Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
I was expecting this show to be well animated but holy crap. The entire last third of the first episode was... insanely good looking. I mean, there was a lot of great technique on display in both episodes but even the little human details like Dandy's eyes flicking between his comm and the scenery was well done.

The second episode had some wonk inbetween in places but overall was really well animated as well. The fight scene sticks out as a good example of that duality -- The characters have excellent skeletal anatomy and rigging, but their faces got a little derp.

I expected to love this show and I do, and it's actually better than just the fanservice it was advertised as. It's genuinely funny and has super excellent voice work, at least in Japanese. I haven't seen it in English.

But, that's what you get when you share cast with Tatami Galaxy. That ending theme, too.

I don't even need a 3 episode test to know I'll watch the rest of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

The fight scene reminds me more of Birdy the Mighty (especially the second season) more than anything in that MAD.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Two weeks in a row now I've watched this show and grinned like a loving moron the entire time it's on. Sure, I've only laughed out loud a few times, but if something can outright make me happy just by being superbly well animated, quirky and just fun? I'm on board for the whole thing.

The music is fantastic, the animation is phenomenal, and the dub is essentially perfect. Then again, I wasn't really expecting a coherent storyline coming in, so trans-dimensional ramen hit all the right notes for me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's not laugh out loud funny and I don't think it's trying to be, I would use the phrase 'delightfully weird' but that's just me.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The jokes have been bad throughout and I'm already bored with space hooters but I'm going to keep watching this for now because of the gorgeous animation and pretty colors. And because I'm not watching anything else right now. I though Kill la Kill was complete garbage and there's nothing else that's all that interesting this season.

ADullMin
May 3, 2013

by Ralp

Renoistic posted:

The jokes have been bad throughout and I'm already bored with space hooters but I'm going to keep watching this for now because of the gorgeous animation and pretty colors. And because I'm not watching anything else right now. I though Kill la Kill was complete garbage and there's nothing else that's all that interesting this season.

You should watch a show without boobs this season maybe?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
If you can't stand the titties, get out of the breastaurant.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

I would like to direct everyone to the Japanese Space Dandy web site. It has several deliciously 90's design choices.
http://space-dandy.com/

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I like that the episode started with really big crowds and globalized universalized elements like Google Galaxy and space Twitter, then it ends with a lonely ramen stand in the middle of nowhere.

MEAT! posted:

The show is still a trip, it's just that so far, at least for me, it's not living up to the premise of cool times with a dandy guy in space (who turns out is not even really that dandy).

I dunno, I'm sure there's at least one sapient creature out there that thinks Dandy is pretty dandy.

Level Slide fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 16, 2014

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
To repeat what everyone already said, the first episode was pretty bland, but the second one gives me hope. I'm not really into anime nowadays, but I think I'll keep checking this out.

Magnus Condomus posted:

I would like to direct everyone to the Japanese Space Dandy web site. It has several deliciously 90's design choices.

Sounds like a completely typical Japanese site, then.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Elite posted:

In the grim illiteracy of the far future there is only overzealous auto-correct.
I'm pretty sure predictive text is sort of a "thing" with Japanese text input. I keep seeing it as a thing in anime.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Actually watched Episode 2 a few days ago, and I agree with pretty much everyone here that it was a step up from the first ep. This one was entertaining all the way through. My favourite part would have to be the "tragic accident". More scenes like that would make the show work even better.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

I've watched the dub and sub for both episodes now and I'm pretty torn. I don't much like the english voice acting, but it has some great adaptive writing. The first episode had that issue with Honey yeah, but I'd argue that things were the other way around in the second. Like when Dandy asks the alien chef if he still feels lonely and he gets:

Dub: "If you feel something for long enough, it becomes a state of being and you don't notice it so much."
Sub: "I've long since forgotten the feeling of loneliness."

That line's pretty great in the dub but not as good in the original. So I'm not sure which I like best overall.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm pretty sure predictive text is sort of a "thing" with Japanese text input. I keep seeing it as a thing in anime.

To be fair, Android is running predictive text like that even for English.

Try using a Kanji input method on a normal computer, though. It's all predictive. You only have 100 keys and 2000+ characters (and way more for Chinese).

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

buzmeg posted:

To be fair, Android is running predictive text like that even for English.

Try using a Kanji input method on a normal computer, though. It's all predictive. You only have 100 keys and 2000+ characters (and way more for Chinese).

Not exactly predictive. That is, it's not like in English where you type "t-h-" and suggestions like "the" and "there" come up before you've finished typing. So if you type in "shou" it won't automatically come up with "shouhoushinou" as a suggestion. It's only after you type out the entire word in kana that you get "小胞子嚢" as a possible word (Or don't, in my computer's case, maybe that's a bad example; *I* incorrectly get 商法詩嚢, which is mostly gibberish despite being "spelled" the exact same way.)

Zogundar fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 17, 2014

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Yeah, for Shift-JIS you enter in the kana for the word or phrase then spacebar until you get the right kanji. Not sure how it works on Asia-regioned phones, though.

Also, between this thread and the KlK thread, there sure are a lot of people who buy into Internet Hype, huh?

E: Seriously, I know comedy is subjective but what were y'all expecting? The director said the show was going to take notes from the most monkey-cheese episode of Bebop moreso than the serious ones.

MadRhetoric fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 17, 2014

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Nick Biped posted:

My favourite part would have to be the "tragic accident". More scenes like that would make the show work even better.

I think I must be the only person who found that just plain dumb instead of funny. I have no idea what to make of this show though. I love the color palette, the designs, the action, the animation and the little bits of science and other references dropped in, the music is pretty good - I just don't think it's particularly funny. I've laughed a couple of times and I'll probably give it at least another episode or two just because I like the colors and animation so much, but it's not really caught me so far. I think part of the issue is that Dandy himself is so incompetent. Him not being able to holster his weapon after twirling it is funny. Him not being able to hit anything at all with it - not so much. That kind of thing works a lot better for secondary characters than main ones, to me at least. He's likable, but I don't know that he's likable enough to off-set continued idiocy and incompetence, especially in the face of actually competent folks like Scarlet.

We'll see I guess.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

MadRhetoric posted:

Yeah, for Shift-JIS you enter in the kana for the word or phrase then spacebar until you get the right kanji. Not sure how it works on Asia-regioned phones, though.

Also, between this thread and the KlK thread, there sure are a lot of people who buy into Internet Hype, huh?

E: Seriously, I know comedy is subjective but what were y'all expecting? The director said the show was going to take notes from the most monkey-cheese episode of Bebop moreso than the serious ones.

No there aren't alot of people who buy into the hype no matter how many times you post about it here and the KLK thread, people here were even careful about how they anticipated the show because they knew someone like you was going to come along with this exact smug post.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

MadRhetoric posted:

I'm actually pretty seriously enjoying it. Yeah, the director did Bebop and a bunch of other things but my take away from the creative team behind this has been "there's a bunch of crazy talented people working on it, it's at least worth checking out" rather than "OMG THIS WILL BE EXACTLY LIKE THIS OTHER THING THIS GUY MADE!" which...I guess seems to be the reaction? Apparently people expect creative types to just keep making more of the same, rather than doing drastically different stuff.

Oh well, more Space Dandy for me then. My only disappointment so far has been that every episode doesn't end with them dying, but I'm willing to admit that might have gotten old anyway.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Upon rewatch, I just noticed that the phantom alien had his thumb in the soup when he gave Dandy his ramen. Now I have to wonder if the ramen is good because of the broth being made of alien tears or because the phantom alien's species secrete hallucinogenics.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Zogundar posted:

Not exactly predictive. That is, it's not like in English where you type "t-h-" and suggestions like "the" and "there" come up before you've finished typing.

Huh? My Samsung Galaxy S3 does *exactly* this.

As I hit characters a list of words sits above the keyboard and changes with each character I type. If a word is blue (probability is high enough), I can hit spacebar, and it inserts that word.

Am I the only person who does this? I would go nuts if I had to communicate in l33tsp3ak all the time.

Anyway, Space Dandy has been amazing with visual style. Unfortunately, its music and writing style don't seem to carrying the same level of unabashed over-the-top-ness. Surprising, actually.

buzmeg fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 17, 2014

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
My immediate thought when the alien cried into the soup was that his tears were hallucinogenic. The ramen showed Dandy that even ugly things can be beautiful on the inside.

buzmeg posted:

Huh? My Samsung Galaxy S3 does *exactly* this.

As I hit characters a list of words sits above the keyboard and changes with each character I type. If a word is blue (probability is high enough), I can hit spacebar, and it inserts that word.

Am I the only person who does this? I would go nuts if I had to communicate in l33tsp3ak all the time.

He was saying that that isn't how it works with Japanese (and I assume Chinese) cell phones. It's not predictive in the same way English phones are.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

My immediate thought when the alien cried into the soup was that his tears were hallucinogenic. The ramen showed Dandy that even ugly things can be beautiful on the inside.

He was saying that that isn't how it works with Japanese (and I assume Chinese) cell phones. It's not predictive in the same way English phones are.

Oh, oops, got that backwards. My fault.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
No, that's just for a regular computer. At least on my Note 3, if I use Japanese input it does indeed begin to offer suggestions immediately without having to hit space, even guessing what word you'll say next based on the last pretty much just like in English. I haven't seen Space auto-input a word even if it's blue like it will for English though, I still have to pick from the list (Maybe I'm doing something wrong.) It's more stringent about it I guess. Nevermind, I still wasn't getting it to work (I type in "おはy" and it lights up and suggests "おはよう," hit space and I get "おはy.") Maybe it just hates Qwerty input.

Zogundar fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 17, 2014

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
This is a good show. Watched it with my buddy the other day without knowing anything about it except Watanabe's involvement and we both laughed our asses off. I had to keep pausing it to just take in all of the absurd details everywhere. I had zero expectations going in, so I've been completely pleased with it. 24 more episodes of exactly this type of stuff? Sign me up.

Also, yes, this and Jojo's are the only things I've been interested in anime-wise since Attack on Titan, and I gave up on that depression-fest a while ago.

Is Kill La Kill as bad as y'all are making it out to be, or should I give it a chance? It's got a lot of Gurren Lagann people involved, right?

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

What exactly was the Honey controversy? I caught wind of it late and the tweets/posts had been taken down and I haven't seen a clear explanation of what exactly happened between the sub and dub that got people so riled up.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Kill La Kill is awesome, and it's only a handful of naysayers maintaining otherwise.

edit: not that there's anything wrong with disliking it; just don't let the folks in here dissuade you from giving it a chance.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 17, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Reinanigans posted:

Is Kill La Kill as bad as y'all are making it out to be, or should I give it a chance? It's got a lot of Gurren Lagann people involved, right?

Kill La Kill is amazing and the worst thing you can say about it is that the animation is kind of bad, but it makes up for it in style. Unless you have an allergy to fan-sevice, I guess.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Reinanigans posted:

You should at least give it the standard 3-episode test. I can't recommend it enough, it's an amazing show.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

Magnus Condomus posted:

Oh god, I think this site gave me a seizure :supaburn:

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

Reinanigans posted:

This is a good show. Watched it with my buddy the other day without knowing anything about it except Watanabe's involvement and we both laughed our asses off. I had to keep pausing it to just take in all of the absurd details everywhere. I had zero expectations going in, so I've been completely pleased with it. 24 more episodes of exactly this type of stuff? Sign me up.

Also, yes, this and Jojo's are the only things I've been interested in anime-wise since Attack on Titan, and I gave up on that depression-fest a while ago.

It's basically just a really stale shonen show but with a cool art style. Animation is bad, pacing is horrendous and there's just no reason to care about anything or get hyped by it. I wouldn't say it's terrible but it blends in with stuff like Tenjho Tenge and Ikkitousen to the point that I couldn't be bothered keeping up with it.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Sakurazuka posted:

Kill La Kill is amazing and the worst thing you can say about it is that the animation is kind of bad, but it makes up for it in style. Unless you have an allergy to fan-sevice, I guess.
I'mma stop you right there and say that there is a *lot* more negative to be said about Kill La Kill. It's certainly high-energy, and it certainly has style, but it is disposable popcorn to its core.

The characters exists as visual gags only, all conflicts are resolved by random fiat rather than in-story rules, and yes, the fanservice is stupid as hell. It's stuck somewhere between comedy and shonen, and it flipflops awkwardly between those roles. It doesn't have the budget for real action, and it doesn't have characters worth caring about to support comedy.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I like Space Dandy. He is a dandy guy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Poniard posted:

I like Space Dandy. He is a dandy guy.

In space.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

In the space.

Fixed that to mach the trailer for you.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

God dammit.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Every episode of space dandy some guy posts: "wow great episode, but the good looking boobs in space are actually gross and bad."

Well guess what pal, the anime boobs and butts are actually very good.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Broniki posted:

It's basically just a really stale shonen show but with a cool art style. Animation is bad, pacing is horrendous and there's just no reason to care about anything or get hyped by it. I wouldn't say it's terrible but it blends in with stuff like Tenjho Tenge and Ikkitousen to the point that I couldn't be bothered keeping up with it.

Note that when people complain about the "pacing" in KLK they mean one of two things: 1) they're giant babies who can't keep up with Imaishi's speed and energy or 2) they only care about the main plot and the fact that the best episodes are the ones where nothing important happens are usually the best ones is completely lost on them.

So if you've been put off by other shonen shows that actually have bad pacing (i.e. almost all of them), don't let that stop you.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Space Dandy I'm still not sure about, because like someone said earlier every episode is ten minutes of blah and then the other ten minutes are hysterical and beautifully animated.

The second episode was a definite improvement, though, because it made it more clear that Dandy really is a good-for-nothing and the world around him treats him like a good-for-nothing, without that being his sole defining character trait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Darth Walrus posted:

All the aliens with vagina-dentatafaces probably had something to do with it.

Tomorrow's episode is rated TV-14 SV according to AdultSwim.com, so yeah, probably a cautionary measure. When we were making China, IL for them, we were told that the show will not exceed a TV-14 rating, and it didn't, but when they began promoting it they slapped MA ratings on all the ads.

• Locked thread