Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EMC
Aug 17, 2004

It is just some dumb thing commentators say, but basically you tend to score more runs later in the innings because batsmen are more aggressive (they worry less about losing their wicket)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Generally teams bat more conservatively in the beginning of an innings so they have wickets in hand to go the tonk later on.

e: someone on reddit actually did a bit of analysis on this recently and found that it was more accurate if you just added 135 at the 30 over mark to predict your final score. More accurate again if you added between 120-170 depending on how many wickets you've lost.

Airstream Driver fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 17, 2014

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I think it's just because in theory you try to pick up the run rate in the last 10-15 overs if you still have plenty of wickets in hand. It's kind of a meaningless rule of thumb that doesn't really apply ever IMO.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/story/709973.html

World cricket's custodians are to consider a revolutionary proposal to bring relegation and promotion to Test matches as a partial sop to the imminent death of the World Test Championship (WTC).

The ICC executive board is expected to consider the proposal at the next round of meetings later this month, the same gathering expected to end any hopes for the WTC due to the reluctance of broadcasters and the lack of certainty around the format of an event that was postponed from its original 2013 launch date and re-launched for 2017 last October.

ESPNcricinfo understands that the board will instead entertain the promotion/relegation plan, which will open up the possibility of nations like Ireland and Afghanistan earning their way into Test matches while at the same time placing the likes of Zimbabwe and Bangladesh on the precipice. It will be introduced on the "no disadvantage" condition that none of the current ICC Full Member nations would lose that status and its financial advantages.

-----------------------

From a few days ago. It is an interesting proposition that gets brought up every few years. The problem of course is that Australia, England, India and to an extent South Africa will never ever, ever, ever, ever, ever be allowed to drop into the second tier thus making it all pointless.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Seems like it is just another way to arrange the existing teams, no one is going to watch Australia / India / England / SA versus a minnow team, regardless if they have been promoted recently or not.

Honestly it seems like it would do more harm than good, say the West Indies dropped out and then had to play Ireland and Afghanistan for a few years, that would damage the popularity of the game in a place where it is already struggling

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

England is smacking our bowling around big time

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Morgan is really going the tonk

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

The ICC should realistically just give Ireland full status. Its getting a bit silly when they need to come up with a tier system. Especially one we all know would be a farce because the big four would never leave the top tier.

In ODI news Morgan is absolutely belting the bowling attack at the moment.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

That was a cheeky way of getting a century.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

What a bullshit way to get your ton lol. Pretty amazing batting!

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Hopefully England get the 4 runs they have just been robbed of back during the innings break because the rules have been changed to stop players doing that iirc.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
So I take it selection works drastically differently in Cricket to how it does in Soccer because he played senior international cricket for Ireland before then playing for England.

Anyway, good to see england finally rebounding and maybe working their way towards a win.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Byolante posted:

So I take it selection works drastically differently in Cricket to how it does in Soccer because he played senior international cricket for Ireland before then playing for England.

Anyway, good to see england finally rebounding and maybe working their way towards a win.

There is no problem with a full member selecting a player who has represented an associate. In fact there isn't a huge deal with full member players swapping really so long as residency and the like is established. Luke Ronchi played ODI cricket for Australia before playing for New Zealand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cricketers_who_have_played_for_more_than_one_international_team

Consult this list.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Clarkey doing the AB/Symonds job today.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
England trying to get bowled out?

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Hopefully England get the 4 runs they have just been robbed of back during the innings break because the rules have been changed to stop players doing that iirc.

Law 19.4 for those playing at home.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The law used to allow for that didn't it?

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
The way Mark Nicholas and Brayshaw are talking about Shaun Marsh is absolutely ridiculous. Why can't these people see that he's completely average in every single form of the game? Brayshaw even went as far to say that he's been dominant in every form of the game in domestic cricket for years which is so loving far from the truth.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Scylo posted:

The way Mark Nicholas and Brayshaw are talking about Shaun Marsh is absolutely ridiculous. Why can't these people see that he's completely average in every single form of the game? Brayshaw even went as far to say that he's been dominant in every form of the game in domestic cricket for years which is so loving far from the truth.

Some of the commentary over average to above average players has been sickening. There was a part last ODI where they were all talking about Maxwell and I almost vomited.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

England should just use 1 hand for all their fielding.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

That was a terrific catch.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
That's a pretty great catch.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

That was a terrific catch.

Yeah pretty much

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
England actually looking decent for the first time this tour. Surely this is a sign Giles should be the coach for tests!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Holy crap i come back and we're 2/32 already. Lame.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Scylo posted:

That's a pretty great catch.

Boyd Rankin looks like a two legged farm animal. I believe he can catch a cricket ball with his mouth. I would pay :10bux: to see that.

GorgeOnMySyphilis
Mar 3, 2012

Maxwell will save us.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

GorgeOnMySyphilis posted:

Maxwell will save us.

You mean "The Big Show".

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Unimpressed posted:

You mean "The Big Show".

An IPL commentator once unironically called him 'Smackswell'.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Unimpressed posted:

You mean "The Big Show".

Anyone who tries to pick their own nickname is wrong in the head.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Frogmanv2 posted:

Anyone who tries to pick their own nickname is wrong in the head.

Well, he is the most simian of cricketers....

Also, BELLEND!!! have you done anything right this summer???????

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

That Jack Sparrow guy is very well done. Shame he has all his teeth. Quite surprising for a Queenslander really....

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

There goes Clake

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Clarke is gone! I'm having a severe case of mind vs gut.

Gut: Yessss!!!! England get a wicket!!!!

Mind: But Ashley Giles.....

e: being bowled by Joe Root should put to rest those claiming Marsh is better than his stats suggest. Now, welcome The Big Show TM

Unimpressed fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jan 17, 2014

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Time for the big show to give us a big show!

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

What happened there? I've not been able to watch

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Shmoses posted:

What happened there? I've not been able to watch

Stepped outside the rope to bat a ball back in but he was in the air when he batted it in.

edit: 3 reverse sweep 4s in a row lol

Byolante fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jan 17, 2014

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

if australia let ashley giles look good i'll never forgive them

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Cookie is pumped!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
WATCH IT GO BOOM

• Locked thread