Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Condo market report from a REALTOR (TM). http://www.shuchatgroup.com/blog.mobi/vancouver-condo-market-report

code:
Sub areas	Inventory	Sales	Sales Ratio		
Arbutus	0	0			
Cambie	2	0			
Coal Harbour	66	5	7.58%		
Downtown	179	28	15.64%		
Dunbar	5	1	20.00%		
Fairview	43	8	18.60%		
False Creek	72	14	19.44%		
Kerrisdale	6	0			
Kitsilano	45	6	13.33%		
McKenzie Heights	0	0			
Marpole	6	1	16.67%		
Mount Pleasant	10	0			
Oakridge	1	0			
Point Grey	4	0			
Quilchena	20	0			
SW Marine	0	0			
Shaughnessy	0	0			
South Cambie	0	0			
South Granville	9	0			
Southlands	0	0			
University	52	2	3.85%		
West end	57	10	17.54%		
Yaletown	100	18	18.00%		
Totals	677	93	13.74%		
Price	Active	Sold	Sales Ratio		
<$200k	2	0	0.00%		
201-300	35	11	31.43%		
301-400	102	21	20.59%		
401-500	130	21	16.15%		
501-600	88	17	19.32%		
601-700	75	5	6.67%		
701-800	59	4	6.78%		
801-900	40	4	10.00%		
901-1000	23	2	8.70%		
Style of home	Inventory	  Sales	Sales Ratio		
0-1 BR	298	46	15.44%		
2 BR	330	39	11.82%		
3 BR	46	5	10.87%		
4 or more BR	3	0	0.00%		
Total	677	90	13.29% 		
The above numbers were derived from an analysis post Decebmer 31, 2013 to increase the reporting accuracy.  They are of course subject to change quickly as product gets listed and the market activity picks up after the holidays.  Buyers would look for high inventory areas with low activity and sellers, the opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Nice chart.

That investment advice thread from last page was hilarious:

Poster 1: Your ROI would be better if you just put your money into a thrift savings account.
OP: But CHINESE INVESTORS and PICTURESQUE MOUNTAINS
Poster 2: Income levels in Vancouver don't support this gasbag of a real estate market
OP: PICTURESQUE MOUNTAINS!!!!!

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
TD's [retiring] CEO Ed Clark: banks ought to be worrying about real estate.

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/report...b+Article+Links

Welp.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
This cbc video is hilarious.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canadian-home-prices-rise-prompting-creative-solutions-1.2496971

and by hilarious i mean sad

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

That could've been a propaganda piece for CREA. Absolutely no nuance or attempt to place within historical or international contexts.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The CBC and Globe seem to be internall split on home reporting. Kirk Williams at CBC Vancouver is one of the worst loving housing reporters but I guess that's to be expected when his husband works in real estate. That old guy who write economy articles in the globe in nuggets of poo poo is obviously banking his retirement on housing.

I really like watching The National's economics panel, especially when they have Preet Bannerjee and Amanda Lang on.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I hope all y'all are maxing out your RRSP contributions.

http://business.financialpost.com/2014/01/15/jan-15-pay-off-your-debts-or-make-an-rrsp-contribution/?__lsa=15b3-d6b2

quote:

A recent poll from Bank of Nova Scotia finds only 31% of Canadians plan to contribute to an RRSP, down from 39% just a year earlier. The same poll found 74% feel they can’t afford to make a contribution.

“There is just a lack of money,” said Mike Henry, senior vice-president of retail payments, deposits and lending at Scotiabank, about the lack of contributions. “RRSPs continue to be a really important and tax effective way to maximize their retirement savings.”

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think a lot of people assume the government will basicaly take care of them at the minimum in retirement, and personal retirement savings is just 'extra' for luxuries and stuff. Why do I need to have an RRSP I don't need to go on European cruises and poo poo when I'm retired!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Interesting fact.

quote:

It seems every quarter there’s a new headline stating Canadians are deeper in debt than ever before. Statistics Canada said in December household debt had reached 163.7% of disposable income in the third quarter — a record.

Also, this is one of the most terribly constructed paragraphs I've ever read in a national newspaper.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Baronjutter posted:

I think a lot of people assume the government will basicaly take care of them at the minimum in retirement, and personal retirement savings is just 'extra' for luxuries and stuff. Why do I need to have an RRSP I don't need to go on European cruises and poo poo when I'm retired!

Need money? Just take out a reverse mortgage lol

CBC newsworld needs to go to hell for packing in all these loving shyster financial ads.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Cultural Imperial posted:

I hope all y'all are maxing out your RRSP contributions.

There's also $5500 of TFSA contributions per year that I doubt anyone but the most wealthy are maxing out.

Also I'm kind of busy spending most of my meager income on rent and apparently the rest of the country is doing the same for rent or mortgage investments payments, soooo.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Need money? Just take out a reverse mortgage lol

CBC newsworld needs to go to hell for packing in all these loving shyster financial ads.

That's the scary thing, it seems basically every of my parents generation retirement plan is their house value. They can't afford to save for retirement because their mortgage and general living expenses are so high. If that poo poo crashes when they are needing to retire or when they need the money from their house they are hosed. "My house value" really seems to be a huge amount of people's retirement plan and it scares the poo poo out of me. For their sake and for mine since their financial mismanagement and resulting bailout is going to most likely gently caress my chances of ever seeing a penny of my government pension.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

It is pretty alarming how ill-prepared some people are for retirement.

My mom owns her house outright, has been contributing the max to an IRA since basically 1975, has an employer pension, and has a 401k with some outrageous total she's yet to reveal to me.

My mom-in-law doesn't know what an IRA is, has no savings of any kind, and her employer doesn't offer a pension. She also has roughly $40k in student loans and about 15 years to retirement. Her retirement plan is basically: Live in Grand Theft Autobot's garage loft.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
My wife and I are already supporting one set of parents. I expect we'll have to do the same for the other before the decade is out. As immigrants they didn't have enough work history to get much canadian pension. So yeah, saving for kids college, saving for your own retirement, and saving for your parents' retirement. :iamafag:

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Baronjutter posted:

That's the scary thing, it seems basically every of my parents generation retirement plan is their house value. They can't afford to save for retirement because their mortgage and general living expenses are so high. If that poo poo crashes when they are needing to retire or when they need the money from their house they are hosed. "My house value" really seems to be a huge amount of people's retirement plan and it scares the poo poo out of me. For their sake and for mine since their financial mismanagement and resulting bailout is going to most likely gently caress my chances of ever seeing a penny of my government pension.

There's no problem, you just pay off your mortgage and watch your house appreciate at 5%+/yr and then when you retire you sell up and retire to some quiet little hamlet with good amenities where house price inflation hasn't yet caught up with that in [metropolitan area where you used to live]. Your retirement fund is the difference between the inflated price of your old house and the uninflated price of your new house. It's pretty much foolproof. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

My wife and I are already supporting one set of parents. I expect we'll have to do the same for the other before the decade is out. As immigrants they didn't have enough work history to get much canadian pension. So yeah, saving for kids college, saving for your own retirement, and saving for your parents' retirement. :iamafag:

Whoa dude, exactly what do you mean by supporting? I'm asking because I'm assuming this set of parents are still able bodied.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Whoa dude, exactly what do you mean by supporting? I'm asking because I'm assuming this set of parents are still able bodied.

Probably exactly what it sounds like. I have a number of acquaintances whose parents are flat broke, retired and either currently are or soon to be financially dependent on their children.

Thanks god my parents got religion about retirement planning 20 years ago. (I hope.)

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

What the gently caress, "the selected item is not currently available"? It didn't stop you displaying those stupid ads to me, did it?

loving pricks.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Ahahaha! Yes, your $1200/month in basement suite rental income (more like $900 after maintenance, vacancy, tax, etc) is totally gonna help you out with the $5-8K/month you'll be paying on your $1.2m mortgage. How do they manage to present this stuff with a straight face?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Don't be silly. No one pays tax on the rental revenue from their lovely basements.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lexicon posted:

Don't be silly. No one pays tax on the rental revenue from their lovely basements.

To be fair, you do need to be in the black for there to be income to pay taxes on.

Not that they would pay them taxes if they didn't have a mortgage, or pay the city for the permits and licenses that rentals are required to have.

ocrumsprug fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 15, 2014

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

ocrumsprug posted:

Probably exactly what it sounds like. I have a number of acquaintances whose parents are flat broke, retired and either currently are or soon to be financially dependent on their children.

Thanks god my parents got religion about retirement planning 20 years ago. (I hope.)

Yeah pretty much. It'll be more and more common as the boomers get into retirement.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

ocrumsprug posted:

To be fair, you do need to be in the black for there to be income to pay taxes on.

Not that they would pay them taxes if they didn't have a mortgage, or pay the city for the permits and licenses that rentals are required to have.

I'm pretty sure you are obliged to pay taxes on rental income at your full marginal rate, regardless of whether you have a mortgage or not.

Not that anyone does, of course.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lexicon posted:

I'm pretty sure you are obliged to pay taxes on rental income at your full marginal rate, regardless of whether you have a mortgage or not.

Not that anyone does, of course.

Yes, but you get to deduct all of your expenses need to obtain that rent. I would imagine that if you are renting at a loss, it should be fairly trivial to get net rental income to be $0.

ocrumsprug fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 15, 2014

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
In the US you can also count capital depreciation of 1/27th the assessed value of the property against your income, plus mortgage interest, plus upkeep & expenses. It's nice.

vv depends on your perspective of course.

Fuzzy Mammal fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 16, 2014

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

In the US you can also count capital depreciation of 1/27th the assessed value of the property against your income, plus mortgage interest, plus upkeep & expenses. It's nice.

That sounds like the opposite of nice.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Ahahaha! Yes, your $1200/month in basement suite rental income (more like $900 after maintenance, vacancy, tax, etc) is totally gonna help you out with the $5-8K/month you'll be paying on your $1.2m mortgage. How do they manage to present this stuff with a straight face?

I love the home builder guy, "I don't think there's a ceiling"

etalian fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 16, 2014

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
There's a thread in the personal finance section of RFD called "RRSPs are for people who plan to be poor when they retire" and I'm saving it for a day when I have popcorn and half an hour to kill making myself feel better about myself by reading the red flag deals personal finance forum.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It's been a while since I've gone to RFD as I don't live in Canada right now, but the title is exactly right? The point of RRSPs is to reduce one's tax liability when one is at a higher income bracket, and move income to a point in life when one's overall income is in a lower tax bracket. Since RRSP contribution room carries forward, it makes little sense for young people to put money into them at earlier, lower wage stages in their life.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

It's been a while since I've gone to RFD as I don't live in Canada right now, but the title is exactly right? The point of RRSPs is to reduce one's tax liability when one is at a higher income bracket, and move income to a point in life when one's overall income is in a lower tax bracket. Since RRSP contribution room carries forward, it makes little sense for young people to put money into them at earlier, lower wage stages in their life.

Except that those tax savings can themselves be invested and begin earning compounded returns immediately. If anything, it's more akin to an interest-free loan you invest now in addition to the prospect of being able to pay less in taxes than you "borrowed" by deducting your contributions.

Edit: Also the adage that "Money now is worth more than money later"

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Oh man rfd.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control

PhilippAchtel posted:

Except that those tax savings can themselves be invested and begin earning compounded returns immediately. If anything, it's more akin to an interest-free loan you invest now in addition to the prospect of being able to pay less in taxes than you "borrowed" by deducting your contributions.

Edit: Also the adage that "Money now is worth more than money later"

This is a derail, but... you realize that regardless of the order you multiple and divide a number, you come up with the same end result, right? And that you're converting what would be capital gains (taxed less) into income, so you're generally being less efficient and paying MORE taxes, indeed ironic if your objective is to just "compound returns".

How is $1000 (pretax, RRSP$) * 1.08^20 * .65[tax] (when taken out) any different than 1000 * .65[tax] (money you've paid tax on and now invested in a regular investment account) * 1.08^20 any different? (It's not). The 'rebate' you get from RRSP contributions just ensures that this formula works out- if you invest the rebate, you aren't getting free money, you're investing pre-tax money. RRSPs only make sense when you are pretty certain you are contributing to them in a year in which you will earn less money than the year you will withdraw them fro the RRSP. They are there to normalize your tax burden, at the cost of converting capital gains and eligible dividends into regular income.

I'm 27 and I earn 60k/yr and I don't contribute a cent to my RRSP. I am saving the RRSP room for when my tax bracket is higher than it is now- I don't even think my tax bracket will be lower than it is now in retirement, at my current pace of savings. I contribute instead to my TFSA (maxed) and a taxable account, which I don't really pay any taxes on because it's almost all Canadian eligible dividends at this point.

Just because it has retirement in its name does not necessarily mean it's the best place to put your money for retirement. A tax free savings account is also not just a savings account for cash, it's pretty amazing for investments.

rhazes fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 16, 2014

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

rhazes posted:

This is a derail, but... you realize that regardless of the order you multiple and divide a number, you come up with the same end result, right? And that you're converting what would be capital gains (taxed less) into income, so you're generally being less efficient and paying MORE taxes, indeed ironic if your objective is to just "compound returns".

How is $1000 (pretax, RRSP$) * 1.08^20 * .65[tax] (when taken out) any different than 1000 * .65[tax] (money you've paid tax on and now invested in a regular investment account) * 1.08^20 any different? (It's not). The 'rebate' you get from RRSP contributions just ensures that this formula works out- if you invest the rebate, you aren't getting free money, you're investing pre-tax money. RRSPs only make sense when you are pretty certain you are contributing to them in a year in which you will earn less money than the year you will withdraw them fro the RRSP. They are there to normalize your tax burden, at the cost of converting capital gains and eligible dividends into regular income.

I'm 27 and I earn 60k/yr and I don't contribute a cent to my RRSP. I am saving the RRSP room for when my tax bracket is higher than it is now- I don't even think my tax bracket will be lower than it is now in retirement, at my current pace of savings. I contribute instead to my TFSA (maxed) and a taxable account, which I don't really pay any taxes on because it's almost all Canadian eligible dividends at this point.

Just because it has retirement in its name does not necessarily mean it's the best place to put your money for retirement. A tax free savings account is also not just a savings account for cash, it's pretty amazing for investments.

You have it right. Anyone adding to an RRSP who doesn't also receive a substantial tax reduction in the year of contribution due to their already high income has failed to understand the mathematics and/or taxation rules.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm in a similar boat. I have an employer defined-benefit pension, max my annual Roth IRA, and put a few grand in a 457, which I plan to work towards the max as my salary increases. Including my wife's savings, my household saves roughly 23% of our income toward retirement. This might be a little overkill given that we're in our late 20's, but we'll say the Great Recession has made me a thrifty motherfucker.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Jesus christ guys. How old are you? I'm guessing nowhere near 40. How have you subjected yourselves to the realization that you won't be making more money by the time you're ready to retire? Where the gently caress do you all live because if 60k/year is all you can hope for by retirement, you need to loving move.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Where do you move in the country with median total income barely above 30k?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

iv46vi posted:

Where do you move in the country with median total income barely above 30k?

Sadly, if I were a new grad, Saskatchewan or Alberta.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

PSA: there is a Canadian personal finance thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3569987&perpage=40&pagenumber=18

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
My retirement plan is a combination of my works DC pension plan and working until I can't and then being poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Jesus christ guys. How old are you? I'm guessing nowhere near 40. How have you subjected yourselves to the realization that you won't be making more money by the time you're ready to retire? Where the gently caress do you all live because if 60k/year is all you can hope for by retirement, you need to loving move.

Right, I plan on retiring at a high tax bracket, so I'm making Roth contributions today at a much lower tax bracket. Is a TFSA the Canadian Roth IRA?