Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

I hope this story goes on forever.

Look at those smug frogs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Pakled posted:

Also, the February 14th, 1918 edition of the Tacoma Times included this.

The Tuscania Disaster

:(

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Mmann posted:

When someone asks if you're a god, you say yes.

But I do seriously hope that's exactly where this is going, and as the rulers they have to battle the frogs for control of it.
A poorly drawn magic battle that takes weeks to complete and is confusing as poo poo of course, because I wouldn't want Mandrake any other way.
That will just get them to kill you so they can declare themselves the new gods.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Midnight Moth posted:

That will just get them to kill you so they can declare themselves the new gods.

If they ask if you're a god they're probably planning to kill you anyway. Might as well take the outside bet in hopes they're willing to speak to a god. :colbert:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Non Sequitur

I smiled at this. Having been an IT manager for a health insurance company aways back, at that time, I can tell you that we would do everything possible to not pay your claim. Don't yell at me. I just made the computers run right! :v:

As a hospital insurance biller, not a day goes by that I don't wish insurance company employees to contract a flesh-eating virus and die in a fire while being eaten by wolves.

Anyway, content:

Plugger category: decrepit

I laughed.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

I don't care how many times it's said, The Creeps is the best.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

^^ Womanizing!

Mister Kingdom posted:

As a hospital insurance biller, not a day goes by that I don't wish insurance company employees to contract a flesh-eating virus and die in a fire while being eaten by wolves.

I did some of that as a temp and hearing that it was their job to try to not pay claims really opened my eyes. Depressing!

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

:stonklol:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Borden posted:

Classic Nancy (1949)

Where are you getting these? They're slightly different versions of daily strips that, according the the Fantagraphics Bushmiller anthologies, originally ran (in this case) in 1945 (the individual dailies in this case are dated February 21 and February 22).

Edit: The strips in question as they appear in the Fantagraphics book:

SubG fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 17, 2014

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

SubG posted:

Where are you getting these? They're slightly different versions of daily strips that, according the the Fantagraphics Bushmiller anthologies, originally ran (in this case) in 1945 (the individual dailies in this case are dated February 21 and February 22).

Edit: The strips in question as they appear in the Fantagraphics book:

I got them here.
http://www.bigblogcomics.com/2010/01/sparkle-comics-nancy-by-ernie.html

Do you have a copy of the Nancy anthology?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Crosleys are poo poo and will ruin your records. They don't even look that much like vintage stereo equipment. Get on my loving level, shitler.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
That's interesting because those are all the same strips, more or less, as the dailies but they've obviously been re-drawn. And not just cropped or something, because, for example, the background skeletons in the first panel of the second strip are spaced differently in the daily than in the Sparkle Comics version.

Borden posted:

Do you have a copy of the Nancy anthology?
I have the two volumes they've published so far---Nancy Is Happy, which is the dailies from 1943-1945, and Nancy Like Christmas, the dailies from 1946-1948. They've got the rights to the first 24 years of Nancy, from 1938 to 1961 but I have no idea what the publication order/schedule looks like, and they seem to like publishing out of chronological sequence.

Why?

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

SubG posted:

I have the two volumes they've published so far---Nancy Is Happy, which is the dailies from 1943-1945, and Nancy Like Christmas, the dailies from 1946-1948. They've got the rights to the first 24 years of Nancy, from 1938 to 1961 but I have no idea what the publication order/schedule looks like, and they seem to like publishing out of chronological sequence.

Why?

You could totally post them. It would be great! :)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Comics (November 28th 2006)

Boondocks

Doonesbury

F-Minus

FoxTrot

Non Sequitur

---

Eyebeam

It's All Right Chief Dharma

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the Martians

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Hey, guys, I'm back! Looks like you all haven't missed much except Gil Thorp while I was gone, and that's ok because nobody gives a poo poo about Gil Thorp. Here's the last few days of some vintage comics:

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Kind of hoping there's a human head in there.

Phantom Classic

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wow. That is super creepy. :stare:

Mmann posted:

We all know Cooper is gonna get the job just because he told Josh "I'll have your job within the year" or however it was phrased, because Retail is hot garbage.
Though I have to say it's a much more fun strip to hate than Luann or the like, and that I actually look forward to the updates just to see how right or wrong I am about my dumb predictions.

I really do love to hate Retail.

Luann is way better than Retail. At least it has Tiffany.

Ema Nymton posted:

You see, Holbrook, if a comic strip is going to joke about intelligent creatures with feelings being eaten without remorse or question, this is how you do it. The person-eater is a monster. He's likeable, but still a monster. We're not supposed to accept his behavior as normal or identify with him. He's not a fantastic Gary Stu who also happens to eat people off-panel. It can be read without mental whiplash, and thus has potential to be funny.

It's just a pity it never lives up to that potential.

Drakyn posted:

This is the bit that you'd think would sort of puncture the HERO OF THE PEOPLE narrative brewing about this guy. He's Smithers minus the secret love and plus the hope of career advancement, and the only reason he's at loggerheads with his employer right now is because someone who knew him from working at the same level got promoted into the position, rather than an outsider he could rear end-kiss. Like, if anyone wants to dislike Marla or Cooper or Klambert or whatever the hell all those other cranky people are, sure, that's an honest decision to make, but you don't have to start reinventing a perfectly obvious toady as something other than what he is to do it

They're all terrible, obviously, but Josh was by far the least hateable. He was the only one not motivated by petty spite.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

Is she... is she loving crying? :argh: I don't even like original Nancy all that much, although it's usually good for a chuckle--I'm just constantly offended by how Gilchrist has hijacked the strip and turned it into something saccharine and self-serving. Goddammit.

I'm getting to the point where I'm considering writing an honest-to-Krazy Kat letter to him. Maybe I'll include a few Bushmiller-era strips for Gilchrist to glance at, because clearly he's never read the strip he took over.

E: VVVVV Guess I'd never noticed before--I didn't even notice it this time on my first pass. Still, though.

Everything Counts fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 17, 2014

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Everything Counts posted:

Is she... is she loving crying? :argh: I don't even like original Nancy all that much, although it's usually good for a chuckle--I'm just constantly offended by how Gilchrist has hijacked the strip and turned it into something saccharine and self-serving. Goddammit.

Gilchrist having Fritzi cry over this sort of thing isn't new.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Catching up with Lio.

Somehow, I found these less disgusting than Red and Rover, which is why they're here and that ain't.

I'd forgotten how much I hated it when I did something cute.

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

Try all you like to look tough, frog guy, I remember when you failed to defeat a little old lady and her yip-dog. And yet, yours is the best action strip right now.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

So if it's not living up to its potential, how could it be improved?(not being defensive, just curious)

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

Just be glad you don't have to memorize Bible verses, Gil.

Retail

Funny, "smug and arrogant little jerk" just as well describes Cooper but you enable it because he just doesn't do it to you. Customers and other staff are fine though. And it's not like you don't slander and gossip about Josh all the time.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

I hate all biological units and their biological functions. Robots 4 lyfe.

Dustin

You're like a local celebrity, Dustin.

On the Fastrack

Do phones even work on planes once they're airborne? I haven't checked.

Safe Havens

"She murders those whose names I whisper to her at night."

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Mmann posted:

When someone asks if you're a god, you say yes.

But I do seriously hope that's exactly where this is going, and as the rulers they have to battle the frogs for control of it.
A poorly drawn magic battle that takes weeks to complete and is confusing as poo poo of course, because I wouldn't want Mandrake any other way.
Don't forget the sentences.... many ellipses. Missing words, too? Happens often...

Tiggum posted:

They're all terrible, obviously, but Josh was by far the least hateable. He was the only one not motivated by petty spite.
One of the first things we saw him do in the strip since the threads started carrying it was deliberately make his boss look like a dunce in a conference call when it would've taken literally no effort to bail her out. He was then shocked and surprised when this entirely rational stratagem backfired and made her dislike him more.
I repeat: he's a less loyal and competent Smithers. There is nothing else there. You can despise everyone else in Retail for being the awful people that they are without trying to martyr one of the strip's nastier and more superficial characters on the altar of their dislike.
Is there even a reason anymore or is this just what happens at random now?
EDIT:

GorfZaplen posted:

Ray Price died the 16th of December last year, according to Google.
He needs to find some younger, sturdier musicians to whack off to.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 17, 2014

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Drakyn posted:

Don't forget the sentences.... many ellipses. Missing words, too? Happens often...

One of the first things we saw him do in the strip since the threads started carrying it was deliberately make his boss look like a dunce in a conference call when it would've taken literally no effort to bail her out. He was then shocked and surprised when this entirely rational stratagem backfired and made her dislike him more.
I repeat: he's a less loyal and competent Smithers. There is nothing else there. You can despise everyone else in the strip for being the awful people that they are without trying to martyr one of the strip's nastier characters on the altar of their dislike.

Is there even a reason anymore or is this just what happens at random now?

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Classic Nancy

Mmann
Dec 1, 2007

Kyoon Was Right
12/21/12

GorfZaplen posted:

If Nancy has done nothing else it's managed to make me actually feel sad when a country star dies.
Because I know when one goes, soon, I will have to see another one of these lovely 'tribute' strips.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Drakyn posted:

Marla already hated him when this happened. He had no reason to back her up. Besides which, she is a dunce, and is pretty clearly incompetent as a manager, since she can't even handle an employee quitting without throwing a loving temper tantrum.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Mmann posted:

If Nancy has done nothing else it's managed to make me actually feel sad when a country star dies.
Because I know when one goes, soon, I will have to see another one of these lovely 'tribute' strips.

Speaking of which, we should be due for the Phil Everly one anytime now, if it's on a 2-3 week lag.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Some Guy TT posted:

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Now I am not sure if I am completely missing something or if the internet has perverted my brain forever...

This is a rather long poop joke right? The parents dream of snakes which they believe has a spiritual meaning but it is actually a warning about the massive, coiling deuce their daughter is about to drop?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

don Jaime posted:

Catching up with Lio.

That's not remotely what Pit and the Pendulum is about! :arghfist::eng101:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Drimble Wedge posted:

So if [Scary Gary is] not living up to its potential, how could it be improved?(not being defensive, just curious)

By including some actual jokes. "Leopold eats a person" isn't a joke by itself, it's just a thing he does. A monster that eats people living in a suburban house in the modern world is a good premise on which to base a humorous comic, as is a fat, friendly suburban vampire or an evil little girl who's infatuated with a monster who's dating a giant woman, but on their own they're not jokes, you have to actually do something with it. Scary Gary is just lazy and doesn't bother. Every strip is basically just restating the premise. It works for a while, but once you've been reading long enough you see that it's just repeating itself over and over and never actually builds on any of it.

Drakyn posted:

I repeat: he's a less loyal and competent Smithers. There is nothing else there. You can despise everyone else in Retail for being the awful people that they are without trying to martyr one of the strip's nastier and more superficial characters on the altar of their dislike.

If that was the first Retail strip you saw I can understand how you'd get that impression, but A) He didn't deliberately make her look dumb, she made herself look dumb and he just didn't bother to help her out of the hole she'd dug herself and B) she'd given him absolutely no reason to ever help her in any way, since she'd made it abundantly clear that he would get nothing in return. She's petty and never lets go of a grudge. So instead of trying to please her, which is pointless, he let her deal with her own problems. Even if he had helped her in that situation she'd just have found something else to hate him for instead, because she always does.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Tiggum posted:

Even if he had helped her in that situation she'd just have found something else to hate him for instead, because she always does.
Pretty much. I mean, hell, she doesn't like him because he likes his job.

August 1, 2013

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

don Jaime posted:

Catching up with Lio.

I laughed like a loon at that cat's insane stare.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Welcome back, Julet Esqu! I've already got these so I'm posting them, but then you can go ahead and go back to doing them.

Luann

Pros and Cons

Sally Forth

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A 147° slope?

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

My Lovely Horse posted:

A 147° slope?

Gunther is just being needlessly obtuse.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
That's an acute observation.

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007
Come on, guys, do you really think it's all right to start making these puns? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's not remotely what Pit and the Pendulum is about! :arghfist::eng101:

LtStorm posted:

I laughed like a loon at that cat's insane stare.

Two great tastes that taste great together*!

the madness of a memory
   which busies itself among
         forbidden things.

• Locked thread