Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Correct, the FASA studios that exists currently is basically RedBrick Studios with a rebranding, Catalyst still owns the rights to Shadowrun and Battletech while nFASA has Earthdawn and maybe some other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
I finally got my physical copy of Hunters Hunter 2.
I was really excited when I first pledged, but I guess my excitement died as the wait drug on. Fortunately the book is pretty awesome!

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

My Machine of Death game arrived! :)

I gotta say it looks awfully snazzy. Time to play.

... Huh. So that game got permission from various webcomics to use? Was not expecting to see Homestuck in one of those decks.

Manifest posted:

I finally got my physical copy of Hunters Hunter 2.
I was really excited when I first pledged, but I guess my excitement died as the wait drug on. Fortunately the book is pretty awesome!

I got mine too! The metallic ink in the border of the pages is shiiineeeey...

... but my book arrived with a nasty bump across the middle of the book, warping both edges of the cover :(

It probably happened during transit, but I wouldn't know if it happened before it arrived to my box in the US or after it left it :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kerzoro posted:

... Huh. So that game got permission from various webcomics to use? Was not expecting to see Homestuck in one of those decks.

Yup, there's a ton of cross promotion with other Kickstarters, and just other cool internet poo poo. The book itself the game is based on is even a collection of short stories of some internet authors like Yahtzee.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Kerzoro posted:

A lot of card games, or at least games with cards in them and books seem to seek out web comic artists to make cards for them as draws, and in return they get further promotion to the readers of those comics. Sometimes it can be to some detriment, as anyone who recently got Tim Buckley to do some art and mentioned it excitedly in this thread discovered :ssh:

Story War was on at the same time and did the same thing, and they even crossed over with each other, and both with To Be or Not To Be

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 15, 2014

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
The guy who made the Machine of Death KS is also a reasonably well known web comic artist in his own right, so it was probably even easier for him.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Looks like Iron Edda War will be both Fate Core and Dungeon World, as most finer kickstarters are these days!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

8one6 posted:

So this just launched a few minutes ago and I'm pretty excited about it: Iron Edda: War of Metal and Bone.
It's a Fate-Core based Norse mecha setting where warriors bond themselves to the bones of giants to fight dwarven mecha. I interviewed the designer for my podcast and he has done a lot of planning and work on this. He has lined up a ton of fantastic designers for stretch goals like Paul Stefko, Cam Banks, and Joel Sparks. I especially like the way he's handling scale. And it has some great art.

After watching the video of him and his friends playing it I'm pretty firmly down. Never really used Fate before but this seems like something cool and unique enough to get my group into it with.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

dwarf74 posted:

Looks like Iron Edda War will be both Fate Core and Dungeon World, as most finer kickstarters are these days!

Until it hits d20 I'm not backing it...Seriously, I'm not backing it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Am I missing something on Iron Edda? It's $35 for the hardcopy+shipping in the US, but only $25 to ship the book outside the US? That seems backwards to me.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
The $25 level includes only the book, not shipping costs. Since drivethrurpg has printing facilities in the UK, it's cheaper that way for UK people.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Yup, there's a ton of cross promotion with other Kickstarters, and just other cool internet poo poo. The book itself the game is based on is even a collection of short stories of some internet authors like Yahtzee.
I read the first volume, Machine of Death, and it was suprisingly good. Many of the short stories took the premise in interesting directions, and really broke out of the "funny ironic death" mold that I was expecting from the collection. Definitely worth a read.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Am I missing something on Iron Edda? It's $35 for the hardcopy+shipping in the US, but only $25 to ship the book outside the US? That seems backwards to me.

It looked like the shipping will be paid later for the non-US backers, through DTRPG. I haven't seen a kickstarter do that before.

Slabtown Games and Robin Laws are getting in on the tablet gaming scene with StoryScape. It sounds pretty interesting: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/829385949/storyscape-digital-roleplaying-system

It sounds very ambitious, but a nicely integrated tablet/rules system does sound pretty appealing. I would like to see a bit more of the system they have in mind before committing to it, though.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

inklesspen posted:

The $25 level includes only the book, not shipping costs. Since drivethrurpg has printing facilities in the UK, it's cheaper that way for UK people.

quote:

INTERNATIONAL SPEARBEARER - A code to get the B&W softcover print from Drive-Thru RPG at-cost. Also includes the full-color PDF and any of the digital stretch goals that are unlocked. This tier is designed for International backers. Backers will pay for shipping when they place their order via DTRPG.

My reading is that the $25 level lets you buy it at-printing-cost from DTRPG, so you'll still be paying for printing the book and shipping after paying the $25.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
I haven't been here in a while, but I'm glad someone got talking about Iron Edda already. There is 18 different rule systems to be covered in it, if I remember the correct number, and each system will also have a different setting/take on the premise (Tracy wants 4 basic things to be in each version and beyond that the individual writers/teams have more or less free reign to take it in awesome directions). There will be d20 support - as well as a gamut of other stuff - if stretch goals hit, of more than one variety.

I have another project in mind that I want to boost here since I think the creator is a cool guy and I like his stuff, but it's not strictly gaming related (one of those where gaming and fiction meet kinda deals)... so maybe I should post it in the monthly discussion thread?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

My reading is that the $25 level lets you buy it at-printing-cost from DTRPG, so you'll still be paying for printing the book and shipping after paying the $25.

I think you get a coupon for printing on demand, so you just pay for shipping when you do it. It's a better deal for the EU people because DTRPG is in London.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
That's not what print at-cost means though (as someone who's sold a DTRPG PoD product in the past). Could someone seek clarification in the Kickstarter comments?

Edit: From the FAQ

quote:

YES! I'll be printing the stretch goal books through DTRPG the same as the core book. Each stretch goal book in softcover will be an additional $30 USD. If you're International, add another $20 for each book (you'll get a code and pay for printing and shipping yourself just like the core book, so the costs are equivalent).

UrbanLabyrinth fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 16, 2014

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Here's the tentative list of stretch goals for Iron Edda from the authors blog, by the way:

http://www.sandandsteam.net/2013/11/more-stuff-for-iron-edda/

Some of those look really strange, and placed rather oddly too. (Pendragon before Savage Worlds or Pathfinder? :psyduck:) Kinda want that Dread conversion, though.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Until it hits d20 I'm not backing it...Seriously, I'm not backing it.

Pathfinder is the $70k goal

Edit: Already answered.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Bummed out that the Dwarfs of Midgard is so high on the list it most likely won't be hit unless something nuts happens. Still, if I can use a suit made of giant bones or rune magic to go all Attack on Titan against a dwarf in a mech, I'm happy.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

NuclearPotato posted:

Here's the tentative list of stretch goals for Iron Edda from the authors blog, by the way:

Some of those look really strange, and placed rather oddly too. (Pendragon before Savage Worlds or Pathfinder? :psyduck:)

I'd think that has something to do with Cam Banks writing it, he's one of the bigger names on that list IMHO.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

NuclearPotato posted:

Some of those look really strange, and placed rather oddly too. (Pendragon before Savage Worlds or Pathfinder? :psyduck:) Kinda want that Dread conversion, though.

It's not that weird, they want fans of bigger systems to pledge more money as a group to get their systems. Nobody's going to TRY to hit a stretch goal at 70k for Pendragon, they might for Pathfinder.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'd way rather have viking versus dwarf robits in Pendragon than Pathfinder.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm a little worried that the guy they have lined up for the DW conversion isn't anyone who's done DW stuff before.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

I worry about anything with this many stretch goals, especially when it involves so many people and so many different systems.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
I'm tempted to jokingly ask about Maids of Iron and Bone or Edda Sky Stories, but they might say yes, and I have a lot on my plate already.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ewen Cluney posted:

I'm tempted to jokingly ask about Maids of Iron and Bone or Edda Sky Stories, but they might say yes, and I have a lot on my plate already.

Maids of Iron and Bone sounds awesome and you know it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Speaking of stretch goals that make me leery... Earthdawn 4e has put out a list with a whole lot of free physical goods like pins.

I have learned from other kickstarters what a terrible idea this is, and holy crap I'm thinking about dropping to a buck.

e: Holy mother of gently caress, there's a free t-shirt stretch goal. :psyduck: This is a man who has not thought poo poo through, and I don't think I trust him with my money anymore.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 16, 2014

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Mikan posted:

I worry about anything with this many stretch goals, especially when it involves so many people and so many different systems.

It depends how it's released. I'm working on the basis that the Fate Core will be solid because it's the one that was designed for. The Dungeon World will be an absolute turkey - new designer and system bandwagon. And there will be a couple of gems in the rough amongst the rest (Cam Banks will be very reliable I think even if I've never even owned Pendragon).

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I got my Futuristic Metal Coins in. They seem nice. Maybe a smidge smaller than I expected, but to be honest they were so far behind schedule I don't exactly recall how I had intended to use them in the first place, so… welp.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Oh, those actually got sent out, finally? Good to know, I'll be able to use them for Netrunner next week hopefully. :getin:

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

neonchameleon posted:

It depends how it's released. I'm working on the basis that the Fate Core will be solid because it's the one that was designed for. The Dungeon World will be an absolute turkey - new designer and system bandwagon. And there will be a couple of gems in the rough amongst the rest (Cam Banks will be very reliable I think even if I've never even owned Pendragon).

Working with that many authors and that many systems kills you with a million little demands, though. It's not quite so simple as reaching out to each person and then letting them do their own thing for the next four or five months. Each quick question, each clarification, each small request adds up. Before you know it you've lost a day of work to five minute problems.
That's even without assuming they'll commission art for each stretch goal, because art direction is one of the most time consuming parts of the process. (It also assumes nothing goes wrong during the process, which, uh, including that many people and that many projects you're tempting fate.)

I wish it well - I backed the previous KS for the novel and I know most of the people working on those stretch goals - but speaking from experience, stretching too far with stretchgoals is almost always a bad idea. (I've still got two more games to release as part of Last Stand thanks to a mixture of hype and inexperience.)

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Apropos of nothing, I keep reading Cam Banks as Carl Barks on my phone, and I keep imagining this in the Scrooge McDuck universe.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Fix posted:

I got my Futuristic Metal Coins in. They seem nice. Maybe a smidge smaller than I expected, but to be honest they were so far behind schedule I don't exactly recall how I had intended to use them in the first place, so… welp.

Still waiting on mine..

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

7thBatallion posted:

Still waiting on mine..

I messaged them two days ago since my wife got her set and I didn't get mine (Odd, given same pledge level, last name, and shipping address) and was told things were still being shipped out in waves.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh god the Earthdawn kickstarter continues to be :psyduck: and it's just a few days old.

Your pledge gets you free buttons, pins, custom mini, and t-shirts - all poo poo that's expensive to produce and ship, and which nobody gives a gently caress about.

But if you want a pdf funded by the campaign as a stretch goal, that's an extra $10. :v:

EDIT: Yeah, I just dropped my pledge level to $1. That's all the money I trust them with right now. I will see if it gets its head out of its rear end in some way, and maybe reconsider if so.

Instead, I found this to back:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1292093911/eldritch-skies-savage-worlds-edition

I like Savage Worlds, I like Cthulhu, and I like the idea of strange sci-fi. And it's a physical book and PDF for $25. It's not at its goal yet, though; I hope it can make it.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 17, 2014

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

dwarf74 posted:

Oh god the Earthdawn kickstarter continues to be :psyduck: and it's just a few days old.

Your pledge gets you free buttons, pins, custom mini, and t-shirts - all poo poo that's expensive to produce and ship, and which nobody gives a gently caress about.

But if you want a pdf funded by the campaign as a stretch goal, that's an extra $10. :v:

EDIT: Yeah, I just dropped my pledge level to $1. That's all the money I trust them with right now. I will see if it gets its head out of its rear end in some way, and maybe reconsider if so.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1292093911/eldritch-skies-savage-worlds-edition

I like Savage Worlds, I like Cthulhu, and I like the idea of strange sci-fi. And it's a physical book and PDF for $25. It's not at its goal yet, though; I hope it can make it.

I got in on the original Eldritch Skies KS. It is a non-skeevy Cthulhu in the future game. I really like Cinematic Unisystem though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Another sign of the apocalypse happened and GMS actually sent out a PDF preview of Far West.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

dwarf74 posted:

While I still think that this Kickstarter looks disastrous, buttons, pins, and shirts are relatively cheap to produce in even remotely large quantities, and not that expensive to ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I got in on the original Eldritch Skies KS. It is a non-skeevy Cthulhu in the future game. I really like Cinematic Unisystem though.
Yeah, I'm a big Savage Worlds fan. Good to know it's non skeevy.

I like Cinematic Unisystem, too, but missed this one the first time.

• Locked thread