Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I got it too, but because Depression is a Bitch it hasn't even made it out of the shipping box yet.

It arrived on the same day as a particularly nasty surprise at the dentist's, so I kind of wish I hadn't, but if it's as amazing as it looks all will be forgiven. And if not… well, either way you'll hear about it.

edit: gawd, ain't that an awful start to a new page. Here, have the latest P-Bandai exclusive:

I'm not the biggest fan of the 2.0 but it does look pretty great in these colors.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UncleRadnor
Jul 3, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Has anyone made the Gaplant Hrairoo HG kit? It seems like one of the most prototypical prototype designs, and I dig that it's a Gundam-style machine with a mono-eye. But I'm trying to figure out what the extra bits do, am I right in that it has one sub-arm which normally fits to the back of the skirt and holds the rifle in MA mode, which can also plug into the back of the shoulder binders? And what do the shoulder binders do, one opens up and appears to have another hardpoint in it you can plug the rifle into, the other appears to be different, does it have another gimmick?

It is what it is - an old HGUC kit, remoulded in different colours with some new parts. Not to say that's a bad thing :)
It comes with all of the original Gaplant parts (excluding the booster) and most of the Hrairoo parts can come off easily, so you can convert it back to the original Gaplant.

You're pretty much spot on about all the extra bits. As for the other shoulder pad/pod, it doesn't open up on the kit (dunno if there's a canon reason for it)

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
I, too, have the Sazabi. It is hilariously enormous. I did the torso + head a while ago and then set it aside because my GF got me a bunch of gunpla for Christmas and I wanted to work on those (and also my PG Red Frame came). I just started it up again a few days ago. It really is incredibly cool and makes me wish I wasn't a dirty snap-and-builder so that it would look better finished :smith:

The only bad thing I can really say about it is that there are a billion tiny yellow pieces that are way hard too trim the nubs off of properly, but that's sort of Zeon kits in a nutshell (tiny green tubes strung on a wire for the old v1 Zakus, anyone? I was so happy when I found out the Geara Doga just had those as one piece).

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

CaptainRat posted:

I was so happy when I found out the Geara Doga just had those as one piece

Instead you get one hellacious seam running the length of the piece, and the pics I've seen of that kit make it look like the cable molds aren't aligned very well. What kind of plastic are those parts made out of, anyway?

edit: the soft kind apparently, so those seams are basically unfixable. Bummer.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 15, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Caros posted:

1. Don't build its rifle. The Hi-Nu rifle is by far the ugliest main weapon on any Gundam I have ever built, you will be dissapointed, give it the bazooka instead.

2. Do not, under any circumstances, drop the model once it is assembled. The leg can, and will destroy the hip joint, and the propellent tanks have tiny grey pieces on them that you will never find no matter how hard you look.

Holy poo poo, you weren't kidding. Shaving the nubbins off of those is a terrifying experience because I'm half convinced I'm gonna drop one on my floor and lose it forever, but it went well. I like the rifle though. :colbert: I absolutely love these colors though, but I kinda wish it had those thicker proportions from the other design.

I also ended up buying those photoetched decals for the Sinanju, if for no other reason than it comes with a Unicorn v-fin piece as a bonus. I'll report on how good/poo poo they look once I get them.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Sometimes I really dislike living in a small city. I need some tamiya grey primer and some flat back to finish up my kit, so of course the local hobby store is out of both.

I want to finish my mg re-zel commander type you jerks :(.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
I typically just order primer and paints from tamiya's site if I can't find them at my hobby store. They're generally a little cheaper but shipping can be a little sharp at low quantities.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So today on a whim, I got the HG Jesta Cannon. It is now my favorite HG and the fact it comes with so many different customization options and stuff to personalize it is pretty sweet.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

So today on a whim, I got the HG Jesta Cannon. It is now my favorite HG and the fact it comes with so many different customization options and stuff to personalize it is pretty sweet.

Not gonna lie it was enough fun that at one point I was considering getting a pair of regular Jestas so I could have the Londo Bell Tri Stars. But I'm willing to settle for a somewhat likely MG Cannon in the near future. Hell they already have the mold and UC7 is out in a few months.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I like the fact that you can literally customize it from the weapons to different parts and decals. I'll post pictures later, but mine turned out great.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

TARDISman posted:

Hell they already have the mold and UC7 is out in a few months.
It's even beyond that for the Jesta: It a has panels that only serve to attach Cannon parts so they can recycle even more of the original mold. :v:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

CaptainRat posted:

I, too, have the Sazabi. It is hilariously enormous.

Just how hilariously enormous?

:shepface:
That's MG Aile Strike V2 next to him, for comparison. Sazabi is a MONSTER. He's not even standing up straight here.

Here he is by himself:

I haven't done much panel lining or any decaling yet because I'm lazy.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That is indeed massive. :stare:

Now come on HGUC FA Unicorn [Destroy Mode], get a release date so I can ship all my stuff from HLJ together.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

So the HG Universe booster doesn't come with the wing effect parts of the gun from what I can tell from the scans on hobby search, is there some way to get them without ordering the entire star build strike?

edit: On second look it does come with the gun, just not the giant wings.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
You can parts order the effect part runner, but it'd probably be cheaper just to get the Star Build Strike.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

I painted my Arche with phosphorescent paint:

I also painted the clear foot-sabers with it, but they're still drying.

Unfortunately, the panel lines are very messy since I started with enamel before realizing that the thinned paint would also erode the base-coat. I switched to using black acrylic halfway through, but i don't have the time or effort to redo the base coat to fix up the messy lining. It's still far better than the last one I painted, though.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Triggerhappypilot posted:

I painted my Arche with phosphorescent paint:

I also painted the clear foot-sabers with it, but they're still drying.

Unfortunately, the panel lines are very messy since I started with enamel before realizing that the thinned paint would also erode the base-coat. I switched to using black acrylic halfway through, but i don't have the time or effort to redo the base coat to fix up the messy lining. It's still far better than the last one I painted, though.

Where do you get that paint? Is it clear? Painting my Eva Unit-01 model with this would look awesome.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

GOT VIRUS FROM MP3 posted:

Where do you get that paint? Is it clear? Painting my Eva Unit-01 model with this would look awesome.

Here's the exact paint I used. The Brand manufactures a whole line of them, though.

Though i should mention some caveats to using it:

1: It is, by design, Opaque, very lumpy, and thick (it is made of relatively coarse phosphorescent particles dissolved in thin paint). I had to carve away quite a bit to get the plastic GN Drive dome to fit over the painted surface.if you're thinking about doing the outer surfaces with it, you'll need to be very dilligent to make it look good and even, since it dries rough.
2: Despite the fact that it claims to be red paint, it glows green. all of them do. Since you're probably doing the green highlights on EVA-01, this isn't really a problem.
3: It's kind of expensive- essentially half a pot of testors paint for $11 US. Since I was only doing the highlights it was fine, but if you're covering large surfaces with it. Again, may or may not be an issue depending on how much of your life you've signed away to plastic.

and finally...

4. GLOW HANDS

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

BlitzBlast posted:

You can parts order the effect part runner, but it'd probably be cheaper just to get the Star Build Strike.

Hm, well I'll just have to see how it prices out. Any good places for parts ordering in the UK?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Here's the exact paint I used. The Brand manufactures a whole line of them, though.

Though i should mention some caveats to using it:

1: It is, by design, Opaque, very lumpy, and thick (it is made of relatively coarse phosphorescent particles dissolved in thin paint). I had to carve away quite a bit to get the plastic GN Drive dome to fit over the painted surface.if you're thinking about doing the outer surfaces with it, you'll need to be very dilligent to make it look good and even, since it dries rough.
2: Despite the fact that it claims to be red paint, it glows green. all of them do. Since you're probably doing the green highlights on EVA-01, this isn't really a problem.
3: It's kind of expensive- essentially half a pot of testors paint for $11 US. Since I was only doing the highlights it was fine, but if you're covering large surfaces with it. Again, may or may not be an issue depending on how much of your life you've signed away to plastic.

and finally...

4. GLOW HANDS

Think of the glowy parts as grains of sand. This should never be airbrushed with, no matter how much its thinned, the sand will remain the same size and murder the internals of the airbrush.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

Think of the glowy parts as grains of sand. This should never be airbrushed with, no matter how much its thinned, the sand will remain the same size and murder the internals of the airbrush.

Oh yeah, I should have mentioned that too. I handbrushed it on, and it takes quite a bit of patience to get the particles evenly spread- you need to move them around with your brush manually, since the paint medium won't flow enough to move them around with it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Luminaflare posted:

Hm, well I'll just have to see how it prices out. Any good places for parts ordering in the UK?

Gentei Kits' parts service should be coming back up soon. As for the pricing, it's usually ~$2 a part. You might get a bit off for ordering the entire runner, but at eleven pieces it's probably going to come out to $22 before shipping. So unless the HG Star Build is really marked up, you might as well just get the whole thing.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Fauxtool posted:

One of those el cheapo craft store external-mix ABs could probably handle it.

VVV I used to use them for general coverage, they're really not bad as all that and are a lot easier to clean (did not use a foot pump BTW)

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 17, 2014

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bimmi posted:

One of those el cheapo craft store external-mix ABs could probably handle it.

you can get the same effect blowing a straw across the top of an open paint jar, why bother?

I saw one that used a foot pump, so awful

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 17, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
This modeler got a really nice effect on his Sinanju Stein's armor:

I think I'll try out a similar thing on mine when I get to it.

This is also a really nice piece:
http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2014/01/1100-gundam-f95-jd-conversion-kit.html

I feel like it would've looked better with the standard thruster bells though. I'm getting tired of everyone using shiny aluminum ones.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

muike posted:

This modeler got a really nice effect on his Sinanju Stein's armor:

I think I'll try out a similar thing on mine when I get to it..

are you talking about the light grain?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
He left the vent and sunk detail a little lighter than the raised armor bit, which is a nice inversion from what I'd usually think to do.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So here's my at whim Jesta Cannon. I'm still getting used to using the knife and trying to sand stuff down, but hopefully I can eventually knock out those nubs. My camera is messed up so I had to make do with a phone.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

One thing I adore about GundamGuy is the hyper elitist comment section, filled with people crying over every new Build Fighters release and saying that MG Gundam X will never sell. Makes me chuckle a bit especially considering I just ordered mine.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

GG's comment sections are hilarious. It's like a microcosm of the entire Gundam fanbase: you aren't allowed to enjoy things, everything you don't like is terrible, Bandai should be making my dream toy, etc.

Also I should totally be working on that guide but :effort:. Part 5 just needs a revise and some pictures, and part 6 is mostly done, but eeeeeeeeh. Too busy working on my 3.0.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

GG's comment sections are hilarious. It's like a microcosm of the entire Gundam fanbase: you aren't allowed to enjoy things, everything you don't like is terrible, Bandai should be making my dream toy, etc.

Also I should totally be working on that guide but :effort:. Part 5 just needs a revise and some pictures, and part 6 is mostly done, but eeeeeeeeh. Too busy working on my 3.0.

Can't forget that anything that doesn't take place in the Grand Holy Universal Century and has more than 4 cast members alive at the end is absolute loving garbage.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
It's been a while since I've posted...

I'd like to post this picture I took earlier today:

It's a Real Grade RX-78. If that wasn't immediately obvious. The short story is that I broke the articulated hands during construction and left it in a single pose out of fear of breaking anything else. The whole kit is a fragile mess. I've left it outside since September 2010 and partially exposed to the elements as a sort of project for natural weathering. I'll try to post more pictures later when I can find the time. I liked this one that I took earlier in particular. It's kind of artsy to me, apart from the obvious stickers.

It's survived remarkably well and will take it's place back outside when the weather warms up.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
So I'd like to pick up one of these Gunpla models soon and would appreciate some suggestions. I've built 40K models before and this looks much cheaper. I'd like a not too complicated model that looks cool with minimal painting necessary.

Basically, I'm in a location where it's not really feasible for me to buy a bunch of paints and stuff. Unless this is different from 40K where I was using a billion paints. What should I buy?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

unpurposed posted:

So I'd like to pick up one of these Gunpla models soon and would appreciate some suggestions. I've built 40K models before and this looks much cheaper. I'd like a not too complicated model that looks cool with minimal painting necessary.

Basically, I'm in a location where it's not really feasible for me to buy a bunch of paints and stuff. Unless this is different from 40K where I was using a billion paints. What should I buy?

Pick up any modern High Grade and go to town. Personally I recommend the Jesta Cannon. I posted pics of mine earlier in the thread, but any newer high grade will be a good start. Either that or one of the 30ish G Gundam MG's.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

unpurposed posted:

cool is way too subjective. Go with the any of the HG sized models made in the last year or so. They all look great unpainted and are relatively easy and cheap

Check http://dalong.net/ for views of them unpainted once you have decided on a model

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 20, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

unpurposed posted:

I'd like a not too complicated model that looks cool with minimal painting necessary.

Try basically any modern High Grade. Or, if you're not okay with stickers replacing paint, a Master Grade. Personally I'd recommend the MG Impulse, but like Fauxtool said "cool" is incredibly subjective. Scroll through dalong's MG catalog and just pick anything from after the first Aile Strike.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Wow, thanks for the super quick replies and suggestions! I'm just getting into Gundam (started watching Gundam Wing) and honestly I'm really just into it for the giant robots.

I was really liking this one (http://www.amazon.com/109-Gundam-GX-9900-144-model/dp/B003AH6EPU), as I saw someone post it in the thread earlier. But they all seem pretty good. I might get this or another one first, and then try to get a Deathscythe.

EDIT: Oh, and should I get a Gundam marker? Or will I be fine with a simple mechanical pencil? I'm reading conflicting things.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

unpurposed posted:

Wow, thanks for the super quick replies and suggestions! I'm just getting into Gundam (started watching Gundam Wing) and honestly I'm really just into it for the giant robots.

I was really liking this one (http://www.amazon.com/109-Gundam-GX-9900-144-model/dp/B003AH6EPU), as I saw someone post it in the thread earlier. But they all seem pretty good. I might get this or another one first, and then try to get a Deathscythe.

EDIT: Oh, and should I get a Gundam marker? Or will I be fine with a simple mechanical pencil? I'm reading conflicting things.

The X is a good kit, but it gets a master grade this week that is worth your money.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Do me a favor and be the test reader for my guide then.

Part 0: Introduction
Part 1: Getting Started
Part 2: Buying Your First Kit
Part 3: Understanding The Manual
Part 4: Touching Up Your First Kit
Part 5: Topcoating (still not done because I am a lazy gently caress)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Are you sure you don't have softer and setter backwards there? I always thought setter was supposed to be applied to the surface you're applying it to, and softer was for placing on top if it after it was placed.

• Locked thread