Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

scary ghost dog posted:

What's up with that girl that follows the gang around in the first half of part 3?
Araki trying to cover the same ground as Baoh? I dunno, she was useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I completely forgot that girl even existed. She went into the same pocket dimension as the invisible baby, I guess.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Runaway Girl went back to her home planet.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I dunno. I thought it was kiiiiinda bullshit that Josuke wasn't the one to defeat Kira for realsies. Maybe he'll get more limelight the second time around.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I was fine with runaway girl, cus when you're going on a bighuge adventure like that you're bound to meet some people who don't have a big effect on the outcome of the adventure, but just add some interesting spice to the journey.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

HitTheTargets posted:

I dunno. I thought it was kiiiiinda bullshit that Josuke wasn't the one to defeat Kira for realsies. Maybe he'll get more limelight the second time around.

Well I mean come on, what's the guy gonna do, heal Kira to death? :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If Kira was undead, it would have worked, like in Final Fantasy.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Ezzer posted:

Well I mean come on, what's the guy gonna do, heal Kira to death? :v:

No, he would've fixed his watch

In his face, that is.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
He could have poked himself with the arrow and then Crazy Diamond would have become Crazy Diamond in the Flesh, with the ability to punch people people back from the dead or something.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Well when Kira poked himself he got Groundhog Day powers (relive the same day over again), so maybe Josuke would make people forget days.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

What I'm getting from all this is that any stand that powers up enough gets to mess with time.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Are you guys forgetting Crazy Diamond was just as good(if not better) at punching than Star Platinum?

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

I really enjoyed how Kira's defeat played out. Josuke's "You have finally entered... my effective range" and "Show me your... Killer Queen" gives it an old west standoff feel and he just dismantles Kira.

Come on next chapter of Jojolion.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013

RatHat posted:

Are you guys forgetting Crazy Diamond was just as good(if not better) at punching than Star Platinum?

I haven't read part four recently but didn't he heal yuuya so he could beat the gently caress out of him but not kill him?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Josuke healed Yuuya because Josuke will not beat up a crippled guy. Therefore, he made Yuuya cease to be crippled.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Broseph Brostar posted:

He could have poked himself with the arrow and then Crazy Diamond would have become Crazy Diamond in the Flesh, with the ability to punch people people back from the dead or something.

Was there supposed to be some sort of side effect for this? Considering Kira knew that stabbing himself with the arrow made him way stronger, I have to wonder why he didn't try doing it again. I know Part 5 explores poking the stand with it or something, but Kira himself got stabbed in the hand.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Momomo posted:

Was there supposed to be some sort of side effect for this?
The side effect is that you get bullshit stands like Gold Experience Requiem.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Momomo posted:

Was there supposed to be some sort of side effect for this? Considering Kira knew that stabbing himself with the arrow made him way stronger, I have to wonder why he didn't try doing it again. I know Part 5 explores poking the stand with it or something, but Kira himself got stabbed in the hand.

I think there is a possibility of it just stabbing you. Added on most people don't tend to think of stabbing them selves as a way to power up.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Schubalts posted:

Josuke healed Yuuya because Josuke will not beat up a crippled guy. Therefore, he made Yuuya cease to be crippled.

it's also his strongest super in All Star Battle and it's badass as gently caress. Heals the enemy to full HP then beats them up more than they already were.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Soulcleaver posted:

I used to say I was gonna wait for the re-translation before re-reading parts 4 and 5 but it's been years since they started and there's no progress in sight. Why can't manga translation groups ever keep it together? :smith:

If it makes you feel better, they cover most of the parts that were badly translated, so at the point where they cut off, the quality doesn't take much of a dip.

Part 3 is probably the worst though, it's mostly badly scanned pages/bad font near he end if I remember right.

I read through the entire series this year (up to jojolion) and it wasn't too bad, so I just say go for it.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think there is a possibility of it just stabbing you. Added on most people don't tend to think of stabbing them selves as a way to power up.

The Arrows gives different power ups depending on who gets stabbed. A normal person would usually bleed to death, like Koichi. The only reason he's alive is because Josuke saved him, making Koichi a unique case. A person with potential awakens their Stand faster than they would have, most likely the Nijimura brothers. A Stand user will have their powers get stronger, like Kira. However, their stand remains the same.

When a stand gets stabbed with the arrow, like Giorno, it becomes a Requiem (a la Gold Experience Requiem). It becomes a different Stand all together, and most likely, the stand gains a conscious of its own. This is the case with Polnareff, where his stand went berserk. It's different from Kira's case, because he still retained his stand, albeit with a stronger and more unique ability.

e: Also, there's Nu. He's a very unique case where the arrow outright refuses. Araki never mentions why.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Soulcleaver posted:

The side effect is that you get bullshit stands like Gold Experience Requiem.

Hey, Bites the Dust getting beaten shows that GER can have flaws. We'll never see them, but still... :v:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

GER's power is to cancel any action, so to beat it you have to not do anything.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

Agreed, but I want Yasuho to have a big hand in the main villain's defeat. Like, she starts out not even knowing she has a Stand, and slowly improves until she ends up so skilled that she manages to get some good shots in on Josuke's time-loving nemesis.

Speaking of which, what time powers can Araki choose for Part 8's big bad? We've got freezing, rewinding, skipping, accelerating, and picking other selves from different timelines so far.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The part 8 time power will be nostalgia.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Stairmaster posted:

Following this, the villain of Part 8 will be a survivor of the old universe who is eternally insisting that everything was better in his universe. A la Superboy Prime.

Actually, Superboy Prime is terrible, so I hope Araki doesn't raid DC comics for ideas.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Stairmaster posted:

Ah, but Josuke's amnesia makes him immune! Classic Araki.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Maremidon posted:

Following this, the villain of Part 8 will be a survivor of the old universe who is eternally insisting that everything was better in his universe. A la Superboy Prime.

Actually, Superboy Prime is terrible, so I hope Araki doesn't raid DC comics for ideas.

So GER really WASN'T affected by Stairway!

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!
I don't see why people want a certain character to have some more spotlight in Part 4. The way I see it, Kira met a fitting end to the arc: surrounded by Stand Users of Moricho who stood united against this psychopath. And let's be honest here, the ambulance dealt the final blow, not Jotaro. Or even the ghosts if we want to specific.

Part 4 is a mystery arc, not a battle arc. The point is to catch and stop the main evil, not beat them to a pulp like in other arcs. Speaking of which, I really like how Part 8 is turning out: this time around, the main character is probably the main evil and the non-apparent community of Moricho is secretly finding a way to dispose the new Jo2uke.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

So GER really WASN'T affected by Stairway!

I've never been a fan of this idea. Everyone else in Jojo who acquires seemingly ultimate power eventually loses anyway; Giorno shouldn't be an exception.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Giorno suffered the greatest loss of all: he became so overpowered he could never again appear in the plot.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Now he knows how Fugo feels.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Didn't Giorno lose Requiem at the end of Part 5 anyway for reasons?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Aurora posted:

Didn't Giorno lose Requiem at the end of Part 5 anyway for reasons?

The arrow fell out of his stand after he beat Diavolo.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I'm sure he kept the arrow, though. I can't see him just throwing it away, especially once becoming the new boss.

Cuz, you know, mafia bosses tend to make enemies.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I'm sure he kept the arrow, though. I can't see him just throwing it away, especially once becoming the new boss.

Cuz, you know, mafia bosses tend to make enemies.

He gave it to Polneraff and they put in the turtle so it could not be used by anyone

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

MonsterEnvy posted:

He gave it to Polneraff and they put in the turtle so it could not be used by anyone
Wasn't Polneraff was the turtle at that point?

E: no I forgot, he now lives in the turtle

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
If Giorno ever wants to use GER again he just has to walk two steps over to Polneraff and grab it. Though there's really no indication that he needs the arrow in his stand to activate Requiem, since Requiem stands are weird and very poorly explained.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

BlitzBlast posted:

If Giorno ever wants to use GER again he just has to walk two steps over to Polneraff and grab it. Though there's really no indication that he needs the arrow in his stand to activate Requiem, since Requiem stands are weird and very poorly explained.
Or he stabs Gold Experience with the arrowhead and gets a completely new stand, Ecstasy of Gold Experience Requiem, which has a completely different set of ludicrous powers. :frogsiren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Supersonic Shine posted:

Agreed, but I want Yasuho to have a big hand in the main villain's defeat. Like, she starts out not even knowing she has a Stand, and slowly improves until she ends up so skilled that she manages to get some good shots in on Josuke's time-loving nemesis.

I'd like to see Yasuho planning and directing the entire takedown with Josuke and his allies doing the grunt work. Yasuho seems to have the potential for becoming a real badass tactician once she learns how to control her Stand.

Soulcleaver posted:

Or he stabs Gold Experience with the arrowhead and gets a completely new stand, Ecstasy of Gold Experience Requiem, which has a completely different set of ludicrous powers. :frogsiren:

Ecstasy of Gold Experience Requiem gives the opponent an irresistable compulsion to put on a cowboy hat and listen to country&western.

• Locked thread