Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
On a similar note does anyone remember the bug in CS:S where anyone with the name %n would crash all the users playing the game if that player died? This was patched for everyone running a legit copy but it took another couple of days for the pirated copy to get patched. I must have spent hours jumping from server to server crashing out all of the pirates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think it was just on pirated versions, but in Arkham Asylum, all the grapple points would be off the map. You'd grapple up to a gargoyle but then you'd warp to way above the map in a black void hanging below a square.

Moronic Farce
Sep 21, 2008

"Farce... You'll always be the brony of my heart"
Samahiel, August 30 2013

wuat posted:

Stop griefing in ways I don't like.
:goonsay:

Harassment is harassment whether its prank calling or calling them fat via VoIP.

I disagree that harassment is griefing, harassment is scary in reality some nut case stalking you or taking the time to track you down and constantly hassle you in the real world could do alot more harm to you than some merry prankster following your internet video game stream and killing you with a flying robot. On the subject of prank calls if we're judging this as a prank call its an uncreative and unfunny one anyway, anyone can call someone fat and stupid if that's all you can muster for your hilarious internet video it isn't impressive.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

They could do some really immersive cinematic poo poo with pirates nowadays. Have people talk over dialogue or mumble so you can't follow what's going on, have the awesome superweapon fire out a BANG! flag, make in-game computer systems crash with piracy messages, or have a helpful conscience fairy that constantly flies in your face suggesting you buy the game, messes with poo poo in the game world ('HEY A SWITCH! I WONDER WHAT IT DOES!!') and basically exists solely to aggravate the player.

Or just arrest the player in the game at a really interesting moment. Pull you aside during a cutscene and lock you in a room, where you eventually realise you're not going to be released and you've been wasting the past 20 minutes looking for a way out

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Moronic Farce posted:

I disagree that harassment is griefing, harassment is scary in reality some nut case stalking you or taking the time to track you down and constantly hassle you in the real world could do alot more harm to you than some merry prankster following your internet video game stream and killing you with a flying robot. On the subject of prank calls if we're judging this as a prank call its an uncreative and unfunny one anyway, anyone can call someone fat and stupid if that's all you can muster for your hilarious internet video it isn't impressive.

Agreed. Griefing stays within the confines of the game itself, and most of the better griefs involve using game mechanics in some way to gently caress with people.

Calling someone's phone, ordering pizzas to their house, posting personal information online, etc. is completely different, and unacceptable.

That said, what the gently caress is this "crush a can for Jay Owen" thing? I haven't seen it until just yesterday, I don't get it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

baka kaba posted:

They could do some really immersive cinematic poo poo with pirates nowadays. Have people talk over dialogue or mumble so you can't follow what's going on, have the awesome superweapon fire out a BANG! flag, make in-game computer systems crash with piracy messages, or have a helpful conscience fairy that constantly flies in your face suggesting you buy the game, messes with poo poo in the game world ('HEY A SWITCH! I WONDER WHAT IT DOES!!') and basically exists solely to aggravate the player.

Or just arrest the player in the game at a really interesting moment. Pull you aside during a cutscene and lock you in a room, where you eventually realise you're not going to be released and you've been wasting the past 20 minutes looking for a way out

Try activating the console and typing "sv_cheats 1" in The Stanley Parable.

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

Receiving data bursts, everything to do with it.
I've noticed a distinct lack of griefing being talked about in griefing thread.

Shooting Blanks posted:

That said, what the gently caress is this "crush a can for Jay Owen" thing? I haven't seen it until just yesterday, I don't get it.
This is funny, just bask in its glory ^^^.

Moronic Farce posted:

Vib Rib posted:

Are you kidding me? It's their fault and they deserve it because they didn't actively prevent some rear end in a top hat from going internet detective on them?

Comic posted:

It's also incredibly creepy.

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I reported his video at like 1:10 where he calls the chicks house like a complete freak, hopefully we can grief him by having his IP banned from youtube or something similar.

Making someone mad on the internet is one thing, calling someone on the phone just to tell them they're ugly and stupid is just pathetic.

K. Farb posted:

Jay Owen is about as funny as Mike Hawk was in middle school (not that funny) and "crush a can for Jay Owen" isn't very clever so I'm not sure why this joke has gone on so long. They could use a new gimmick.

Cojawfee posted:

I think these two guys getting griefed by the police for a while would be a lot more funny than "crush a can for Jay Owen" ever could have been.

reagan posted:

But yeah this has gone way too far.

Snoozefest in the SA griefing thread. Every griefing thread has turned into this. Oh, here's a griefing video I guess: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHgW2z61_9k
Don't watch if you're triggered by children screaming or child abuse via virtual reality.

Massive_Idiot fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 16, 2014

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Shooting Blanks posted:

Agreed. Griefing stays within the confines of the game itself, and most of the better griefs involve using game mechanics in some way to gently caress with people.

Exactly. The best griefs are always ones that make the victim look stupid for being mad. The amount of grown men who angrily filled my ICQ message box when my nine year old self used to trade scam in Ultima Online still brings back warm feelings to this day. Now, since games have largely taken away the wild west aspect of online gaming, most 'griefs' I see are people just being general douche bags through communication.

Calling someone fat isn't griefing. Using a bug to slip through the walls of their house and trashing the place with stacks of cloth shaped like dicks is. Calling someone's home and leaving threatening messages isn't griefing. Killing a fully geared out player by having ten naked guys swarm him with wooden polearms is.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

wuat posted:

Stop griefing in ways I don't like.
:goonsay:

Harassment is harassment whether its prank calling or calling them fat via VoIP.

That's a really stupid way of justifying the act calling someone you have never met and leaving the fictional world you don't live in to gently caress with someone in reality.

The game is a game and if I'm loving with someone in the game it stays there. I don't hunt them down in the real world and call them to say some weird poo poo. If she had publicly invited people to call a number then you might be able to say that but this is different.

SnoochtotheNooch fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 16, 2014

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I don't think that prank call video was actually supposed to be funny and this could all just be one big meta-grief. I mean, it's the outlook that makes the whole thing the least weird but it's still pretty weird.

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

That's a really stupid way of justifying the act calling someone you have never met and leaving the fictional world you don't live in to gently caress with someone in reality.

The game is a game and if I'm loving with someone in the game it stays there. I don't hunt them down in the real world and call them to say some weird poo poo. If she had publicly invited people to call a number then you might be able to say that but this is different.

Dude... I don't know how to tell you this but... you're being griefed right now. In the griefing thread.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kraustofski posted:

This is funny, just bask in its glory ^^^.
Snoozefest in the SA griefing thread. Every griefing thread has turned into this. Oh, here's a griefing video I guess: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHgW2z61_9k
Don't watch if you're triggered by children screaming or child abuse via virtual reality.
Are you really, honestly saying calling someone's phone and spreading their personal information just to harass them and insult them on the same level as this video?

wuat
Jul 12, 2009

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

You're right I'm sorry a prank call is going to send this Person into a fugue state where they might kill someone because they were called fat over the phone.

Moronic Farce
Sep 21, 2008

"Farce... You'll always be the brony of my heart"
Samahiel, August 30 2013

Kraustofski posted:

Dude... I don't know how to tell you this but... you're being griefed right now. In the griefing thread.

Funny stuff bro, next make the joke about the website's name being somethingawful and take your rightful place as the king of cool.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Doltos posted:

Exactly. The best griefs are always ones that make the victim look stupid for being mad. The amount of grown men who angrily filled my ICQ message box when my nine year old self used to trade scam in Ultima Online still brings back warm feelings to this day.

Going by some definitions in this thread, those grown men were griefing you, but they should've gone further for it to be funny. Maybe they should've found your personal information and called your house? I'm sure that would've been great. If they threatened you over the phone but recorded it and shared it with others it's just a prank right?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Comic posted:

Going by some definitions in this thread, those grown men were griefing you, but they should've gone further for it to be funny. Maybe they should've found your personal information and called your house? I'm sure that would've been great. If they threatened you over the phone but recorded it and shared it with others it's just a prank right?

Hey man if people think that's griefing, fine by them. I just call that laziness combined with no creativity. Griefing is an art, after all. Most people just happen to be finger painters.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Holy poo poo, thread; it's very loving simple:

Making people angry about poo poo that doesn't matter, like fake real estate or swords: griefing

Threatening the actual livelihood or safety of others: harrassment

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

Are you really, honestly saying calling someone's phone and spreading their personal information just to harass them and insult them on the same level as this video?

If I answer will you post a grief in the griefing thread?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1oXlvBWc3w

Massive_Idiot fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 16, 2014

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

wuat posted:

You're right I'm sorry a prank call is going to send this Person into a fugue state where they might kill someone because they were called fat over the phone.

No you'll just be really creepy and anyone you tell "hey I tracked down this fat whore from a twitch stream and called her house then told her she was a stupid fat whore. I totally griefed that dumb bitch." will see you as creepy and sad. Keep justifying how awesome of a grief it is though :allears:

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Can we please stop this stupid argument? No one is going to change their mind.
All of my griefing stories are petty little chump change compared to poo poo like the Doom Peel or the Slime Apocalypse, things like stealing from idiots or occasionally teleporting them into the middle of hostile mobs. I am just not very creative at griefing.

The best I can say I did would be a long time ago, when I played Maple Story, I used to follow people around making the angry face while naked. It was pretty easy because they generally cleared the areas out for you, and you could get some good reactions out of it.

wuat
Jul 12, 2009

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

No you'll just be really creepy and anyone you tell "hey I tracked down this fat whore from a twitch stream and called her house then told her she was a stupid fat whore. I totally griefed that dumb bitch." will see you as creepy and sad. Keep justifying how awesome of a grief it is though :allears:

I guess you could say that was me in the call even though it wasn't??? I just find it hilarious how upset you're getting over somebody being prank called. Sure it wasn't creative, but it got her mad, which is the point of griefing/trolling/harassing somebody.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Prank calling someone is sort of lame in general, but not if you dug up their phone number by being a creepy internet detective. I don't see the difficulty in separating online and real life boundaries. That clip was loving creepy.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

wuat posted:

I guess you could say that was me in the call even though it wasn't??? I just find it hilarious how upset you're getting over somebody being prank called. Sure it wasn't creative, but it got her mad, which is the point of griefing/trolling/harassing somebody.

"YOU MAD BRO?" :) who's being griefed here? Me or you?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Zebrin posted:

Can we please stop this stupid argument? No one is going to change their mind.
All of my griefing stories are petty little chump change compared to poo poo like the Doom Peel or the Slime Apocalypse, things like stealing from idiots or occasionally teleporting them into the middle of hostile mobs. I am just not very creative at griefing.

The best I can say I did would be a long time ago, when I played Maple Story, I used to follow people around making the angry face while naked. It was pretty easy because they generally cleared the areas out for you, and you could get some good reactions out of it.

Griefing can get good if you keep at the minor stuff for a while and make a name for yourself doing it.

On Catskills UO server I'd stand by guild stones and wait for a guild member to show up. I'd explain that X person said I was supposed to be in the guild but I've been waiting here for an hour now, can you find him or just invite me please? They'd almost always invite me to the guild. Then I'd immediately pull out my kris and kill them to avoid the murder penalty, go through the guild house and loot everything that wasn't locked down, then go to the next guild on my list. This was a rotation, so I'd often show up to the same guildstone two or three times a month and pull the same trick on the same person.

Another go to was following people through their rune gateways. They'd tell me to go back because they were headed to someones house or going to a dungeon, etc, so I'd say ok, walk towards the gateway, and stealth right before I went through it. Then they'd see the gate shut and inevitably drop a rune or a runebook on the ground for their friend to use. I'd swipe it, pop back out and tell them I'd sell it back for 5k. They'd pay me the ransom then I'd trade back a blank runebook and recall away.

They're both relatively minor griefs but I did both so often that I became a hated figure on the server and people would just randomly yell at me while I was running through Britain. I was nine when I started UO and was about 15 when I finished so I was always completely delighted when groups of people would take time out of their day to curse me out while I was sitting on a horse idling next to the banker.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

it seems to me, the griefing is coming from inside the thread... though, maybe, you're all just griefing yourselves. extremely meta griefing going on here.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I am being griefed by people constantly making the meta-griefing joke. It is meta-meta-griefing.

I am dying.

4533josh
Jan 14, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPjttlLjFk8
No hacks just good ol' stream sniping.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Kraustofski posted:

If I answer will you post a grief in the griefing thread?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1oXlvBWc3w

Another timeless classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHv-iyUDTPA

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

No real griefer would prank call someone, that's just taking it too far. Once you stop doing it to people over video games and start talking to them over the phone is when you surpass hitler.

4533josh posted:

I love how she changes servers and they're already there.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
Repping OG "The Jay Owen thing has transcended griefing and has entered the realm of criminality and harassment" crew ITT.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I think the best team info slash grief was when he unironically started using "feminazi"

e: or maybe it is a group, of people, I would not want to be inaccurate

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 16, 2014

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

K. Farb posted:

Jay Owen is about as funny as Mike Hawk was in middle school (not that funny) and "crush a can for Jay Owen" isn't very clever so I'm not sure why this joke has gone on so long. They could use a new gimmick.

I get the distinct impression that this is one of those things that people are going to look back on in a month with the sort of contempt usually reserved for lolcats.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Holy poo poo, thread; it's very loving simple:

Making people angry about poo poo that doesn't matter, like fake real estate or swords: griefing

Threatening the actual livelihood or safety of others: harrassment

I agree, but it's a matter of degrees: griefing is funny because the suffering of the victims is trivial (and some of them are also asses), but if you have less sympathy in general, more of other people's problems will seem like "poo poo that doesn't matter" and more kinds of suffering will seem funny.

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

"YOU MAD BRO?" :) who's being griefed here? Me or you?

I'm sorry to say but its you... it appears you're not good at this whole griefing thing. Maybe if you watch some stgggs videos now that his channel is back up you can learn from some good peeps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLgjX3SnHd8

caption: i guess your face wasnt copyrighted after all

Massive_Idiot fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 17, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Are we really having this discussion? loving hell, as soon as it leaves the bounds of a game it becomes one of those things that can be punished by law in a lot of places, that should speak for itself.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Yeah, that is not even funny, it is just some really lovely stuff.

Old video from one of the CoD threads:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkb91iNn068

so mad/bad at video games :allears:

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

4533josh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPjttlLjFk8

Way better than Jay Owen.

Also how hard is it for a streamer to hide the server they're on, all these videos seem to feature no-name channels. Or is it because the reactions are better?

4533josh
Jan 14, 2012
The reactions are better when they're from no-name streamers who think that they have a lot of internet cred.
See the aforementioned video ;)

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

razorscooter posted:

Yeah, that is not even funny, it is just some really lovely stuff.

Old video from one of the CoD threads:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkb91iNn068

so mad/bad at video games :allears:

I never would have thought Borodin would go so well with video games.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

4533josh posted:

The reactions are better when they're from no-name streamers who think that they have a lot of internet cred.
See the aforementioned video ;)

Watch what you say here, the twitch admins are already on the case...

• Locked thread