Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

Powerfrog posted:

I didn't really have a chance to catch it {AGDQ} live

There was some GOOD stuff during this recent marathon! Some of the must-watches are blindfolded Punch Out/Super Punch Out and the Super Metroid race. Those were all absolutely fantastic. Other good runs were Viewtiful Joe, the Ocarina of Time race, Halo 2, the Mirror's Edge race, and Deus Ex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

http://acidiclactor.tumblr.com/page/2

It's a pretty amateurish job done on what looks like a personal blog, but the mounting wonder as she gets more and more drawn in is great. So is the LP-ish schadenfreude of waiting for her to reach the next high (or low) point.

---

Also: What are some other good commentated speed runs? I love them, but don't know how to find good ones.

Sorites fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 16, 2014

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012

heytallman posted:

There was some GOOD stuff during this recent marathon! Some of the must-watches are blindfolded Punch Out/Super Punch Out and the Super Metroid race. Those were all absolutely fantastic. Other good runs were Viewtiful Joe, the Ocarina of Time race, Halo 2, the Mirror's Edge race, and Deus Ex.

I'm super excited for it, but I'm forcing myself to watch through all of SGDQ first, because I'm weird when it comes to watching things chronologically that really don't require it.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Liar Lyre posted:

Jesus, The End will be the end of me.

My favorite part is after he stomps around for an hour whining "WHAT DO I DOOOO???" he actually gets a codec call explaining exactly what to do...

and he shouts "SUCK MY BALLS!" and skips it. That's the level of idiocy we're dealing with here.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Nidoking posted:

I think the biggest appeal in Kay's series, even more than the success she has with so little outside help, is actually exactly what you're complaining about - the way she takes her time to examine everything and read all the lore, put pieces together, and both figure out what she needs to do and how things work in ways that most people had to hear from someone else. She draws a lot of connections that are probably very interesting to people who haven't read the wiki cover to cover, and she generally puts annotations in the videos if she's spending a lot of time reading or thinking or searching for something that she ends up not finding, so people who aren't interested in that can skip those few minutes. Maybe she didn't do so in the really early videos while she was learning the controls.

Then it turns out it was all staged and an experiment to see how people would react to a Blind Dark Souls LP done well.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

ninjahedgehog posted:

My favorite part is after he stomps around for an hour whining "WHAT DO I DOOOO???" he actually gets a codec call explaining exactly what to do...

and he shouts "SUCK MY BALLS!" and skips it. That's the level of idiocy we're dealing with here.

I don't want to clog this thread with my impotent fury at DSP, but The Fury fight. Again, I haven't played MGS3 but this looks like DSP's kind of boss. No real nuance, just dodge and shoot mostly. And some how he manages to take hours trying to beat him. I had to take a break from the video. It was exhausting to watch.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
On the subject of AGDQ, there was a fantastic Yoshi's Cookie segment during the bonus stream a few days ago, featuring forums user medibot. You should probably check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jan9HPsxeII&t=534s

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Wind God Sety posted:

On the subject of AGDQ, there was a fantastic Yoshi's Cookie segment during the bonus stream a few days ago, featuring forums user medibot. You should probably check it out.

That loving hat :allears:

Sorites fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 16, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I don't mean to bring this topic back to "DSPchat", but I found this video that might explain why he is the way he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is_LvsdmtOk&t=118s
Start at 1:58.

It's Bully, the game where you play as a mean kid at a boarding school. One segment has you quizzed on European geography. First up for DSP - the UK.

Can he locate it? :allears:

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Mortimer posted:

I don't mean to bring this topic back to "DSPchat", but I found this video that might explain why he is the way he is.

It's Bully, the game where you play as a mean kid at a boarding school. One segment has you quizzed on European geography. First up for DSP - the UK.

The funny thing is, he got it right a bunch of times...but couldn't figure out that you needed to drop the flag on the red X.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
To be perfectly honest, I didn't know which of the three (Norway, Sweden, Finland) was which either :eng99:

But goddamn, "How the gently caress would I know Europe? I live in North America you rear end in a top hat."

E: at least he knew where France and Germany were.

GeneralYeti fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 16, 2014

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

GeneralYeti posted:

To be perfectly honest, I didn't know which of the three (Norway, Sweden, Finland) was which either :eng99:

But goddamn, "How the gently caress would I know Europe? I live in North America you rear end in a top hat."

To be fair, I learned more about European geography playing Crusader Kings than I have in 18 years of school so far.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Mortimer posted:

Holy poo poo, that segment at the end. :bang:

What's fastest? A sloth, the Golden Gate Bridge or a British phone booth?

DSP: *Selects the BRIDGE*

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013

Mortimer posted:

Oh dear. 10 seconds, and it made me :cripes:

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

GeneralYeti posted:

But, did you know that the UK is not Spain? Because that was his first guess.

dizaero
Jan 30, 2012

CORRECT ANSWER
YUO ARE SMART

Wind God Sety posted:

This is best thing I've seen in awhile.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

http://www.twitch.tv/GYCL

This is now the official Yoshi's Cookie channel (and medibot's streaming right now)

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

Amppelix posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/GYCL

This is now the official Yoshi's Cookie channel (and medibot's streaming right now)

This is the greatest thing I have ever seen. Stay classy Medibot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

GeneralYeti posted:

I don't think you can credit him about France when the map has a big old Eiffel Tower on it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Gaz-L posted:

I don't think you can credit him about France when the map has a big old Eiffel Tower on it.

My favourite part about that is the first thing he said relating to it was something about looking for the flag of Paris.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Dragonatrix posted:

My favourite part about that is the first thing he said relating to it was something about looking for the flag of Paris.

Funny story...

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

MooCowlian posted:

When he says 8 hour DSP montage, I think this is the one, assuming there aren't multiple such things.

Youtube Comment posted:

you have absolutely no life making this video. you're so concerned about someone that plays video games for fun on youtube, that you have to make a 8 hour video of them failing missions? get off your rear end and get a job. you are what's wrong with the world. you probably can't get a job because you're a little dumb poo poo child. get a life, grow up, and do something more productive with your useless life.

So goddamned mad.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

ReturnOfFable posted:

This is the greatest thing I have ever seen. Stay classy Medibot.

support esports and the GYCL North American Eastern Winter Conference Open Championships.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Roar posted:

So goddamned mad.

Clearly that person doesn't understand that the player wasn't having any fun or that he pumps these out constantly for money. :bang:

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Wind God Sety posted:

Holy poo poo, this was amazing. Medibot's ability to bullshit is only bested by his devotion to pro YoCo e-sports. It's beautiful to experience.

Mr Muggy
Mar 30, 2010

I'm just gonna do this for about two minutes, okay?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V6u_Lut88w

DarkSyde Parental Advice. It's just another piece of evidence that makes you wonder how the gently caress people can support this dude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9TQoG_RSmQ

And now for something positive, from the AGDQ stream, the Goldeneye co-op single player is loving mindblowing.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Mr Muggy posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V6u_Lut88w

DarkSyde Parental Advice. It's just another piece of evidence that makes you wonder how the gently caress people can support this dude.

Holy gently caress how can someone be THIS big a manchild to still be whining about not getting a toy soon enough as a kid when he's in his 30s? How can you possibly be THIS disconnected with reality?

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Wind God Sety posted:

I find it incomprehensible how adorable medibot is in all appearances.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
I could've sworn DSP said "I don't know what the United Kingdom is" instead of "I don't know where the United Kingdom is". Even he can't be that dumb, right?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Princess Sheepy posted:

I could've sworn DSP said "I don't know what the United Kingdom is" instead of "I don't know where the United Kingdom is". Even he can't be that dumb, right?

When I was in retail... Someone asked what the UK in a shoe's tongue meant. I can't even make this poo poo up. I said "Oh that's what this shoe's size would be considered in the United Kingdom." She looked confused and said "Is that like the United States." I couldn't say a loving word otherwise I would have just laughed in her face. Still not sure how I got out of that one.

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

Zain posted:

When I was in retail... Someone asked what the UK in a shoe's tongue meant. I can't even make this poo poo up. I said "Oh that's what this shoe's size would be considered in the United Kingdom." She looked confused and said "Is that like the United States." I couldn't say a loving word otherwise I would have just laughed in her face. Still not sure how I got out of that one.

I'm pretty sure that person is still standing there to this day trying to get that answer.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Wind God Sety posted:

I'm reminded of the nail-biting GYCL Eastern Conference Finals from a couple of years ago.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Princess Sheepy posted:

To be fair, a lot of people don't know what the United Kingdom is.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Wind God Sety posted:

Dear god, this is amazing.

I've owned Yoshi's Cookie for ages, but I never had anyone to play the versus mode with. It looks and sounds absolutely glorious with two people who know what they're doing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

gatz posted:

No, because, remember, we're talking about experiencing something new. Clearly, that can be done by watching/reading a let's play of a game you haven't played. If planescape: torment is considered to be one of the best written video games, there's not much of a difference between reading an LP of it compared to reading a well written fantasy novel.

On another level, you can experience something new even if you have already played the game, under the right conditions. Girgast is a game developer, and he supposedly dissects Cold Fear in his LP of it (word of mouth from Lazyfire since I haven't watched it).

Not necessarily. Half the reason I like LP is to experience games I've never have, and probably never will play. That's a good thing certainly. But the other half of the reason is because it allows me to see how other people experience games I've already played.

There was a way I heard it put, I think it was something like 'passive multiplayer' or something? The idea that you can take a singleplayer game, but let's playing it allows it to take on a multiplayer component, it's interesting to see the experience from someone else's perspective. Playing games multiplayer can be a lot of fun, and that passive multiplayer aspect to LP is a strong part of it.

It can make a game more fun if you play it, enjoy it, and then see how someone else plays it and enjoys it.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Slowbeef how much ahead are you video wise in your dark souls playthrough? It's kind of amusing to see how you miss the progression path. It's not 100% obvious though at first glance!

PS you can parry Havels attacks with anything, even your bare hands!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm not sure if it's placebo, but I've always felt that you have a larger time window to parry when you are unarmed.

e: VVV - good to have confirmation on that.

It definitely makes you more bad-rear end, that's a fact.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 16, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Aurain posted:

I'm not sure if it's placebo, but I've always felt that you have a larger time window to parry when you are unarmed.

According to the wikidot, that's not true and unarmed parries have the same parry window as everything except the special parrying items.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Wind God Sety posted:

I completely don't understand why this is one of the great segments of the bonus stream. I feel like there's something I'm not getting because all I'm seeing is two people playing a puzzle game.

V V

Yeah, you're right. This is what I get for leaving the footage on while playing some other game that was totally drowning out the audio because his commentary is magical.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I completely don't understand why this is one of the great segments of the bonus stream. I feel like there's something I'm not getting because all I'm seeing is two people playing a puzzle game.

A big part of what makes it great is that one of those two people is Medibot. :allears:

I don't think I've seen someone bullshit like that in a long time.

• Locked thread