Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

vaguely posted:

The most expensive thing I've ever owned was a ~£500 laptop, although I did spend ~£600 to go to Disneyland Paris a couple years back. So I can understand dropping a large amount of money on something you'll love or get a lot of use out of. A coat that costs that much should last the rest of your life if you look after it, heck you could pass it down when you get old. For that it needs to be a classic cut though, something that you can wear with anything and won't look hilarious once you're not 21 any more, and that tends not to be the kind of thing that gets posted in the fashion thread :v:

I like this idea of 'French Wardrobe' clothes shopping, where you set a season-long budget for buying only FIVE classic, typically expensive pieces. This way you cull all the stupid poo poo like drop crotch pants and pick up that rad $500 rag and bone blazer or whatever.

I'm not super strict about it - I have bought work clothes and other stuff when I was out - but it really makes you think about what's already in your closet, the fabric/material/construction of your purchases, etc. I bought two high quality and pricey (for me) shoes for this season, and now I'm on the hunt for a great shift dress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I always assumed it was because cats are assholes, but that's what I assume is the answer to pretty much any 'why do cats do this?'

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
yeah tbh as someone who makes clothes i don't think it's totally unreasonable to charge a grand for a garment, but it's got to be an impeccable and incredibly complex garment with tens of hours of handwork.

probably not that floppy black wool coat since i could probably make that in about 10 hours including handwork so that's only $400-500 skilled labour and given wholesale prices the materials would cost at best $200. so assuming that the price of business (incl. advertising, rent, etc) per garment is about $100, they're still logging profits of $200 on a $1000 coat. which, of course, isn't as terrible as brands like nike and other sweatshop companies but it's still a 20% markup on the cost of production. and all of those estimates are really generous, i doubt they're paying their craftspeople $40-50/hour and i doubt it would take 10 hours for someone with an established pattern to follow. if they are, loving woot sign me up in dat factory

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 4, 2014

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
yeah i was pretty affronted by the implication that paying for therapy is a bourgeois luxury

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah, a lot of it definitely depends on your background. These friends have wealthy families, so they work lovely jobs, but they have top-of-the-line iPads, they spend a month vacationing in Europe, "I literally can't afford to eat" secretly includes "(everything from Whole Foods)," etc.

It is kind of maddening to watch because I grew up, not truly poor, but without a lot. My bed is a hand-me-down from the '70s or early '80s, and I've been looking at new ones for like a year, but there's nothing WRONG with my current one so I can't pull the trigger. That probably drives my friends nuts too.

e: sorry but if you're able to drop $400+ per month on therapy with no diagnosis except malaise and maybe mild depression, and therapy isn't actually concretely helping, that is indeed a luxury

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Just mooch off your bad spending friends like every other sane person does.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
idk your friends' situations but unless you're getting weekly in-depth therapy trip reports from them then you probably don't know what the gently caress you're talking about either

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Can we just agree that I know my friends better than you do

v yes if you have mild depression there are literally no options between $100+/hour therapists and drinking yourself to death in the gutter.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 17, 2014

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Therapy? You fuckin bourgelord. Go drink yourself slowly to death like every other person on earth

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

poopkitty posted:

I don't either. I started reading Stephen King when I was like, 10, and then Crichton so I missed out on the trends. I'm trying to force King on my 12 year old but he doesn't like to read. I'd think he was adopted except I'm his mom and I know better.

Also, total aside, but my kitty's name is Violet. I had to leave her in the States with my BFF because she is old but I miss her. The new cat is not her.

This is hella late but name the new cat Daisy since: 1. Both flower names. 2. Yellow is opposite purple on the color wheel. 3. Daisies are yellow.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Except Muslims because they can't drink. Sorry

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Anne Whateley posted:

v yes if you have mild depression there are literally no options between $100+/hour therapists and drinking yourself to death in the gutter.

yes and there is only one kind of therapy and therapists get really mad if you dont like it

oh wait

thats not true at all

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

VanSandman posted:

yes and there is only one kind of therapy and therapists get really mad if you dont like it

oh wait

thats not true at all

Thank god there's a wide variety of gin and white wine.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Anne Whateley posted:

Can we just agree that I know my friends better than you do

unless you're their psychiatrist or a loving clairvoyant with the capacity to make psychiatric diagnoses you're being a judgemental dickhead. jesus christ

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Perhaps this is something we talk about, since we're friends and all, and they've told me themselves???

Never mind the entire point of my post was "people spend money on different things and it seems weird but you have to deal because priorities are different."

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
'hey grrr, what did you do today?'

'oh, you know, saw my shrink for absolutely no reason.'

'cool, tell me more about your bourgeois affectation.'

*chomps on some haloumi bruschetta*

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Why are we fighting

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Anyways my cat says hello

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
*yells loudly* cat fight

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Fruity Gordo posted:

'hey grrr, what did you do today?'

'oh, you know, saw my shrink for absolutely no reason.'

'cool, tell me more about your bourgeois affectation.'

*chomps on some haloumi bruschetta*

Ahahahaha

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

Why are we fighting

chaos reigns

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

Why are we fighting

because implying that seeking psychiatric help is an indulgent waste of money for people who appear functional (when people all over multiple psychiatrically disordered spectrums routinely minimise their suffering to family and peers) and is only something that Obviously Damaged people should pursue stigmatises mental illness and has been proven in sociological and psychiatric literature to demonstrably discourage people from seeking psychiatric help to their enormous personal and social detriment and as a social worker and a person with a mental illness this pisses me the gently caress off

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 17, 2014

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
That post was good enough for me to overlook the ref to non-Iberian dried meat

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Spanish Manlove posted:

That post was good enough for me to overlook the ref to non-Iberian dried meat

Haloumi is a cheese

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

vaguely posted:

The most expensive thing I've ever owned was a ~£500 laptop, although I did spend ~£600 to go to Disneyland Paris a couple years back. So I can understand dropping a large amount of money on something you'll love or get a lot of use out of. A coat that costs that much should last the rest of your life if you look after it, heck you could pass it down when you get old. For that it needs to be a classic cut though, something that you can wear with anything and won't look hilarious once you're not 21 any more, and that tends not to be the kind of thing that gets posted in the fashion thread :v:

It's fine to say that "I wouldn't spend $1000 on a coat" but I think it's a bit ridiculous to say no one should. Adults can spend their disposable income on whatever is important to them. Hopefully, they're good people and have chosen to share some of their money to help others but it sounds like some are trying to argue there are absolutes and anyone who makes in excess of $XX should donate the rest to unfortunates? It get real slippery, real fast.

Some people spend $30k+ on a car when a $15k Hyundai would suffice. I get so annoyed because when this poo poo comes up it's always stuff that is associated with being stereotypically "female" as society has deemed stuff for women to have lesser worth than stuff for guys' hobbies. If you've got the disposable income, so freaking what if you choose to spend it on an article of clothing because fashion is important to you? Eh, I'm getting too strident for the thread, I'll just ignore the judgey anti-fashion statements in the future.

Fake edit: And yeah, the $1000 coat is probably over priced from a production standpoint but you're paying for the designer and the "uniqueness" which has value to some people.

Second fake edit: I'm not going anywhere near a therapy debate.

Tora! Tora! Tora! fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 17, 2014

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

sorry this place is the closest thing gbs has to a cat picture thread

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Crow Jane posted:

Haloumi is a cheese

Whoops read that as prosciutto and assumed it was some dumb yuppie kosher version

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

amarantinesky posted:

So glad I'm not Jewish

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

amarantinesky posted:

Lol what in the world would kosher prosciutto be made of?

So glad I'm not Jewish or religious, there's basically no point of meat without dairy.

Some vegan garbage idk
Either way restricting foods due to religion makes as much sense as people without mental illnesses receiving therapy

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Torka posted:

BITCH DID YOU GET A NEW KITTEN AND NOT TELL ME OR IS THIS JUST SOME RANDOM KITTEN FROM INTERNET

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
im a jewish but i dont keep kosher lol gently caress yall gently caress the police

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Torka posted:

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Fruity Gordo posted:

BITCH DID YOU GET A NEW KITTEN AND NOT TELL ME OR IS THIS JUST SOME RANDOM KITTEN FROM INTERNET

I wish, it's just some random kitten

look at it though, it's like ":allears: tell me more"

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Fruity Gordo posted:

but I just got a house in christchurch by the beach and I'm moving in in a few weeks and I'm gonna get all the cats (by which I mean probably 3 or 4)

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Torka posted:

but I just got a house in christchurch and I'm moving in in a few weeks and I'm gonna get all the cats (by which I mean probably 3 or 4)

GIT DE KITTTIIIIIIIEEEEESSSSSSSS GIT EM GIT EM GIT EM YAAAAYYY!!!

E: AN EVEN YAAAYYYER EDIT :3: :neckbeard: :3: :neckbeard: :3: :neckbeard: :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Fruity Gordo posted:

im a jewish but i dont keep kosher lol gently caress yall gently caress the police

Nice job being a cryptojew, I'm proud of you

• Locked thread