Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

i wish i could have that as my av

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

It can be unfair, but this is going to be a situation where whatever was called will be correct because of that referee's interpretation of what 'participating in play' is. If I'm the assistant in this situation, I'm not putting my flag up. Higuain doesn't move toward the ball before the defender deflects it. For all we know, he could have stood still and declared himself out of the play when the ball came nearer. I've seen it done where you have a striker in an offside position have the ball played to him, make no move toward the ball, and when the defense stops, another (onside) attacker runs on to the ball and takes a shot.

I recall something similar happening against Arsenal a couple seasons ago. I forget who against, but a striker was offside a couple yards behind Koscielny, the ball was played through around shoulder height, Kosc didn't know the striker was offside so he stuck his boot up to intercept the ball, it deflected behind him and the striker ran clear through on goal. Koscielny wouldn't have stuck his boot up to stop the ball if not for the striker, but the goal was allowed since the ref saw it as Koscielny playing the ball.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Andre Schurrle and Demba Ba hosted NBA star Kevin Garnett of the Brooklyn Nets this past Thursday.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Those guys are all photoshopped into the pictures right?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ord-Bridge.html

They aren't.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

That's clearly a photoshop, a CL trophy at Stamford Bridge is just silly.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

He's my favorite player :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DooYpt9Gu1s

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Esposito posted:

Isn't this a little unfair? Surely the offside player is influencing the game if he's forced a defender into cutting out the pass.

The law is actually quite strict on what constitutes an offense, and it's much narrower than what most people believe:

quote:

“interfering with play” means playing or touching the ball passed or
touched by a team-mate

“interfering with an opponent” means preventing an opponent from
playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s
line of vision or challenging an opponent for the ball

“gaining an advantage by being in that position” means playing a ball
i. that rebounds or is deflected to him off the goalpost, crossbar or an
opponent having been in an offside position
ii. that rebounds, is deflected or is played to him from a deliberate save
by an opponent having been in an offside position

A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent, who
deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save), is not considered
to have gained an advantage.

Higuain clearly does none of these things, there can really be no argument that the call here was correct.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ2976_rR_s
The 80's condensed in a single video.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Lamont Cranston posted:

The law is actually quite strict on what constitutes an offense, and it's much narrower than what most people believe:

Higuain clearly does none of these things, there can really be no argument that the call here was correct.

I guess the argument would be, theoretically, that Higuain was "challenging for the ball", but yeah, that call was clearly correct and more importantly I hate defenders who don't play to the whistle so he can go gently caress himself anyway

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

Lamont Cranston posted:

Am I mistaken or are you not quoting LOAF? From FIFA, offside just involves interfering with the play or gaining an advantage, and it doesn't narrow down any further:

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/footballdevelopment/refereeing/81/42/36/log2013en%5fneutral.pdf

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Shoren posted:

I recall something similar happening against Arsenal a couple seasons ago. I forget who against, but a striker was offside a couple yards behind Koscielny, the ball was played through around shoulder height, Kosc didn't know the striker was offside so he stuck his boot up to intercept the ball, it deflected behind him and the striker ran clear through on goal. Koscielny wouldn't have stuck his boot up to stop the ball if not for the striker, but the goal was allowed since the ref saw it as Koscielny playing the ball.

Against Everton, yeah. Osman (I think) played a ball in to Saha who was offside behind Koscielny, who later scored the match winning goal.

The funny bit was that Arshavins equalizer came from an almost identical situation, except that he wasn't offside when the ball was played in but it still took a deflection off an Everton defender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP5hJM7wTR8

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

s0meb0dy0 posted:

Am I mistaken or are you not quoting LOAF? From FIFA, offside just involves interfering with the play or gaining an advantage, and it doesn't narrow down any further:

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/footballdevelopment/refereeing/81/42/36/log2013en%5fneutral.pdf

It's under Definitions on p108.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
What was the game where Muller pretty clearly shoulder barged someone off the ball/obstructed them, allowing Robben to run in and score. Then in the celebration Muller ran up and pretended to shoulder barge Robben?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Eau de MacGowan posted:

What was the game where Muller pretty clearly shoulder barged someone off the ball/obstructed them, allowing Robben to run in and score. Then in the celebration Muller ran up and pretended to shoulder barge Robben?
Bayern 4 Barca 0, Champs League semi final first leg.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
However it was known oval office and tremendous shitlord Jordi Alba, so it was okay and cool.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
it was hilarious, Muller owns

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Dunban posted:

However it was known oval office and tremendous shitlord Jordi Alba, so it was okay and cool.

And a tremendous example of why you should play to the whistle.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Eau de MacGowan posted:

(this got Alba suspended for the 2nd leg)

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Alba went flying down like a sack of poo poo, embarrassing really.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

:laugh:

euroboy posted:

Alba went flying down like a sack of poo poo, embarrassing really.

It's the Barca way.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

hecko posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ2976_rR_s
The 80's condensed in a single video.

I love this video.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

Probably my favourite non Arsenal player. Miles above Messi and co. in terms of what I personally like to watch.

Adulterous Hitler posted:

And this was one of my favourite matches ever. Glorious.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I hate Arjen "Cuntface" Robben. I'm still fuming that he, for once, didn't bottle it last year. It must be said.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Adulterous Hitler posted:

Muller is the best player on the planet

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Ancelotti seems like he'd be a great manager to play under. Is that the conventional wisdom? He seems to have no issue stepping into big clubs and doing well.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Xabi posted:

I hate Arjen "Cuntface" Robben. I'm still fuming that he, for once, didn't bottle it last year. It must be said.

I spent like two weeks prior ensuring everyone I knew robben would bottle it too

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I unironically love Arjen Robben :colbert:

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Modus Trollens posted:

I spent like two weeks prior ensuring everyone I knew robben would bottle it too
You and me both. 10-15 years of evidence told me that would be the case. But the universe is a strange place, and even scientists struggle to fully understand it.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Robben was a pretty massive bellend when he was in secondary school here.

Great player though.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Eboracum posted:

And this was one of my favourite matches ever. Glorious.

It was a really good match OP. The Muller pick was great too. Muller is really good. Only qualms with Robben is the whole "cut in and shoot, avoid using right foot" thing.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

TheBigAristotle posted:

Same gently caress the haterz~

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

TheBigAristotle posted:

Yup. You have to be real dumb to think he is bad at football because he does the same thing over and over a lot. (that he is actually really good at)

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

Soulex posted:

It was a really good match OP. The Muller pick was great too. Muller is really good. Only qualms with Robben is the whole "cut in and shoot, avoid using right foot" thing.

Have you seen him try to do anything with his right foot? It's hilarious how bad he is with his other foot.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

oh em gee bee ess posted:

Have you seen him try to do anything with his right foot? It's hilarious how bad he is with his other foot.

Still 1000x better than Valencia with his weak foot

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Here's some content:

FIFpro's European XI 2001-2013

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Not sure if I think the 2003 or the 2004 team is the best of them all.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

euroboy posted:

Not sure if I think the 2003 or the 2004 team is the best of them all.

I gave up because I couldn't decide but 03 beats 04 for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Remember Maniche? what were that all about

• Locked thread