Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

FlyingCheese posted:

If you're rooted, most versions of android will let you switch to Roam only mode. I know CM does.
I'm not sure if it might vary by device but I haven't seen the roam only option in CM myself since maybe CM9?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

FlyingCheese posted:

If you're rooted, most versions of android will let you switch to Roam only mode. I know CM does.

Holy poo poo, this changes everything! I never bothered to root my Gnex, looks like I have a project for the afternoon.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Regular CM doesn't have roam only but I've seen some unofficial builds add it back in the CM10.1 days. I know that on the HTC One you have to use a Sense-based rom to get roam only.

I bought Roam Control several years back and it's been well worth the money. Works on pretty much every rom (stock, AOSP, CM, MIUI, etc), as long as your phone is supported. The desktop widget alone is worth the purchase price since the roam only options that are built-in to custom roms are usually buried deep in the mobile networks settings menu.

I've been out of town for the past four months and sitting in my mailbox when I got home was a "HEY QUIT ROAMING" letter from Sprint. Doesn't threaten to boot me, just says to read my terms of service. Are they still giving people a heads-up phone call before actually kicking you off contract? Wouldn't mind getting out of my ETF eventually, but I don't really feel like jumping to another carrier until the new crop of phones are released.

Edit: Sprint is even worse on the West Coast than it is back east. Literally got faster data by roaming on US Cellular EVDO than I did on Sprint LTE. :wtc:

Leathal fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 11, 2014

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Leathal posted:

Edit: Sprint is even worse on the West Coast than it is back east. Literally got faster data by roaming on US Cellular EVDO than I did on Sprint LTE. :wtc:

Weird. I've been getting great speeds in the Bay area and all over LA county.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Leathal posted:

I bought Roam Control several years back and it's been well worth the money. Works on pretty much every rom (stock, AOSP, CM, MIUI, etc), as long as your phone is supported.

so I can do this, set my phone to roam only, and basically have a Verizon phone? If so I will buy immediately. I guess I have to root my S3, according to the site at least.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Ribsauce posted:

so I can do this, set my phone to roam only, and basically have a Verizon phone? If so I will buy immediately. I guess I have to root my S3, according to the site at least.

You'll need to flash a corporate PRL first, otherwise you'll be limited to 1xRTT. Corporate accounts have 3G roaming. But yes, you'll be able to magically turn your phone into a VZW non-LTE phone with the press of a button. More or less anyways.

bobula posted:

Weird. I've been getting great speeds in the Bay area and all over LA county.

Yeah SF/Bay Area was somewhat comparable to what I'm used to in Miami/South Florida. But the Monterey Peninsula and most of Oregon were just...awful.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Ribsauce posted:

Only until Sprint cancels your account for excess roaming in a couple months.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
If they cancel my account then I don't owe ETF, is this correct? I was going to pay my ETF, but if I can pretend I have Verizon for a few months then get canceled, that is turning a lose lose into a win-win.

Leathal, thanks for the corporate PRL advice.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Ribsauce posted:

If they cancel my account then I don't owe ETF, is this correct? I was going to pay my ETF, but if I can pretend I have Verizon for a few months then get canceled, that is turning a lose lose into a win-win.

Leathal, thanks for the corporate PRL advice.

Correct. The one thing you have to watch out for is using minutes while roaming. Not sure what the exact number is, but I'm pretty sure Sprint can charge you for excessive roaming voice minutes. Roaming data is "unlimited" up until they give you the boot. Not sure if this still applies if you have an unlimited minutes plan, but I'd be careful.

That's why Roam Control + corporate PRL is so drat good. Get on Verizon when you need data, pop back to Sprint for calls.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Oh my only problem is calls, I don't care about data. I guess this is a bad solution :(

tray
Nov 24, 2006

nice to meet you!

Ribsauce posted:

Oh my only problem is calls, I don't care about data. I guess this is a bad solution :(

For what it's worth I ran force roaming on verizon 24/7 for months at a time. The only time the minutes screwed me up is mobile to mobile doesn't count while you are roaming, it comes out of your anytime minutes, so I went over on one month.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Leathal posted:

I'm pretty sure Sprint can charge you for excessive roaming voice minutes.

They can but the only time I've seen someone booted for roaming was when they used excessive roaming minutes and data, because the husband was an over the road trucker, and they weren't charged extra at all.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

datajosh posted:

I'm not sure if it might vary by device but I haven't seen the roam only option in CM myself since maybe CM9?

Oh weird, I knew it was there in my hacked Evo3D CM10/10.1 builds, and I swore it was on the build on my GS4 but it doesn't appear to be. Oh well. Either way, Roam Control still works.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Anybody have a Sprint microcell they'd want to sell? Something has changed in the past couple of weeks and I'm getting awful broken calls at my house.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sprint ends One Up program after just four months

quote:

“Sprint continues to offer customers an upgrade option with the Sprint Framily plan. For $20 per month, customers can buy up to unlimited data and the ability to upgrade their device every 12 months.”

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Really thought that was a typo. Framily = Friends + Family. This thread continually reminds me how lucky my "framily" is that we live in metro areas that have decent Sprint LTE coverage, for whatever that's worth.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Welp, now I want to get rid of Sprint for sure. The One Up program was a better deal in my opinion.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Did Sprint change TEP recently? I just received a letter about it in the mail. I think I'm just going to cancel it.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

mcpringles posted:

Did Sprint change TEP recently? I just received a letter about it in the mail. I think I'm just going to cancel it.
Yeah, I already threw my letter away but the main thing I took away from it was that we now only get 2 free repairs per phone in a 12 month period and they charge $25 for each one after that. T-Mobile and the Xperia Z1s have been looking really good lately. If Sprint does buy T-Mo, I hope they put Legere in charge.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

datajosh posted:

I hope they put Legere in charge.

This ain't happening, it's a good idea.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

The Entire Universe posted:

This ain't happening, it's a good idea.

Keep in mind Sprint is now owned by a giant GSM carrier that acts like a dumb pipe. The TMo business model is far more compatible with Softbank than Sprints.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

The new "Framly" plan seems pretty good. $55 for unlimited talk/text and 1GB data or $75 for unlimited everything. Each line you add is $5 off a line. So 2 lines would be $50/$70 a line, 3 lines would be $45/$65 up to 7 lines which would be $25/$45 per line. Seems like a pretty good deal, plus you can have multiple lines billed separately. So if you join with your parents they can receive a bill for their two lines and pay their portion of the bill on their own.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

mcpringles posted:

The new "Framly" plan seems pretty good. $55 for unlimited talk/text and 1GB data or $75 for unlimited everything. Each line you add is $5 off a line. So 2 lines would be $50/$70 a line, 3 lines would be $45/$65 up to 7 lines which would be $25/$45 per line. Seems like a pretty good deal, plus you can have multiple lines billed separately. So if you join with your parents they can receive a bill for their two lines and pay their portion of the bill on their own.
The major snag is that you can ONLY get new phones via Easy Pay (full retail cost over 24 months) or just buying the phone outright/bringing your own device. So you have to add on the monthly cost of the phone. If you get the $20 unlimited option you can upgrade every year, but you've still paid at least half the retail cost (more if it had a deposit).

They're supposed to be charging existing customers who switch to Framily $15/month until their upgrade date to make up for the subsidy, but for the time being they're waiving that. So right now it's not a bad deal to switch, but come upgrade time it'll get more expensive.

If you've got a lot of people to refer it's cheaper than the Everything My Way, but still more than the old Everything Data Share plans.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

mcpringles posted:

I talked to Sprint, and for me, if I change to the Framily Plan on March 1st, I can upgrade my phone that day. :toot:

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
What is the easiest way to root your phone to install roam control? I tried one method but failed. I have 4.3 installed.

edit

Galaxy S3

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 16, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Stick100 posted:

Keep in mind Sprint is now owned by a giant GSM carrier that acts like a dumb pipe. The TMo business model is far more compatible with Softbank than Sprints.

That's lovely but if Softbank had that kind of control Sprint probably would be less of a flaming wreck than it had gotten to be. Half my family has practically disowned me after I convinced them to go from Verizon to Sprint and get smart phones, only recently allayed by the fact that I managed to have them talk/guilt the CSRs they spoke with into letting them out early to move to Ting (after some $1500 in phone purchases they wanted to get the use out of them) which is no better speed/service consistency but at least the pricing is less rapey.

My girlfriend's on Sprint and her phone spontaneously and secretly shuts off the internet connection. Seriously, pages just up and tell her to connect to the internet. She got LTE a total of 2x, both were as we were driving past a dead and empty mall.

Softbank probably thought Sprint was worth money because of NV. That took longer and is far spottier than initially assumed. It's 2014 and they're still wrangling new LTE markets rather than improving on a nationwide one as was promised and maybe even intended. God only knows why they are eyeing T-Mobile but their (Sprint's track record does not) track record is a loving joke.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

My girlfriend's on Sprint and her phone spontaneously and secretly shuts off the internet connection. Seriously, pages just up and tell her to connect to the internet.
Everyone I know with Sprint (including myself) has this problem. I have no clue why it happens or if there's a way to prevent it from happening. The only fix I know is to cycle in and out of airplane mode.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

That's lovely but if Softbank had that kind of control Sprint probably would be less of a flaming wreck than it had gotten to be.
Softbank definitely has that kind of control but the merger was only completed six months ago. I keep hoping improvements are coming but the hope does dwindle a little more every day.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Crumps Brother posted:

Everyone I know with Sprint (including myself) has this problem. I have no clue why it happens or if there's a way to prevent it from happening. The only fix I know is to cycle in and out of airplane mode.

A lot of times it's related to roaming. If you go in and out of a roaming area, for some weird reason the data doesn't always reconnect. I've seen it on flip phones as well.

I think that going through a dead spot/building with no coverage can do it too.

Oh, and Network Vision/Old towers don't hand off to each other. I bet that could set it off.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

datajosh posted:

Softbank definitely has that kind of control but the merger was only completed six months ago. I keep hoping improvements are coming but the hope does dwindle a little more every day.

I guess I lost all hope back when they hosed up updating every phone they put out, such as the Epic 4G and the Evo 3D.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Ribsauce posted:

What is the easiest way to root your phone to install roam control? I tried one method but failed. I have 4.3 installed.

edit

Galaxy S3

You'd be much better served in the gs3 forum at xda or androidcentral than here, with specific technical questions.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

TVs Ian posted:

Oh, and Network Vision/Old towers don't hand off to each other. I bet that could set it off.

Good god that has made maintaining phone calls while driving an absolute
joke around here.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Ribsauce posted:

edit

Galaxy S3

I'll save you a trip to XDA. There is currently no reliable method of rooting a GS3 with the latest 4.3 firmware.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

TVs Ian posted:

And that explains another Sprint issue I've been having lately. Good to know!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
That feel when you use Skype to make calls at home because call quality sucks balls.

I don't know what happened, it used to be great at my house up until a month or so ago.

Broke down and bought an Airave off of ebay for $15. :(

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Just to verify, since the checkout is through Best Buy I can't get a customized Moto X since I'm on EPRP right?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Q_res posted:

Just to verify, since the checkout is through Best Buy I can't get a customized Moto X since I'm on EPRP right?
Correct.

Dishonest Résumé
Nov 28, 2003

You don't mean Communists do you, Sam?
Pardon if this is a stupid question. I have a Nexus 5 and in the last few days I've seen LTE pop up on my phone in certain parts of town. Around the same time I noticed my phone has been entirely dropping data intermittently. Are these occurrences likely related? Should I be optimistic about finally getting LTE?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Dishonest Résumé posted:

Pardon if this is a stupid question. I have a Nexus 5 and in the last few days I've seen LTE pop up on my phone in certain parts of town. Around the same time I noticed my phone has been entirely dropping data intermittently. Are these occurrences likely related? Should I be optimistic about finally getting LTE?

There are probably NV towers going up, and your phone is dropping the connection when switching from an NV tower to an old one. In addition, some towers might be down entirely while the hardware is upgraded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I think I'm done with Sprint. They are without a doubt the worst.

I went through the unlock process for my HTC One. At the end of the process there's supposed to be a profile push and a reboot and then you're good for GSM. Only the profile update would immediately error out. I was back and forth with international support literally right up until I got on my flight and the only thing they could tell me was that it was unlocked in their system and to just keep mashing the unlock button and it would eventually work.. Totally useless.

Now half way through my trip I happen to get a ota prompt for an update which literally only addresses the fact that the phone could no longer update prl or profiles. Applied and now I'm unlocked. Instead of giving me useful information about a clearly known issue they gave me the equivalent of "just restart the computer".. Instead of actually doing any QA or testing on the 4.3 update they just pushed fixes for broken things weeks or months later.. The previous update was a hot fix for a missing sim card error falls into the same boat.

According to that little info graphic on the time line of an Ota, carriers hold up everything.. So the question is; for what? Because clearly they release lovely updates anyway that break things. Is it just an empty show?

Side note, local 3g GSM is faster then sprint LTE at home. Pathetic. I've never seen 7 down on sprint so its been like getting a taste of what a real non poo poo carrier is like.