Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Yip Yips posted:

What the hell were you guys doing to your controllers? I played the poo poo out of mine and they were still fine 5 years later.

The joystick was poo poo and would corrode over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Yip Yips posted:

What the hell were you guys doing to your controllers? I played the poo poo out of mine and they were still fine 5 years later.

Same. My N64 and Goldeneye alone had hundreds of hours of gameplay and I never had a controller fail. The only issue that ever came up was the joystick would loosen a bit over time and have a bigger deadzone in the center.

Now my 360 on the other hand, between the lovely D-pad and the RROD that killed 3 of my consoles, and a faulty disc drive that killed another (yes, I'm on my 5th 360), was a problem. For all of Nintendo's faults, build quality has never been one of them.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
I've never seen outright praise for the N64 controller. That analog stick was a piece of poo poo.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

We went trough like 5 controller at a friends house thanks to smash. The joysticks were poo poo and they'd just stop responding after a while. We went trough a lot of GC controllers too. In the end we gave away all our junked controllers to a group of people at the university to hand out to people that didn't bring their own, got new ones for ourselves and never lent them.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

leidend posted:

I got bored with my ps2 quickly and traded it in for an xbox that had superior versions of every cross-platform game. I loved it. It may not have sold as well but you didn't feel like you were missing out on much unless you loved Japanese games.
This is like saying "you aren't missing out on much, except like 80% of the games being produced at the time."

I liked my OG Xbox for its exclusives and better looking ports, but my PS2 was indispensable.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Almost Smart posted:

This is like saying "you aren't missing out on much, except like 80% of the games being produced at the time."

I liked my OG Xbox for its exclusives and better looking ports, but my PS2 was indispensable.

Remember this is the thread where someone claimed the Wii U has a better range of games than the PS3.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Yip Yips posted:

Did you own smash bros and play it in excess with some buddies? Those analog sticks got loving ruined. Gamecube controllers were definitely premium products, they were comfortable and built to last (I still have the first two GC controllers I ever bought with the console back in 2002 and they're basically in mint condition), but the N64 controller was a bad idea.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Edmund Honda posted:

Remember this is the thread where someone claimed the Wii U has a better range of games than the PS3.

Don't lump me in with that; all I said was the PS2 wasn't vastly better than the xbox if you don't like Japanese games. I know that's a tough thing for some goons to imagine but there are a lot of us who don't connect with them.

PS3 seemed to improve a lot and I'm having no trouble staying entertained on PS4 with BF4/AC4/NBA/FIFA, but there isn't a single Wii U game that I've been excited about.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

leidend posted:

Don't lump me in with that; all I said was the PS2 wasn't vastly better than the xbox if you don't like Japanese games. I know that's a tough thing for some goons to imagine but there are a lot of us who don't connect with them.

PS3 seemed to improve a lot and I'm having no trouble staying entertained on PS4 with BF4/AC4/NBA/FIFA, but there isn't a single Wii U game that I've been excited about.

Again, personal preference in games isn't really a part of the 'why WiiU is failing' argument. I could spend a year playing nothing but WiiU games and enjoying them if I bought one now.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

NeilPerry posted:

Again, personal preference in games isn't really a part of the 'why WiiU is failing' argument. I could spend a year playing nothing but WiiU games and enjoying them if I bought one now.

That's odd, I've had one for a year but I keep running out of things to do on it and it collects dust for months between major releases. Reminds me of the Wii...and the Gamecube..and the N64.

3DWorld is basically the perfect game but this is what should've been out at release. Many, many, many of the WiiU's problems would've been solved by waiting another year to release the console.

They would've had all these games available at launch, with Smash and Kart right around the corner. Now when people think "Wii U" they think "Failure" and it's going to be really hard to shake that image, even when those games come out.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

That's odd, I've had one for a year but I keep running out of things to do on it and it collects dust for months between major releases. Reminds me of the Wii...and the Gamecube..and the N64.

I'm not saying it's not lacking in games, just that 'I don't like what's on it' is the least of its issues. Even if it did have Mario Kart and Smash Bros already people would still decry its lack of games that appeal to them.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Bobnumerotres posted:

Did you own smash bros and play it in excess with some buddies? Those analog sticks got loving ruined. Gamecube controllers were definitely premium products, they were comfortable and built to last (I still have the first two GC controllers I ever bought with the console back in 2002 and they're basically in mint condition), but the N64 controller was a bad idea.

I did. Besides the common loose stick that someone mentioned I don't even know anyone that had a broken N64 controller.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

NeilPerry posted:

I'm not saying it's not lacking in games, just that 'I don't like what's on it' is the least of its issues. Even if it did have Mario Kart and Smash Bros already people would still decry its lack of games that appeal to them.

Well, when you think about it, it's kind of a big problem if pretty much the only deciding factor behind getting a console is "How much do I care about a couple of games?" and Nintendo definitely has this problem on the WiiU due to almost totally absent third party support.

I mean if someone told me they've played the various Marios, Metroids, and Zeldas and they just didn't care for them I'd try to rip off their facemask to reveal the reptile beneath. But if you don't think those games are a big deal, you have absolutely no reason to invest into a WiiU. It doesn't offer anything else.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Bobnumerotres posted:

I played the gently caress out of all these N64 games as a kid and I still have my original black controller and it works like new still. I even put it through hell in the first Mario Party with the tug of war bullshit!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
My N64 analog sticks were in close to perfect condition when I sold my N64. I also never owned a Mario Party game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
All of my N64 analog sticks are grinded down to poo poo. When I was younger I never knew what that white poo poo was on it. It wasn't until later that I realized it was the the analog stick grinding down from rubbing.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
Is the Wii U the next N64 analog stick

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Kewpuh posted:

No, the problems with the N64 analog stick only showed up when it got some use.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Yip Yips posted:

I did. Besides the common loose stick that someone mentioned I don't even know anyone that had a broken N64 controller.

The loose stick is the broken part though. :confused:

It's not like it just got a little loose and that's it, as the deadzone got bigger the max input shrunk. You could compare a new controller with an old one side-by-side and one guy would be moving twice as fast as the other.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Kewpuh posted:

Sony announces a new controller with two gigantic resistive touch screens.

Mr. Met
Jan 14, 2008

Personally I preferred the mixed nuts caper!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

My N64 analog sticks were in close to perfect condition when I sold my N64. I also never owned a Mario Party game.

Yeah, I think that one Mario Party mini-game where you had to rotate the stick as quickly as possible (and people figured out the best way to do it was with your palm) could single-handedly wreck a controller.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

They also sent out gloves to people getting blisters from Mario Party.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

blackguy32 posted:

They also sent out gloves to people getting blisters from Mario Party.

Then people realized the pro way to do it was to put the controller on your pant leg and rotate the controller, resulting in even more broken controllers.

Now that I remember, my N64 controllers were in a bit of a weakened state but my Superpad 64 was in perfect condition.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
To be honest I had more gamecube controllers go bad than n64 ones, the c stick would die or become inconsistent. The n64 analog stick was definitely a problem too but only one of my controllers ended up that way, I think I had 3 marginal gamecube controllers that no one wanted to use.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
The only controllers I outright busted were SNES controllers. I'd twist them in rage and step on them all the time. Then I matured so I take good care of my stuff now. I still own the same Gamecube controller and it's in perfect condition. I'm not a clean freak either. My Wii controllers always look like they need to be wiped down.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Kewpuh's point is that this discussion has nothing to do with the WiiU. Hell, half the posts in here aren't even about the WiiU. I'm struggling to find a reason to keep this thread around with how often it derails.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Louisgod posted:

Kewpuh's point is that this discussion has nothing to do with the WiiU. Hell, half the posts in here aren't even about the WiiU. I'm struggling to find a reason to keep this thread around with how often it derails.

It certainly keeps everyone with strong opinions about Nintendo in one place.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Don't NPD numbers come out today? That'll keep people on topic for half a page.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I've never broken a controller in my life, how do you people go through so many... and I owned the N64 Mario Party games

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Barudak posted:

Don't NPD numbers come out today? That'll keep people on topic for half a page.

Yah, leaks should get started around 6:30pm EST.

Could be an interesting one, the Wii U will probably be the closest it'll ever get to the Xbone and PS4 if it gets the normal Nov -> Dec bump and the other two are supply constrained.

Judging by the Japanese numbers, though, the Holiday bump will be shortlived and Wii U sales will be back in dumpster next month.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Crowbear posted:

Yah, leaks should get started around 6:30pm EST.

Could be an interesting one, the Wii U will probably be the closest it'll ever get to the Xbone and PS4 if it gets the normal Nov -> Dec bump and the other two are supply constrained.

Judging by the Japanese numbers, though, the Holiday bump will be shortlived and Wii U sales will be back in dumpster next month.

Yeah but the Japanese haven't gotten the PS4 yet.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Well I know quite a few people who picked up a WiiU, especially the SM3DW + NSMBU bundles for the value. Maybe for once a Nintendo console will do better in the west. It'd certainly be interesting to see what they do in response to an audience shift like that.

It's pretty alarming how lovely it's doing in Japan, though. Especially when the console launched with Mario and Monster Hunter over there.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

Well I know quite a few people who picked up a WiiU, especially the SM3DW + NSMBU bundles for the value. Maybe for once a Nintendo console will do better in the west. It'd certainly be interesting to see what they do in response to an audience shift like that.

It's pretty alarming how lovely it's doing in Japan, though. Especially when the console launched with Mario and Monster Hunter over there.

Not so sure about Mario but Monster Hunter has mostly been played on portables.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's doing much better in Japan than pretty much anywhere else in the world, though. Sales numbers over the holiday for the Wii U were actually even fairly decent in Japan, it just didn't last and now they've gone back to being terrible like everywhere else, but elsewhere didn't even have a short-lived Christmas bump of that size.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Speaking of Japanese sales, Siliconera posted its weekly sales report (via Media Create) yesterday, for the week of 1/6-1/12. Here's the article link.

WiiU Sales: 14,020, for a total of 1,590,721 units sold. I imagine part of this downturn is due to the end of the holiday season, and also the upcoming PS4 launch next month. Even if people can't buy the system, they can save money for one, after all.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

King of Solomon posted:

Speaking of Japanese sales, Siliconera posted its weekly sales report (via Media Create) yesterday, for the week of 1/6-1/12. Here's the article link.

WiiU Sales: 14,020, for a total of 1,590,721 units sold. I imagine part of this downturn is due to the end of the holiday season, and also the upcoming PS4 launch next month. Even if people can't buy the system, they can save money for one, after all.

Oh man Knack is bundled with every PS4 in Japan isn't it?

That means it automatically gets to outsell 3D World! Knack sure is a lucky boy.

Also the current NPD threads everywhere on the net are hungry for blood.

Viewtiful Jew fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 17, 2014

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
6 hours later someone finally leaked the Wii U number.

481k for December which is its best month ever, narrowly edging out December 2012, but is still really bad in the grand scheme of things (slightly better than the Dreamcast's second December, worse than the Gamecube's).

I guess on the bright side for the first month ever it outsold the PS3 which finally collapsed after 7 long years.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 17, 2014

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Sorry for the crude chart, I did not make it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Outsold by Xbox 360. Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
What are the 3DS numbers? All I am reading is that it "outsold all consoles" in December and 2013 as a whole.

• Locked thread