Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snakeater
May 17, 2008

A paranoiac in reverse.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a Safari extension that reliably blocks ads on YouTube? AB doesn't do anything on YouTube and it seems like now they're running 15-second takeovers on every loving thing.

YTO seems really inconsistent and buggy.

If it's any consolation Adblock Plus is coming to Safari sometime soon. Otherwise you could always use the Click to Flash extension as a workaround.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
YouTube5 maybe? I don't recall seeing an ad in a while at least, but I also don't have Flash installed so that may play a part too. If you have ClickToFlash/Plugin I think you have to disable the YouTube script in that for YT5 to work.

serbp
Nov 30, 2013

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a Safari extension that reliably blocks ads on YouTube? AB doesn't do anything on YouTube and it seems like now they're running 15-second takeovers on every loving thing.

YTO seems really inconsistent and buggy.

A way you can sort of fix adblock is by going to preferences, then advanced, and then disabling "stop plug-ins to save power". I don't get quite as many ads, it seems, by doing that. I might be wrong though.

serbp fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 14, 2014

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I use flash for Twitch, otherwise I would just remove it all together.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

You Am I posted:

No, sorry.

I found a copy. It fixed the issue where 2013 imac couldn't use USB audio devices. I'm stoked to finally be able to use my new computer.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

PRADA SLUT posted:

Then use Chrome for Twitch.TV.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

PRADA SLUT posted:

Watching Twitch streams without Flash on Safari will kick you over to their HTML5 player. Just remove it.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Watching Twitch streams without Flash on Safari will kick you over to their HTML5 player. Just remove it.

I've never gotten their HTML5 player to work. It seems to load then just never plays anything. :iiam:

I just load up chrome or the twitch app on my iPad.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I uninstalled Flash, that seems to have helped.

I noticed that Twitch won't work with Adblock enabled (like the stream fails to load), but it seems to work with it off.

Is there a reason some YouTube videos won't load without flash? Workaround?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a reason some YouTube videos won't load without flash? Workaround?

I believe they require it on popular videos where they want to get ad money. No workaround that I know of.

Well, sort of. One way to have your cake and eat it too is to use Chrome as a secondary browser just for viewing flash stuff. Chrome includes its own private copy of flash so that Google can auto update it for security, so it doesn't require flash to be installed as a system wide browser plugin.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
A cautionary tale:

I bought a new Air last month, and it had constant WiFi connectivity issues on my work network. It would lose connectivity frequently (like once a minute), it would show a valid IP address but not connect to the network, it would lose sight of the network at random, stuff like that. Apparently the 2013 Airs sometimes have this issue, particularly those with a particular wifi driver:

quote:

c) 6.30.225.29.1 is the wireless driver that came with the OS X 10.8.5 maintenance release to specifically remedy the known AFP networking issue, which is not related to this support thread. Unfortunately, this latest wireless driver from Apple and Broadcom still contains the persistent latency bug that came out with 6.30.223.74.35.

The kicker is that rolling back to a previous version doesn't solve the issue. I had Apple swap out last month's laptop for a new one, which seems to have fixed the problem. The tech suspected it might have something to do with the fact that new Macbooks have 802.11ac but I dunno if that's a factor or not. This new machine has Mavericks as a native OS and the problem seems to be solved but I suppose time will tell~

edit: the problem appears to not be solved, because i'm still getting the same kinds of wifi errors. drat you steve!!

Van Dis fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 17, 2014

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

One of my most-used apps on my Windows PC was Paint.NET. Is there anything equivalent to that on OSX? I've only found lots of professional photo software and that's not really what I need.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pixelmator?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

tankadillo posted:

One of my most-used apps on my Windows PC was Paint.NET. Is there anything equivalent to that on OSX? I've only found lots of professional photo software and that's not really what I need.

No clue if it still works... https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/25050/paintbrush

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Just tried it on a Mavericks 10.9.1 system, runs just fine.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Seems pretty functional, but doesn't have half of the features of Paint.NET :( I'll check out the Pixelmator trial, although I was hoping for something cheaper or free. Hopefully it's good enough to justify the price!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

tankadillo posted:

Seems pretty functional, but doesn't have half of the features of Paint.NET :( I'll check out the Pixelmator trial, although I was hoping for something cheaper or free. Hopefully it's good enough to justify the price!

Seashore is probably the best you will get for open-source imaging software on OSX
http://seashore.sourceforge.net

You should really buy Pixelmator though, it's nice and only $30

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
You can always set an AppShopper alert for a price drop on Pixelmator. I grabbed it one of the times it dropped to $15 last year. If I used it any more often than I do, I could justify $30 on it for sure.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
What about GIMP?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

So Google killed (or is killing) the simple Google Notifier that has sat in my menu bar quietly lighting up when I have email for the last ~4 years. Does anyone know of a replacement that can sit in my menu bar and notify me when I have mail without doing a bunch of other unrelated poo poo?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

tankadillo posted:

I have no idea what the functionalities of Paint.Net were so here's the updated version of Paintbrush.

http://ipaint.sourceforge.net/

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

MrChupon posted:

So Google killed (or is killing) the simple Google Notifier that has sat in my menu bar quietly lighting up when I have email for the last ~4 years. Does anyone know of a replacement that can sit in my menu bar and notify me when I have mail without doing a bunch of other unrelated poo poo?

Something like this? http://ashchan.com/projects/gmail-notifr

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Looks perfect, thanks!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Just came across my first non-Retina Display friendly application. It's so hideous! :gonk:

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Just came across my first non-Retina Display friendly application. It's so hideous! :gonk:

I have stared into the eye of the beast and it is full of pixels.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You can try your luck at the Retinizer.

I should also mention my recent discovery that Kindle on the App Store is not retina but the one from Amazon's site is. If that matters to anyone, of course.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Upgraded my Mid 2011 iMac from 4GB to 16GB since it was running a little sluggish in 10.9 and while the performance bump is nice, I noticed 8GB is being used up by file cache. This seems to just grab whatever it can and hang on to it.

I did some googling but couldnt really find a solid answer - is there a way to reduce the limit for this? it seems excessive to store that much stuff in RAM - I mean I didnt even open any additional apps since yesterday and its gone from 10GB to 12GB (thanks to the file cache). I even CLOSED applications since then.

I realise its not using all my RAM right now, and that its not like having 'empty' RAM improves performance but I just dont want it hitting the ceiling like it did with the 4GB and being slow to wake up again. (which was the whole reason I upgraded to begin with)

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I've seen this discussed before but I can't seem to find it.

How do I get Windows-style file sorting, i.e. folders first and then "loose" files? Can't live with this "everything in alphabetical (dis)order" system.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Xabi posted:

How do I get Windows-style file sorting, i.e. folders first and then "loose" files? Can't live with this "everything in alphabetical (dis)order" system.

Sort by file type in list view?

i think in icon view you can do clean up/clean up by>name/type/size/ etc

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Laserface posted:

Sort by file type in list view?
Yeah, I could, but that sorts stuff into all kinds of categories, which, for me, makes it more complicated than I'd prefer.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Laserface posted:

Upgraded my Mid 2011 iMac from 4GB to 16GB since it was running a little sluggish in 10.9 and while the performance bump is nice, I noticed 8GB is being used up by file cache. This seems to just grab whatever it can and hang on to it.

I did some googling but couldnt really find a solid answer - is there a way to reduce the limit for this? it seems excessive to store that much stuff in RAM - I mean I didnt even open any additional apps since yesterday and its gone from 10GB to 12GB (thanks to the file cache). I even CLOSED applications since then.

I realise its not using all my RAM right now, and that its not like having 'empty' RAM improves performance but I just dont want it hitting the ceiling like it did with the 4GB and being slow to wake up again. (which was the whole reason I upgraded to begin with)

There is no setting to tweak, and as far as I know OS X doesn't even have a limit per se, so you're going to have to learn to stop worrying and love the bomb.

You mention seeing memory use go up despite quitting apps to try to get it to go down. Well, one of the clever things the OS X virtual memory system does is to keep lots of a quit program's memory around. Whatever it decides to keep is reclassified as "inactive". The parts of the OS which fill memory allocation requests treat inactive memory as an extension of free memory. As soon as truly free runs out, inactive is used. Only if the system uses up all free and inactive memory will it even begin to consider swapping stuff out to make room.

Inactive memory is an optimization because hey, it's still valid data. If nothing reclaims it, maybe some other program will try to read the file data which the inactive memory is a copy of, in which case the OS notices that it's still got that and doesn't have to waste time rereading it from disk.

In this and other ways, OS X is lazy about throwing memory away. But in a good way, because with proper design there's really no downside to procrastination.

All that said... open a Terminal window and do a "pmset -g". What does it show for hibernatemode? Non zero means your system may be hibernating instead of sleeping.

I ask because (far as I know) a sleeping Mac should not take longer to come out of sleep no matter how much swap it used while awake. Also, if your Mac is hibernating rather than sleeping you might be in for a rude surprise, in that hibernation performance can easily get worse with more memory installed. Your worst-case hibernate restore is now up to 16GB read from the hibernation image instead of 4GB...

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Today I learned that if you trash something on an external hard drive as user1, then log on as user2, all the trashed items are are kept separately. Whyyyy? :negative:

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Xabi posted:

OSX folder view is a configurable in two ways. First is to arrange by <parameter> and second is to sort by <parameter>.
You can get this by right-clicking (or CMD+click) in a folder and selecting "View Options".

In the properties box you get you can select what I mentioned above.

Arrange is applied to all items. Sort is to group them after arranging them. For what it's worth, Arrange by Name and Sort by Kind gives me the Windows-like folders-first view.

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Today I learned that if you trash something on an external hard drive as user1, then log on as user2, all the trashed items are are kept separately. Whyyyy? :negative:

Haha would you prefer the 8GB file you just trashed on an external hard drive to be moved to the trash bin on your primary drive?
It makes perfect sense the way it is now. Well, to me.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Hello Spaceman posted:

Haha would you prefer the 8GB file you just trashed on an external hard drive to be moved to the trash bin on your primary drive?
It makes perfect sense the way it is now. Well, to me.

What would make sense would be if it just popped up in the trash for the external hard drive regardless of which user is logged in.

Obscure example here, but I have two accounts on my computer, work and personal. I did a cleanup of my mostly work related external hard drive while I was logged into my personal account, switched over to work and forgot I hadn't emptied trash. Much later I wonder where the hell all the free space is, because the trash is empty when I'm on the work account.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

My PIN is 4826 posted:

What would make sense would be if it just popped up in the trash for the external hard drive regardless of which user is logged in.

Obscure example here, but I have two accounts on my computer, work and personal. I did a cleanup of my mostly work related external hard drive while I was logged into my personal account, switched over to work and forgot I hadn't emptied trash. Much later I wonder where the hell all the free space is, because the trash is empty when I'm on the work account.

poo poo, I misread your original post completely. Sorry. And yeah, that is dumb as hell.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Hello Spaceman posted:

poo poo, I misread your original post completely. Sorry. And yeah, that is dumb as hell.

I could especially see this loving things up if you use removable media to give big files to your friends, and then they helpfully trash it for you after :v:

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

My PIN is 4826 posted:

I could especially see this loving things up if you use removable media to give big files to your friends, and then they helpfully trash it for you after :v:
It's all based on user ID. For a ton of people that causes no issues, because a vast majority of non-power-users only create and use a single account on their machines. That means the trash will be visible to uid 501 and all will be well.

It is an odd choice for external media though. I get it for the boot drive, but I guess they never asked me what I thought for externals. :)

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Sonic Dude posted:

It's all based on user ID. For a ton of people that causes no issues, because a vast majority of non-power-users only create and use a single account on their machines. That means the trash will be visible to uid 501 and all will be well.

Oh, so if user1 on computer2 trashes a file for user1 on computer1, that's no problem? I'm less annoyed now...

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xabi posted:

I looked for a way to do this once but never had any luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
XtraFinder has an option for that.