Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Astro7x posted:

What are the 3DS numbers? All I am reading is that it "outsold all consoles" in December and 2013 as a whole.

No confirmation but it's supposedly somewhere right around a million for December. Not bad, but somehow down from last year despite the 2DS and Pokemon being out now.

e: More good news! The Wii U is currently the best selling next-gen console!

:v:

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Double posting because this is pretty significant.

Nintendo just adjusted their forecast for the year. They cut the operating margin prediction from a 100 billion yen profit to a 35 billion yen loss, to go along with a 25 billion net loss for the year. Wii U prediction cut from 9 million to 2.8 million.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2014/140117e.pdf

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 17, 2014

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Could someone explain how bad that is for a moron like me?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alteisen posted:

The big defense about Nintendo about not operating at a loss and that they have a lot of money on hand to help them out in case of emergency just got thrown out of the window.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Alteisen posted:

Everyone knew their original predictions were completely looney, but most expected the 3DS to at least prop up the Wii U and keep them in the black. Not even Nintendo thinks that's gonna happen anymore.

The profit forecast cuts are absolutely huge though. Shareholders are not gonna be happy.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nice knowing you Iwata.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quest For Glory II posted:

Nice knowing you Iwata.

This is a good thing probably. Mostly because the 3DS has had an insane year and all of it's profits have been wiped clean by the failure of the Wii U.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
To put it into perspective of previous years...

Nintendo at least sort of broke even in FY2013. In 2012 they lost 43 Billion Yen. They are predicting a loss of 25 Billion Yen for 2014.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Who would even replace Iwata? It appears that the management hasn't changed basically at all in 15 years, and they're not grooming anyone to replace him to my knowledge.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

This is great news. Now things will get interesting, now that Nintendo will finally have to act.
Those updated forecasts are wonderful.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

Who would even replace Iwata? It appears that the management hasn't changed basically at all in 15 years, and they're not grooming anyone to replace him to my knowledge.
Masahiro Sakurai seems like an ideal place to start looking, seeing as he's both very intelligent and actually plays games from other consoles and countries, but he doesn't seem to have any aspirations towards management whatsoever.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

The Kins posted:

Masahiro Sakurai seems like an ideal place to start looking, seeing as he's both very intelligent and actually plays games from other consoles and countries, but he doesn't seem to have any aspirations towards management whatsoever.

Could be an (50 year old+ Japanese) outsider with little to no direct gaming experience or someone poached from Sony or a third party.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

The_Frag_Man posted:

This is great news. Now things will get interesting, now that Nintendo will finally have to act.
Those updated forecasts are wonderful.

I have to agree with that, even as a 'rabid' Nintendo fan(in the sense that I criticise them but still prefer their consoles over others).
They've been trying to play the game their own way for too long now. Though I don't particularly care for their console to be up to the specifications of the others, I do expect it to be up to their standards.

I wonder what will happen now though.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cliff Racer posted:

Could be an (50 year old+ Japanese) outsider with little to no direct gaming experience or someone poached from Sony or a third party.
I doubt they'd look externally, considering how little they seem to consider outside influence. But yeah, I'm sure that most of Nintendo's management (and as such, most of the succession line) would be older and more conservative than the company really needs right now.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Outsold by Xbox 360. Amazing.

It outsold the PS3 though.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

The Kins posted:

I don't think Sakurai is a good choice whatsoever, mostly because I don't think he has the experience necessary, or the desire, to push the company towards making more competitive hardware that cuts back on gimmicks and focuses primarily on being a solid gaming machine for modern times.

Nintendo needs to basically get rid of pretty much everyone who's been at the top for too long, but that's not a reasonable thing to do in short order. Certainly people tied to the design decisions that made the Wii U possible should be put under heavy scrutiny. They need people who understand what the competition is doing, and are willing to adapt the company to face those challenges in such a way that it doesn't break their bank (harder than the Wii U is trying to).

They have to be proactive about securing major third party support, and that means doing a lot more to cultivate relationships with said third parties, as opposed to just expecting people to come to you when they've literally never really cared what third parties had to say before.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Holy poo poo, finally. :stare:

They were barely in the black for 2012, and these new numbers aren't even a little surprising. They've been inflating their predictions to boost stockholder confidence for too long, and a 135 billion yen downward adjustment isn't going to be looked on kindly. Heads are gonna roll at Nintendo, and very soon. :commissar:

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Iwata wrote a thing to try and explain the forecast changes.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/earnings/140117/index.html

tl;dr: None of our plans worked out and nothing is going to sell like we wanted it to.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

It outsold the PS3 though.
And that matters... why, exactly. It shouldn't be outsold by either last generation console.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

And that matters... why, exactly. It shouldn't be outsold by either last generation console.

I think it was a joke.

The PS4 and the XBone were only held back by supply, both consoles will probably end up doing well through 2014.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
But what CAN they do now until the next console? They can't play it safe, ride it out and hope for the best now, or can they?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Maybe they should change the name so people stop getting confused.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Things that are possible to do with the Wii U: Accelerate the timeline they originally laid out for the console's lifespan, wrestle the price down, reframe the system's branding, improve services, keep the software pipeline going as best they can.

But the long-term solution is to come up with a more sustainable follow-up platform to release in a few years, and that only happens if management interprets this wake-up call the right way.

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
2013 truly was Nintendo's Year of Luigi.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Supercar Gautier posted:

Things that are possible to do with the Wii U: Accelerate the timeline they originally laid out for the console's lifespan, wrestle the price down, reframe the system's branding, improve services, keep the software pipeline going as best they can.

But the long-term solution is to come up with a more sustainable follow-up platform to release in a few years, and that only happens if management interprets this wake-up call the right way.

I am trying to think of the worst lessons they could take away from this. Top of my list are currently 'clearly we should only have motion controls and enforce them on every game', which is nothing next to 'we should stick to non-hd, HD is clearly a fad.'

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

FrantzX posted:

2013 truly was Nintendo's Year of Luigi.

Luigi is second banana, not third wheel

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Crowbear posted:

Wii U prediction cut from 9 million to 2.8 million.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2014/140117e.pdf

God only knows what kind of Christmas they were expecting. They must have been totally blindsided by the PS4 and Xbone announcements and expected to saturate the market by default, because there's no sensible reason to miss a sales forecast by 70 loving percent.

That cut of 1/3 on forecast total sales is bananas. To not quite hit your targets and not break even is one thing, but net sales down that far is incredible. They've even corrected the exchange rates on their Big Stack Of Cash(tm) so they already know that won't cover their operating losses this year either.

It's particularly strange because I (and most people?) would describe the NPD/Media Create numbers for Christmas as 'pretty loving good', especially for the 3DS. It really feels like Nintendo don't understand the market any more.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

http://www.google.com/images?q=iwata+please+understand

After "Year of Luigi" has there been any word about a character theme for this year?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Heran Bago posted:

After "Year of Luigi" has there been any word about a character theme for this year?

They haven't even stopped doing Year of Luigi stuff yet.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Edmund Honda posted:

God only knows what kind of Christmas they were expecting. They must have been totally blindsided by the PS4 and Xbone announcements and expected to saturate the market by default, because there's no sensible reason to miss a sales forecast by 70 loving percent.

That cut of 1/3 on forecast total sales is bananas. To not quite hit your targets and not break even is one thing, but net sales down that far is incredible. They've even corrected the exchange rates on their Big Stack Of Cash(tm) so they already know that won't cover their operating losses this year either.

It's particularly strange because I (and most people?) would describe the NPD/Media Create numbers for Christmas as 'pretty loving good', especially for the 3DS. It really feels like Nintendo don't understand the market any more.

The NPD numbers werent good though. Anything below 500k during the holidays is horrible. The japanese numbers wer ok in comparison to the other consoles but we are talking about a system thats been selling consistently less than its previous generation competitor throughout the year.

The 3ds forecast were a surprise though and whats probably worse is the attack ratio on games.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They haven't even stopped doing Year of Luigi stuff yet.

I hope it's Year of Luigi forever. :allears:

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The NPD numbers werent good though. Anything below 500k during the holidays is horrible. The japanese numbers wer ok in comparison to the other consoles but we are talking about a system thats been selling consistently less than its previous generation competitor throughout the year.

The 3ds forecast were a surprise though and whats probably worse is the attack ratio on games.

Sorry, I did mean for Nintendo overall the numbers were good, not the Wii U specifically. On the Wii U in particular though: matching last December is pretty good? Yes, last December's figures were mediocre, but matching your launch window sales in year two seems pretty good.

The 3DS forecast being corrected (down from 18m to 13.5m) means they've gone from predicting +30% sales on hardware YoY to flat, and from +60% on software (what) to +30%.

The Wii U software forecast still seems generous to me; 19m for the FY when they were at 6.3m after 1H? Besides SM3DW at ~2m or whatever now, what else has the Wii U had since September that'll bridge that gap?

Heran Bago posted:

I hope it's Year of Luigi forever. :allears:
Did you see Dr Luigi? $15 for Dr Mario HD, classic Nintendo.

Edmund Honda fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 17, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
The problem is that for the Wii U's December performance, we kinda have had the bar significantly lowered thanks to how it was doing for the rest of the year. A single month has proven to perform leagues better than most of spring and summer for last year when it came to sales. So its 'good in context', as such.

Imagine that recent buyout of one of the companies who tried to sue them hasn't helped the profit margin any.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Astro Nut posted:

Imagine that recent buyout of one of the companies who tried to sue them hasn't helped the profit margin any.

I don't think they bought them; the company failed to pay the costs awarded to Nintendo so they had a bunch of their assets sold or delivered to Nintendo as partial repayment.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Edmund Honda posted:

Did you see Dr Luigi? $15 for Dr Mario HD, classic Nintendo.

It's not any different from pricing of similar titles like Tetris on the XBox. Yup, classic Nintendo...

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

icantfindaname posted:

Hopefully they'll replace whoever is running the American division with an American and have NOJ stay hands off. Because having everything revolve around NOJ is what's killing them.

Astro7x posted:

It's not any different from pricing of similar titles like Tetris on the XBox. Yup, classic Nintendo...

At this point they don't even have the goodwill the X-Box has. They're going to need Steam prices for the e-shop to get people interested.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

The Taint Reaper posted:

Hopefully they'll replace whoever is running the American division with an American and have NOJ stay hands off. Because having everything revolve around NOJ is what's killing them.

That would be Iwata. And I don't agree with that. Yeah, the ideas they have are largely structured around Japanese lifestyle, but they don't need to quit doing that, they just need some input from people who can steer them to a more practical execution of their ideas.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The Japanese lifestyle stuff is fine as long as it stays in Japan and does not effect hardware design. Sadly neither was true in the Wii U's case.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bread Liar
Sometimes with Nintendo the best phrase to use is "hindsight is 30/20, foresight is 20/20".

In my job, I work with multi-million dollar companies and need to accurately forecast how much they'll renew their contracts for, which can be tricky and is hard to nail down as the quarter ticks down. If my number was off by 70%, I would be absolutely fuuuucked. One of my co-workers was off by $1 million (10% of his pipeline) and it threw our numbers for a loop.

Nintendo being off by literally 70% tells me that they were either intentionally inflating forecasts to appease shareholders, honestly expected the WiiU to just sell despite its lackings, or they have no idea how their business is affected by competition and change. Either way, panic Nintendo is the best Nintendo, I think we'll see good things come from this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cliff Racer posted:

The Japanese lifestyle stuff is fine as long as it stays in Japan and does not effect hardware design. Sadly neither was true in the Wii U's case.

They just put out a demo for an upcoming game that requires Streetpass hits in order to advance faster than a glacial pace.

So yeah, at least it doesn't affect the hardware design I guess.

• Locked thread