Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Cowcatcher posted:

You manage Christian apologists as they struggle to counter classical philosophy but only end up bickering among themselves?

Clement of Alexandria has gained a Dualist Heresy cassus belli on Valentinian Gnostics

Play as a Christian bishop during the reign of Julian the Apostate. Paganism is legal again but even more troubling, all of those goddamn Catholic heresies are being given free reign. Are you a bad enough dude to save the souls of the empire by hook or by crook while maintaining a united front against the Pagan Emperor?

uPen fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

uPen posted:

Play as a Christian bishop during the reign of Julian the Apostate. Paganism is legal again but even more troubling so are all of those goddamn Catholic heresies being given free reign. Are you a bad enough dude to save the souls of the empire by hook or by crook while maintaining a united front against the Pagan Emperor?

My Liege, Pope Boniface has sent Procopius of Caesarea to fabricate a claim on Roman Empire

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

uPen posted:

Play as a Christian bishop during the reign of Julian the Apostate. Paganism is legal again but even more troubling, all of those goddamn Catholic heresies are being given free reign. Are you a bad enough dude to save the souls of the empire by hook or by crook while maintaining a united front against the Pagan Emperor?

Catechumen is already a game.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
nvm

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fuligin posted:

A piece of concept art was posted in the "Nero" project forum. Here. It sort of kills my hopes for Rome II, but raises them in inexplicable hope for a licensed Game of Thrones game.

I'm picking this one for HOI4, due for release in August 2015. That pic is part of some Telemark artwork.

The Doge picture one will be an EUIV expansion.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

V for Vegas posted:

I'm picking this one for HOI4, due for release in August 2015. That pic is part of some Telemark artwork.

The Doge picture one will be an EUIV expansion.

Doge picture?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

NihilCredo posted:

What would Doge Andrea Gritti have to do with South Asia though?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
The next post is my favorite in the whole thread.

Dibujante posted:

Are you the rain man of European portraiture?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just saw on twitter that Troy Goodfellow has left Evolve to go do media stuff with Paradox.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Cowcatcher posted:

You manage Christian apologists as they struggle to counter classical philosophy but only end up bickering among themselves?

Clement of Alexandria has gained a Dualist Heresy cassus belli on Valentinian Gnostics

This is a joke, I know. . . Still I think this would make for a loving amazing game. Ck2 style character manager, only instead of a family you're in charge of some sort of theological succession, a line of churches or teachers of different Christian faiths as you struggle to form the Catholic churches. Will your title be elective, where you have to hope you've elevated the right people to electorship? What if nobles friendly the donatists have bought off some of your electors, when you die will you find your school relegated to a lower title while the donatists become the new bishop? Or perhaps crescentii or theophylacti style familial corruption will become the trend and the title is in risk of turning into a hereditary title! A barbarian king has just invaded the lands of Rome, and he offers to convert to your school and support you, dare you take him up on this offer and anger the Romans? What if the empire cannot reclaim this land, will you have made a mistake by not siding with the langobards? Will you strive through to see your philosophy triumph against the tides of Gnostics, platonists, manichaeans and mystery cults?

Paradox make a battle of the churches game sometime and I will never stop loving you.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
I think for HoI4 they should create more opportunities for tactical depth on the strategic map with the creation of additional provinces.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Is there a limit on provinces the Clausewitz engine can support? Related question, is there any way to increase it? This is very important for deciding if I want HoI4

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I think that in order to capture the furious streetfighting seen in battles like those at Stalingrad or Berlin, HoI4 should have provinces for individual city blocks.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Every province battle opens up a round of company of heroes to determine battle results.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Grigsby is doing Europe in 10km hexes - Paradox need to at least have 5km provinces for the whole world or they won't have the best WW2 game.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
What I really want in HOI4 is a way to automate even more of the game. I don't even want to set targets anymore, I just want to pick a country and press GO and watch the game happen.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Rincewind posted:

I think that in order to capture the furious streetfighting seen in battles like those at Stalingrad or Berlin, HoI4 should have provinces for individual city blocks.

No joke, I've seen battle scenario maps that have that level of detail, though they limit themselves to just one country or so.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Serious posting: I honestly don't mind the provinces too much if automated armies is still a thing, since it's not like I'd be able to command the 5 or so theatres you'd need to do a world conquest as anyone. Just cutting back a little for when I do want to take over an individual theatre would be nice. Also because as some countries, lining up soldiers on your borders is basically impossible because of the dozens of provinces you need to man for every small country you border.

Also, Quantumfate's idea is loving gold, if you ever want to do another game like Crown of the North (i.e. a game that just focuses on a specific part of a Paradox game's timeframe), a game set in CK2 or the Dark Ages game where you play as a bishop with DLC for playing as an imam or pagan priest would be awesome.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 16, 2014

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
I always thought HOI4 really needed to finish what they started with HOI3's innovations in general. Tech should be be Tech level 1, 2, 3, and 4. You don't even have to click anything, it just auto accumulates Inspiration which at 100 upgrades your tech.

As for politics, I think it should just lock you into an ill defined political group/party and then randomly swap it when the AI gets bored playing the game for you.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I want HOI4 to be the ultimate thing I put on when I'm having trouble falling asleep at night. Add some soothing music and we're most of the way there already.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

DrProsek posted:

Serious posting: I honestly don't mind the provinces too much if automated armies is still a thing, since it's not like I'd be able to command the 5 or so theatres you'd need to do a world conquest as anyone. Just cutting back a little for when I do want to take over an individual theatre would be nice. Also because as some countries, lining up soldiers on your borders is basically impossible because of the dozens of provinces you need to man for every small country you border.

Also, Quantumfate's idea is loving gold, if you ever want to do another game like Crown of the North (i.e. a game that just focuses on a specific part of a Paradox game's timeframe), a game set in CK2 or the Dark Ages game where you play as a bishop with DLC for playing as an imam or pagan priest would be awesome.

I was really hoping Sons of Abraham was going to include monastic orders and other things being playable, with the third slot under standard holdings and trade posts being abbeys and monasteries, and then having succession based on your order, where you would attempt to convince prestigious families to get members to take the vows under your order, and then have some interaction where the highest prestige order has a much higher chance of getting a cardinal in, instead of the just pump money in to get a cardinal system.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

WilliamAnderson posted:

I was really hoping Sons of Abraham was going to include monastic orders and other things being playable, with the third slot under standard holdings and trade posts being abbeys and monasteries, and then having succession based on your order, where you would attempt to convince prestigious families to get members to take the vows under your order, and then have some interaction where the highest prestige order has a much higher chance of getting a cardinal in, instead of the just pump money in to get a cardinal system.

If I had to guess, the reason why theocracies still aren't playable is because they'd involve non-dynastic succession, which CKII doesn't do. Not having an heir of your dynasty is a hard-coded game over, and in theocracies, that happens every time the ruler changes.

Also, you didn't mention this, but IIRC Paradox has said that the Pope will never be playable, because a lot of code depends on the Pope being AI controlled, and because the sheer message spam would be unmanageable.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Yeah and without a playable pope, Catholic theocracies would kinda be awkward to play since logically, you want to get to the highest office of the Church, but that's hardcoded as impossible. I guess you could get a relative into the papacy, but then we're back to "the only way you can play is either a) a priest who ignores his vows or b) a priest with a HUGE extended family with members who take the vows." :/

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a HOI3 LP? I've played a lot of Hoi2, EU2/3/4 and CK2... but Hoi3 is just so... impenetrable.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I don't know what a good up to date one is but I found its useful to load up the start of the war start date and just invade poland a half dozen times to help get a feel for the military.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

de_dust posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a HOI3 LP? I've played a lot of Hoi2, EU2/3/4 and CK2... but Hoi3 is just so... impenetrable.

The same, but for Darkest Hour please. Surely there must be a baller Darkest Hour LP out there. I've found a HoI2 one which looks decent, but how much actually carries over?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

maev posted:

The same, but for Darkest Hour please. Surely there must be a baller Darkest Hour LP out there. I've found a HoI2 one which looks decent, but how much actually carries over?

There's been a couple for Kaiserreich (most recently uPen's Danubian Federation LP, which was excellent, and an older Union of Britain LP by Gort, which I think requires archives to view). As far as I know there's not been one done in vanilla Darkest Hour Full, though I've thought of doing it a couple times.

Edit: oh, there was a fairly short-lived Kaiserreich Russia LP on the forums here, but I can't for the life of me find or, or remember who did it. I remember getting as far as re-institution the Russian Empire under Wrangel before the LP fizzled out.

Drone fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 16, 2014

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

maev posted:

Darkest Hour Light is literally the original HOI2 but with the processing speed and interface improvements, so any classic HOI2 AAR/LP will carry over well. Darkest Hour Full is mostly rules changes, so if you can learn the interface and basic game concepts, 90% of that will translate to DH-Full.

And speaking of classic HOI2 AARs, I'm going to share my favorites:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?226506-Edge-of-Darkness-workers-of-the-world-unite&pp=25 - a USSR player takes a very analytical approach to building up the Red Army in preparation for Barbarossa, completely dismantles the AI and takes over the world.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?248648-Fatherland-Deutschland-%FCber-alles - the same player does a straight world conquest with Germany on Very Hard difficulty

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?338558-The-Setting-Sun-Gotterdammerung-Japan-1944.&s=e90ff72693d447c8f1eb0dd26176f1b0 - another player starts the game as Japan in 1944 on Very Hard, which is pretty much as dire a situation as possible, and turns the whole thing around

These AARs are also notable in that they don't get drowned out in fanfiction/alt-history wankery and mostly sticks to gameplay and explaining mechanics.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Drone posted:

There's been a couple for Kaiserreich (most recently uPen's Danubian Federation LP, which was excellent, and an older Union of Britain LP by Gort, which I think requires archives to view). As far as I know there's not been one done in vanilla Darkest Hour Full, though I've thought of doing it a couple times.

Edit: oh, there was a fairly short-lived Kaiserreich Russia LP on the forums here, but I can't for the life of me find or, or remember who did it. I remember getting as far as re-institution the Russian Empire under Wrangel before the LP fizzled out.

The Russian Kaiserriech LP is here. It was really good but just sort of ended halfway through, unfortunately.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Johan said on twitter that while normally he enjoys trolling about unannounced things, he couldn't bear to see people getting their hopes up so much and has confirmed neither of the upcoming projects is Rome 2.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sindai posted:

Johan said on twitter that while normally he enjoys trolling about unannounced things, he couldn't bear to see people getting their hopes up so much and has confirmed neither of the upcoming projects is Rome 2.

Rather than a game we actually want, we're getting Sengoku 2.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

One of the projects is just that they're going to change their wallpaper.

The new wallpaper will be Deformed Napoleon.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Defeatist Elitist posted:

One of the projects is just that they're going to change their wallpaper.

The new wallpaper will be Deformed Napoleon.

In'shallah.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
Honestly, I'm ok with whatever they make (even if it's not the One Holy Game, Rome 2) as long as it's a complicated enough game with nice systems

But not too complicated like HoI3

And not too simple like FTG

Maybe a bit more complex than Rome

So somewhere in the middle

Paradox, it's ok if you hate us, now I understand why.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Sindai posted:

Rome 3?!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Calling it now, their next project is going to be Paradox Universalis. Can you manage a start-up grand strategy company starting in an age when "complex strategy" seemed to be on the decline? Can you successfully balance the needs of interface design, bugs, gameplay and historical realism? Can you satisfy the nationalists on your forums? (No)

quote:

Bug Sighted!

A: Ignore the forum rabble (-1 stab)

B: The end is nigh! (-1 stab)

C: Stop looking at the code! (-1 stab)

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

DStecks posted:

If I had to guess, the reason why theocracies still aren't playable is because they'd involve non-dynastic succession, which CKII doesn't do. Not having an heir of your dynasty is a hard-coded game over, and in theocracies, that happens every time the ruler changes.

Also, you didn't mention this, but IIRC Paradox has said that the Pope will never be playable, because a lot of code depends on the Pope being AI controlled, and because the sheer message spam would be unmanageable.

Hard-coded for now, but they could always change the code. They're the creators; they're not restricted by the code like we modders are.

And playing as the Pope would be boring as all hell. All you'd do is just listen to every single ruler demanding something.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm putting my money down now.

Armstrong is a Paradox style space 4x. :dance:

Nero is HOI4. :barf:

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I remember an old game of Medieval Total War 2 I had where the Pope must have been bugged or just hit on a ridiculous but rare AI script, because he proceeded to just invade everywhere and started this huge Papal Empire.

Basically, thats the only thing I would ever do if I was Pope in CK2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

DStecks posted:

The thing with theocracies isn't that you get a game over for a non-dynastical successor, since that could just be worked around. But I'm not sure how well it would work at all with CK2's character-driven gameplay, since your successor is appointed either by a King or the Pope so you'd have more or less zero input into who you play as.

I could see maybe Holy Orders becoming playable.

• Locked thread