randomly comes up. I did apply for a Systems Admin position today though; linux experience required, which I don't have so I don't think I'll get a call. I am definitely more interested in systems admin and network admin than IS, that's for sure.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Companies will always attempt to keep helpdesk workers at the helpdesk. If you want to make a decent salary, you'll have to pick up a desktop gig or some kind of admin position, and the likelihood of you doing that at your current company is very, very low.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

psydude posted:

Companies will always attempt to keep helpdesk workers at the helpdesk. If you want to make a decent salary, you'll have to pick up a desktop gig or some kind of admin position, and the likelihood of you doing that at your current company is very, very low.

I work at a dumbfuck company that will promote anyone anywhere. Want to be an admin? Want to be a programmer? Did you used to work I. Accounting? gently caress it the job is yours!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

psydude posted:

Finding good people to work your helpdesk is a loving challenge. The reality is that the ones you want that will make the helpdesk manager a superstar won't stay at the helpdesk for long. Most successful helpdesk managers are great at convincing great employees to sabotage their careers by staying in the dregs longer than they needed to.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

When I interviewed, they said everyone in IT starts at the help desk. This may be a thing that everyone says? But the two guys I interviewed with started at help desk 10 or so years ago and now they're management. Obviously not a path everyone can take, I get that. But there are 5 or so sysadmins and a couple of programmers and I think most of them did start at the help desk (although I don't know how long they stayed there). Supposedly the company is expanding, but again that could just be a thing everyone says. Every company is doing great right up until they aren't...

I'm not attached to the company that much. If they make it worth my while then I'll stay, and if not I won't. I already started updating my LinkedIn profile thanks to that thread I just found out about like two days ago. My resume is next (I use the goon resume thing before and I think I'll have him update it for me).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think that was probably true of 10 years ago, now every company seems to want 15 years experience in a technology that first appeared 6 months ago and any questions relating to what sort of opportunities there are for progressing with that company are met with blank stares. It's like everyone's forgotten how to invest in their staff.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

myron cope posted:

When I interviewed, they said everyone in IT starts at the help desk. This may be a thing that everyone says? But the two guys I interviewed with started at help desk 10 or so years ago and now they're management. Obviously not a path everyone can take, I get that. But there are 5 or so sysadmins and a couple of programmers and I think most of them did start at the help desk (although I don't know how long they stayed there). Supposedly the company is expanding, but again that could just be a thing everyone says. Every company is doing great right up until they aren't...

I'm not attached to the company that much. If they make it worth my while then I'll stay, and if not I won't. I already started updating my LinkedIn profile thanks to that thread I just found out about like two days ago. My resume is next (I use the goon resume thing before and I think I'll have him update it for me).

The number of people who have heard "room for promotion" from their manager while working a job that paid poo poo who have also read this thread is probably staggering.

Take promises as a grain of salt in business. Only believe in what is actually happening.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Roargasm posted:

Anyone have experience with a volume purchase of Dell Optiplex 3011 All-In-Ones? I'm looking at the i3-3220, Windows 7 pro model for $630 a unit. They would be replacing C2D fatty desktops with 1024x768 monitors :gonk:

I've bought a couple and they're ok but really plastic-y. They look and feel as cheap as they are.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

myron cope posted:

I'm getting $25k (salary) to work help desk. I live in SW PA (but am working in WV). I was looking for ~30k. I have no experience at all and a degree from a community college. $25k is barely enough to live on (in a 2 income household) but I was planning on having this job for 6 months/a year or so and then looking for something better. I started in November.

I like the company ok and the people I'm working with are all seemingly good at their jobs. It wouldn't be a bad place to stay if the money gets better, I don't think. Unless this poor initial salary is just a precursor of what is to come?

Helpdesk is hard to negotiate with getting more money or promotions, mostly because they can usually find some other person to do the same task with no hesitation.

I'd be shocked if you got any substantial raise, I'd just look getting the experience, nab a cert or two, and move out.

myron cope posted:

Pretty much any company can say "room to grow" because yes you could grow, however that would take years and years, and by then you probably could have changed jobs, gotten some salary bumps and be well ahead of where they are.

I'd see how big their helpdesk is now, if it's something relatively small and mostly fresh blood they could be telling the truth that it's only temporary. But it's a fail safe for them because they can always come back and say "well just don't have anything open for you right now, just stay on the helpdesk a bit longer and we will see".

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 16, 2014

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
If anything, having my anger at what I was offered yesterday has ignited a new fire inside of me. MCSA Server, VCP-DCV, and CCNA here I come! In the short term I will attempt to negotiate and accept the offer in the mid term, about april ish, maybe I'll have something new lined up or at least start interviewing for new positions as that will mark a one year point in my employment and my career.

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 16, 2014

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

CloFan posted:

Double those numbers; 40 branches and 400 employees. What do you mean by user provisioning is overkill?
Well I was not expecting that many branches or employees for that asset size, so maybe you have more churn than I expected. But our $3B bank does probably 5 new users a week, and therefore I think even putting review of new user accounts on anyone's job description is overkill. HR submits the ticket, we provide a new user account to the training department for onboarding. We do audit events related to account creation, so there is at least a modicum of review.

Believe me I'm not making GBS threads on your title, I understand how banking works. Some examiner said you should be doing this one day, they added the role to someone, now you have an opportunity to get an officer title (and corresponding raise and a nice line on your resume). I'd do the same thing if I were in your position.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Caged posted:

I think that was probably true of 10 years ago, now every company seems to want 15 years experience in a technology that first appeared 6 months ago and any questions relating to what sort of opportunities there are for progressing with that company are met with blank stares. It's like everyone's forgotten how to invest in their staff.

Now ? I saw an ad in the San Francisco Chronicle that wanted 10 years internet sales experience. In 1997.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

mllaneza posted:

Now ? I saw an ad in the San Francisco Chronicle that wanted 10 years internet sales experience. In 1997.
Hey, the first email spam was 1978.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I like the companies that really decide to mix it up a bit in technological generations. Yeah, we want someone who is an expert on SDN, SPB, Token Ring, and had experience with FDDI.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

A local company here had an ad for Windows Server 2008, VMWare and RPG/iSeries experience. Yeah...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GreenNight posted:

A local company here had an ad for Windows Server 2008, VMWare and RPG/iSeries experience. Yeah...

What role-playing games do they want experience with?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Bob Morales posted:

What role-playing games do they want experience with?

Exactly. No one under 50 knows RPG programming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GreenNight posted:

Exactly. No one under 50 knows RPG programming.

I was just about to say "Hey! I know someone who knows RPG and she's... probably about 50... actually a bit beyond that"

• Locked thread