Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

At least Malack managed to instill the right values into Durkon.

Interesting to see what Durkon's dad issue will be. His letter to the high priest suggests that his dad is missing or dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
Proof that V is male: he's a terrible parent.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Mniot posted:

Proof that V is male: he's a terrible parent.

In a Burlew piece, that's probably true.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

The Leper Colon V posted:

I'm just glad that there exists almost no possibility of Xykon's dad showing up.

We got a partial hint that his folks were good people (mild SoD spoiler) because they saw his talents and contacted a professor to try to recruit him for an X-Men knockoff group that saves the world that loathes its differences. And his dad's probably a zombie now with a trapped soul that will never be able to haunt him with messages to do the right thing.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Eschers Basement posted:

Okay, Rich, we get it. Fathers are irrational about how they think the world works, are obsessed with their children playing important roles in making sure that the world works that way, and go crazy and destructive when those children take a different path. That's why Gene forced Roy to continue the quest to kill Xykon and won't stop bitching about how terrible a job his son is doing at it; why Tarquin tried to destroy the Order so that Elan would finally take the right role in what Tarquin's narrative is; and why Ian initially rejected Haley and Elan because they didn't share his paranoid fantasies.

We get it. Please don't make us spend six months dealing with Ian Starshine just so you can make the point again.

This is exactly why I hope that the conversation between Haley and Ian is going to go like this;

Haley: Dad, come with us.
Ian: For the last goddamn time, no!
Roy: Alright, time to go.

So that all the people who keep saying "well Ian is gonna be there and of course that means Tarquin will show up despite not knowing or recognizing who Ian is nor learning about him later" can shut the hell up already.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Or Ian will just flat out refuse to come with her so long as Elan is there, believing him to be manipulating her into unknowingly setting up a trap.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Honestly, maybe it's about time that Elan gave Haley her own advice, about finding family in Good people, than good in your family.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Who What Now posted:

This is exactly why I hope that the conversation between Haley and Ian is going to go like this;

Roy: Alright, time to go.

So that all the people who keep saying "well Ian is gonna be there and of course that means Tarquin will show up despite not knowing or recognizing who Ian is nor learning about him later" can shut the hell up already.

Not quite.

Roy: Aaaand 10 minutes. Alright, time to go.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Shugojin posted:

Not quite.

Roy: Aaaand 10 minutes. Alright, time to go.

The the last strip was very self-referential. No, they're not going to deal with Tarquin and his empire in this story. Yes, the ending to this arc has dragged on a fair bit.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Also no, characters don't do the optimal guaranteed win thing if it doesn't make for a good story.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

The Leper Colon V posted:

Honestly, maybe it's about time that Elan gave Haley her own advice, about finding family in Good people, than good in your family.

Ian isn't remotely as bad a parent as Tarquin though.

Also, Ian isn't the person that needs dealing with. His traitorous brother-in-law is.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

NihilCredo posted:

Ian isn't remotely as bad a parent as Tarquin though.

Also, Ian isn't the person that needs dealing with. His traitorous brother-in-law is.

I don't know, his whole TRUST NO ONE thing almost ruined his daughter's life by, you know, making her unable to trust anybody.

I mean I guess he appears to have come by it via trauma so it's not as much his fault as Tarquin's murdering his son, but he still did a really bad job as a dad.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Shugojin posted:

I don't know, his whole TRUST NO ONE thing almost ruined his daughter's life by, you know, making her unable to trust anybody.

I mean I guess he appears to have come by it via trauma so it's not as much his fault as Tarquin's murdering his son, but he still did a really bad job as a dad.

He also successfully raised her to adulthood in a city run by thieving murderers.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
By turning her into a thieving murderer. SoD spoiler: Remember that one of her major concerns re: getting her dad back was the revenue that she could make by doing so.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

If we're going to count "being a thieving murderer" as a parenting failure in a comic about D&D adventurers, successes are going to be few and far between. Celia has a mom, I guess?

I kind of doubt the resolution to the Ian thing will just be Haley going "huh, I guess he really is dead-set on not accepting any help, okay on to the next plot point." Hopefully it won't drag on for fifty strips either, but it'll still probably be something more significant.

If Rich just wants to tie off a loose end, they could just have a brief confrontation where Ian accepts her help and admits she's right about Elan, sewing up the whole trust issues thing.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Combed Thunderclap posted:

...not that V necessarily specifically told anyone that they divorced their partner and sold their soul to fiends. Which may or may not be relevant to the ability to pass through Elven airspace, depending on where Rich wants to take the story.

I think V mentioned the whole "leased hir soul to fiends" to Roy (there was a bit of argument about what is and isn't the place for that sort of thing), specifically re: "where I was for the entire loving fight", but I don't know if the information was disseminated to the rest of the party or how they feel about it if it was.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I suspect being a murderhobo and having a satisfying and happy childhood are not the most common pairing.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Dr. Buttass posted:

I think V mentioned the whole "leased hir soul to fiends" to Roy (there was a bit of argument about what is and isn't the place for that sort of thing), specifically re: "where I was for the entire loving fight", but I don't know if the information was disseminated to the rest of the party or how they feel about it if it was.

At least on-panel, V never explained why zhe was absent or where zhe was. Just that it involved "shockingly poor moral character" on V's part. V says "I'm telling you now so that it is done," but that doesn't mean that V is actually done; redemption requires an ongoing effort to be a better person, and can never actually be "done". I think that's meant to be another teaching moment as V realizes that.

The strip in question: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0920.html

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Ponsonby Britt posted:

At least on-panel, V never explained why zhe was absent or where zhe was. Just that it involved "shockingly poor moral character" on V's part. V says "I'm telling you now so that it is done," but that doesn't mean that V is actually done; redemption requires an ongoing effort to be a better person, and can never actually be "done". I think that's meant to be another teaching moment as V realizes that.

The strip in question: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0920.html

I think by "it" V just meant "telling him", not the incident as a whole. Based on the conversations with Blackwing at least, V is aware that there isn't a quick solution to the situation. However, it's highly unlikely that more was explained off panel given what was happening at the time, so presumably it might be worth revealing a bit more about what happened, especially given the whole "I might disappear for 23 minutes at an incredibly vital time" aspect.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

MikeJF posted:

People keep forgetting, the grand legacy with the great story was a recent thing since he re-met Elan. Tarquin, for most part, was concerned with living the good life until his death.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0763.html

Huh, was the background always white in some of those panels?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Anatharon posted:

Huh, was the background always white in some of those panels?

Scroll down.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I think by "it" V just meant "telling him", not the incident as a whole. Based on the conversations with Blackwing at least, V is aware that there isn't a quick solution to the situation. However, it's highly unlikely that more was explained off panel given what was happening at the time, so presumably it might be worth revealing a bit more about what happened, especially given the whole "I might disappear for 23 minutes at an incredibly vital time" aspect.

I phrased that poorly, I meant to say what you're saying. Roy just knows "V made a poor moral decision", not "V made a deal with fiends, and will disappear at two important moments in the future".

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0939.html
:siren:Donation Drive:siren:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Guess Rich really doesn't want another Tough Ethical Debate at this point in the story, and I can't blame him in the least tbh.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's never going to develop into any problem at all.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
It's great to Belkar occupying moral high ground.

Durkon's way of speaking feels a little different from before he was vamped. More forced. Am I just imagining that? It has been a while since Durkon had a lot of dialog.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Roy's a PC. Any group of PCs worth their salt when given access to a Vampire Cleric will move heaven and earth to keep said Cleric. There's so much power and utility there.

Naturally, Rich will make them pay dearly for abusing that opportunity. Almost certainly in the form of Redcloak and Command Undead, if not before then.

I'm curious about who exactly Durkon's getting his spells from. Thor shouldn't be fulfilling his requests...he's the wrong alignment now, and undead besides. I'm guessing we'll get a Durkon prayer time reveal of him having switched to Hel at some point, and that he's mentioning Thor to keep people thinking he's just the same old Durkon.

Which, as Zz'ditri could tell you if he hadn't been murdered, he most certainly is not.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder what Real Durkon would/will think of this.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Now that would be an awesome way to end the book. A look at Durkon's soul in the clouds weeping in horror, before being led away by Durkon's Archon to Thor's Meadhall.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jng2058 posted:

Now that would be an awesome way to end the book. A look at Durkon's soul in the clouds weeping in horror, before being led away by Durkon's Archon to Thor's Meadhall.

I believe Durkon's soul is currently in stasis until his body dies according to how things work in D&D.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I really don't think it works like that. If it did it would imply the soul of Xykon is around somewhere, either watching his animated body do terrible things (albeit approvingly) or in stasis, and that doesn't quite go together with his big speech about "be a lich, be a brain in a jar, anything as long as you avoid the big fire below." If the Xykon we know had been created only upon becoming a lich he wouldn't care.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
DnD Liches and Vampires both have explicit mechanics. The vamprire's host-body's original soul is meant to be in stasis or something, yeah, but liches retain the same soul and personality (which I think they store in the phylactery?).

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's never going to develop into any problem at all.

Taking all bets! I've got 4:1 odds on "I cannae do it, lad, I don't feel right doing this," 7:1 on Elan running out of OJ, 50:1 on "Roy, I dinna know how to tell ya this, but you've got no blood fer me to drink," 100:1 on "Haley, lass, I'm pregnant, and yer tha father!"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Allstone posted:

DnD Liches and Vampires both have explicit mechanics.
Oooh. Alright then! Thought it was just a general undeath thing.

e: Durkon will totally feel alright doing this. That's the thing.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I thought the former soul of an undead was what animated the undead (with magic taking that place for a lich).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Font changed back. It is easier on the eyes.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Two things that occur:

- Rich has spent a lot of time showing us that even though people are evil, that doesn't mean they can't work together and have friends. I suspect we may see the flipside soon: evil people can have friends but that doesn't mean they're not still evil.
- Roy, Elan and Haley are entering into a situation where there will be a vampire travelling the lands with three living people in tow he drinks from each night, no questions asked or protests raised and in fact they offer themselves willingly.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

MikeJF posted:

I believe Durkon's soul is currently in stasis until his body dies according to how things work in D&D.

This is what is known as "the fluff" and depends on the setting as the actual details are copyright according to each particular setting. "The soul is trapped by a blank demon with your memories and a mockery of your personality" is Greyhawk/one of the pre-Faerun settings and isn't and explicit mechanic of the Open Gaming License. No mention is made at the d20 SRD.

So we won't know until Rich makes it explicit, but the most we know is the soul is not able to pass on and likely still within the vampire at the least because it cannot be resurrected/true resurrected until the vampire is destroyed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Durkon's totally conning them with his helpful act to play some long game. I'm basing this theory on the fact that it's this comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

jng2058 posted:

Roy's a PC. Any group of PCs worth their salt when given access to a Vampire Cleric will move heaven and earth to keep said Cleric. There's so much power and utility there.

Naturally, Rich will make them pay dearly for abusing that opportunity. Almost certainly in the form of Redcloak and Command Undead, if not before then.

I'm curious about who exactly Durkon's getting his spells from. Thor shouldn't be fulfilling his requests...he's the wrong alignment now, and undead besides. I'm guessing we'll get a Durkon prayer time reveal of him having switched to Hel at some point, and that he's mentioning Thor to keep people thinking he's just the same old Durkon.

Which, as Zz'ditri could tell you if he hadn't been murdered, he most certainly is not.

Durkon is now a Theistic cleric and gets his spells just generally from a concept, like he's suddenly entered the setting of Fate/Stay Night; there's a fairly in depth process iirc to switching to a different god.