Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

SymfonyMan posted:

I wish they'd just kill off Laurel's character. She seems completely pointless. Or maybe it's just the wooden acting. She's so stiff it looks like she's high on benzos trying not to fall over in her heel in each scene.

Thats exactly whats happening to the character :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, guess she nailed it.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Torrannor posted:

I'm defending the death of several characters in Arrow, so I'm not in the camp that major characters should not die. And I am sorry for GRRM derail. I just wanted to say that there are bullshit mortality levels, wether they are far too high or far too low (with shows where all major characters are basically immortal).

I can sort of agree as far as SOIAF being an example of excessive mortality, but I understand it's a matter of taste - I prefer the mortality and gritty grimdarkiness level to be a bit lower. In SOIAF I stopped caring since anything and everything remotely likable would either die or have a fate worse than death, unless they were likeable horrible people, in which case they'll probably die horribly anyway, just later. This show, or a Joss Whedon show doesn't even approach that level, so.. yeah. Letting important characters die is good, in moderation.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 15, 2014

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Aphrodite posted:

It has like 50 main characters and it's about a war.

If nobody died that would be ridiculous.

I, for one, was waiting for Ned to reach the precise stress level that would allow him to tap his latent, heretofore unsuspected magic powers, bust out of his shackles, and single-handedly overwhelm the guards with his newfound super strength before teleporting away.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Wolpertinger posted:

I can sort of agree as far as SOIAF being an example of excessive mortality, but I understand it's a matter of taste - I prefer the mortality and gritty grimdarkiness level to be a bit lower. In SOIAF I stopped caring since anything and everything remotely likable would either die or have a fate worse than death, unless they were likeable horrible people, in which case they'll probably die horribly anyway, just later. This show, or a Joss Whedon show doesn't even approach that level, so.. yeah. Letting important characters die is good, in moderation.

Yes exactly. For me there is a sweet spot. On the one hand there is not giving a poo poo because most POV characters will either die, be maimed/raped/tortured, or both! On the other hand, if no hero ever dies it becomes boring because there is never any tension about dangerous situations. And I think Arrow handles it well, especially since they are not afraid to do things differently than the comics.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh hey a pair of Slade swords only cost 24 bucks!
http://www.budk.com/product/Secret-Agent-Tactical-Ninja-Sword/159465.uts

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Scott Bakula posted:

Thats exactly whats happening to the character :v:

I should have clarified; I meant before that plotline!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SymfonyMan posted:

I should have clarified; I meant before that plotline!

It's called method acting.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

SymfonyMan posted:

I wish they'd just kill off Laurel's character. She seems completely pointless. Or maybe it's just the wooden acting. She's so stiff it looks like she's high on benzos trying not to fall over in her heel in each scene.

Arrow Season 2: My Ex-Girlfriend Is A Junkie!?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Super spoilery clip from tonight's episode posted on Stephen's facebook - I can't figure out how to link to just the video but here you go.

https://www.facebook.com/stephenamell

:ohdear:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Click the timestamp.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
No Felicity? See you next week, thread.

edit: Pills pills pills

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 16, 2014

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Oliver getting shade thrown at him by his own mom. :lol:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Well that's a way to introduce someone.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Is that Simon?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
Felicity :(

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Mama Blood is still out there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No super skin for Roy I guess.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I can't tell you how happy I am that their wildly inappropriate backroom shagging actually got punished with a semi-serious injury.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Holy crap that jump off and on the motorcycle... :black101:

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Laurel, you're right about Brother Blood, but nobody will believe you because you're a pill popping alcoholic.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
That's a lot of lasers.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
We do villains always choose so incredible lame names for their public fronts?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Oh poo poo. Roy is made of steel. :doom:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Nice shot Ollie.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
Wait, what did he just do?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Mike Danger posted:

Wait, what did he just do?

Cut the line to the detonator with an arrow.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Does that means I have a shot

at Employee of the Month?

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
If the face off is what I thought it was, next week will go insane.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Okay, I think that's the first time I've actually cared about Ollie and Felicity as a couple. You'd need a chainsaw to cut through the sexual tension in that scene, dayum. :stare:

EDIT: Also, Laurel doing stuff, hey! It's not great, but it's a drat sight better than just being kidnapped and clueless all the time. :dance:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Had Laurel and Blood ever met before this episode? I can't remember, but it seems sudden that she's convinced he's a double-secret bad guy when I can't remember them even interacting before.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Had Laurel and Blood ever met before this episode? I can't remember, but it seems sudden that she's convinced he's a double-secret bad guy when I can't remember them even interacting before.

Right about when Ollie did, I think.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

yes, multiple times

they went christmas shopping together (lol)

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

I know people kinda sleep zone out when Laurel is on screen but this is ridiculous.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I just wanna know how her face turned into a triangle

Seriously it's ridiculous

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Dantes posted:

I know people kinda sleep zone out when Laurel is on screen but this is ridiculous.

Be fair, those scenes were super boring and added nothing, aside from establishing that Laurel knew Blood, which was a fact that, up until this episode, was super boring and added nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Manu without a beard looks weird.

• Locked thread