Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

nsaP posted:

Didn't his PO make a mistake of some sort with the chain? All I mean is partly unlucky but also human error.

No the previous owner did an immaculate job and Coydog just peed on the chain every morning before riding.

Yeah I hosed up riveting the master link and had too many links on the chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

BlackMK4 posted:

You know what's worse than quitting cigarettes?

The first time I went on a long ride after quitting smoking was both funny and a little depressing. I kept pulling off at my normal spots where I'd stop for a smoke, and when I realized what I was doing as I was taking my helmet off I'd have to ask myself "what now?". Inevitably I'd just buckle back up and keep riding. Makes the ride to Prescott a whole lot shorter.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Coredump posted:

No the previous owner did an immaculate job and Coydog just peed on the chain every morning before riding.

Yeah I hosed up riveting the master link and had too many links on the chain.

I feel ya, I got a clip link chain so I wouldn't have to worry about a rivet link and then I bent the clip and had to buy another link :downs:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Friend on mine put the clip on backwards. Was hilarious watching that chain roll off the countershaft and just lay in the street. Luckily he had a spare.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Coredump posted:

Wait, urine isn't the correct lubricant? I thought that's why so many riders were men. That it was a convenience thing. Well, shoot...

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Coydog posted:

Wait, urine isn't the correct lubricant? I thought that's why so many riders were men. That it was a convenience thing. Well, shoot...

No, no, it's good for curing athlete's foot. That's why you pee in your boots before setting off.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

When I replaced my chain the clip got stuck in the little bag with the chain grease and I didn't notice it. The instructions had directions for both clip and rivet master links. I spent a good 30 minutes trying to figure out how to peen my master link when it didn't have any indentations for it until in my exasperation I started throwing the packaging around and found the clip. :doh:

This is, unfortunately, pretty much how every bit of maintenance or home improvement job goes for me.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Safety Dance posted:

Snapping a chain is really quite rare. I think you just got (un)lucky.

That reminds me, bring a spare belt for your 1000 mile run. There's enough time to fix a broken belt and still do it in 24 hours. I did an unhurried belt install, breakfast, and 550 miles including a 20 mile backtrack for a jerry can of gas in 11 hours last June.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

clutchpuck posted:

That reminds me, bring a spare belt for your 1000 mile run. There's enough time to fix a broken belt and still do it in 24 hours. I did an unhurried belt install, breakfast, and 550 miles including a 20 mile backtrack for a jerry can of gas in 11 hours last June.

That's part of the plan. What do you think, pop the new belt on when I get it and keep the 30Kmile belt as a spare, or vice versa?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Snowdens Secret posted:

No, no, it's good for curing athlete's foot. That's why you pee in your boots before setting off.

Pissing in your boots is actually A Thing to prevent blisters. Empty them out before putting them on, though.

Speaking of boots, wearing steel toecap workboots instead of proper bike boots has worked out two nights in a row for me.

Last night, sitting in heavy traffic behind a car, because there's literally no space to filter past it (six inches between it and a bus on the right, probably less between it and the kerb on the right). Just past the car the road widens out to the left so I was just waiting for the car to move forward a bit so I could grab the space to the left or head around him if he moved left, and one of those dumb Piaggio three-wheeled scooters comes up to my right and sits behind me, then proceeds to creep forwards while the idiot riding it checks his phone (!), until he runs over my right foot. I think I shouted something witty like "You're on my loving foot" and he just looked at me funny then moved forward a bit more, knocking my mirror with his. The car in front moved and he shot forward into the non-gap between it and the bus, hitting both with his mirrors. I just rode off into the gap at the left. Twat.

The night before as I pulled away from some lights I kicked what felt like a pretty hefty brick with my foot as I lifted it up, whatever it was it didn't move at all. No idea what it actually was - I certainly didn't see it as I pulled up.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Safety Dance posted:

That's part of the plan. What do you think, pop the new belt on when I get it and keep the 30Kmile belt as a spare, or vice versa?

Judgement call. Inspect the old belt, look for cracks or gouges. I went with the old one on my trip but that was based on having roadside assistance, a spare, and the tools to install it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Last night, sitting in heavy traffic behind a car, because there's literally no space to filter past it (six inches between it and a bus on the right, probably less between it and the kerb on the right). Just past the car the road widens out to the left so I was just waiting for the car to move forward a bit so I could grab the space to the left or head around him if he moved left, and one of those dumb Piaggio three-wheeled scooters comes up to my right and sits behind me, then proceeds to creep forwards while the idiot riding it checks his phone (!), until he runs over my right foot. I think I shouted something witty like "You're on my loving foot" and he just looked at me funny then moved forward a bit more, knocking my mirror with his. The car in front moved and he shot forward into the non-gap between it and the bus, hitting both with his mirrors. I just rode off into the gap at the left.

What in the gently caress. Who gets that close to someone else on a bike? This whole scenario...I don't even know where to begin :psyduck:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

What in the gently caress. Who gets that close to someone else on a bike? This whole scenario...I don't even know where to begin :psyduck:

You mean you've never rolled up next to a friend and flipped his kill switch? :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Never done it. Best I've done was roll up next to my only mate who rides and switch off his indicator that was on for a kilometre and driving me crazy.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Welcome to commuting in London traffic.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Linedance posted:

Welcome to commuting in London traffic.

Pulling off with 20 other bikes 3-abreast with two dozen cyclists in front of you is always a drat good test of your spatial awareness.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Reading that, all I could think is reaching over and giving them a good shove before riding off. Run over your foot and not care AND hit your bike with the mirrors? The mentality is worse than the actions.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

BlackMK4 posted:

You mean you've never rolled up next to a friend and flipped his kill switch? :v:

The most hilarious timing is right before the light turns green.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

clutchpuck posted:

The most hilarious timing is right before the light turns green.

Hahaha, when I had my first ever bike my friend used to do this poo poo all the time. I drilled a hole through the switch and stuck a paperclip through the hole so the switch wouldn't flip.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Reading that, all I could think is reaching over and giving them a good shove before riding off. Run over your foot and not care AND hit your bike with the mirrors? The mentality is worse than the actions.

It was one of those MP3s, pushing him wouldn't have done any good, even if he wasn't effectively wedged upright between the vehicles ahead. Besides, there was a gap and chasing him would have lost me that. The gap is paramount in commuting. Nothing exists but the gap.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
I just watched the place beyond the pines and I know I shouldn't be surprised but the sound work constantly drove me nuts. As far as I can tell the bike is a DRZ (for the most part, possibly something else?) and in typical fashion it sounds at different points like a four stroke dirtbike (riding around town), two stroke (running from cops, riding in the woods), and some sort of sportbike.

I totally get that to the general public all bikes are two strokes, sport bikes, or harleys which is why I wasn't too bothered by the DRZ in Sherlock but they can't at least keep it consistent in one scene? I'd have hoped for more from a movie where the bike is so prominently featured.

(Also a million gear changes, tires screeching on dirt, etc)

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Everyone should just get whoever does the KTM commercials to do any and all bike scenes.

Content: I am really frustrated with myself for dropping my bike so often. By my count, couple mph or stopped, I've dropped the bike 5 times since the beginning of October. Seems like most people only drop twice. Of course, right after I get the shiny yoshimura installed this weekend, I slip the 5th time this morning. Forgot my entrance is always slippery and the tires are ice cold. OF COURSE it falls on the right side and scrapes the rivets/end of the exhaust.

I'm glad I got a solid used bike to do all this on, but it just sucks to be an above average klutz with this. my bike deserves better. Didn't seem like coredump ever dropped it. This is all avoidable stuff mostly.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Quit tensing up and doing poo poo when it slips. The bike will ride out massive slides unless you provide input.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Coydog posted:

Everyone should just get whoever does the KTM commercials to do any and all bike scenes.

Content: I am really frustrated with myself for dropping my bike so often. By my count, couple mph or stopped, I've dropped the bike 5 times since the beginning of October. Seems like most people only drop twice. Of course, right after I get the shiny yoshimura installed this weekend, I slip the 5th time this morning. Forgot my entrance is always slippery and the tires are ice cold. OF COURSE it falls on the right side and scrapes the rivets/end of the exhaust.

I'm glad I got a solid used bike to do all this on, but it just sucks to be an above average klutz with this. my bike deserves better. Didn't seem like coredump ever dropped it. This is all avoidable stuff mostly.

This is going to sound weird but you're probably putting down your foot too early. You try and get your foot down before the bike has stopped, it moves your foot a few inches back and all of the sudden your hips are in front of your toes and you have effectively zero leverage, and then it's really easy to drop the bike.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I dropped my bike while standing still/moving it with my legs a buncha times in my first months too, at the beginning I had a really hard time controlling it when I wasn't actually riding cause I'm fuckin tiny. Plus there was the time I rode into some sand and fell over cause, lol what is this off-road you speak of?

Anyways that's normal, some people take time to get used to sitting on a 350+lb object that likes to tip to the sides. I beat myself up over it a looooong time, cause I kept thinking about how preventable it all was, and my fairings look like poo poo now but that's how you learn. And boy did I learn a lot :allears:

That reminds me, this dude I had classes in college with preemptively bought a new ninja 250 like a week ago. His msf is in march and he's not getting it delivered till then, but I feel bad - if he drops it, he's gonna poo poo pinecones in anger for weeks. Hell, I did the same, and mine's a beat up lil pregen.

M42 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 25, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

M42 posted:

gonna drop it and poo poo pinecones in anger for weeks.

Now every time someone asks me why they should buy a used bike I'm going to use this phrase, it's so fitting.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
While you both have great advise I'm definitely going to remember and take to heart, I have to disappoint. This morning was the fault of my planning to rolls stop at the exit of the complex, and having a car come by out of a blind spot last second. So I was going 3 mph and gave the front a light push to come to a full stop instead. I didn't grab a bunch, just what would normally take to come to a light stop, but the front washed out and I was on the ground before I could blink. If I had planned to come to a full stop and used more rear brake I would have probably been OK. It was below freezing, and that area is always damp, but its gotta be my fault.

Then there was that time I forgot it couldn't stand on it's own and rolled it forward off the kickstand while focused on the rear wheel.

And the time I pulled off the road in the dark to help a stranded motorist, put both feet down, then felt nothing on the right side because there was a dip in the road I didn't see before. Went down.
(almost made this same snafu yesterday, but saved it.)

So really it's just being tired or distracted or dumb. Mostly that last one. I'm actually pretty decent on not putting my feet down early. I try to see how long I can go feet up when coming up to a light and stopping. About half the time I never have to put my feet down as long as I am creative.

I also have a lot to learn about how much of front or rear to use in what situation. I do pay dearly for my mistakes, though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I need to stop posting when I'm so tired I can't even talk in real life. I just had my new tires mounted and I put the wheels back on but I know I am too mentally tired to ride.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

I need to stop posting when I'm so tired I can't even talk in real life. I just had my new tires mounted and I put the wheels back on but I know I am too mentally tired to ride.

Well, make sure you double check everything before you take off.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Hah, those are on the same level as mine. Time to commiserate! First time, like a week after I got the bike, I pulled a slow speed uie on a narrow street without accounting for the crown of the road, moved way faster than I wanted cause of downward angle, braked to avoid a parked car and stopped while leaned over. Down I went, broke the turn signal. Replaced the signal, and literally the next day I parked my bike with the kickstand not fully extended and it tipped over and broke the brand new signal. Then there was the time I parked in the wrongest way possible, pointing downhill with the kickstand on the uphill side, and the bike tipped over immediately. In front of a store full of people watching, too. I don't park like a dumbass anymore. There was also a bunch of times I just barely saved it from falling because I stopped where the road was tilted in all sorts of interesting directions. Really need to stop skipping leg day.

I almost made it on my little offroad excursion too, but the front washed out, scratched the gently caress out of the entire left side and broke the turn signal again. That time, I couldn't find any parts on CL, so I built a complete signal out the leftover parts of the other two. :sun:

For the brake thing, find a parking lot and do a ton of braking practice.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

It's also good practice to spend some time moving your bike while it's not running. Both on and off the bike. Walk it around, make 10-point turns, that sort of thing. With the exception of a curb more than 7" or going up hill, I've gotten pretty good at walking my bike all over without dropping it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Coydog posted:

You keep dropping the bike because your limbs are shutting down due to hypothermia. You're still riding and its colder than gently caress down here you crazy crazy man, so let that be solace because if I still had the bike it would have been in the garage for a couple months by now.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I'm not really complaining, but it's 9 deg. F right now. I miss riding a lot. After shoveling snow this morning I sat on my bike in the garage. :smith:

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

MoraleHazard posted:

I'm not really complaining, but it's 9 deg. F right now. I miss riding a lot. After shoveling snow this morning I sat on my bike in the garage. :smith:
I find that inventing a reason to perform maintenance helps a lot, assuming you've got the space to do it. Can't ride for a month? Let's repack those head bearings 5000 miles early!
(This was also motivated in that my sister-in-law got me a bearing packer for christmas.)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gently caress me, third day of pissing rain in a row...in the middle of bloody summer. loving Auckland. God forbid I want to ride my non-lovely bike to work or something.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Slavvy posted:

gently caress me, third day of pissing rain in a row...in the middle of bloody summer. loving Auckland. God forbid I want to ride my non-lovely bike to work or something.

I heard this post in your avatar's voice.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It is snowing for the 800th day in a row here. Shut up and drive in the rain :mad:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
It has gotten to where I don't even notice the new snow falling, it's so far above the ceilings of the tunnels I've dug within the old snow, so I can visit the ruins of a town that functioned before eternal everwinter

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Snowdens Secret posted:

It has gotten to where I don't even notice the new snow falling, it's so far above the ceilings of the tunnels I've dug within the old snow, so I can visit the ruins of a town that functioned before eternal everwinter

Where's that from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I just made it up, man