Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

KetTarma posted:

I've made about $7 from display ads and $0.24 from affiliate links this month. I guess that covers my maintenance fees.

Someone told me last night "Your front end is horrible and your site takes too long to load from all the poo poo you have running"

I rearranged things a little and removed some widgets. I'm kind of clueless on styles and just picked what I thought was a pretty premium wordpress theme.

Every post has a short bio of the author (I am the only one though) so I have that covered. I switched to my personal twitter account for linking per someone's advice.

I'll look into the OptinSkin and try to get that set up the next time I go to make major changes. I think I know how to set up a featured articles scrollbar on the side. Should I change the theme or layout or anything while I'm at it?
Here's my site: https://www.wirebiters.com

I'm a little worried that I wasted money on a bad theme based on what that guy said.

1. You have way too many social links up top. MySpace, really? Facebook, Twitter, G+, and RSS Feed are all I think you need. I'm not a big user of Pinterest but all I've seen of it is moms pinning recipes and DIY home stuff. It's popular so that, too, but I don't know if your target audience would be using it.

2. The title is okay for now but if this becomes somewhat successful pay someone $20-40 for a logo. Just a text title is boring and doesn't grab new readers.

3. Why is that black rectangle there? Your categories should be there to make it easy for readers to quickly jump to what they are interested in. Also an About Us page. Contact Us page if you want one. If you can change the colors consider having black text on white background if the white text on black background looks out of place.

4. You have two "featured" areas that are on top of each other. They are showing different things but it's too much. Drop the bottom one.

5. Right menu bar. Drop Archives to the bottom. Have a newsletter sub button at the top. Open a MailChimp account. It's free for the first 2000 subscribers. Get rid of the tags showing on the frontpage. Whatever SEO plug-in you have should let you tag individual posts. Have a list of keywords on your frontpage screams Geocities to me. With how Google works nowadays it actually hurts your ranking.

6. The Latest Posts is good. Maybe try to see how it looks with the snippets at 50 words instead of the 25-30 that it's at now. If it makes the front page posts to big then change back.

7. Footer! Holy poo poo, way too big. Get rid of Categories, Recent Posts, and Featured Posts. It's taking up too too much space where all of those things are already up above and presented better there. Have your privacy Policy and About Us down there. Contact Us, too, if you have one. Archives is fine down there.

How much did you pay for the theme if you mind me asking? How configurable is it? How many plug-ins do you have running? What are they? I find when people start blogging they can get a plug-in happy. When I started I had over 20 because everything looked so cool and would make my blog work so much better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

KetTarma posted:

Here's my site: https://www.wirebiters.com
I'm a little worried that I wasted money on a bad theme based on what that guy said.
I don't think that's terrible at all.
* The tags in black really stand out - too much so compared to the articles. I don't think that's where you want the reader to focus. Move it, change the color so it's less prominent, or drop it altogether.

* Have a look at some resources around headlines (Copyblogger, etc) and work on your headlines. "5 Reasons You Should Switch to LED Lamps" is better than "Why should I switch to LED or fluorescent lights?"

* Get a better profile picture. One where you don't look like you loving HATE having your picture taken, and you're just counting the seconds until the deed is done and you can get on with your life.

* The black bar below Wirebiters and above the story dialog needs to go.

* Fiverr yourself a bitchin logo in place of the text title.

* Too many social buttons at the top. There's no way you're maintaining all of those regularly - especially if it's just you. Twitter, Facebook, G+, Pinterest, RSS, YouTube (If you've got a decent camera to use, a decent Lavalier mic, etc. - I think your subject matter would lend itself really well to doing video (which is an additional revenue stream), if you're willing to put in the effort to learn how to make GOOD videos)

* Categorize all your posts. "Uncategorized" will never, ever be clicked, and I think it makes blog authors look a little lazy - but that's just me. "Uncategorized" is fine for a personal blog, though.

* Finding your voice: This is something you'll pick up as you write more, but for now, I'd recommend that you go back through what you have after it's been published (or let it sit in Drafts) and you haven't looked at it for a few days, and look again to see what you can cut, and where you could expand more. Here's an easy example:

The Lead - As Written posted:

In an earlier post, I mentioned how I save electricity by reducing the phantom loads (also called vampire loads) in my house. Someone almost immediately messaged me asking what that meant. Since it’s an interesting question to answer, I decided to to make it my next topic. Plus, I’ll talk about how to reduce your electricity bill as a bonus.

The Tight Lead posted:

After my post on Phantom/Vampire Loads, I got a message asking what in the world I was talking about. Right. Let's talk about what they are, why they're costing you money every single month, and how to put a stake in them!

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 16, 2014

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

jabro posted:

[*]Right menu bar. Have a newsletter sub button at the top. Open a MailChimp account. It's free for the first 2000 subscribers.

How much did you pay for the theme if you mind me asking? How configurable is it? How many plug-ins do you have running? What are they? I find when people start blogging they can get a plug-in happy. When I started I had over 20 because everything looked so cool and would make my blog work so much better!

I'm using this theme which was 45$.

I was kind of afraid to go diving into the php files to try to disable the social media stuff. I disabled everything I'm not using. I'm going to make a github account (people still use that, right?) and g+ account (is that worth the effort?). I just dont have any code that's really notable other than C++ schoolwork. I have some VHDL that's kind of neat and am learning assembly right now so I'll have some of that eventually.

I cant delete the Uncategorized category without messing up my theme. I can, however, change it to Announcements which sounds better.

I have a youtube channel but I havent done a very good job of setting it up. My camera gear is... my cellphone. It's not very good. I used to teach so I know I can at least present topics well. I just need something better than aiming my cellphone at what Im doing.

I decided to just drop the tags. I'm not entirely sure what they're there for anyway.

I'm going to hire a graphic designer I know to make a logo eventually. I just have no clue what to go for.

Plugin-wise:
All in one Rich Snippets
Google Analytics
Google XML Sitemaps
Jetpack
Symple Shortcodes
Pinterest Automatic
Wordpress SEO

Edit: I already had a mail plugin installed (Jetpack does everything)

KetTarma fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 16, 2014

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Embedded responses.

KetTarma posted:

...G+ account (is that worth the effort?).

Yes. Everything that Google has done with G+ over the last two years points to a long term goal of G+ being Google in the future, and there's no making GBS threads way people are going to turn to Facebook for their email, online document repository, Silly Cat Videos and web search. You'll encounter the same difficulties on Plus that you'll find with Facebook regarding pages and garnering Likes/+1's, etc., with the exception that Facebook is a closed ecosystem of ~1 billion people, while Google's ecosystem is 500 million (300m 30day active, so, roughly 1/3 the size of FB) _PLUS EVERYONE WHO SEARCHES WITH GOOGLE. That's a drat hard resource to ignore when it comes to thinking in the long term.

I cant delete the Uncategorized category without messing up my theme. I can, however, change it to Announcements which sounds better.
I didn't click the link to verify, but what happens if you don't have a single Uncategorized post? Does that category disappear?

I have a youtube channel but I haven't done a very good job of setting it up. My camera gear is... my cellphone. It's not very good. I used to teach so I know I can at least present topics well. I just need something better than aiming my cellphone at what I'm doing.
I've seen some really good videos done with a "top tier 2012" phone (Galaxy S3, HTC One, iPhone 5), a decent tripod, and a lavalier mic. Cellphone pictures and video have come a LONG way in the last few years - it's the audio that usually needs the most help.

I'm going to hire a graphic designer I know to make a logo eventually. I just have no clue what to go for.
That's the beauty of Fiverr. It's cheap enough that you can hire 5 people to present you 3-5 roughed in ideas (each) for the cost of a Large Pizza and some beer. Then pick the one you like best, and either have the same artist do a full treatment, or take the rough ins you like to your local person as a starting point for them to do the final work.
Hope that helps!

Had a look just now at what you've done.
I like it a lot! It's MUCH cleaner looking and way less busy than it was. EXCELLENT JOB! :D

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 16, 2014

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

KetTarma posted:

I'm using this theme which was 45$.

I was kind of afraid to go diving into the php files to try to disable the social media stuff. I disabled everything I'm not using. I'm going to make a github account (people still use that, right?) and g+ account (is that worth the effort?). I just dont have any code that's really notable other than C++ schoolwork. I have some VHDL that's kind of neat and am learning assembly right now so I'll have some of that eventually.

I have a youtube channel but I havent done a very good job of setting it up. My camera gear is... my cellphone. It's not very good. I used to teach so I know I can at least present topics well. I just need something better than aiming my cellphone at what Im doing.

I decided to just drop the tags. I'm not entirely sure what they're there for anyway.

Plugin-wise:
All in one Rich Snippets
Google Analytics
Google XML Sitemaps
Jetpack
Symple Shortcodes
Pinterest Automatic
Wordpress SEO

I've made most of the suggestions from above. What plugin should I use for mailchimp? I see a lot of them and I'm sure there are some unsavory ones out there.

Looks a hell of a lot better. Have you thought about a background image instead of the grey? A circuit board or an electrical field related would go perfect with this. Something like the below image but work it so your blog is in the middle and the electricity from the wires are energizing it. Or something like a Tesla Coil. Make the blog eye-catching even before someone starts reading they know what the blog is about and are interested in reading what you have to say. People are very visual.

Yes, I know that image is lame but it's the best I could find quickly to get my point across.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I'm going to look at getting a logo soonish. I'm sure I'll have more newbie questions in the near future. I made 34 cents today at least :3 After spending more hours than I care to mention doing all of the suggestions you guys had, I think I might hold off on writing an article for tonight haha.

:siren: My Google MultiScreen rating just went from 5 stars to 1 star. I have no idea why.
always something.

KetTarma fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 17, 2014

snagger
Aug 14, 2004

KetTarma posted:

:siren: My Google MultiScreen rating just went from 5 stars to 1 star. I have no idea why.
always something.

Have you checked your site on a mobile device? Likely candidates would be breaking your responsive design, bad HTML, or including media that wouldn't display on a mobile device.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

snagger posted:

Have you checked your site on a mobile device? Likely candidates would be breaking your responsive design, bad HTML, or including media that wouldn't display on a mobile device.

Mine went from 5 to 4 and then back to 5 about a week later.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Well, somethings come up.

A little while ago someone approached me to put a not-very-detailed-and-blatantly-paid-for post (plug for some optics company at the end) up on my site (https://www.astronomyaggregator.com) . I said no thanks, thats not what I'm looking for, if you want to write an astronomy article that isnt a marketing plug go right ahead.

I had another email from the same person asking if I would name an article title that they would write to - I didnt reply to this since Ive had a bunch of university exams going on.

I've just had an email from the same person asking how much I would charge them to have one of their articles on my site. Is there something that I'm missing? Has Astronomy Aggregator suddenly, strangely, shot up some search results somehow? Or is this person just trying to get as much of their crap out there as possible?

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
I have another question about social media. So far I've typically just been using facebook, google+, twitter, and pinterest to put links to my blog posts. I was reading about social media optimization and how you need to build a community in your niche.

Is it considered poor form to post links on my social media pages to other blogs in my niche that I haven't authored. Say I see an interesting recipe on my twitter feed and then use it to create a post or pin on my facebook/google+ or pinterest. If this is encouraged, where is the line so it doesn't appear "spammy". I've been reading on this subject for the past couple days and realize authorship is important, but I haven't found any resource that addresses this directly.

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005

DoctorJones posted:

I have another question about social media. So far I've typically just been using facebook, google+, twitter, and pinterest to put links to my blog posts. I was reading about social media optimization and how you need to build a community in your niche.

Is it considered poor form to post links on my social media pages to other blogs in my niche that I haven't authored. Say I see an interesting recipe on my twitter feed and then use it to create a post or pin on my facebook/google+ or pinterest. If this is encouraged, where is the line so it doesn't appear "spammy". I've been reading on this subject for the past couple days and realize authorship is important, but I haven't found any resource that addresses this directly.

If I'm understanding your question correctly, then what you're talking about is considered one of the necessary cornerstones of website growth, outreach, and marketing. Sharing content from other similar sites in your niche on your social media pages is a huge way to connect with others and grow followers and trust, which in turn will help your own content as you start publishing more.

The line for spam appears when you start reposting all these things without adding any of your own commentary to it. For instance, posting a half-dozen links in a row on your Facebook page to blog posts you found interesting might turn people off and doesn't really add anything. But putting a short sentence or two about why you found those useful, or who might benefit from them, etc is considered much better and will help you network. You doing that for other blogs, and they doing it for posts of yours that they find interesting, are how you grow backlinks and new readers in an area that is so dependent on good social marketing.

Some people overdo it. The service Buffer has helped people really start posting links to content that isn't there's very easily on Twitter, because it allows you to mark any blog page you find interesting and will automatically tweet it for you at a scheduled time, it takes no effort. So I follow some web marketing blogs that literally fill my feed with 100 tweets a day that are nothing but links and a quick blurb to articles they found interesting on similar sites. Don't do that, try and add something to the conversation and your followers will take notice and you'll start getting more attention.

I hope that all made sense, it turned out longer than I meant.

EDIT: and it goes without saying, always give credit. Don't disguise a tweet and link as something that's yours only to have the reader realize it's a totally different site when they click it. Include the author's twitter handle in the tweet, mention the page in the Facebook post, etc.

I Am Hydrogen
Apr 10, 2007

I started my first monetized blog on Monday. It's been going well so far. I've been hammering social media, getting some organic traffic from google, and have also posted some paid ads on bing because I had $100 in coupons there, so it's free traffic.

I get about 20-30 unique visitors a day. Average time spent on my site today with 15 visitors so far today as been 1m 10s. My problem is that no one is clicking on my google ads. I have a top banner ad and then a large square ad at the top of my sidebar. I have the banner set to picture ads only, and the sidebar ad is pic and text ads. I've had 15 clicks on my affiliate links, but no one has purchased anything.

Is this something that just takes time/requires more visitors? I have seven posts so far and about 1-2 affiliate links per post. I'm considering adding an in-post text ad from google, but don't want to appear too spammy, especially while I'm still trying to grow my audience. It's a dog blog where I post tips for dog owners, how to advice, and my own personal experiences with my dog if that helps for context.

EDIT:

DoctorJones posted:

Try stumbleupon as well. I get some traffic from there, though not much yet.

As warheadr mentioned, it's fine as long as you add some commentary of your own. Maybe provide some additional insight, or your response to the post. I haven't reposted people's posts on my social media other than retweets, but I do try to reply to people's posts on their blog with my website attached to my post.

I also read that adding the #RT hashtag increases retweets by something like 70% according to some small study. I'm trying to find the source again. I also post pictures of my dog with something funny/cute with a link to my blog/post if you're able to do something similar. People retweet them way more often, and I've gained a bunch of followers that way.

I Am Hydrogen fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 24, 2014

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

I Am Hydrogen posted:

I started my first monetized blog on Monday. It's been going well so far. I've been hammering social media, getting some organic traffic from google, and have also posted some paid ads on bing because I had $100 in coupons there, so it's free traffic.

I get about 20-30 unique visitors a day. Average time spent on my site today with 15 visitors so far today as been 1m 10s. My problem is that no one is clicking on my google ads. I have a top banner ad and then a large square ad at the top of my sidebar. I have the banner set to picture ads only, and the sidebar ad is pic and text ads. I've had 15 clicks on my affiliate links, but no one has purchased anything.

Is this something that just takes time/requires more visitors? I have seven posts so far and about 1-2 affiliate links per post. I'm considering adding an in-post text ad from google, but don't want to appear too spammy, especially while I'm still trying to grow my audience. It's a dog blog where I post tips for dog owners, how to advice, and my own personal experiences with my dog if that helps for context.

EDIT:

Try stumbleupon as well. I get some traffic from there, though not much yet.

As warheadr mentioned, it's fine as long as you add some commentary of your own. Maybe provide some additional insight, or your response to the post. I haven't reposted people's posts on my social media other than retweets, but I do try to reply to people's posts on their blog with my website attached to my post.

I also read that adding the #RT hashtag increases retweets by something like 70% according to some small study. I'm trying to find the source again. I also post pictures of my dog with something funny/cute with a link to my blog/post if you're able to do something similar. People retweet them way more often, and I've gained a bunch of followers that way.

I get 1,500-2,000 uniques a day and still only get a few clicks. It just takes a ton of volume to make anything off adsense.

I Am Hydrogen
Apr 10, 2007

Omits-Bagels posted:

I get 1,500-2,000 uniques a day and still only get a few clicks. It just takes a ton of volume to make anything off adsense.

Ah ok. I'll have to focus on affiliate some more then. Thanks!

EDIT: Just checked my adsense again. Got my first two clicks. Hopefully it picks up. This thread has been extremely helpful, by the way. Still working my way through. I'm sure I'll have some more questions in the coming weeks.

I Am Hydrogen fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 24, 2014

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Im worried that my affiliate links are messed up somehow. Amazon says that 50 people have clicked on them so far. One person bought something a while ago. Yesterday, one of my regular readers told me that he bought something through an affiliate link (though it wasnt the item I had posted, he bought something else). I havent seen it show up on my feed yet. Does this indicate something is wrong?

I'm not worried about the lost revenue so much as having it misconfigured for so long.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

KetTarma posted:

Im worried that my affiliate links are messed up somehow. Amazon says that 50 people have clicked on them so far. One person bought something a while ago. Yesterday, one of my regular readers told me that he bought something through an affiliate link (though it wasnt the item I had posted, he bought something else). I havent seen it show up on my feed yet. Does this indicate something is wrong?

I'm not worried about the lost revenue so much as having it misconfigured for so long.

Amazon has a link checker tool thingy that will tell you if your affiliate link is phrased correctly.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Does Amazon only pay you for someone buying the exact item that you linked? Because I've had several people recently click on an affiliate link then go on to buy something totally unrelated.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

KetTarma posted:

Does Amazon only pay you for someone buying the exact item that you linked? Because I've had several people recently click on an affiliate link then go on to buy something totally unrelated.

It pays you for anything that is purchased after clicking the link. It doesn't have to be the exact product. I probably sell more stuff that I don't directly link to.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Amazon affiliate cookies are good for 24 hours. If someone clicks your affiliate link in the morning and then comes back to the site later that night and buys something unrelated you still get credit.

I Am Hydrogen
Apr 10, 2007

Can anyone recommend a good social media plugin for following/liking posts for the major social media sites? I've been using social sharing toolkit but for some reason whenever it's active, my sites go offline/time out due to a memory leak, so I need something that works without having my host throttling my CPU. Thanks!

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I Am Hydrogen posted:

Can anyone recommend a good social media plugin for following/liking posts for the major social media sites? I've been using social sharing toolkit but for some reason whenever it's active, my sites go offline/time out due to a memory leak, so I need something that works without having my host throttling my CPU. Thanks!

Jetpack has a feature for that. It lets you share posts to Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter, Stumbleupon, Reddit, G+, etc.
I have not figured out a way for it to let you Like posts, however.

Since I might as well ask, has anyone had any experience with Outbrain.com ? They're the ones that make the article lists you see on CNN and other major sites. I find myself always clicking on those ads yet never clicking on Google ads.

KetTarma fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 29, 2014

I Am Hydrogen
Apr 10, 2007

KetTarma posted:

Jetpack has a feature for that. It lets you share posts to Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter, Stumbleupon, Reddit, G+, etc.
I have not figured out a way for it to let you Like posts, however.

Thanks. I ended up going with Social Media Feather after reading a bunch of reviews on different plugins. I like it so far.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
Great info in this thread. I'm trying to monetize my blog and i've made a couple bucks through adsense so far. I'm not trying to shove ads down anyone's throat so i'm being somewhat conservative. I write about how I am personally saving money and making money in creative ways that most anyone can do. I get good feedback from my (mostly facebook) readers but building an audience is slow. I started in July of 2013 and try to write something new each week. Google tells me that if I continue to write quality content the readers will come.

If anyone wants to check it out and provide feedback please do.

Also can the OP add this to the main post? Thanks!

https://www.doitfrugal.com (money saving/making)

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009
^^^

Nice looking site!

One nitpick though...your copyright is out of date :v: Not a big deal, just a pet peeve of mine (and something I almost always look for)

I Am Hydrogen
Apr 10, 2007

For anyone trying to build up an audience on facebook, I would definitely recommend starting an ad campaign. I started a campaign last week because I had a $50 coupon through my host, and have had 107 paid likes as far for a total of $12.17, and have also had another 30 likes that I didn't pay for. Pretty good results.

bEatmstrJ posted:

Great info in this thread. I'm trying to monetize my blog and i've made a couple bucks through adsense so far. I'm not trying to shove ads down anyone's throat so i'm being somewhat conservative. I write about how I am personally saving money and making money in creative ways that most anyone can do. I get good feedback from my (mostly facebook) readers but building an audience is slow. I started in July of 2013 and try to write something new each week. Google tells me that if I continue to write quality content the readers will come.

If anyone wants to check it out and provide feedback please do.

Also can the OP add this to the main post? Thanks!

https://www.doitfrugal.com (money saving/making)

Site looks good! I like the name as well.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
Haha blogging is silly as Hell.

I am your quintessential start up blogger. I did it for three months, got stupid busy with work and stopped caring about blogging.

A couple days ago I get a ping from Google yelling at me for not completing my bank information so they could send me website money. Hey OK sure I'll take $10 for whatever. I check, it's more than $10 and now I'm really confused so I start checking Google Analytics.

Turns out CBS Chicago linked to my site because apparently there's a guy who wrote a book that pretty much matches my URL, and they had some interview with him. Instead of, I dunno, asking him what his site was they just smashed his book title into the browser and decided my site must belong to him.

Now I'm spending time going through emails and linking people his blogspot and apologizing for the confusion but also keeping all of their clicking money.

I can't wait to hear from his lawyer, which the internet has taught me is inevitable.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

I am your quintessential start up blogger. I did it for three months, got stupid busy with work and stopped caring about blogging.

A couple days ago I get a ping from Google yelling at me for not completing my bank information so they could send me website money. Hey OK sure I'll take $10 for whatever. I check, it's more than $10 and now I'm really confused so I start checking Google Analytics.

Turns out CBS Chicago linked to my site because apparently there's a guy who wrote a book that pretty much matches my URL, and they had some interview with him. Instead of, I dunno, asking him what his site was they just smashed his book title into the browser and decided my site must belong to him.

Now I'm spending time going through emails and linking people his blogspot and apologizing for the confusion but also keeping all of their clicking money.

I can't wait to hear from his lawyer, which the internet has taught me is inevitable.

If his book is on Amazon you should get an Amazon affiliate account and slap your affiliate ID on there. Maybe you could earn some commission.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Yeah, do this. You didn't do anything wrong and should have no problems doing this. I don't know if the lawyer statement was just a joke because there is nothing the guy can go after you for.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

That's a pretty cool quirk of fate, capitalize on it and make some money.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

Sleepstupid posted:

^^^

Nice looking site!

One nitpick though...your copyright is out of date :v: Not a big deal, just a pet peeve of mine (and something I almost always look for)

Thanks for the heads up. Updated.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Does the TLD matter at all when it comes to search engines? Would the readers be suspicious of an odd looking TLD like .us or .es?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Yes and yes.

Top-level domains (like .com) are the extensions associated with domain names. For best ranking results, avoid uncommon top-level domains (TLDs). Like hyphens, TLDs such as .info, .cc, .ws, and .name are spam indicators.

When a webmaster registers a domain name, they will be given the option to buy additional TLDs. In order to maximize the direct traffic to a domain, it is advised that webmasters should only buy a domain if the .com version is available. Additionally, it is not recommend that SEO-conscious webmasters purchase low quality TLDs such as .biz, .info, .ws, .name, etc. as a means of increasing traffic.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Why are they considered low quality, is it because of where they are hosted or simply the perception that people have?

Thanks for the answers. A lot of the domain names I'm looking at are taken for .com which is why I was going after .es and us. What about .org.au? I'm from Australia and what I'm thinking about blogging will be directly targeted to australias

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

My understanding is that non-traditional TLDs are given higher scrutiny and lower priority due to their use by spammers and scammers. Traditional TLDs are more likely to be legitimate businesses whereas https://www.face-books.es is probably a phishing site.

I would imagine that .au wouldn't be penalized as heavily as a .cs or something.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Where are you getting this information? I can't find anything official from Google, but everything I've read says they DO NOT penalize for non traditional TLDs... and I've ranked with a .us domain for a long time. They do give priority to country specific domains, so searching Google.fr will result in mostly French sites, but that's it. If you're targeting Australia, absolutely consider .au.

That being said, KetTarma is right in terms of perceived value. A lot of users will be more wary of anything besides a dot com. I would only get a dot com if I was running an eCommerce site. For just a blog though, especially one where you're depending on organic traffic, I wouldn't worry about it so much. Also the type of people that click on ads, don't really pay attention to the URL they're visiting. They're too distracted by headlines, descriptions, etc.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I copy pasted from http://moz.com/learn/seo/domain

I really need to figure out how to get more people to click ads. I've had nearly 2000 visitors and about 7 clicks. WELP

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

KetTarma posted:

I copy pasted from http://moz.com/learn/seo/domain

I really need to figure out how to get more people to click ads. I've had nearly 2000 visitors and about 7 clicks. WELP

Get rid of the ad at the bottom of the pages and put a horizontal large link ad below your menu instead.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I dont really know how to do that. I read that directly under the title for a post is the most ideal place for getting clicks so I did that.
Is Google going to poo poo on me for having 3 AdSense ads, an amazon ad, and the occassional text link that leads to an affiliate?

Also, Google is only showing 2 ads at once. Third one is blank.
Is that bad?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Are there advertisers for what you're blogging about?

I mean if you blog about the terracotta army in that dudes tomb in China you might get lots of interested readers but no one is advertising about.

Also, google might be confused and serve up ads about say, terracotta plant pots thinking its related cause you use the word terracotta a lot, but how many people looking for the army will then think, yeah a plant pot would be nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Its a hobby electronics blog with a bunch of articles on science-related stuff.
Here's my traffic from midnight til just now:

www.wirebiters.com posted:

Home page / Archives 13
Phantom Loads and How To Prevent Them 3
Digital Logic and Boolean Algebra 2
What does an op amp do? 2
6 Reasons Why Everything You Know Will End 2
What is Bitcoin? 2
Why should I switch to LED or fluorescent lights? 2
Why is evolution just a theory? 2
How do I use Superposition Theorem for linear circuits? 2
Why do fluorescent lights mess up my WiFi signal? 1

It's kind of all over the place sometimes since I get most of my ideas for stuff to write about from Facebook or Twitter conversations.

• Locked thread