Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Custom fonts have been changed a bit in v32 it seems (this might just be a Win7 thing). If you bold something with a custom font, it will sometimes give it a shadowy effect, but unfortunately just ends up looking blurry.

This seems to be dependent on the size of the font, so big letters don't look bad. Maybe it's trying to do a half pixel kinda thing that just doesn't work out too well.

Also form elements have new styles, so if you're a webdev, make sure to check your stuff still looks ok. (the new :focus outline was the only thing that conflicted with some styling I made on inputs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

obstipator posted:

Custom fonts have been changed a bit in v32 it seems (this might just be a Win7 thing). If you bold something with a custom font, it will sometimes give it a shadowy effect, but unfortunately just ends up looking blurry.

This seems to be dependent on the size of the font, so big letters don't look bad. Maybe it's trying to do a half pixel kinda thing that just doesn't work out too well.

Also form elements have new styles, so if you're a webdev, make sure to check your stuff still looks ok. (the new :focus outline was the only thing that conflicted with some styling I made on inputs)

Yeah, and the forms are still styled somewhat inconsistently, at least on Windows. And that's frustrating to me because the Web is Google's bread-and-butter; they should appreciate what a pain in the rear end it is to make them style nicely. I'm wondering if the blurriness might be something to do with better support for pixel-doubled displays? Either that, or possibly the font doesn't have a bold weight, and maybe they've changed the technique to fudge boldness?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Any chance of some advice on how to get the old scroll bars back? It's not that I hate change or anything, it's just that I fear change. Specifically, changes that are fuckin' moronic. Like, I get that browsers are basically just rectangles that the internet comes at you in and you need to make yours different from the other guys but isn't there a way that you could, you know, not gently caress with scroll bars? They're operating system native. Still, I guess that the crack team of UI designers gotta do something even if that something is just a bit poo poo.

At the very least it'd be nice if the rocker scroll wheel I have would work and let me click left and right on pages like it does in, you know, every other application with a scroll bar I have.

Sion fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 14, 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Chrome on Windows 8 in "Windows 8 Mode" basically turns your Windows PC into a Chrome OS machine. I actually kind of like it. http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/14/5309326/google-chrome-windows-update-chrome-os-interface

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

teagone posted:

Chrome on Windows 8 in "Windows 8 Mode" basically turns your Windows PC into a Chrome OS machine. I actually kind of like it. http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/14/5309326/google-chrome-windows-update-chrome-os-interface

It's never done anything for me (exits and does nothing).

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2762879?hl=en

So, apparently it considers 1920x1200 "high resolution".

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Sion posted:

Any chance of some advice on how to get the old scroll bars back? It's not that I hate change or anything, it's just that I fear change. Specifically, changes that are fuckin' moronic. Like, I get that browsers are basically just rectangles that the internet comes at you in and you need to make yours different from the other guys but isn't there a way that you could, you know, not gently caress with scroll bars? They're operating system native. Still, I guess that the crack team of UI designers gotta do something even if that something is just a bit poo poo.

At the very least it'd be nice if the rocker scroll wheel I have would work and let me click left and right on pages like it does in, you know, every other application with a scroll bar I have.

gently caress these changes. The scroll bars are WAY harder to make out against white (almost impossible at a glance) and the side-to-side mousewheel movement does not scroll anymore.

beanofan69
Mar 26, 2005

by Ralp

Michael Scott posted:

and the side-to-side mousewheel movement does not scroll anymore.

How is this something that goes un-noticed and accepted? It's awful

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

beanofan69 posted:

How is this something that goes un-noticed and accepted? It's awful

Nope, it's gone noticed. This is as designed, apparently. :downsrim:

Michael Scott posted:

gently caress these changes. The scroll bars are WAY harder to make out against white (almost impossible at a glance) and the side-to-side mousewheel movement does not scroll anymore.

There was a reason put up on the google support page about the colorisation change was because apparently 'most websites have a color that run to the edges of the screen now.' You know, like how Something Awful, Reddit, Google Search and so one all have colors that reach the edge of the screen thus allowing for easy differentiation between webpage and scroll bar.

Basically what I am saying is that this is loving stupid and I'm still mad at it.

Some UI Guy with an @chromium posted:

It's really clear what people's problems with the scrollbars are at this point, so I'm closing the bug to further comments pending some kind of update from the UI leads on what changes we want to make when.

laff

Sion fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jan 15, 2014

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Anybody else having a problem like this? It's really annoying.

1. Click on my Chrome "application shortcut" for gmail and login
2. Click on my Chrome shortcut to open up a normal chrome window
3. Now if I close the normal Chrome window, it logs me out of gmail on the other window.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Sion posted:

Nope, it's gone noticed. This is as designed, apparently. :downsrim:

There was a reason put up on the google support page about the colorisation change was because apparently 'most websites have a color that run to the edges of the screen now.' You know, like how Something Awful, Reddit, Google Search and so one all have colors that reach the edge of the screen thus allowing for easy differentiation between webpage and scroll bar.

Basically what I am saying is that this is loving stupid and I'm still mad at it.

laff

Also inexcusable - the scroll bars are buggy. One of my coworkers and I noticed that, for whatever reason, we were unable to scroll with them on SELECT lists in our internal time logging utility. Why? Who knows. But, since I can't click and drag on the scroll bar, and since the up/down buttons are gone, the only way we can scroll in those SELECT lists is to use the mouse wheel or type the start of what we want to select. Brilliant, Google.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Is anyone else having a problem getting videos to play after the most recent update? I'll just get a black box instead of a working video. If I go to the youtube site and get the video directly it can work, but otherwise nothing. Same with if I click a link to a PDF, very slow, often won't open.

I went to chrome://plugins and clicked to enable all of them, but no change. Any suggestions?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Fried Chicken posted:

Is anyone else having a problem getting videos to play after the most recent update? I'll just get a black box instead of a working video. If I go to the youtube site and get the video directly it can work, but otherwise nothing. Same with if I click a link to a PDF, very slow, often won't open.

I went to chrome://plugins and clicked to enable all of them, but no change. Any suggestions?

Resize the window.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

dpbjinc posted:

Resize the window.

That doesn't do anything.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
I like having Chrome sync my open tabs etc across devices, but I want to use different extensions on my MacBook vs my Windows desktop. Is there a way I can disable an extension on my MacBook while leaving it operating on my PC?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

tractor fanatic posted:

I like having Chrome sync my open tabs etc across devices, but I want to use different extensions on my MacBook vs my Windows desktop. Is there a way I can disable an extension on my MacBook while leaving it operating on my PC?

Settings > Advanced sync settings

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
In the beta of chrome, and now, everytime I open my browser, I get told I should disable my extensions that are running in developer mode to be safe and they have an ugly orange background around them? Any way to tell Chrome to shut up and stop doing this?

e: I just installed the dev channel and it went away. I guess google expects people on the dev channel to know what the hell extensions are and stuff.

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 19, 2014

Vrih
Apr 4, 2004
:)

Blue Moonlight posted:

Also inexcusable - the scroll bars are buggy. One of my coworkers and I noticed that, for whatever reason, we were unable to scroll with them on SELECT lists in our internal time logging utility. Why? Who knows. But, since I can't click and drag on the scroll bar, and since the up/down buttons are gone, the only way we can scroll in those SELECT lists is to use the mouse wheel or type the start of what we want to select. Brilliant, Google.

Absolutely this. I had to put out a company wide email on Friday explaining that our internal webapp isn't 'broken' and that this might not be a bug in Chrome so you better find another way to work with it. Not being able to drag on the scroll bar is completely moronic.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I can still grab and drag my scroll bars, are you guys saying you can't interact with the scroll bars at all with the mouse?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

beejay posted:

I can still grab and drag my scroll bars, are you guys saying you can't interact with the scroll bars at all with the mouse?

It's not consistent - thus far, I've only experienced it on some scroll bars on SELECT elements. I don't think I tried clicking on the track to get it to scroll to that point in the list, but I definitely can't click-and-drag the scroll bar itself. Mouse wheel works, so that's the "workaround" for now.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, it's really looking like they committed buggy code to stable. I can't move scrollbars on <select>s on Chrome 32.0.1700.76 m, on Win7

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=334522

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

obstipator posted:

Yeah, it's really looking like they committed buggy code to stable. I can't move scrollbars on <select>s on Chrome 32.0.1700.76 m, on Win7

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=334522

I love how the 'what the gently caress did you do to the scroll bars' and 'how the gently caress did you break this' comment threads have basically been pruned by some @chromium who is like 'yeah we know about this please stop hitting us in the face'

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Sion posted:

I love how the 'what the gently caress did you do to the scroll bars' and 'how the gently caress did you break this' comment threads have basically been pruned by some @chromium who is like 'yeah we know about this please stop hitting us in the face'

As a developer, I could empathize with them. Sometimes, things sneak through into production that are pretty embarrassing. But of all the things they could be working on, new scroll bars should roughly be below the bottom of the list. And yet, here we are, with new scroll bars that are demonstrably less usable than virtually every OS native scroll bar control when it works correctly, and there are situations that it does not.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Windows has an identity. Mac has an identity. So do the various linux distributions.

Theory: they changed the scrollbars to make that the native style for Chrome OS. Grain of sand and all that, but yeah.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
When I first tried chrome I wanted to be able to skin it so the entire theme was black, including the scroll bar (no dice). Have they accomplished this with this latest shameful failure?

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

crestfallen posted:

Windows has an identity. Mac has an identity. So do the various linux distributions.

Theory: they changed the scrollbars to make that the native style for Chrome OS. Grain of sand and all that, but yeah.
They want Google Chrome to look the same across environments. Part of this release had this:

quote:

Windows only: Chrome Windows users will notice that the scrollbars have changed to look similar to the style of Chrome in Metro mode. The cleaner look helps make Chrome’s style more consistent across different environments.

Google for better or worse is a brand I guess just like Apple and MS.

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of value in the public being able to see how the system works.

Thermopyle posted:

More and more extensions are starting to do lovely things and it's getting frustrating. The Window Resizer extension which is nice to use for web dev work just started redirecting google search results through ecosia.org. That's a nice, charitable type of cause, but it's a lovely thing to start doing. Especially since right now ecosia.org isn't working right causing all links on a Google search page to not work.

So, basically, every time one of my dozen or so extensions update I've got to look at a google searches, ads, shopping sites, etc to see what kinds of ads they're inserting or what links they're redirecting.

Bah to you, extension authors. Bah!

Just a heads up that this is very much A Thing that a few tech sites have started picking up on this weekend. It turns out advertisers will throw a four(+)-figure number at a small, semi-popular extension developer, purchase the rights, then inject their own ad-serving link-redirecting code into it. This includes some very popular extensions, like Hola Unblocker, HoverZoom, and Mail Checker Plus (but seemingly NOT the Checker Plus SurgicalOntologist recommended last month).

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/01/malware-vendors-buy-chrome-extensions-to-send-adware-filled-updates/
http://lifehacker.com/many-browser-extensions-have-become-adware-or-malware-1505117457/
http://discuss.howtogeek.com/t/warning-your-browser-extensions-are-spying-on-you/12394

That last link has a list of extensions that have, at one point or another, been observed performing this shady behavior. There's even a couple Firefox add-ons in there, too. Time for an audit!

Edit: Alereon brought this up in the Firefox thread

Judge Ito Boxing fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 21, 2014

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
gently caress you HoverZoom.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Is it just the affiliate ads for HoverZoom, or did they find something else? You can turn the ads off in the options. There's also an option to turn off some sort of data collection.

I turned both those options off a long, long time ago. Is there something else I need to be worried about?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

crestfallen posted:

Is it just the affiliate ads for HoverZoom, or did they find something else? You can turn the ads off in the options. There's also an option to turn off some sort of data collection.

I turned both those options off a long, long time ago. Is there something else I need to be worried about?

Until sometime in June, any extensions that were in the Chrome store before the new extension policy went into place can be sold off to adware companies and updated without your knowledge to include ad-spawning code. After June, the Web Store policy will effectively prohibit adware in all extensions, and it already prohibits it in new extensions.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, this new Chrome 32 is really buggy for me. I don't know if it's the scroll bar stuff, but I am getting a lot of pages coming up blank white screens, and then I have to resize the window to get the content to show up.

Edit: Ha, it happened on this page after I posted and it went to refresh. Bravo.

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=325309

smackfu fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 21, 2014

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

smackfu posted:

Wow, this new Chrome 32 is really buggy for me. I don't know if it's the scroll bar stuff, but I am getting a lot of pages coming up blank white screens, and then I have to resize the window to get the content to show up.

Edit: Ha, it happened on this page after I posted and it went to refresh. Bravo.

Yeah, been seeing that checkerbox pattern a lot lately.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

dpbjinc posted:

Until sometime in June, any extensions that were in the Chrome store before the new extension policy went into place can be sold off to adware companies and updated without your knowledge to include ad-spawning code. After June, the Web Store policy will effectively prohibit adware in all extensions, and it already prohibits it in new extensions.
I understand the issue completely. You didn't actually answer anything I asked.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Is Chrome messenger a thing? Or do I have adware on my computer? :downs:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

smackfu posted:

Turns out I had some of the flags set to non-default values, and some of those values that used to work now break Chrome on Windows as of v32. So if you don't think you have any special flags set, it might be worth going to chrome://flags/ and doing a reset.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Facebook CSS is broke on this version and BBC Radio Player downloads rather than plays embedded.

I'm gonna try thatr eset and see how it goes.

Edit: Nope!

Edit2: Adblock seems to be loving with Facebook. Not sure why the bbc radio player is screwed.

uninstall Chrome completely and reinstall.

WastedJoker fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 24, 2014

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
What the gently caress have they done? Can't even sync with my account with a fresh install.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

WastedJoker posted:

What the gently caress have they done? Can't even sync with my account with a fresh install.

Could it be that most Google services went down around 2pm EST? They appear to be coming back up now.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

WastedJoker posted:

Google services was briefly out of commission for a few minutes there. I know messenger wasn't working so maybe that could be affecting your sync thing too.

e;fb

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

^^^^ That must've been it.

Chrome still downloads a .pls file rather than play BBC Radioplayer. not sure how to fix it but if I drag link to new tab it works. Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Dev channel Chrome has a flag for DirectWrite now. Seems to work OK, don't see much of a difference, because you can't select any of the alternative antialiasing modes, including 2D ClearType.