Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Speaking of sandbox games, how is Lego City Undercover? My wife is a huge fan of the Lego games, and I'd like to justify somehow that the Wii U was bought so it could be fun for both of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Muffinlord posted:

Speaking of sandbox games, how is Lego City Undercover? My wife is a huge fan of the Lego games, and I'd like to justify somehow that the Wii U was bought so it could be fun for both of us.

It's wonderful, go buy it.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The Muffinlord posted:

It is one of the best Lego games to date imo. If your wife likes past titles then buy it.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

The Muffinlord posted:

I picked it up for my wife as well. Here's her review, based on the things she said to me while she was playing: "No manual saves in the open world. Crashes about as often as the other Lego games. Load times long enough to read a book. You can shoot pigs out of canons!" I picked it up for $40 and traded it back in for $20. I'd say she got $20 worth of entertainment out of it, absolutely.

Oh, just know that there is NO multiplayer, unlike the other Lego games. It's one player, with the gamepad, and that's it. If you want a Lego game you can both play like all the others, look into the Lego Marvel game that just came out.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

The Muffinlord posted:

It is so good that upon beating it I immediately went out and bought the 3DS version.

Then I beat that.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Does it still have extremely long load times? Did they ever patch it up?

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Nope, load times are a pain. It's otherwise a surprisingly fun, surprisingly humorous game.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Get Lego Marvel for a better version of Lego City with offtv coop so two people can do separate missions. Makes the wii u version worth it, and it looks good.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

"Hello? Ma! I told you not to call me here I'm making a movie!"

It's a crime, a freaking crime that these guys aren't in more games with speaking lines.

I am convinced that over half of Mario Power Tennis' budget went into the intro and fake bloopers. Totally worth it.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

So why don't they have their own game series already?

Next RPG should be Wario & Waluigi, since playing as Bowser was 90% of the reason the 3rd one was awesome, and not playing as Wario and Waluigi was 90% of the reason the 4th one wasn't so awesome.

We should absolutely have a Mario & Luigi spinoff titled Wario & Waluigi: Partners in Crime. It's a shame it'll probably never happen.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

bushisms.txt posted:

Get Lego Marvel for a better version of Lego City

There's no Columbo jokes in Lego Marvel so this is false... unless they let you ride the Spider Buggy with Johnny Storm. Then it's a tie.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Lego City was fantastic and I had sworn off lego games since the Star Wars games. Loading does suck, but once it loads for the mission or in the sandbox world there is no more loading until the next mission if I remember correctly, and I never had the game crash once.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Commissar Ken posted:

There's no Columbo jokes in Lego Marvel so this is false... unless they let you ride the Spider Buggy with Johnny Storm. Then it's a tie.

The only bad thing I have to say about Lego City (save for the load times) is that the T-Rex Skeleton isn't an unlockable vehicle (you only get to use it once in a mission). Someone hosed up big time on that :rant:.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The only bad thing I have to say about Lego City (save for the load times) is that the T-Rex Skeleton isn't an unlockable vehicle (you only get to use it once in a mission). Someone hosed up big time on that :rant:.

This. I remember that being the big picture to be like "Look at this game!" and that part WAS fun but yeah i'd have liked to have hosed around with it 24/7. I can still dress as an Indian Chief in a wheelchair and jump off poo poo so it's still goofy but oh what could have been.

And yeah the initial load time and anytime you go to the Police Station are god awful. Didn't think i'd see load times that bad this far past the PSP but at least it loads the whole city. I just made sure never to go back to the police station unless I had a ton of poo poo to unlock.

eating_instructions
Oct 25, 2005
1) Twist it. 2) Lick the cream. 3) Dunk it in the milk? 4) AGGHHH IT BURNS!
One of the worst parts about the Lego City Undercover loading times is that there's one for the bloody opening menu! Boot game, huge load time. Press start on your save a few seconds after that has finished and another huge load time. What the hell was the first one for? Loading the animations that run in the background of the start screen? Arg.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
How huge are you folks talking? Are we talking Chrono Trigger for PSX?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It's a pretty big load :cumpolice:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

30 seconds to a minute for the initial load and going into the Police Station, 90 to 120 seconds for loading the city. However, as stated it loads the entire city, so do whatever you want, go back to the Police Station to pay for the poo poo you unlocked, and you only have to sit through the big loads twice for each play session.

E: Also for what it's worth, I've never had it crash on me in 40+ hours.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

90-120 seconds is about how much I wait for each loving BF4 map to load and I have 8GB of DDR3 RAM.

I guess I could tolerate that but many have said Marvel Heroes improves upon the formula so much, it's also running on a prettier updated engine and available on PC for cheap. I'm just not gonna have a reason to boot up my WiiU until Donkey Kong comes out. Or maybe if I can find ZombiU/RE-revelations for an absurdly low price.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

90-120 seconds is about how much I wait for each loving BF4 map to load and I have 8GB of DDR3 RAM.

I guess I could tolerate that but many have said Marvel Heroes improves upon the formula so much, it's also running on a prettier updated engine and available on PC for cheap. I'm just not gonna have a reason to boot up my WiiU until Donkey Kong comes out. Or maybe if I can find ZombiU/RE-revelations for an absurdly low price.

Believe me, the wii u coop is worth the premium. Being able to run a mission in the huge open world on the gamepad, while someone runs a different mission, somewhere else in the city, on the TV, is pretty great

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

They're longer than you'd expect, but not actually that long if you time them or compare them to a contemporary sandboxy game or even today's shooters. What's confusing is the initial menu load time which is much longer than you'd expect, no idea what all it's loading.

Once you're in the city there's no load times, although if you go "indoors" to a mission area it has a loadscreen to get you there and back.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Is the load time any better on the download version? I'm sold except for that.

Akaadji
Nov 7, 2008
Got Pikmin 3 today as an early birthday present. Just as pretty as I expected it to be, but after all this time drat do I suck. Lost a bunch of pikmin on the first boss. Game is great so far, though I do miss being able to swarm my pikmin around things with the right stick. Are the DLC things worth it?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Akaadji posted:

Got Pikmin 3 today as an early birthday present. Just as pretty as I expected it to be, but after all this time drat do I suck. Lost a bunch of pikmin on the first boss. Game is great so far, though I do miss being able to swarm my pikmin around things with the right stick. Are the DLC things worth it?

The two $1.99 DLC packs are remixed versions of existing stages, while the $4.99 DLC pack is all-new stages. They're quite tough and the new stages are really neat, so if you're into mission mode they're definitely worth getting.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

My god Champion's Road was absolutely grueling, I can't believe I actually managed to beat it.

Great game.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
NDP stuff is trickling in very, very slowly.

So far the most interesting news I've found is that Rayman sold approx. 88,000 on the Wii U, which means it did better than its iterations on the 360 and PS3 (42K and 30K).

Lego City sold 242,000 copies, Pikmin 3 sold 210,000 and Wonderful 101 sold 49,000.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

NDP stuff is trickling in very, very slowly.

So far the most interesting news I've found is that Rayman sold approx. 88,000 on the Wii U, which means it did better than its iterations on the 360 and PS3 (42K and 30K).

Lego City sold 242,000 copies, Pikmin 3 sold 210,000 and Wonderful 101 sold 49,000.
Ubisoft left a lot of money on the table by holding back the Wii U version. Underrated worst company this generation.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah I feel safe to say if they had released it during the January-February drought, the amount of extra WiiU units moved plus the (presumed) reduced amount of 360 and PS3 units moved would have definitely been greater than the amount they ended up with.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Wonderful 101 sold 49,000.

I totally expected that but it still hurts. The best game. :smith:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Commissar Ken posted:

To be honest I have my doubts on the game actually costing a ton to make. I mean it ain't like the old days where Sunsoft could make a lovely Taz game and if it sold 50,000 copies they at least paid for the licensing. Kamiya was saying he hopes to add Mii integration in a W102, which makes me wonder if Nintendo just likes having him make games for them. If we end up hearing about a Wonderful 102, I wouldn't be surprised if the announcement after is Nintendo buying Platinum.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

the announcement after is Nintendo buying Platinum.

That would be the worst announcement ever.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It spent three years in development and during full production it had a team 50% larger than the one that made Bayonetta, so while it might not have cost as much as Assassin's Creed or whatever, it definitely didn't make its money back.

Nintendo did a particularly bad job with marketing, of course, but it sounds like they barely even knew what the game was until a few months before the game was due to launch, so...

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Edit: Welp, nevermind. Paper Jam Dipper covered exactly what I said.

That said, i'd be cool with Nintendo funding a sequel. They aren't exactly swimming in upcoming releases at the moment or anything.

Crawfish fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 17, 2014

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nintendo did a particularly bad job with marketing, of course, but it sounds like they barely even knew what the game was until a few months before the game was due to launch, so...

This is maybe one of the most poorly marketed games of all time. My household just got a Wii U and I somehow thought that Wonderful 101 was a Skylanders-type thing (I barely know what Skylanders is) - one of those things aimed at 9-year-olds with tie-in toys or cards that you have to buy and stuff. I just downloaded the demo and it's beautiful and I'll be buying it immediately. I loved Viewtiful Joe back in the day.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
On the bright side NPD doesn't count digital sales so maybe W101 actually broke 50K altogether v :( v

TaurusOxford posted:

That would be the worst announcement ever.
That's a funny way of spelling best.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Commissar Ken posted:

For anybody that doesn't own this yet, its down to $23.99 on Amazon.com right now. It is a crime to not pick it up for that.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Lego City sold 242,000 copies

Chances that this is enough to warrant a sequel and/or DLC missions?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'd imagine the developers have long since moved on, and as far as I know the game was financed by Nintendo, so if they had any plans for additional content we'd probably know about 'em by now.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Is there supposed to be a direct today?

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections

greatn posted:

Is there supposed to be a direct today?

Yes. If you can speak Korean only though

http://www.nintendo.co.kr/nintendo_direct/index.html#140117_m4

Adbot