Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Munich has a couple pretty awesome palaces and there's definitely enough to do there for 3 days. Salzburg is beautiful but doesn't have that much there (as far as I'm aware) but it's probably good for 2 days' worth of tourism. Vienna I could easily spend a week there and not see everything I want to.

There's also the Neuschwanstein Castle, which is maybe what you meant by Fussen.

Trains are fine for your general idea. Even if there are flights between Munich and Vienna, they'd take longer than trains when you consider check in time, waiting for takeoff, security, getting to the airport, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Amaterasu posted:

Looking for advice on a trip to Austria with a stop in Southern Germany in mid October. The longest I can plan for is 11 days but 10 sounds better. We'd probably leave on Wednesday and return on Friday so we'd have the whole weekend to adjust back to CST before going to work on Monday. Of course you basically lose a whole day on each end of the trip just for actual travel.

I'm not 100% certain on where we'll by going to in Germany yet but I'm thinking Munich. My main stops are Salzburg and Vienna so wherever we go in Germany would need to be somewhat close by. I plan on returning to Germany in the future so if I don't see something now it's not the end of the world. It may be the last time I go to Southern Germany though. The main benefit of Munich, besides location, is that I can get a direct flight instead of having to go through Frankfurt. That cuts my travel time by 3 hours on one leg of the trip.

Anyone have any suggestions for what we should do in Germany? Whether that be Munich or somewhere else? Maybe go to Fussen? It doesn't seem like there's a ton of stuff to do in Munich. My husband loves craft beer. I realize we'll be missing Oktoberfest but we'll also be missing the crowds and higher hotel rates.

Suggestions for Salzburg? My main plans were a little bit of hiking, the fortress and general exploring.

Suggestions for Vienna? This would be our first stop. I'd be open to a stop between Vienna and Salzburg if it was really worth it. However, I'm not big on going to a new place every other day. I like to have a little bit of time to relax. My sleep schedule will be so screwed up so I will be losing a lot of time just from that. That's what happened when I went to Stockholm but it wasn't a big deal since we were there for a whole week.

We're going to use only public transportation and likely only trains for the main stretches between cities. I want to avoid additional flights if possible.

Hotel and restaurants suggestions are also welcome.

You'd probably find this book useful if you do decide on Munich: http://www.amazon.com/Steves-Snapshot-Munich-Bavaria-Salzburg/dp/1598806890

Munich does make sense because you are a very short train trip from Salzburg. There's a lot you can do in Munich, but Neuschwanstein is definitely a must as I'm sure you know. If you want a hassle free method and don't mind spending a bit more than what it would cost you on your own, I recommend New Europe Tours (http://www.newmunichtours.com/). You meet up in the train station, pay the tour guide, and they take care of everything. The tour guide we had, Jonathan, was very knowledgeable and led us all around the area outside the castle. We also went to Dachau with the same tour guide and it was also very informative.

In Salzburg, you can walk around Old Town (Rick Steves offers a nice guided walk for this) and hike up to the fortress. There's museums and Mozart's birth place if you care about that at all. There are various tour companies that offer day trips to surrounding areas for hiking and sightseeing.

For Vienna, I think our highlight was Schönbrunn Palace. If the weather cooperates, you can do the palace tour and then wander around the grounds for hours.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
The Eisriesenwelt outside of Salzburg is pretty bizarre and fun. It's an ice cave way (way) up on the side of a mountain. Dress warm even if it's hot outside.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Thank y'all for the info and the help! Apparently I might be moving to Texas for a previous employer so this has put some kibosh on the Europe stuff for a bit...but they do have facilities in Europe and Poland...hmmm.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Sand Monster posted:

For Vienna, I think our highlight was Schönbrunn Palace. If the weather cooperates, you can do the palace tour and then wander around the grounds for hours.

I have to second this. I was there today and even in winter it was awesome. Summer would be even more impressive.

Also you can go to the state opera for 3! Euro (standing tickets only.) They start selling standing tickets an hour and a half before the start so turn up 15-30 minutes before that and line up. You can then go tie your scarf around a rail on your balcony to reserve the spot (getting there earlier = a better spot) and spend the time getting a drink and exploring the public rooms of the Opera house.

Saros fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 16, 2014

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
We talked about Vienna a few months ago and I'll throw in that St. Stephen's has an unusually good audioguide. The church is kinda ehh, but I found that I learned a lot of history about Vienna and the Austrian empire in general by listening to the guide and seeing some of the important things that took place there in the cathedral.

Amaterasu
Aug 7, 2007
Godless Heathen

emfive posted:

The Eisriesenwelt outside of Salzburg is pretty bizarre and fun. It's an ice cave way (way) up on the side of a mountain. Dress warm even if it's hot outside.

Thank you! That is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.

Deutsches Museum also sounds like a good bet.

Sand Monster, thank you for the link. I didn't realize Dachau was near Munich. I would also be interested in their WWII tour of Munich as I'm a huge history buff.

Has anyone been to the woods outside Vienna or Seegrotte?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Amaterasu posted:

Thank you! That is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.

Deutsches Museum also sounds like a good bet.

Sand Monster, thank you for the link. I didn't realize Dachau was near Munich. I would also be interested in their WWII tour of Munich as I'm a huge history buff.

Has anyone been to the woods outside Vienna or Seegrotte?

If you want more hiking, maybe go up Untersberg outside of Salzburg (30 minutes or so by bus). You can start at the bottom or take a cable car up 2500 meters or so, and then hike around on fairly rugged trails. No equipment is required but you should be in decent shape and not afraid of heights. Depending on how far you go and what trail you take, you'll be straddling the Austria/Germany border and make several crossings. Budget 7-12 hours if you want to reach the peak from the upper cable car station.

I don't know much about the woods near Vienna, but I should. I will check it out soon.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Case in point:

That guy really worked hard to include every racist caricature he could think of, there's even a Native American (and also an alien and Santa for some reason).

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Gatts posted:

in Europe and Poland

I bet this got a smirk from a few European readers.

Kurtofan posted:

That guy really worked hard to include every racist caricature he could think of, there's even a Native American (and also an alien and Santa for some reason).

The reason was obviously to say "everybody under the sun (and beyond) is immigrating here" instead of "there are too many X immigrating here" where he would target only one race or nationality.

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jan 17, 2014

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Kurtofan posted:

Swiss work-ethic man.

Doctor Malaver posted:

The reason was obviously to say "everybody under the sun (and beyond) is immigrating here" instead of "there are too many X immigrating here" where he would target only one race or nationality.

I know, but having lived in the US my whole life, this is the first place where I've seen major newspapers use the "buck-toothed yellow guy" Chinese caratiture in the 21st century, and refer to Indian people as a whole as "curry-eaters" in conversation. It's just funny, so I thought I'd share it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It's not just a major newspaper, it's the largest political party in Switzerland.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Amaterasu posted:

Yeah, short train ride and bus trip away. The tour is particularly helpful for this because otherwise you are wandering around on your own. For WWII history, you can visit the Eagle's Nest outside of Salzburg. I didn't get to go because the weather wouldn't cooperate.

Amaterasu
Aug 7, 2007
Godless Heathen

DNova posted:

If you want more hiking, maybe go up Untersberg outside of Salzburg (30 minutes or so by bus). You can start at the bottom or take a cable car up 2500 meters or so, and then hike around on fairly rugged trails. No equipment is required but you should be in decent shape and not afraid of heights. Depending on how far you go and what trail you take, you'll be straddling the Austria/Germany border and make several crossings. Budget 7-12 hours if you want to reach the peak from the upper cable car station.

I don't know much about the woods near Vienna, but I should. I will check it out soon.

I'm in decent shape and go to the gym 5x a week but the main problem is where I live is very flat and at sea level. Things were interesting when we went hiking in Monteverde, Costa Rica, which is almost at the same altitude as Denver. I was constantly running out of breathe. We did lots of hiking of course but I felt like I was 70 years old, getting winded from any somewhat steep climb.

I'm also quite afraid of heights so that's probably out.

Anyone been to the Natural History Museum or Zoo in Vienna?

I also love old churches so it looks like I'll have plenty to see on the trip.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
No worries about the hiking, near Salzburg you barely find anything above 2000m, to get to the heights of 3000+ where you get problems breathing etc you need to go way into the central/western Alps. You should be perfectly fine. :)

icecastle
Jun 9, 2008
Does anyone have any advice for Turkey? I'll be in Istanbul for four days in a few months.

smilehigh
Nov 2, 2010

RUUUUUNNNNNNNN

icecastle posted:

Does anyone have any advice for Turkey? I'll be in Istanbul for four days in a few months.

If there are lots of angry, shouting people in Taksim Square, go somewhere else.

Otherwise, the Grand Bazaar and the Spice Markets are awesome. Also, I'd recommend trying a hammam/traditional Turkish bath. The Cembelitas Hammam just next to the Grand Bazaar is really nice and not too expensive.

icecastle
Jun 9, 2008

smilehigh posted:

If there are lots of angry, shouting people in Taksim Square, go somewhere else.

Otherwise, the Grand Bazaar and the Spice Markets are awesome. Also, I'd recommend trying a hammam/traditional Turkish bath. The Cembelitas Hammam just next to the Grand Bazaar is really nice and not too expensive.

Thanks for the recommendations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'd like to go to London. From Germany so it's not a really big trip, just slightly. What kind of hotel can I expect for two persons, seven nights and a hotel budget of around 800 pounds?

As well as that, anything I should make a point of checking out that isn't the obvious tourist attractions? I like British comedy, where do I go with that in mind?

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Depends on when you want to go, but £100 a night, should get you a 4* somewhere in zone 1 like the Millennium Gloucester Hotel, but you can get a good hotel for way less than that. A tip to save you some money: read this

elwood fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 21, 2014

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'd like to go to London. From Germany so it's not a really big trip, just slightly. What kind of hotel can I expect for two persons, seven nights and a hotel budget of around 800 pounds?

As well as that, anything I should make a point of checking out that isn't the obvious tourist attractions? I like British comedy, where do I go with that in mind?

If you're staying for 7 nights an apartment will be a lot nicer than a hotel IMHO. AirBnB has a ton of places in London.

If you just prefer hotels, check out priceline.com and look under the express deal tab. My wife saved about £60/night in a 4 star Marriot in central London through them. It's a funny site because you don't really know exactly which hotel you're booking until you accept the offer but you'll see how many stars, the amenities and the guest rating. So it worked for her and I think it's worth considering in big cities when you're looking for 4 star and up.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
So I've never been overseas and the girlfriend and I just booked a trip to the U.K. in late June. I was hoping for some general recommendations on what to see/do.

We're flying into London and flying out of Dublin 13 days later. We also need to stop in Aberystwyth, Wales to visit her sister. So I'm thinking something like, driving north from London to Wales, staying a few days, driving into northern England for a few days, then onto Scotland for a few days, and finally back to Dublin. Is this a reasonable amount of time to see all three countries or will we feel rushed? I'm cool with spending only a day in each London and Dublin because a city is a city for all intensive purposes. I'd like to see some awesome scenery and go visit some cool little historical towns.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

marsisol posted:

So I've never been overseas and the girlfriend and I just booked a trip to the U.K. in late June. I was hoping for some general recommendations on what to see/do.

We're flying into London and flying out of Dublin 13 days later. We also need to stop in Aberystwyth, Wales to visit her sister. So I'm thinking something like, driving north from London to Wales, staying a few days, driving into northern England for a few days, then onto Scotland for a few days, and finally back to Dublin. Is this a reasonable amount of time to see all three countries or will we feel rushed? I'm cool with spending only a day in each London and Dublin because a city is a city for all intensive purposes. I'd like to see some awesome scenery and go visit some cool little historical towns.

That's a very rushed itinerary, even for me (I am usually ok with fast-pace tourism)

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

quote:

We're flying into London and flying out of Dublin 13 days later. We also need to stop in Aberystwyth, Wales to visit her sister. So I'm thinking something like, driving north from London to Wales, staying a few days, driving into northern England for a few days, then onto Scotland for a few days, and finally back to Dublin. Is this a reasonable amount of time to see all three countries or will we feel rushed?
This is very rushed, and I think you miscounted your countries.

quote:

I'm cool with spending only a day in each London and Dublin because a city is a city for all intensive purposes.
Uuuhh... Are you sure?

quote:

I'd like to see some awesome scenery and go visit some cool little historical towns.
If you're driving from London to Dublin through Wales, scenery is pretty much unavoidable, as are little towns. What in particular are you interested in? Is there are specific kind of scenery you're after that might be specific to one part of the isles? Any aspect or time period of history you're particularly interested in? There's a huge number of historical sites and not very much time, so knowing what you're after would help narrow it down. However, in general https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/ might be quite helpful. Don't worry, many of their sites are outside major population centres, so they wont be the same ones you have back home.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Check out Conwy and Caernarfon (sp?) castles in North Wales. That said you really really should try for more than 1 day in London/Dublin.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Thanks for the replies. How about 2 days in each of London and Wales and skipping Scotland all together? I'd like to check out the Lake District in England too.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
If you look back a few months, there was somebody on here you said he found he was done with London after a day and a half, but I reckon the general consensus would be there's more to it than that. It's a place with over a thousand years of history, and it's now one of the great global cities, you could fill weeks with it.

There's nothing wrong with scheduling just a day or two as a flying visit, just as long as it's because you want other locations to take priority and realise you won't "have done London".

Would you prefer to take a stroll though some countryside and have a pint in a small pub or stroll though a significant museum?

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 23, 2014

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Pablo Bluth posted:

If you look back a few months, there was somebody on here you said he found he was done with London after a day and a half

That was me and I think another guy.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

marsisol posted:

Waci posted:

This is very rushed, and I think you miscounted your countries.
I bet he doesn't consider Wales a country. Poor Welsh.

to the poster: I don't think you'll want to rent a car. Not only does it sound like you'll mostly be going from city to city (in which case trains are easy), but lefthand drive is also somewhat disconcerting and roads in Europe are a LOT narrower than roads in the US. YMMV of course. Just make sure you don't have a car when you're going to London or Dublin. Trains in England are pretty expensive, but renting a car will almost certainly be more inconvenient and expensive, unless your girlfriend's sister is also accompanying you, in which case the car might be a decent idea except for London.

Edit: "For all intents and purposes."

Saladman fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 23, 2014

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Saladman posted:

to the poster: I don't think you'll want to rent a car. Not only does it sound like you'll mostly be going from city to city (in which case trains are easy), but lefthand drive is also somewhat disconcerting and roads in Europe are a LOT narrower than roads in the US. YMMV of course. Just make sure you don't have a car when you're going to London or Dublin. Trains in England are pretty expensive, but renting a car will almost certainly be more inconvenient and expensive, unless your girlfriend's sister is also accompanying you, in which case the car might be a decent idea except for London.

Edit: "For all intents and purposes."
Trains are fine if you want to do a holiday based around jumping between larger urban areas, but less so if you're aiming to see a bit more of the countryside. I wouldn't try doing the Lake District by public transport.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

DNova posted:

That was me and I think another guy.

Probably me! That said, if it's your first trip to Europe I would probably suggest spending more than a day in one of its major centres, for sure.

nozz
Jan 27, 2007

proficient pringle eater

marsisol posted:

Thanks for the replies. How about 2 days in each of London and Wales and skipping Scotland all together? I'd like to check out the Lake District in England too.

For this trip a car might actually be better than a train but I think you can do it either way. It sounds like you want to see quite a bit of countryside. I'm not sure what the best thing to do but maybe this could be it:

3 nights in London - take time to recover from jetlag, don't rent a car during this time, rely solely on public transport

Book a train (up to 12 weeks in advance) to Manchester. Will take just over 2 hours. Rent a car here. Might be best to do this at the airport? It has a rail station.

Spend 9 nights driving around and looking at the countryside in Wales and possibly parts of North West England. If you are staying over in Aberystwyth then you could probably fit up to two other places for accommodation without it being overwhelmingly rushed, though I think just one would be ideal if you stick to North Wales. I spent a weeks holiday in a cottage in Llangollen just fine.

Return the car in Manchester, fly to Dublin. There are also SailRail tickets from anywhere in the UK to Dublin available, though in this case you may want to rethink the car-renting-from-Manchester strategy. The ferry leaves from Holyhead.

2 nights in Dublin

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Hello again everyone, im in Berlin 27 jan-2nd Feb. Anyone got some tips or recommendations for places to stay?

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
Airbnb would be my first thought

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

Saros posted:

Hello again everyone, im in Berlin 27 jan-2nd Feb. Anyone got some tips or recommendations for places to stay?

A goon here suggested PLUS Hostel and Hotel. My wife and I stayed in the Hotel and it did the trick for us. It is really close to the East Side Gallery, which I thought was really neat and some of the old east Berlin hipster/bar scene stuff (which I didn't care for but whatever).

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I stayed in HostelOne80 in Alexanderplatz before moving into my apartment for a semester. It was pretty cool, and Alexanderplatz is pretty well-connected on Berlin's public transport system (The S5, S7 and S75 run from east to west, and the U5 goes way out in the east and the U2 can take you to the Sony Center. The 100 Bus line can get you to Unter den Linden and the Deutsches Historiches Museum and the DDR Museum and the Brandenburger Tor.)

v Yeah, the S5/S7/S75 (which all go the same route from Westkreuz to Ostkreuz) connects with the S1/S2/S25 at Friedrichstraße. Friedrichstraße is pretty great in its own right (there's the Museum Island, and the Berliner Republik bar has a pretty interesting "stock market" gimmick; in the night, if more beers of one kind are bought, then that beer's price rises, and every hour there's a "stock market crash" and all beers are less than 2€ or so. HU is also pretty close by).

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 24, 2014

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I stayed in HostelOne80 in Alexanderplatz before moving into my apartment for a semester. It was pretty cool, and Alexanderplatz is pretty well-connected on Berlin's public transport system (The S5, S7 and S75 run from east to west, and the U5 goes way out in the east and the U2 can take you to the Sony Center.

Important point about picking a place that I learned during the week my wife and I were in Berlin last year. That S1, S2, S25, S5, S7, and S75 series of trains that basically run the same route are critical to picking a good place that is close to the stuff you will want to see. In my opinion, if it isn't near that series of routes, I wouldn't stay there.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Hostel wise, I liked "die fabrik" in Kreuzberg as a base for clubbing.

borodino
Jul 31, 2012
Im between health insurance plans now and wont have coverage when I go to bulgaria next month. Is it true they wont let me in without it? Are those companies that offer temporary international travel health insurance plans legit? Sorry if this is the wrong thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

borodino posted:

Im between health insurance plans now and wont have coverage when I go to bulgaria next month. Is it true they wont let me in without it? Are those companies that offer temporary international travel health insurance plans legit? Sorry if this is the wrong thread.

I can't imagine that is the case unless you are talking about a long-term (6+ month) visa.