Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Hamburger Test posted:

Speaking of culture, I have the option of switching from Norse to Danish, is there any good reason to do this? All my vassals (and there's a lot of them) are still Norse. I haven't been able to find anything on the subject as to why you would want to switch apart from flavour I guess.

Quite a few of your vassals will switch to Danish culture if you do it first as part of the event. But in reality there is no benefit to switching. All mechanics are the same for Danish/Swedish/Norwegian and Norse. If you plan on conquering the rest of Scandinavia and they haven't yet switched to their nationalities it makes no sense to change your culture to be less compatible. Do it only if you want it for role-playing reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Way past that point. So if my vassals are currently, the kings(or queen) of Norway, Sweden, Finland, Scotland, Wales, England, Ireland and Lithuania plus the counts of whatever I don't hold in Denmark and Frisia and assorted dukes close to my realm - should I switch to prevent them from switching to Swedish, Norwegian, English etc.?

I don't plan on holding on to everything forever, just as long as it makes sense, but if I can influence them to becoming Danish that may make future relations easier?

While christianity is dire, I predict I will need all the power I can accummulate to fight off the muslims - who grabbed 2/3 of the Byzantine Empire in the first 100 years. I'm the Fylkir, but not a single follower joined either of my last two Great Holy Wars - I'm not sure why, everyone wanted to get in on Scotland, but noone cared about England and France.

Edit: the year is 1017.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Patch 1.102 posted:

Will not flip culture to Swedish, Danish or Norwegian culture if in a huge Norse empire

No need to worry, so don't switch.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Ah, that's good to know thanks.

But now I'm thinking I should look at the option of flipping to Norman, releasing all of my high level vassals and destroying Scandinavia. I shouldn't be far off from creating Francia instead, and I would be closer to where the interesting things are going to be happening next. All but one of the kings is my dynasty (I have no idea how the jarl of Svipjod was never able to reclaim it against a low tech one county king after he lost the kingdom) and the vast majority of the counties I would be releasing are already converted, so there should be a bunch of allies I can call in instead of vassal levies.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
So, the College of Cardinals mechanic.

I throw money at it, get my guys elected and eventually one might be made pope, correct? Which in turn gives me a pope who really likes me but I can achieve the same via improving relations and crusades so v:confused:v

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

So, the College of Cardinals mechanic.

I throw money at it, get my guys elected and eventually one might be made pope, correct? Which in turn gives me a pope who really likes me but I can achieve the same via improving relations and crusades so v:confused:v

A pope who likes you REALLY likes you - they'll often say yes to claim requests on entire duchies or letting you get money from them a half a dozen times. That said, unless you're Italian I wouldn't put too much money into getting someone elected (although if your candidate is going to enter the college of cardinals you should always toss in 10 gold in case he does end up Pope).

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I've been having some bug where the Byzantine Empire will never offer or accept a surrender from a non-player realm no matter what. It's not uncommon to see the Byzantine Empire with numerous wars, all with a war score of 100%, just sitting there and not surrendering or trying to enforce their demands. Is there any way to fix this?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
It might be worth checking if they have provinces occupied by rebels because for some wars that prevents either side from making peace for some reason.

Speaking of rebels have they massively upped revolt risk or something, in my Norse England game before I converted to catholicism I was getting pretty much back to back catholic revolts. And if you don't crush them immediately they often spawn two or three more huge stacks. The worst was when I crushed one revolt and ended the war and before my army could even leave the province another one started in the same province. Actually, that last one might have been heretics, but still.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

TTBF posted:

I've been having some bug where the Byzantine Empire will never offer or accept a surrender from a non-player realm no matter what. It's not uncommon to see the Byzantine Empire with numerous wars, all with a war score of 100%, just sitting there and not surrendering or trying to enforce their demands. Is there any way to fix this?

Certain CBs only transfer the titles of occupied lands; NPCs often will continue these wars past 100% warscore in order to steal more land.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

Certain CBs only transfer the titles of occupied lands; NPCs often will continue these wars past 100% warscore in order to steal more land.

I'm talking about wars that will last for decades after every single Byzantine holding is occupied.

e: Deaths of characters are the only things that end these wars.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Piell posted:

It's "give_title e_holyroman 1316", for one thing.

Didn't fix anything. :smith:

Nevermind, it seems to have worked now! Now I just need to figure out why my custom flag is being assigned to the Byzantines, and the Byzantine flag is now the Holy Roman one...

EDIT EDIT:

Welp, a significant part of my problem was not keeping straight if I'd called the title e_holyroman or e_holyrome. :ughh:

DStecks fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 17, 2014

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The hit to levies outside your de jure territory goes by primary title, right? So if I'm Emperor of Britannia as my primary but just became King of Jerusalem, my Jerusalem troops are gonna get penalized because Jerusalem is not de jure Britannia?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Holy moley I am having way too much fun with the college of cardinals since I realized that diplostabbing a bishop costs 50 gold and usually has success / discovery rates in the range of 75%/0%. You get a knife, and you get a knife, everybody gets a knife.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Seoinin posted:

Holy moley I am having way too much fun with the college of cardinals since I realized that diplostabbing a bishop costs 50 gold and usually has success / discovery rates in the range of 75%/0%. You get a knife, and you get a knife, everybody gets a knife.

Huh, this doesn't apply to the Preferatus I assume? I tried stabbing him and it cost like 350 or 250 gold.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Huh, this doesn't apply to the Preferatus I assume? I tried stabbing him and it cost like 350 or 250 gold.

Never tried stabbing a preferatus. I just work my way through western Europe's clergy until I find someone my mobbed-up Sicilians can actually beat in a run off.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Stabbing Cardinals is really hard, but Bishops who are on the short-list for the next election are generally unprotected as gently caress.

I stopped doing it when I stabbed a guy with a 1000 score and the game generated a 1400 point bastard to replace him.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Wouldn't be a Paradox game if the RNG didn't screw you over.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Do bishops piff into existence from the ether like barons or is there some kind of pool they're drawn from? I feel like I've seen a lot de Hauteville clergy hanging around s. Italy in this game, which makes me think they pre-existing characters.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Seoinin posted:

Do bishops piff into existence from the ether like barons or is there some kind of pool they're drawn from? I feel like I've seen a lot de Hauteville clergy hanging around s. Italy in this game, which makes me think they pre-existing characters.

Yes.

You can nominate pre-existing characters to be the heirs to bishoprics (if you have free investiture, or if the pope likes you enough), but if you don't bother they just teleport in from the bishop dimension.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So I've been playing a game as Brittany and something amazing happened.

My wife died after having 2 kids so I married a new lady and had a new kid. After he was born I got an event about my son being very strange. He wouldn't cry and smiled when bad things happened. I suspected that he was the spawn of Satan. So I took him to my Court Chaplain who said that such things are nonsense and to ignore it.

I didn't think anything of it.

Until my heir ended up maimed after having a seizure. This happened with another event pop-up about my son saying: "Strange things seem to happen when he is around." A few months later I got an event saying my youngest son has grown very close to his nanny. She had great stats and was of my culture so when the lad turned 6 I made her his tutor. I figured the king was in grief after the death of his daughter in very mysterious circumstances involving a seizure and my youngest son in the room.

The next event was absolutely insane. We're out for a picnic when my son's tutor jumps off the castle after declaring her love for him. My youngest son just laughs. Following this, every single tutor I gave my son died and random courtiers and bishops start dying left and right. I'm playing the marriage game, so I figure a marriage to the Duchess of Bourbon would do well. I set up the betrothal, everything is fine.

And then my youngest son murders my heir. There's no mistaking it, he definitely did it. I have one more child left, but she's a sickly infant. I have no clue what's going to happen so I decide to just ride it out. At 18 my son reveals that he's the spawn of Satan, and has stats that are something like 25 diplo, 35 mil, 26 stewardship, 40 intrigue and 18 learning. :stare: He still goes off to marry the Duchess though, mostly because I'm terrified of him. Not my problem anymore, right?

Well, sort of. He goes on to murder almost everyone in the kingdom of France and ends up having a single son. Then he gets the idea of joining the Knights Templar. This takes him out of the succession for me but he's now running around going on Holy Wars all the time. And killing Popes. So many Popes. In this 10 year or so span we went through, I believe 30 popes. I felt like every month there was a new notification that the old Pope died and there's a new one to replace him.

This all ended with literally the entire Christian world (minus me) joining a plot sponsored by the Holy Roman Emperor to kill him. There are so many plotters I couldn't even see them all on the intrigue screen. The end result of this is that France breaks up into multiple duchies, my new heir is going to inherit Bourbon and somehow got married to the heir to Scotland and England so my grandson will own all the British Isles.

Is this a new special event chain from Sons of Abraham? Because good lord, the whole thing was utterly ridiculous and so amazing. What would've happened if he got on the throne?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

axeil posted:

Is this a new special event chain from Sons of Abraham? Because good lord, the whole thing was utterly ridiculous and so amazing. What would've happened if he got on the throne?
Yes it is, and you're lucky you managed to kill him before he took power.

On the throne you could have sent him on pilgrimage to Rome, where he'd enter St. Peter's basilica and declare himself to be God, and if you ever got into trouble, Satan himself would send three armies to aid you, lead by Circe, Jezebel, and Morgan Le Fay.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Oh poo poo, the antichrist kills the heirs in line before him?

Welp, looks like I need to put that prick in the ground before he screws with Persia's succession.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Seoinin posted:

Welp, looks like I need to put that prick in the ground before he screws with Persia's succession.

They kill them in the coolest way possible, though, so I forgive them.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Seoinin posted:

Well, good luck trying to kill the antichrist. It looks easier than it is.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Other than a chance at getting a massive "speaks in tongues" penalty (like -50 opinion) and the general -20 for being suspected satan spawn, why wouldn't you want that badass to be your ruler? I had a good 50 year run where a single duchy Jewish Venice managed to win 2 holy wars against the HRE, beat Bulgaria, then beat the combined might of all the Karlings. The Alps shall be your grave, all of you. Plus sometimes Jesus tries to sway you by making you a war god.

He left an awesome son too. It's going to suck when this guy dies because playing with all stats at double digits feels like cheating. At least no one really revolts in merchant republics and I just depend on a massive retinue of horse archers+mercs so stats aren't really going to do much. But man, having 3 witches with 20-30 in all stats leading your main army basically means Europe is hosed if you can at least get up to 5k in the early game.

...non-Christian merchant republics are pretty broken if you want to just destroy everything. And I'm on the newest version of CK2+ which is supposed to make it so that I can't just keep declaring war on everyone and taking everything over.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

Yes it is, and you're lucky you managed to kill him before he took power.

On the throne you could have sent him on pilgrimage to Rome, where he'd enter St. Peter's basilica and declare himself to be God, and if you ever got into trouble, Satan himself would send three armies to aid you, lead by Circe, Jezebel, and Morgan Le Fay.

:stare: Good god. I assume that then makes your ruler a heretic/excommunicated and the entire Catholic world dogpiles you?

How big are these armies we're talking about?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

aeglus posted:

Other than a chance at getting a massive "speaks in tongues" penalty (like -50 opinion) and the general -20 for being suspected satan spawn, why wouldn't you want that badass to be your ruler?

Because House Karen are the saviors of the world and we have our loving principles. My current emperor is depressed, has enough money to brute force the assassination of god himself and the devil as well, and an heir I wouldn't mind coming to the throne a few years early. Game on, forces of evil.

Or maybe I'll send him to be educated with the Abassids. Y'know, as a good will gesture.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I was playing CK2+ as Scotland, and could not form the kingdoms of Ireland and Wales because they require Irish and Welsh culture, which I thought was stupid. Since I had enough money I just cheated myself the titles using give_title and in order to not be too cheaty gave the money it would have cost to create the titles legit to some random guy on the other side of the map. Except then I couldn't press de jure kingdom claims. I had just over half of de jure Ireland and Wales, yet I had no option to declare war on the remaining duchies. Anyone have any idea why?

Frustrated, I gave up and started a vanilla game, and hey there are no cultural requirements to form Wales and Ireland. How the gently caress are you supposed to form the Scottish Empire or Brittania if you can't form half the kingdom titles you need.

Problem is I can't stand the vanilla factions system, I wish there was some halfway solution that just had the good stuff from CK2+ like factions, extra plots and without all the bloat like the new map and the terrible siege stuff.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

I wish I had a screenshot. I had one of those events where at the end of a feast I sat around til the wee hours chatting with a fascinating vassal, tipping back many bottles of wine in the process.

The vassal in question? My 11 month old son :downs:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

marktheando posted:

Except then I couldn't press de jure kingdom claims. I had just over half of de jure Ireland and Wales, yet I had no option to declare war on the remaining duchies. Anyone have any idea why?

Don't you need high CA to press de jure claims if you have the kingdom but not the duchy? I remember that being a thing.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Seoinin posted:

Because House Karen are the saviors of the world and we have our loving principles. My current emperor is depressed, has enough money to brute force the assassination of god himself and the devil as well, and an heir I wouldn't mind coming to the throne a few years early. Game on, forces of evil.

Or maybe I'll send him to be educated with the Abassids. Y'know, as a good will gesture.

If this was the Paradox forums I would be smug about you missing your perfect chance to say something about a merchant Jew being the spawn of satan as being nothing special.

I think the only real sad thing about the demon-spawn chain is that once you get your event armies it is pretty much finished. Dude I had led a nice bit of fighting against Christians and captured/executed the Pope in a random battle but it was just like any other ruler (with allllllll the sins and being batshit insane).

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Dallan Invictus posted:

Don't you need high CA to press de jure claims if you have the kingdom but not the duchy? I remember that being a thing.

Ah I think that could have been it, though I can't remember what level of CA I had.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
code:
# Demon Child recovers from blinding
character_event = {
	id = SoA.3051
	desc = EVTDESC_SOA_3051
	picture = GFX_evt_lunatic
	border = GFX_event_normal_frame_religion

trigger = {
		trait = blinded
		trait = possessed
		has_dlc = "Sons of Abraham"
		OR = {
			has_character_modifier = voice_of_satan
			has_character_flag = demon_child_non_pagan
		}
	}

mean_time_to_happen = {
		months = 24
		modifier = {
			factor = 10
			NOT = { has_character_flag = demon_child_non_pagan }
		}
	}

option = {
		name = EVTOPTA_SOA_3051
		remove_trait = blinded
	}
}
lol

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
code:
# Demon Child receives troop reinforcements
character_event = {
	id = SoA.3065
	desc = EVTDESC_SOA_3065
	picture = GFX_evt_burning_house
	border = GFX_event_normal_frame_religion

only_rulers = yes

trigger = {
		war = yes
		trait = possessed
		has_dlc = "Sons of Abraham"
		has_character_flag = demon_child_non_pagan
		OR = {
			is_primary_war_defender = yes
			is_primary_war_attacker = yes
		}
		NOT = { has_character_flag = demon_child_non_pagan_cultists }
		is_at_sea = no
	}

mean_time_to_happen = {
		months = 24
	}

immediate = {
		location = {
			ROOT = {
				create_character = {
					dynasty = none
					religion = pagan
					culture = greek
					female = yes
					name = Circe
					age = 25
					dna=bdlhexmbcai
					attributes = {
						intrigue = 12
						martial = 7
						diplomacy = 10
						stewardship = 4
						learning = 10
					}
					trait = ambitious
					trait = cruel
					trait = envious
					trait = cynical
					trait = deceitful
					trait = fair
					trait = mystic
					trait = brilliant_strategist
					trait = flanker
				}
				new_character = {
					spawn_unit = {
						province = PREVPREV
						home = PREVPREV
						owner = ROOT
						troops = {
							archers = { 150 150 }
							knights = { 100 100 }
							heavy_infantry = { 250 250 }
						}
						attrition = 0.0
					}
					add_character_modifier = {
						name = known_witch
						duration = -1
					}
					opinion = {
						who = ROOT
						modifier = opinion_the_chosen_one
					}
					set_character_flag = special_marshal
					set_character_flag = special_treasurer
					set_character_flag = special_chancellor
					set_character_flag = special_spiritual
					set_character_flag = special_spymaster
				}
				create_character = {
					dynasty = none
					religion = pagan
					culture = levantine_arabic
					female = yes
					name = Jezebel
					age = 24
					dna=dhmfgmabaaz
					attributes = {
						intrigue = 9
						martial = 7
						diplomacy = 12
						stewardship = 3
						learning = 8
					}
					trait = ambitious
					trait = cruel
					trait = envious
					trait = lustful
					trait = deceitful
					trait = fair
					trait = hedonist
					trait = grey_eminence
					trait = inspiring_leader
				}
				new_character = {
					spawn_unit = {
						province = PREVPREV
						home = PREVPREV
						owner = ROOT
						troops = {
							archers = { 150 150 }
							knights = { 100 100 }
						}
						attrition = 0.0
					}
						name = known_witch
						duration = -1
					}
					opinion = {
						who = ROOT
					}
				}
				create_character = {
					dynasty = none
					religion = pagan
					culture = welsh
					female = yes
					name = Morgana
					age = 27
					dna=aefccojcgbd
					attributes = {
						intrigue = 15
						martial = 7
						diplomacy = 10
						stewardship = 8
						learning = 12
					}
					trait = ambitious
					trait = cruel
					trait = lustful
					trait = envious
					trait = genius
					trait = deceitful
					trait = fair
					trait = mystic
					trait = elusive_shadow
					trait = defensive_leader
				}
				new_character = {
					spawn_unit = {
						province = PREVPREV
						home = PREVPREV
						owner = ROOT
						troops = {
							archers = { 150 150 }
							knights = { 100 100 }
						}
						attrition = 0.0
					}
						name = known_witch
						duration = -1
					}
					opinion = {
						who = ROOT
					}
				}
			}
		}
		set_character_flag = demon_child_non_pagan_cultists
	}

option = {
		name = EVTOPTA_SOA_3065
	}
}
loooool

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Man, gently caress this kid. When I get home tonight, OPERATION: STAB SATAN is go. There will not be any part of him left unstabbed.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Is there a list anywhere of all the things that events can do, or do I just have to go digging through all the events to find whatever it is I'm looking for?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I demand that somebody dig up the text for EVTDESC_SOA_3051, the Antichrist regenerating his eyes must be the creepiest godddamn thing in the game.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Is there something I'm missing in regards to hosting a MP game? Trying to play with my friend but when he puts in my IP he says it doesn't work. I double checked and it is my IP address so no idea what's going on.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

CapnAndy posted:

I demand that somebody dig up the text for EVTDESC_SOA_3051, the Antichrist regenerating his eyes must be the creepiest godddamn thing in the game.

Somebody posted an event here before that shows that the Antichrist can recover from castration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

quote:

My eyesight has been restored by the power of [Root.Religion.GetRandomEvilGodName]!

Nothing that interesting.

quote:

The seed of [Root.Religion.GetRandomEvilGodName] will not be denied. My manhood is restored!

This is the castration one

• Locked thread