Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Ugh. I have no business spending money after Christmas but that is hard to pass up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
There any consensus on hard drives that are reliable/low failure rate for NASes? I just picked up the Synology ds213j and plan on starting one HD and after getting some data on it buying another to mirror it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

5436 posted:

There any consensus on hard drives that are reliable/low failure rate for NASes? I just picked up the Synology ds213j and plan on starting one HD and after getting some data on it buying another to mirror it.

wd red.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Cross-post:

Was gonna do a NUC Celeron build with USB stick, OpenElec, 4GB RAM, and an IR Receiver/Remote.

I want to set up a NAS to serve media to it with at least a 4TB drive inside. Does anyone have options/opinions on my best route to go with NAS/HDD?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=2386006&perpage=40&pagenumber=211#post424433890

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

LLJKSiLk posted:

Cross-post:

Was gonna do a NUC Celeron build with USB stick, OpenElec, 4GB RAM, and an IR Receiver/Remote.

I want to set up a NAS to serve media to it with at least a 4TB drive inside. Does anyone have options/opinions on my best route to go with NAS/HDD?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=2386006&perpage=40&pagenumber=211#post424433890

I'll personally push the synology option, but it really depends on your budget, and whether you want to build your own nerd box running nerd software or pick up something which only requires inserting hard drives and minimal configuration.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Civil posted:

I'll personally push the synology option, but it really depends on your budget, and whether you want to build your own nerd box running nerd software or pick up something which only requires inserting hard drives and minimal configuration.

Any particular one? I'm confused by the different models/prices.

Currently I have an HP Mediasmart server, and use it to serve to PS3, 360, and computers around my home. That being said, it does certain things well to certain devices, and HD playback is not one of them. I use Apple TV for formats which the 360/PS3 can't handle with Airplay, but that has stutter and only works with small files.

I suppose I could try utilizing it, or installing ubuntu server/plex on it and see if that improves the situation?

I just want to be able to watch HD video on my television, and figured the HTPC was the way to go so I could get beyond having to deal with Apple TV/360/PS3 and just have a single device. I just need to be able to serve data properly.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

LLJKSiLk posted:

Any particular one? I'm confused by the different models/prices.

Currently I have an HP Mediasmart server, and use it to serve to PS3, 360, and computers around my home. That being said, it does certain things well to certain devices, and HD playback is not one of them. I use Apple TV for formats which the 360/PS3 can't handle with Airplay, but that has stutter and only works with small files.

I suppose I could try utilizing it, or installing ubuntu server/plex on it and see if that improves the situation?

I just want to be able to watch HD video on my television, and figured the HTPC was the way to go so I could get beyond having to deal with Apple TV/360/PS3 and just have a single device. I just need to be able to serve data properly.

I upgraded from a N40L to the DS212+. It was the 4-bay NAS that had the fastest CPU, and stated that it was the best for transcoding. I usually watch media over PS3's (DLNA), and it doesn't seem to have a problem with 1080p stuff I've encoded from bluray. XBMC uses DLNA as well, I believe. Synology also has free apps for iOS and Android that stream directly, but you can also just browse the network share on android and watch without streaming conversion, too.

It may be a hard sell to drop $600 on a NAS without disks, so if you need to spend less, you're gonna have to go the nerd route.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The cheapest one disk underpowered Synology does DLNA fine als long as you're a 100% sure no transcoding will ever be needed.

EDIT: Wait, I'm not sure I've actually tested with 1080p ever, so ignore me for lack of relevance.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
This guy here: http://froberg.me/

He put Ubuntu Server/PMS on the HP MediaSmart that I have, so I may do that and use it to serve media that way.

It has room for 3 expansion drives, so I can put up to a max of 11TB in it I believe. Not sure how easy the drop-in works with ubuntu server, but may be worth doing. I'm really not impressed with the WHSv1 I've got on there.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

LLJKSiLk posted:

This guy here: http://froberg.me/

He put Ubuntu Server/PMS on the HP MediaSmart that I have, so I may do that and use it to serve media that way.

It has room for 3 expansion drives, so I can put up to a max of 11TB in it I believe. Not sure how easy the drop-in works with ubuntu server, but may be worth doing. I'm really not impressed with the WHSv1 I've got on there.

I really don't think there is anything you can do to your existing MediaSmart box to have it transcode fine. The CPU is just not there.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Moey posted:

I really don't think there is anything you can do to your existing MediaSmart box to have it transcode fine. The CPU is just not there.

I think it can be upgraded to a core 2 from what I've read. Sufficient?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Is it possible, and if so how easy, and I suppose more importantly, how wise would be be to run Xpenology as a VM pulling from 6 1GB WD Greens (not in a RAID array of course, for the obvious reasons, but just as separate disks)?

And I guess just to ask a million and one questions here, why is there all of a sudden so much love for Xpenology vs. NAS4Free and all the others? I use a real Synology Disk Station at work, but is all that really necessary at home? Its just a bunch of single drives (WD Greens that I wont even likely JBOD). :confused:

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 16, 2014

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978
Bit of a strange question here: I'm currently running a Ivy Bridge Pentium as my Nas4Free box, and an AMD Bulldozer E-350 unit as my bedroom's HTPC. If I reversed that (putting the E-350 in my NAS), would I have to rebuild the drive array that's already in there? Or will Nas4Free recognize a ZFS array and configure it?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

eightysixed posted:

Is it possible, and if so how easy, and I suppose more importantly, how wise would be be to run Xpenology as a VM pulling from 6 1GB WD Greens (not in a RAID array of course, for the obvious reasons, but just as separate disks)?

And I guess just to ask a million and one questions here, why is there all of a sudden so much love for Xpenology vs. NAS4Free and all the others? I use a real Synology Disk Station at work, but is all that really necessary at home? Its just a bunch of single drives (WD Greens that I wont even likely JBOD). :confused:

The love is probably because of ease of use. For some people the costs (I'm guessing primarily relatively inflexible disk management) of using ZFS simply outweigh the benefits.

Psimitry posted:

Bit of a strange question here: I'm currently running a Ivy Bridge Pentium as my Nas4Free box, and an AMD Bulldozer E-350 unit as my bedroom's HTPC. If I reversed that (putting the E-350 in my NAS), would I have to rebuild the drive array that's already in there? Or will Nas4Free recognize a ZFS array and configure it?

Assuming you get Nas4Free running fine on the AMD box then recognizing the existing array shouldn't be that huge of an issue. I'd be more concerned about the performance of ZFS on that E-350 which is not a bulldozer, it's a bobcat.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 16, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
God damnit silverstone, I just bought a q25. Anyone know where to buy one of these.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=452&area

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Does anyone know if I can replace ST3000DM001 drives with WD30EFRX drives in a ZFS array using whole disk devices? I'm concerned there might be slight capacity differences that would prevent this from working. Is the relevant specification "user sectors per drive?" They look identical at 5,860,533,168.

I just had a double drive failure in a RAID-Z2 of 6 ST3000DM001 drives. I'm leery of just RMAing due to the somewhat bad reputation this model is getting, but if I buy replacements I want them to work.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Don Lapre posted:

God damnit silverstone, I just bought a q25. Anyone know where to buy one of these.

It's brand new, give it a bit.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

KS posted:

Does anyone know if I can replace ST3000DM001 drives with WD30EFRX drives in a ZFS array using whole disk devices? I'm concerned there might be slight capacity differences that would prevent this from working. Is the relevant specification "user sectors per drive?" They look identical at 5,860,533,168.

I just had a double drive failure in a RAID-Z2 of 6 ST3000DM001 drives. I'm leery of just RMAing due to the somewhat bad reputation this model is getting, but if I buy replacements I want them to work.

If you have drives of equal or larger size, ZFS should resilver onto them just fine.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Don Lapre posted:

Where would you find a motherboard that size that can support that many drives?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

UndyingShadow posted:

Where would you find a motherboard that size that can support that many drives?

H87 ITX boards can have 6 sata3 connectors plus a pci-e 16x slot.

edit: asrock has itx boards with 12 sata connectors

http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=C2750D4I

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 16, 2014

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

^^^ :argh:

At the bottom of that page under recommendations: ASRock C2750D4I.

code:
    Intel® Avoton C2750 Octa-Core Processor
    DDR3 1600/1333 Dual-channel Max. 64GB
    2 SATA3 6.0Gbps, 4 SATA2 3.0Gbps by C2750
    4 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s by Marvell SE9230, 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s by Marvell SE9172
    Dual Intel® i210 Gigabit LAN ports (with Teaming function)
    3 x USB 2.0 ports (2 rear ports + 1 via headers or 1 rear ports + 2 via headers controlled by USB_SEL1 and USB_SEL2 jumper)
    1 x PCI-E x8 slot 
e: $372 though, ouch. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157475

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

This one has a socket 1150 even

http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=E3C224D4I-14S

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

£313 is the only price I can find. Which would mean basically $399 with usual pricing.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

£313 is the only price I can find. Which would mean basically $399 with usual pricing.

Yeah, those are super nice, but not 400 bucks nice.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Also, the extra ports on those motherboards are usually some crappy no-name chip, so there won't be great driver support in anything that isn't Windows.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Not on this one, it's Intel C224 for 4x sata3 and 2x sata2, and LSI 2308 for the 2x mini sas 8087.

LSI 2308 is also found in controllers like the SAS 9207-8i, which is 300 bucks on its own.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

Also, the extra ports on those motherboards are usually some crappy no-name chip, so there won't be great driver support in anything that isn't Windows.
They're Marvell 88SE9xxx chips.
Besides, Asrock lists a whole slew of supported OS' for the Avaton motherboards - and in my experience, at least with Asrock, that means they've verified OS recognition with 'dmidecode' and 'pciconf -lv' (or similar tools that not-FreeBSD uses) for the version they list .

That's Extended Mini-ITX, which may or may not fit by the looks of these images.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jan 16, 2014

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I just use a random LSI card on my ASRock C224 mini ITX board and call it a day. That version is different from mine in that the extra LSI onboard is causing the physical dimensions to go up. I do not recommend either of them currently for most people using FreeNAS at this time because of some wonkiness that I can't explain with my network boot, but if someone else is doing fine with DHCP on restart with an Intel i210 on FreeNAS, I'm all ears. On the other hand, I'm wondering if the motherboards I burned trying to handle the UNAS-NSC800 would be worth ditching for this Silverstone case just because it'll be so much easier when I have to mess with the board. I wasn't about to wait for CES to build a NAS though.

The thing I remember about those new Atom / Avoton boards is that some of those only take SO-DIMMs. If you're looking to use ECC for filesystems like ZFS and BTRFS, well good luck getting ECC SO-DIMMs (they exist, I've seen them in part catalogs) without having to be a big-name OEM.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Avoton supports 64GB? That is pretty neat. Now why does a regular Xeon only support 32GB? Product segmentation?

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

Longinus00 posted:

Assuming you get Nas4Free running fine on the AMD box then recognizing the existing array shouldn't be that huge of an issue. I'd be more concerned about the performance of ZFS on that E-350 which is not a bulldozer, it's a bobcat.

I had the same concern, but doing some quick Google research informs me that not only do people run a zfs setup on the e-350 with good results, but also the even less powerful c-60.

Was mainly concerned about having to offload my data somewhere and reformat the drives. If that's not a concern, I have no problems switching the hardware as a test to see if it will work. If it doesn't, I can always go back.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The Xeon E3 lines are basically just rebadged Core i5/i7 processors with ECC and VT-whatever support tacked onto the package (they're even the same LGA1150 sockets while most Xeons are on LGA2011/LGA1366). Those inherent limitations keep those Xeons at 32GB RAM max (8GB DIMMs on 4 physical channels). The Avotons are likely being aimed at keeping Intel relevant in the lower-end hosting market (everyone's been screaming for something lower power to succeed their old LGA1366 Xeons without going full retard enterprise), which it basically has hit a home run with its balance of power and CPU performance, so 64GB of RAM for high density nodes seems like a mandatory requirement for a few years to come. The suckers only use about 30w at full tilt for 1/2 the performance of an E3-1220v3 but maybe 1/3 the power use of it. I'm not sure how they compare to the Core i3-4130 I put into my NAS, but I suspect it's a bit slower while using a few watts less power. The featureset of the Core i3-4130 series and Avoton Atoms are almost identical otherwise.

The key thing to look at though is that the Avoton CPUs are getting fanless setups from OEMs and more readily packed with highly capable SAS controllers on there while there's I think just one so far on the mini ITX side for the LGA1150 processors. HP offers Avoton CPUs in their high density blade offerings alongside the Centerton based Atoms and some AMD equivalent, so we'll all benefit from this investment in the end.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006

necrobobsledder posted:

The Xeon E3 lines are basically just rebadged Core i5/i7 processors with ECC and VT-whatever support tacked onto the package (they're even the same LGA1150 sockets while most Xeons are on LGA2011/LGA1366). Those inherent limitations keep those Xeons at 32GB RAM max (8GB DIMMs on 4 physical channels). The Avotons are likely being aimed at keeping Intel relevant in the lower-end hosting market (everyone's been screaming for something lower power to succeed their old LGA1366 Xeons without going full retard enterprise), which it basically has hit a home run with its balance of power and CPU performance, so 64GB of RAM for high density nodes seems like a mandatory requirement for a few years to come. The suckers only use about 30w at full tilt for 1/2 the performance of an E3-1220v3 but maybe 1/3 the power use of it. I'm not sure how they compare to the Core i3-4130 I put into my NAS, but I suspect it's a bit slower while using a few watts less power. The featureset of the Core i3-4130 series and Avoton Atoms are almost identical otherwise.

The key thing to look at though is that the Avoton CPUs are getting fanless setups from OEMs and more readily packed with highly capable SAS controllers on there while there's I think just one so far on the mini ITX side for the LGA1150 processors. HP offers Avoton CPUs in their high density blade offerings alongside the Centerton based Atoms and some AMD equivalent, so we'll all benefit from this investment in the end.

As a hardware geek, all that's super exciting, but at the same time kinda frustrating, because it will always be cheaper to throw a bunch of hard drives and an off the shelf mobo in a desktop case, and get a great FreeNAS setup.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Psimitry posted:

Was mainly concerned about having to offload my data somewhere and reformat the drives. If that's not a concern, I have no problems switching the hardware as a test to see if it will work. If it doesn't, I can always go back.

Yup, this is one of the benefits of softraid (including ZFS) - any OS that supports your particular softraid implementation and the drives you're using can easily read the array, whereas a hardware RAID solution would be dependent on the particular controller you use.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

PassMark has a complete set of CPU benchmarks, consisting of integers crunching, compression tests, encryption tests, and more that you can read about here, which produce a completely arbitrary but mostly-reliable number which gives an ide of relative cpu preformance. Of course, if you really want to know the how a cpu will do in a specific workload scenario, you'll have to find a seperate benchmark for that, but if you're just looking for a quick comparison, PassMark isn't bad.

Man, that Silverstone case and Avaton-based ASrock motherboard has me rethinking my new-NAS approach completely. I was thinking of going with a SuperMicro X10SL7-F and whatever case I could find, but Silverstone+Asrock will likely end up around the same pricepoint and I like it way more.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 16, 2014

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Me too, except 64GB RAM is way expensive compared to 32GB RAM. 32GB is what a 1230v3 will push but it is loads faster.

On full tilt, which it will almost never be, the Avoton maybe less power hungry but the Xeon is way faster......

I like the Fractal Design Node for a NAS. Seems like a quality case and not that expensive.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yup, this is one of the benefits of softraid (including ZFS) - any OS that supports your particular softraid implementation and the drives you're using can easily read the array, whereas a hardware RAID solution would be dependent on the particular controller you use.

How come hardware RAID controllers don't use some sort of standard so they are interchangeable?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's the great thing about standards, there's so many to choose from! :pseudo:

No incentive to do so, really. RAID controllers are either really cheap and crappy for home users, and who cares if they have to back up their data? You can sell them more drives!

Or they're expensive, "enterprise grade" controllers with proper LSI chipsets and the like - but enterprises are supposed to follow "best practices" where part failures are always replaced with the same part under warranty, and when something is old and you can't easily source warranty replacements you should do a hardware refresh.

Same sort of reason that ZFS isn't going to get expand-by-one-drive functionality; it's an enterprise product being developed for those users, the needs of the cheapass home user aren't even a concern.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Interesting! Thanks for the info.

Got another question...how many years away are we from mechanical drives being completely phased out? Can solid state drives eventually get to 4TB+ in the smaller form factor?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't see a need for a spinning disk in a desktop / laptop at all. For home use you have stuff like the WD Mybook or a NAS if you're a bit nerdier, and enterprise hasn't been storing anything locally for a while (ideally). Spinning disks will be around as long as they are cheaper per GB than flash with acceptable performance, but hidden away in a datacentre.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The short answer is, who the gently caress knows? Anyone claiming to know, are most probably pulling bullshit out of their asses. Personally, I prefer SSDs for OS and using a server with platter disks for all other storage.
Here's some actual data with which you can form your own opinions:

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 16, 2014