Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mewse
May 2, 2006

I am so very not a doctor but if mono enlarged your spleen and then it contracted after recovery, perhaps some tissue permanently tore and that's what's causing the discomfort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Usually when there's a non-painful clicking sensation it's because an enlarged or constricted tissue is catching on something else in there and snapping off of it like a rubber band. Snapping Hip Syndrome for example, which I have. If there's no pain it's probably not something you need to worry about too much, although keep in mind that it can make you more susceptible to inflammation/tendinitis in the affected tissue.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Minclark posted:

I've sent them an email about going to watch for a session to see what its all about, the classes I am looking into would have a majority of newcomers though I would imagine as its coupled with some college programs. as seen here http://www.oberlin.edu/stuorg/Aikido/

Seems like a good introduction to something other than lifting weights for fitness. Hopefully it helps relax me a bit too.
I did aikido for about three years back in high school, and I can't recommend it enough. I had a bit of temper back then, and aikido mellowed me out a lot. It also gave me a regular hobby and I found out I'm pretty good at martial arts, so it's probably not all due to aikido itself, but you should check it out and tell us what you think.

And if aikido does something, it will help you relax. The practice won't click until you learn to stand straight and relax, and the same things will help you chill out in everyday life as well. Just learning to drop your shoulders and tuck in your tailbone has a funny effect on anxiety.

Plus getting thrown around is a lot of fun.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
My idea of heaven is shooting sweep singles on aikido dorks all day forever

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

If you had ruptured your spleen without emergency care you wouldn't still be alive to post this, which is why your doc wasn't that worried. I've seen a spontaneous splenic rupture once in a patient who had epstein-barr and the pain was severe and tracking through his left abdomen and left shoulder. The most likely case for you is intra-abdominal adhesions snapping and loosening from where they were formed while your spleen was still swollen, in which case it's fine to work em out. I'd try doing some static bridging and rolling the area under your rib with a lacrosse ball to see if that'll loosen it instead of snapping.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I did aikido for 2 years before moving on and they have a lot of really good ideas and even very good drills to develop your feeling and instinct. However, they never go full speed/full contact and because of that you get a lot of nonsense that doesn't stand up to pressure testing. Its also easy for a bad students and teacher to coast along picking up ranks because theres no competitions or hard sparring to prove they know their poo poo.

If you want to really learn to fight, and still do aikido, learn judo too (they are almost the same and there is evidence that the founder of Aikido intended it to be an addition not a totally) but if you just want a mellow, moving meditation kind of experience then go for it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Okay so a couple of things I'm convinced are true about aikido and a lot of :spergin: about aikido as a people-hurting art:

First, the techniques (takedowns, throws, whatnot) taught are generally sound; They're based on well-tested jujutsu techniques, and similar crap is still being taught to police and even as combatives to soldiers. As an anecdote, a friend of mine started aikido when I did, dropped out about at the same time and works currently as a security guard and often needs to wrestle with untrained but aggressive "customers" - and he often mentions that the stuff he learned at the aikido club actually works.

Second, the way aikido is taught is basically poo poo for learning any actual self-defense. The way I was taught was very technical and formal, and I'm under the impression it won't be until way into the black belts that the speed and force of the drills will actually represent "the real thing". Aikikai aikido (which is the most popular style taught around the world) is said to be the style Morihei Ueshiba (the founder) taught to Tokyo's white-collar workers in his old age, when he was more concerned with flowing technique and softness and spiritualism so on and so forth.

(On the other hand, there's also a style of aikido called Yoshinkan. It was founded by one of Ueshiba's earliest students, and it's apparently hardass enough to be taught to the Japanese riot police. I should read Angry White Pyjamas, a local historical fencing teacher recommends it.)

Anyway, the way I see it, learning martial arts as a means of self-defense requires also learning a certain, I dunno, frame of mind. A willingness to escalate, maybe. I mean, that's why police officers carry both a baton and a gun. Aikido doesn't teach any of that.

Third, I'm 100% certain of the techniques carry the implication that if the attacker refuses to play nice and go along with what you're doing, he'll get kicked in the nuts very hard.

Anyway, that's a lot of embarrassing couch martial artism. Let me tell you about the bad time I had at karate class today:

Trying to pick up karate after a long break is loving awful. I've got no stamina, no strength, no control and all the drills I learned less than a year ago are only fuzzy memories. On Monday I gassed out in the warmups and later sprained my shoulder trying to force a technique through. (Thank God for ice packs.) Today I flubbed a takedown and twisted my back a bit, and now it's all stiff and annoying. My knee hurts. The ankle I twisted back in July still hasn't healed. I got a love-tap straight in the nose and I hate the taste of blood. I kept hyperextending all my punches and kicks like a moron. And I accidentally kneed a pajama-bro in the face. :cripes:

It really doesn't help that the reason I took the long break was that I had a panic attack during a class. We were training a kata for an exam later that month, and it just wouldn't click for me. I kept forcing it and running into a wall, and eventually I just had a meltdown and fled into the showers. The frustration I'm feeling right now is dredging up the frustration from back then.

It's my second day back in the saddle and I feel like poo poo. I guess it's only to be expected, but I'm seriously considering dropping out and giving the university aikido club a second try.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Hitting your partner's elbow with your foot when kicking mitts loving sucks. What sucks even more is doing a repeat preformance with the other foot thirty seconds later.

At least nothing seems broken. It feels good to get going again after the holidays.:)

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013
So I went and just looked at the class to find out what aikido was all about.

The instructors eve had me join in for a bit. In these classes the teachers say that you should always start soft and if you want to play a bit more rough find a partner that also wants to play a bit more rough.

I am a bit more looking for the meditation/calming/fun part of it right now as opposed to the actual defending myself. There were some posts earlier mentioning people cross training aikido for the grappling aspect and they cross trained it with a fighting style martial art. Later if I want to defend myself I would probably look into one of the punching styles... I think a few guys at work do judo in their off time.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
If you enjoy it yeah go for it. Just don't be the rough spazzy new guy or no one will want to work with you. Also check out Tai Chi and Yoga if you're looking for the meditation/calming/fun stuff.

goal for the next couple of months: attend more sumo classes. brb - gonna get McDonalds and gain 150lbs.

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 17, 2014

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

DekeThornton posted:

Hitting your partner's elbow with your foot when kicking mitts loving sucks. What sucks even more is doing a repeat preformance with the other foot thirty seconds later.

At least nothing seems broken. It feels good to get going again after the holidays.:)

Ugh, this. Nothing is more disabling that kicking an elbow with your foot. I managed to do that by training with a guy that was well over 6 feet tall (compared to my 5' 8" self). Most people at the gym tend to hover around the 5'8" - 5'10" mark, so I never realized that my technique wasn't as good as it could've been.

Training with a taller dude really forces you to make sure you turn those hips over to snap a kick. And really forces you to make sure you've judged your distance so that you hit with the shin instead of the foot.

(I'm assuming you're talking about Muay Thai here)

Also, +1 for Yoga. When I had time to do Yoga, it REALLY helped with my Muay Thai. A lot of the poses in Yoga really helped stretch out my core muscles; which are taxed heavily during MT with all of the torquing of the torso required to throw those powerful kicks, knees and elbows.

And the whole mental de-stressing thing is nice too. :)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

The gold box deal for today on amazon is up to 40% off MMA and martial art gear. Looking through it now.

http://www.amazon.com/b/?_encoding=...01&tag=ike22-20

mewse
May 2, 2006

Christoff posted:

The gold box deal for today on amazon is up to 40% off MMA and martial art gear. Looking through it now.

http://www.amazon.com/b/?_encoding=...01&tag=ike22-20

Dude getting a stand and punching bag for $150 with free shipping, I'm upset that I live in Canada

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Yoga is honestly incredible for balance and flexibility.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Siivola posted:

Aikikai aikido (which is the most popular style taught around the world) is said to be the style Morihei Ueshiba (the founder) taught to Tokyo's white-collar workers in his old age, when he was more concerned with flowing technique and softness and spiritualism so on and so forth.
Actually the Aikikai is an amalgram of number of Ueshiba's (and his son's) students.

There is no evidence that Ueshiba taught people differently in different regions of the country.

The differences have to do with what Ueshiba was interested in and what he was teaching at the time. His first students learnt Daito Ryu, when he broke off from Takeda and started doing his own thing, he made Aikido what he wanted it to be.

But what is Aikido? A martial art? A religion? Was it Ueshiba's intention to elevate himself or did it include his students too?

Here is a good article on the subject.

Siivola posted:

(On the other hand, there's also a style of aikido called Yoshinkan. It was founded by one of Ueshiba's earliest students, and it's apparently hardass enough to be taught to the Japanese riot police.
The riot police can also do judo or kendo if memory serves correctly. Just something as an 'intensive' course to prove 'toughness'. I really don't think its a testament to its effectiveness.

Siivola posted:

Anyway, the way I see it, learning martial arts as a means of self-defense requires also learning a certain, I dunno, frame of mind. A willingness to escalate, maybe. I mean, that's why police officers carry both a baton and a gun. Aikido doesn't teach any of that.
For the most part this is true. If you get stuck with a new age teacher who all willy nilly onto the "Aikido is Peace" you might get that explanation. If you get a good teacher they can explain what Ueshiba meant a bit more. I'm pretty sure there's a post on AikiWeb that really goes more into depth on this especially with regards to the company Ueshiba kept.

Chances are in this day and age you're not going to be able to train with any of Ueshiba's students. However there is a good chance you can train with their students (the first real 'foreign' crop so to say.) The teachers I've known in the latter category have said their students will be better than they were as they're going to avoid some pit falls. (For example, doing a 'death grip' when you're training with someone. This is a waste of time.)

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

Senor P. posted:

The riot police can also do judo or kendo if memory serves correctly. Just something as an 'intensive' course to prove 'toughness'. I really don't think its a testament to its effectiveness.
From everything I've heard and seen, Japanese Police Kendo is loving brutal.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Ueshiba said that "his" aikido was 70% atemi-waza and 30% nage-waza. If you can find me an aikido school that spends 70% of their time training atemi, I'll buy you a beer.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

WaterIsPoison posted:

From everything I've heard and seen, Japanese Police Kendo is loving brutal.

'Japanese Police Kendo' covers everything from your small village police dojo to the top level dojos like Kidotai in Osaka.
The top dojos are typically riot police dojos, but many of the players are 'drafted' and as such only does minimal regular police work.
The training is hard, but I'd argue that the top high school/uni training is harder still. I have survived a session at Kidotai, but I don't think I could do so at PL Gakuen.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

fatherdog posted:

Ueshiba said that "his" aikido was 70% atemi-waza and 30% nage-waza. If you can find me an aikido school that spends 70% of their time training atemi, I'll buy you a beer.
Systema! :rimshot:

The quote in question is 90% atemi. See George Ledyard's post here.

Although some of the books listed in that same thread seem to recount Gozo Shioda saying it was a 70% / 30% as you're saying. So maybe its both, who knows.

Which leads to the question, what IS atemi as far as Aikido is concerned? I know the literal translation is to strike. However, as far as Aikido goes does this just mean smacking the guy for an opening to initiate a technique? Responding with a counter to reverse someone's technique? (Oh this guy is doing ikkyo poorly, I can still punch him the rib, here!) What about taking the space someone wants to use for their attack and you use it or just occupy that space instead?

It is one of those Aikido riddles, the whole community has their own opinion.

I'd make the argument that like it or not, atemi is a major component of Aikido practice. The majority of the time it is there. Even if someone does not know striking, their training partner should teach them something. If I'm someone's uke and they do a poor atemi I'm not going to react to it.

The problem is if partner A doesn't have any striking skills and partner B doesn't have any striking skills. The potential and interactions are still there, but it more or less becomes a dance.

If you're looking at it only from the striking angle. Then you're correct that the majority of the schools do not regularly practice striking training. Or even practice irregularly. :pseudo:

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I swear I read an article somewhere that claimed Ueshiba was kind of a psycho. That he used break the limbs of people who spoke out of turn and stuff, that even in pre-war japan people thought he went way too far, and he didn't develop his peaceful ideology until he mellowed late in his life.

Did I just dream this? I can't find the source anymore.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Senor P. posted:

Which leads to the question, what IS atemi as far as Aikido is concerned?

[...]

It is one of those Aikido riddles, the whole community has their own opinion.

"What IS atemi?" is the kind of "riddle" that only occurs in martial arts that have stopped sparring and started to suck. In martial arts that have maintained some kind of relevance, "What IS striking?" continues to be really loving obvious.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Hey I have a friend who trains in both systema and capoeira.

Pros: awesome butt, she's actually really, really tough and fast, and physically very strong for a woman, woe the drunken rapist who tries to score with her
Cons: none that I can think of

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
So does systema help with any of that?

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
^Systema gives her faith. Faith makes you strong. Hail Mother Russia

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen
So I know Joel Jameison is really well respected in the mma and s/c communities, but is it worth it to me (an amateur fighter with 4 actual matches/recreational athlete) to buy the book+hrv+the power push and all that? I really just want the fundamentals and I already have a HR monitor.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Eat Bum Zen posted:

So I know Joel Jameison is really well respected in the mma and s/c communities, but is it worth it to me (an amateur fighter with 4 actual matches/recreational athlete) to buy the book+hrv+the power push and all that? I really just want the fundamentals and I already have a HR monitor.

The HRV monitor is pretty sweet, I've been using it for about a year and a half now. Mainly I use it as a "ok, I'm just lazy not actually fatigued" tool to keep my rear end in the gym.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I swear I read an article somewhere that claimed Ueshiba was kind of a psycho. That he used break the limbs of people who spoke out of turn and stuff, that even in pre-war japan people thought he went way too far, and he didn't develop his peaceful ideology until he mellowed late in his life.

There are many anecdotes to this effect, IDK how he was viewed from the outside but many of the things you hear about him and his school sound like a hosed up cult of personality with a generous helping of hazing. Personally, when I read/hear about Ueshiba he sounds like a great athlete and martial artist but not a particularly good or even motivated teacher. Aikido was whatever he was interested in doing at the time and he seemed very apathetic to the growth and understanding of students versus his own training. Like, when he got older and decided to take a lot of the contact and hardness out, that was just the way it was and you got 25 year olds doing techniques like they're 70.

Some of the guys that trained under him seem like much better teachers (and people) who looked up to Ueshiba and quietly shored up his teaching with their own ability and spun "O-Sensei" up to be a better man than he probably ever was in life. That first generation also had a lot more outside MA background, so they were more grounded in reality, and hence able to handle themselves outside of kata. The more pure the Aikidoka, the less effective they seem to be, which makes sense when the "final" Aikido was modeled on a geriatric with a lifetime of training allowing him to use techniques that are the martial equivalent of a trick shot.

Compare that to Kano who dedicated his life to teaching and building an education system to spread and improve Judo.

EDIT: I editted in some more points.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 19, 2014

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

Xguard86 posted:

There are many anecdotes to this effect, IDK how he was viewed from the outside but many of the things you hear about him and his school sound like a hosed up cult of personality with a generous helping of hazing. Personally, when I read/hear about Ueshiba he sounds like a great athlete and martial artist but not a particularly good or even motivated teacher. Very apathetic to the growth and understanding of students versus his own training. Some of the guys that trained under him seem like much better teachers (and people) who looked up to Ueshiba and quietly shored up his teaching with their own ability and spun "O-Sensei" up to be a better man than he probably ever was in life.

Compare that to Kano who dedicated his life to teaching and building an education system to spread and improve Judo.

I wonder if his students would be willing to talk about this little point if I walked in for class 2 and respectfully asked. They seem friendly and willing to teach...

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Minclark posted:

I wonder if his students would be willing to talk about this little point if I walked in for class 2 and respectfully asked. They seem friendly and willing to teach...

This would probably stir some serious poo poo and odds are very high they would ask you to leave. I would not say this to an Aikidoka IRL.

EDIT: to clarify, I've had this conversation with an aikido practitioner who was very annoying and I finally got frustrated and came out and said basically what I posted, then he got mad and tried to say I didn't understand and that bjj is "just a sport" or some nonsense. Then I revealed I have a brown belt in aikido (which is nothing really like a child's rank) but he was like barely into the first belt of his system. So, hilariously, I even outranked him in the thing he was defending. Still I should have used my Aikido training to not pick a fight in the first place and just moved on because its not worth it trying to talk about poo poo like that.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 19, 2014

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

Eat Bum Zen posted:

Joel's book is totally worth picking up. Most of the guys I work with at school have it and use it for a ton of other sports. It is one of the best manuals on energy system training. HRV on the other hand is an interesting question. I have never used HRV in the field, but I was working as an assistant coach for a sailing programme and suggested it to our head S&C guy. He used it for one of his previous campaigns. He said that it wasn't worth the price and that getting a simple morning wellness score on a 1-10 scale works just as good if you do it over a decent amount of time (two to six weeks at the least). My guys have no money so that is what we use and I'm happy with the results. Still, I wish I had the funding to give it a try.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

Xguard86 posted:

This would probably stir some serious poo poo and odds are very high they would ask you to leave. I would not say this to an Aikidoka IRL.

EDIT: to clarify, I've had this conversation with an aikido practitioner who was very annoying and I finally got frustrated and came out and said basically what I posted, then he got mad and tried to say I didn't understand and that bjj is "just a sport" or some nonsense. Then I revealed I have a brown belt in aikido (which is nothing really like a child's rank) but he was like barely into the first belt of his system. So, hilariously, I even outranked him in the thing he was defending. Still I should have used my Aikido training to not pick a fight in the first place and just moved on because its not worth it trying to talk about poo poo like that.

I will keep this in mind and do some internet snooping to try and find the two extremes and see where the middle (usually truth) stands. Thanks for the heads up though. Maybe ask once I'm a bit more recognized as a student. If I find out anything worth mentioning I'll bring it back here.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

kimbo305 posted:

So does systema help with any of that?

Well, their workouts are quite hard and strike each other in the body at 100% (like Kyokushin) so I'm gonna call it a "YES". Does it make her a good boxer or MMA fighter? Nope. But still a hella lot tougher than 99% of the women walking around. And albeit her ringcraft in boxing/kickboxing/MT might be lacking, she punches very, very hard and that can't have anything to do with capoeira because they just play fun game by dancing and swinging legs around over there. She's also a semi-nasty grappler somehow. But they do that stuff in systema.

I don't know about the awesome butt though. That might be all capoeira.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

All women I've known that regularly practiced capoeira had the awesome butt, I think it's the basic low stance and movement that really favors that area. Or maybe it's just a sport that attracts fit young women, like MMA attracts dudes with ugly tattoos or Krav Maga attracts accountants in their forties.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

eine dose socken posted:

Krav Maga attracts accountants in their forties.

:v:

HAHAHAHA!

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
It could be all the negativas, an extended set of those things are like one legged squat push-up twists of doom. Or the silky pants.

It's kind of sad the sweeps and low game from cap isn't present in the mma, I assume because it's impractical at pro speeds and you just get pounced on/grappled by bjj types. I would have thought the lower stance would have been disruptive and confusing for traditional striking styles though. Still it makes watch kungfu movies fun because bimba stole all their good moves and you can say 'hey I can do that!' after every armada/parafuso style kick.

That said my Mauy Thai instructor is scared of my Cap instructor but that is because he is ripped and gigantic so maybe my impression is skewed somewhat on how effective it can be.

Goffer fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 19, 2014

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Anthony Pettis is one fighter who somewhat successfully pulls capoeira type stuff in mma. Spinning kicks where a hand touches the ground, things like that. But it says something about the techniques that it takes a guy who's arguably the most spectacular striker in the sport right now to even begin to make them work.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I'm not aware of Ueshiba or Takeda (his teacher) out right injuring someone for something so trivial.

I do know of various incidents of Ueshiba's students acting like douche bags. (Shioda intentionally concussing his uke's. Certain others maiming their training partners.)

Takeda was a difficult man to be around by the accounts I've read. Ueshiba was also pretty strict.

"X-Guard posted:

That first generation also had a lot more outside MA background, so they were more grounded in reality, and hence able to handle themselves outside of kata. The more pure the Aikidoka, the less effective they seem to be, which makes sense when the "final" Aikido was modeled on a geriatric with a lifetime of training allowing him to use techniques that are the martial equivalent of a trick shot.
It is more complicated than that. It is currently surmised that what made Takeda, Ueshiba, and their early students so strong was that there was signficant amount of solo training performed by Takeda and Ueshiba.

No one knows exactly where Takeda learned his material. I think the current historical guess is it came from his father's family art and Takeda expanded it. He did a lot of tinkering on his own and sparred a lot with the local farmers doing sumo.

Ueshiba's solo training primarily came from Takeda but he was also likely exposed to some additional solo training as part of his intense religious studies of Ommoto Kyo.

Ueshiba's early students were taught Daito Ryu. (Some of them may have been taught solo exercises as part of their training.)

Then later on, Ueshiba creates his own martial art, Aikido, with his own personal goal of literaly uniting heaven and earth. (It was still a martial art, however to an extent his students were an end to a means.) Unfortunately no one seems to know where his diary or notes went after he died. So we have to rely on interviews from his students and there are some very varying accounts.

Then you also have Ueshiba's son who has to make the decision post-war how Aikido is to expand in the future. Drop all the relgious influence? Rely solely on partner kata? Etc...

What you're left with is modern day Aikido with waza/techniques that for the most part don't make sense without the requisite body skills. The issue is further compounded with students and teachers who don't train hard and an aging populace of practicioners.

If it was just the case the third generation of Ueshiba's students from the 40's 50's and 60's (who had done Judo, Karate, and Boxing) would have been just as good as those from prior to the war.

Don't get me wrong those guys were geniuses in their own right but in interviews you have them talking about the pre-war guys and how they respected them.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I've probably blended stories about a few different people into one person in my head, that would explain it. It's crazy how every martial art seems to have a dominant folk story about the origin of the art, but the real origins are always so complicated and hard to puzzle out.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I like all the martial art folk stories people tell. Things like the Kimura v Gracie saga and pretty much anything related to Gene LeBell. Aikido is more interesting this way too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I've probably blended stories about a few different people into one person in my head, that would explain it. It's crazy how every martial art seems to have a dominant folk story about the origin of the art, but the real origins are always so complicated and hard to puzzle out.

Off topic, but the more I learn about any subject in particular, the more this seems to be true of basically everything ever.

• Locked thread