Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

WampaLord posted:

I feel like part of the anxiety/paranoia of weed is related to its legality (or lack thereof.)

As someone who never started smoking until I was in CA where I got a medical card, I've never felt paranoid or anxious smoking (vaping, technically :v:). I think that a major part of the reason for that is that I have literally nothing to fear. I only smoke it at home and my company doesn't drug test, so I can't get in any sort of major trouble for smoking. The biggest repercussion I have to fear is my roommate walking into my room and saying "Oh my god it reeks of weed in here, open a window."

I bet if we surveyed weed users in CO they would report less feelings of paranoia/anxiety than people in states where it's still illegal, but this is just my pet theory, I haven't seen any actual data on this.

For what it's worth, I was pretty paranoid when smoking before I moved to California, and I stayed that way to some degree when I moved there, but it definitely faded over time. Now I've moved away from California again and the paranoia hasn't come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm glad I've never had enough respect for the Law to cause paranoia or stress while smoking, because that sounds terrible.

Did you get the same paranoia when you drank underage?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Different strains, differing results and...

Yeah, I think people tend to believe cannabis is a single drug. In reality, the balance of phytocannabinoids/terpenoids and therefore the effect can vary substantially between plants:

http://www.cornerstonecollective.com/cannabis-synergy-beyond-thc/

http://www.beyondthc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/EntourageEffect.pdf

Plus you really shouldn't mix tobacco into your cannabis

KingEup fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 15, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

I'm glad I've never had enough respect for the Law to cause paranoia or stress while smoking, because that sounds terrible.

Nah I really only drank in people's houses where it was whatever, people drinking inside a house was never a big deal. My friends never did anything dumb enough there to get the cops called. With weed I was more of the stereotype, smoking while walking on a back road or behind some dumpster somewhere, which definitely didn't help, and weed use is more obvious in how it smells. So I can't isolate the drug vs the environment, but it was definitely worse with weed. Pennsylvania also has terrible drug laws which made things worse in my head.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Powercrazy posted:

I think it's less "respect for the law" and more "my entire life could be ruined if I got busted" that creates the feelings of paranoia/anxiety. Getting busted for underage drinking is basically a slap on the wrist, but marijuana possession is still a felony in a depressing amount of states (including my glorious home state Florida.)

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
As a teenager smoking pot enhanced the "thrill" of doing something 'bad.' I knew smoking pot was more "wrong" than drinking, as in it was a more serious offense, but an even more serious offense was breaking curfew, and often when I smoked I was doing both at the same time for obvious reasons. I could see that some people would interpret those feelings as paranoia, but for me it was just exciting. Whether I was in any real danger of getting my life ruined by the law I don't really know.

I doubt it given my social privilege combined with my minor status as well as the small amounts I'd be carrying. I also smoked rarely and didn't really start smoking until college. It's probably just a different interpretation of similar feelings between different people to be honest, after all context is everything.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

forgot my pants posted:

Can you tell me more about this? For most people I know, including myself, it increases our anxiety. I find that I tend to not get my work done when on it or if I've used it in the previous 48 hours. In turn this fuels my anxiety. Additionally, when I am high I don't like to be in public or around other people who aren't high, so it increases my avoidant tendencies.

Could you elaborate on how you use it to combat your anxiety and depression, as well as how it affects you? You can PM me if you prefer to reply privately!

As some background material, let me quote an earlier post of mine:

mdemone posted:

There are two primary psychoactive ingredients in cannabis (and a few others in trace amounts): tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD). They have very different effects; THC is what gives you the crazy mental activity and thought processes, and gives you a feeling of energetic well-being and often, a focus on creativity. CBD is the "body high" that relaxes anxiety and induces couch-lock.

Strains are characterized by their THC/CBD ratio. The higher that ratio, the more active you will likely be after smoking it. Sativas have high THC/CBD, indicas have relatively lower THC/CBD. Of course most strains now available are hybrids to at least some degree, but you can trace the genetics (and the physiology of a particular plant) to determine how much of a sativa it will be versus indica. There are some pure strains around that are one or the other, but it's not common.

Hash is generally high in CBD, because the process of making hash tends to destroy relatively more of the THC, so using hash is basically like smoking a strong indica (like OG Kush or something) and it is going to put you on your rear end.

THC is what increases your anxiety, such that although a strong indica still has lots of THC, the sedative effects of CBD can significantly counteract. So maybe try smoking a Kush and see if that makes you feel differently.

I have also found that cannabis-related anxiety lessens with time, in a moderate/heavy usage pattern. Part of this is your brain getting used to those different psychoactive neural behaviors, but I think most of it is a subconscious relaxation of the typical paranoia that often accompanies casual and infrequent use. *

The mechanism by which cannabis causes significant relief of depression ought to be much more intuitively obvious. I also suspect that many forms of social anxiety are relieved somewhat by the treatment of depression, but this response is highly individualized.

*Note that I am not a doctor (at least of medicine), so take all of this as merely anecdotal and please keep in mind that your mileage may vary.

forgot my pants
Feb 28, 2005

mdemone posted:

I have also found that cannabis-related anxiety lessens with time, in a moderate/heavy usage pattern. Part of this is your brain getting used to those different psychoactive neural behaviors, but I think most of it is a subconscious relaxation of the typical paranoia that often accompanies casual and infrequent use.

Thanks for the response, but I'm more curious about how you personally use it. Do you smoke or use edibles? Do you use it later in the day to wind down? If so is that effective for 24 hour anxiety relief or is it only effective during the high? How do you prevent your tolerance from going up and how do you avoid overconsumption? Are there any drawbacks that you've experienced?

I'm not new to marijuana, just to clarify!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

forgot my pants posted:

Thanks for the response, but I'm more curious about how you personally use it. Do you smoke or use edibles? Do you use it later in the day to wind down? If so is that effective for 24 hour anxiety relief or is it only effective during the high? How do you prevent your tolerance from going up and how do you avoid overconsumption? Are there any drawbacks that you've experienced?

I'm not new to marijuana, just to clarify!

I smoke, because I enjoy the routine of it, and because vaping has always been more trouble than it's worth to me.

Many people use sativas in the morning, to energize them as from a cup of coffee, and then use indicas in the evening to wind down. I have found that indica anxiety relief lasts longer than the high, primarily because your brain is still feeling the effects well after you notice the high disappearing. Not a 24-hr treatment by any means.

I have a ridiculous tolerance, but taking a "vacation" for a few weeks every couple of months goes a long way toward renormalization. It's the only real drawback.

As far as overconsumption, heh -- that's not something I've been able to solve. My wife and I smoke way too much and we know it. Both of us are successful professionals and have never experienced any significant negative effects in our daily lives or careers, however. That is NOT what I recommend to people, though; you need to find a usage pattern that works for you without disrupting your personal life and that is far harder than it sounds. But it certainly can be done, and more people do it than you might think.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mdemone posted:

As far as overconsumption, heh -- that's not something I've been able to solve. My wife and I smoke way too much and we know it. Both of us are successful professionals and have never experienced any significant negative effects in our daily lives or careers, however.

Anecdotally, this is basically my situation as well. Except I do vape, because it's the superior method. :colbert:

I haven't tried a break to reset my tolerance, does that work pretty well?

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011

WampaLord posted:

Anecdotally, this is basically my situation as well. Except I do vape, because it's the superior method. :colbert:

I haven't tried a break to reset my tolerance, does that work pretty well?

Yes. If you vape every day don't smoke from waking up one day to the next the next time you smoke your tolerance will be noticeably lower. 1-3 days is the longest I usually go without smoking at all (unless I'm intending to have to pee clean soon) and yes you should try a tolerance break, its a gift from the weed Gods.

EDIT: ^^ 100% anecdotal

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Treat smoking like drinking, few people consider it healthy to drink everyday, why smoke everyday?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Powercrazy posted:

Treat smoking like drinking, few people consider it healthy to drink everyday, why smoke everyday?

For that matter, smoke weed, not cigarettes.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Powercrazy posted:

The two substances are nothing alike. Not in any way. Why treat them the same?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Powercrazy posted:

Because one has known medicinal effects that alleviate my neuropsych issues, and the other does not. Cannabis improves my life measurably, whereas alcohol cannot make such a claim. Moreover, abusing the latter substance has directly contributed to the deaths of multiple members of my family -- I have often wondered how different their lives might have been had they chosen cannabis as their preferred self-medication (issues of emergent physical dependence on alcohol notwithstanding).

Your statement arises from merely conflating the two substances because they are both psychoactive. Beyond that characteristic, they could not be more different both in their effects on behavior and in their physiological consequences over the short- and long-term.

Baroti
Feb 22, 2009
New Hampshire's House of Reps. just passed a legalization bill. It's onto the Senate now. Age 21+ for purchase and an adult can hold up to one ounce. The state is imposing a $30 dollar tax.

http://www.motherjones.com/documents/1006028-nh-hb-492

That's a link to the bill that passed.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The governor says she'll veto it though, so we'll see. Still a major accomplishment, they are the first state legislative chamber to pass a legalization bill.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Jeffrey posted:

The governor says she'll veto it though, so we'll see. Still a major accomplishment, they are the first state legislative chamber to pass a legalization bill.

I doubt it'll pass the Senate either. It's a good step forward, I suppose, but nh won't be the first state in the Northeast to legalize. I think what's most likely to happen is Maine will legalize in 2016, with the rest of the states in New England following - probably Massachusetts would be next. It's already not that big of a deal, but it'd be really nice to have retail stores and not even have to worry about any legal issues.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Salt Fish posted:

The two substances are nothing alike. Not in any way. Why treat them the same?

You shouldn't eat apple pie everyday either, nor have sex everyday, nor even workout everyday. Take a break sometimes.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Powercrazy posted:

You shouldn't eat apple pie everyday either, nor have sex everyday, nor even workout everyday. Take a break sometimes.

Cannabis is a leafy green vegetable. You could consume it everyday just like coffee beans. It's quite nutritious. I wouldn't smoke it though.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 16, 2014

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Powercrazy posted:

I'm sure you intend there to be an implicit exception here but someone else mentioned it already and here we are not talking about it. Some drugs are recommended by doctors for every day use, and you probably shouldn't "take a break" without consulting them.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Baroti posted:

New Hampshire's House of Reps. just passed a legalization bill. It's onto the Senate now. Age 21+ for purchase and an adult can hold up to one ounce. The state is imposing a $30 dollar tax.

An interesting piece of that bill:

quote:

10 Purity and Branding of Foods and Drugs; Misbranding. Amend RSA 146:6, IV to read as follows:
IV. If it is for use by man and contains any quantity of the narcotic or hypnotic substance alphaeucaine, barbituric acid, beta-eucaine, bromal, [cannabis,] carbromal, chloral, coca, cocaine, codeine, heroin, [marihuana,] morphine, opium, paraldehyde, peyote, or sulphonmethane, or any chemical derivative of such substance, which derivative has been by the commissioner after investigation found to be, and by regulation designated as, habit-forming, unless its label bears the name and quantity or proportion of such substance or derivative and in juxtaposition therewith the statement “Warning - May Be Habit Forming.”

Cakebaker
Jul 23, 2007
Wanna buy some cake?

forgot my pants posted:

Can you tell me more about this? For most people I know, including myself, it increases our anxiety. I find that I tend to not get my work done when on it or if I've used it in the previous 48 hours. In turn this fuels my anxiety. Additionally, when I am high I don't like to be in public or around other people who aren't high, so it increases my avoidant tendencies.

Could you elaborate on how you use it to combat your anxiety and depression, as well as how it affects you? You can PM me if you prefer to reply privately!

I'm not really sure what people are on about saying the anxiety is due to people fearing getting busted, I have never been afraid that will happen but when I get really high I get very anxious and uncomfortable, and I'm probably one of the least anxious people on the planet. I know many who are the same way and for most people I know who have stopped or only smoke very occasionally that's their stated reason as well.

I think it's mainly due to natural tolerances to cannabis varying much more than tolerance to alcohol, weed being really strong these days, and trying to keep up with others. It took me a long time to realize that weed is incredible as long as I smoke like a fifth of what everyone else does, I'm just a lightweight.

I also find you develop a tolerance to the anxiogenic effects faster than to the nice effects, so yeah basically start very very small and slowly work your way up. Some people like to get incredibly stoned while some prefer the weed equivalent of the buzz off of two or three beers, you just gotta find your sweet spot.

I really hope legalization will bring out niche products like really low-THC strains, I'd like to smoke a nice joint but as it is I roll my spiffs with like 90% tobacco because otherwise they would wreck me.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Cakebaker posted:

I really hope legalization will bring out niche products like really low-THC strains, I'd like to smoke a nice joint but as it is I roll my spiffs with like 90% tobacco because otherwise they would wreck me.

Marlboro Greens Light: For the buzz in your life, special low THC edition.

I now await my royalty check.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Nevvy Z posted:

I'm sure you intend there to be an implicit exception here but someone else mentioned it already and here we are not talking about it. Some drugs are recommended by doctors for every day use, and you probably shouldn't "take a break" without consulting them.

Some drugs have very strict dosing and times of day when you take them. Some are just for a single dose a day. Some are even more casual giving a minimum and a maximum number of doses, and some are recommended to the patient "as needed." After all it would be silly to treat all drugs the same right?

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

Powercrazy posted:

Powercrazy posted:

Stop telling people what to do.

forgot my pants
Feb 28, 2005

Chalets the Baka posted:

Stop telling people what to do.

That are certainly some medical conditions where smoking every day would be appropriate.

Recreationally using marijuana every day without ever taking a break seems like it could be problematic. Like any pleasurable activity, marijuana can be addictive. If using it every day has no downsides for your life, then it isn't really an issue. But users of any psychoactive drug (medical or recreational) have to be honest with themselves about whether or not their use is beneficial, and, if not, they should self-police their usage accordingly.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

forgot my pants posted:

Recreationally using marijuana every day without ever taking a break seems like it could be problematic. Like any pleasurable activity, marijuana can be addictive. If using it every day has no downsides for your life, then it isn't really an issue. But users of any psychoactive drug (medical or recreational) have to be honest with themselves about whether or not their use is beneficial, and, if not, they should self-police their usage accordingly.

And that decision is up to them to make, not for you or anyone else. Just because something seems like it might be problematic is pure speculation and frankly, none of your business.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
yes we must make sure we don't ever do pleasurable activities daily

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Baroti posted:

I assume you meant 30% tax, not 30$?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Powercrazy posted:

If I really like apple pie, sex, and/or working out and am aware of the risks of indulging daily, who are you to tell me to take a break sometimes?

forgot my pants posted:

That are certainly some medical conditions where smoking every day would be appropriate.

I agree with this completely. Especially the "users should self-police" part. We don't need laws for this.

I drink coffee and smoke pot every day, and can say with utter certainty that caffeine is far worse to me than cannabis if I skip a day. I get really bad headaches and am really tired. Other negatives: I'll usually drop $10/week at Dunkin Donuts, and the sugar is probably not that good for me. That said, I love that first cup of coffee in the morning, and have long since determined that the pros outweigh the cons, and so I'll happily continue drinking it. I (and lots of other people) just want the ability to make that choice regarding pot as well.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Count Roland posted:

I assume you meant 30% tax, not 30$?

Nope; the proposal is a flat $30 tax per ounce.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Murmur Twin posted:

If I really like apple pie, sex, and/or working out and am aware of the risks of indulging daily, who are you to tell me to take a break sometimes?

It was really in response to the worrying about "over-consumption". Call me a fascist libertarian or whatever, but it seems to me that if you are worried about over-consumption, you should consume less. Weird right?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Murmur Twin posted:

I assume the same logic which would apply for seatbelts.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Broken Machine posted:

Nope; the proposal is a flat $30 tax per ounce.

A flat tax like this actually makes more sense with regards to creating a price floor if you want to curb export to other states.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

Baroti posted:

And our wonderful governor, who is 100% behind finding new ways for the state to make income such as legalizing casinos, has flat out said she will veto this bill if it gets to her desk. Really the only surprising part to me is that this bill even made it past the House considering how difficult it was to even get medical approval.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Person Dyslexic posted:

And our wonderful governor, who is 100% behind finding new ways for the state to make income such as legalizing casinos, has flat out said she will veto this bill if it gets to her desk. Really the only surprising part to me is that this bill even made it past the House considering how difficult it was to even get medical approval.

New Hampshire is still leading the country in most Live Free slogans to actual free living.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Dusseldorf posted:

New Hampshire is still leading the country in most Live Free slogans to actual free living.

To my knowledge(and the wikipedia) New Hampshire is also the only state in the north-east that hasn't decriminalized marijuana.

Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004

Powercrazy posted:

It was really in response to the worrying about "over-consumption". Call me a fascist libertarian or whatever, but it seems to me that if you are worried about over-consumption, you should consume less. Weird right?

Lol, you're ridiculous. Mindfulness is important but there's nothing harmful about daily exercise or sex. Other than habituation and boredom. The idea that people need to consume something to feel is the issue -- but that's more about the general meaninglessness of modern life than drug use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Amused to Death posted:

To my knowledge(and the wikipedia) New Hampshire is also the only state in the north-east that hasn't decriminalized marijuana.

Really? That's...weird. New Hampshire is weird. I used to think they were cool, man.

Hear that, New Hampshire? You're not cool anymore. You're washed up! You're done! You're done like dinner.

They don't even much care for you living free, which may be why they don't wanna legalize weed either.

• Locked thread