Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Pew pew. Time to start saving couch change.

Edit: tbf though I'm not sure if the Nikon one will have an internal AF motor. Might be time to put my tired 3100 to bed. :(

Surely they wouldn't completely redesign the focus mechanism just to gimp it for low-end cameras. Is dropping the internal AF motor for nikon a common thing with 3rd party lenses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Tamron uses its USD (Ultrasonic Drive) motor now in its high end lenses. All mounts have ultrasonic motors Tamron lenses, either USD or their PZD (Piezoelectric drive) for cheaper lenses.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Nikon one definitely has an USD: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1013957-REG/tamron_a011_n_sp_150_600mm_f_5_6_3_di.html

I think nearly all of Tamron's new manufacture lenses have motors built in. The 200-500 is the only one I can think of that doesn't off the top of my head.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spime Wrangler posted:

Surely they wouldn't...

You know, you can say this about almost any decision any camera company makes, but they always find a way to surprise and terrify us. :v:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I posted this question in the Canon thread, too, but figured I'd double up.

I've got a Canon 30D on the way this week and about $400 leftover for 1-2 lenses. I have a Nex with some legacy 50s, so I don't need/want the 1.8, but I would like something that covered wide-angle.

So far I've considered the Sigma 18-125 and the 40/2.8 combo, but I feel like with $400 to play with I could get something actually nice. The Canon thread suggested the 18-135 USM, but I'm not sold on spending the whole wad on a slow zoom.

Suggestions?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Isn't the answer always the Tamron 17-50 (check the OP)? KEH has them for like $300. Then you have $100 to blow on pop rocks and pogo balls or whatever kids these days are into.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ya get either the cheapest kit and something fast around 30mm or a 17-50/2.8

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
A little more on that new Sigma 50 here: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art ignores Canon L, Nikon glass and targets Zeiss Otus. No, really.

Sigma reps are boasting that their new 50 will be in the same league as the Otus. I'll believe it when I see it, especially since the price is rumored to fall between the current 50 1.4 and the 35 1.4 but who the gently caress would have the balls to be all like "You know that new $4000 super precision lens that out-resolves any piece of glass ever made for a camera? Yeah, ours is gonna be better and less than a quarter of the price."

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I'm really loving what Sigma is doing. For me they've gone from filling in gaps of 1st party line ups to now top notch first choice gear. I've owned a couple of Sigma lenses and have been nothing but impressed with their quality.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Anyone who can piss that hard in every 1st party's breakfast gets my vote.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
The Sigma 35mm has been basically welded to my camera since I got it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

800peepee51doodoo posted:

A little more on that new Sigma 50 here: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art ignores Canon L, Nikon glass and targets Zeiss Otus. No, really.

Sigma reps are boasting that their new 50 will be in the same league as the Otus. I'll believe it when I see it, especially since the price is rumored to fall between the current 50 1.4 and the 35 1.4 but who the gently caress would have the balls to be all like "You know that new $4000 super precision lens that out-resolves any piece of glass ever made for a camera? Yeah, ours is gonna be better and less than a quarter of the price."

Why is it unbelievable? The Canon 50mm f1.8, 1.4, and 1.2 are all underwhelming lenses that have stood motionless in terms of lens evolution for decades. Each of them have SEVERE technical limitations that Canon has given not a care in correcting, and the only one worth owning is the 50mm 1.8 purely as a function of how cheap it is, and with the $120 refurbed 40mm 2.8 I'm not even sure it IS worth owning.

Basically, the first parties are dumb. They've ridden the waves of their previous R&D for a long time, but if you do that long enough someone will come and outinnovate you.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Oh I don't think it would be too tough to make a 50 that's better than Canon's current lineup considering they haven't updated any of theirs in like 20 years? Its the "competing with a $4000 Zeiss" part that I'm skeptical of.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

A $4000 manual focus lens :qq:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

I'll take a 90% solution any day of the week. Also, this will autofocus, unlike the Otus.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I sense some price decreases coming on the Zeiss Otus 55/1.4 :unsmigghh:

:unsmigghh:

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
1.4 was released in 1993, 1.8 (II!) in 1990.

Not to mention there are based heavily off the original FD deigns dating back to the 70's. I even saw a review once showing that the nFD 50 1.4 was sharper than the EF version.

Mightaswell fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 17, 2014

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mightaswell posted:

1.4 was released in 1993, 1.8 (II!) in 1990.

Not to mention there are based heavily off the original FD deigns dating back to the 70's. I even saw a review once showing that the nFD 50 1.4 was sharper than the EF version.

Half of this comes down to the fact that other than exotic glasses and new coatings (both of which you're unlikely to find on cheap fiddys), the optical design for a 50mm lens was pretty much perfected before any of us were born. There's only so many sensible ways to make one.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

SoundMonkey posted:

Half of this comes down to the fact that other than exotic glasses and new coatings (both of which you're unlikely to find on cheap fiddys), the optical design for a 50mm lens was pretty much perfected before any of us were born. There's only so many sensible ways to make one.

That's what canon and Nikon want you to think!

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Mr. Despair posted:

That's what canon and Nikon want you to think!

One weird trick to design the perfect lens!

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Camera companies hate him!

Learn the one secret a SA poster used to slash his photography spending in half!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Wild EEPROM posted:

Learn the one secret a SA poster used to slash his photography spending in half!

Sell all your gear and pick up a heroin habit instead.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Casu Marzu posted:

Sell all your gear and pick up a heroin habit instead.

Heroin is so 1874.

Take anti-soul pills until your soul dies. It will cure all cravings for equipment.

Or maybe just buy Samyang. That will work too.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

SoundMonkey posted:

Actually isn't Sigma's trick, and the reason for the new 50/1.4s size, that they're using a different formula than a double gauss design? Double gauss was really convenient because it meant less elements, cheaper lenses, and smaller sizes, which is why it became such a 'standard' lens. However there are inherent limitations to it, which is why do many fast 50s are kinda disappointing. Sigma basically designed this 50 like a wide angle lens, so it's closer in lineage to a 35mm lens than a traditional 50mm lens. That means a size and weight sacrifice, but it could be great mage quality too. I doubt it'll be as good as the Otus, obviously, but if it's 90% of an Otus while most other expensive 50s are 80%, then it'll be awesome. Plus the Otus has some massive vignietting at 1.4, which this lens claims not to suffer from (though I bet that was the sacrifice Zeiss decided to make because vignietting is so easy to correct in post).

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Speaking of Sigma, does anyone have any idea why they make DSLR bodies? They're super pathetic and lovely and no one buys them, not even after they slashed $5000 off the original $7000(!!!) price. I'm pretty sure Samsung sells better. Did the CEO lose a bet or something? Or is it that they came up with Foveon and just had to do something with it, even if that something discredits the technology completely? Its the weirdest goddamn thing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Its the "competing with a $4000 Zeiss" part that I'm skeptical of.
What I've been reading about that Sigma 50mm is that they're aiming to get near the performance of that Zeiss, not beating it. That said, given todays manufacturing methods and materials, I wonder how much of that 4000 dollar price tag is due to low volume and especially brand name.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

I wonder how much of that 4000 dollar price tag is due to low volume and especially brand name.

Probably most of it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Speaking of Sigma, does anyone have any idea why they make DSLR bodies? They're super pathetic and lovely and no one buys them, not even after they slashed $5000 off the original $7000(!!!) price. I'm pretty sure Samsung sells better. Did the CEO lose a bet or something? Or is it that they came up with Foveon and just had to do something with it, even if that something discredits the technology completely? Its the weirdest goddamn thing.

I've used a sigma DSLR before. The only real complaint I had were slow write speeds, the viewfinder was bright and it was very comfortable to hold. Not a camera for everyone, but I wouldn't call it super pathetic and lovely either.

Better than most canon dslrs!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

If you want a Foveon sensor there aren't many other games in town. Foveons have always had kind of a cult following, and for a while they were an interesting specialty-type sensor: a little less resolution (even if you believe their absurd "triple the number of megapixels because each sensor reads both R, G and B" method, otherwise a lot less resolution) gets you better color depth and moire resistance, plus some ephemeral "color rendering" differences. They were always a little behind the curve technically but over the past couple years Bayer sensors have just left them in the dust.

There's really no reason to even consider them at this point. Half the price will buy you a really nice APS-C DSLR or a Fuji X camera.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
What would people recommend for a good, inexpensive, wide-angle prime for a Nikon mount? Basically something comparable to the 50mm f/1.8 AF-D in terms of price/performance except maybe somewhere in the range of 20-28mm?

(I know that *as* inexpensive as the 50mm isn't going to happen, just looking for relatively inexpensive.)

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 17, 2014

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Paul MaudDib posted:

There's really no reason to even consider them at this point. Half the price will buy you a really nice APS-C DSLR or a Fuji X camera.

Exactly, which is why its such a mystery to me that they just released a "new" SD1 Merrill. Its so behind the curve technologically speaking that I have to assume it was put out for a laugh.

Mr. Despair posted:

Better than most canon dslrs!

:argh:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Everyone here seems to have a very favorable opinion of 'BGN' grade lenses from KEH, but has anyone purchased a body from them at BGN grade quality? They have an EOS 3 with the power booster in BGN condition for a really good price, but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

Everyone here seems to have a very favorable opinion of 'BGN' grade lenses from KEH, but has anyone purchased a body from them at BGN grade quality? They have an EOS 3 with the power booster in BGN condition for a really good price, but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on it.

I believe they've got a very good return policy, if memory serves. I'd just make certain of it then go ahead. Knowing KEH, it's probably rated BGN mostly because it's got some dings or scratches in the body.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Phanatic posted:

(I know that *as* inexpensive as the 50mm isn't going to happen, just looking for relatively inexpensive.)

If you don't care about CRC or AF, the Tamron 28mm f/2.5 BBAR MC adaptall is one of my favorite cheap 28 and is dirt cheap. It's sharp enough wide open and isn't too flare prone on digital. The one con for me is that the threaded hood makes it difficult to focus with gloves on, I guess because its recessed. Not a big deal. On provia-

Re: KEH's BGN, my most recent copy of this lens was bought BGN for ~20 I think. Looked like it hadn't ever been mounted before. Their return policy is awesome and no questions asked.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

GobiasIndustries posted:

I bought a BGN 40D a couple years ago and received one with a minor cosmetic scratch on the top screen, but under 10,000 shutter actuations. I've put another ~40,000 on it since then without a hiccup.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

GobiasIndustries posted:

Usually KEH will put any major issues into the item name, and BGN from them is still a good or very good from eBay or whatever.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Startyde posted:

If you don't care about CRC or AF, the Tamron 28mm f/2.5 BBAR MC adaptall is one of my favorite cheap 28 and is dirt cheap. It's sharp enough wide open and isn't too flare prone on digital. The one con for me is that the threaded hood makes it difficult to focus with gloves on, I guess because its recessed. Not a big deal. On provia-

Re: KEH's BGN, my most recent copy of this lens was bought BGN for ~20 I think. Looked like it hadn't ever been mounted before. Their return policy is awesome and no questions asked.

Excellent suggestion, thanks. I'm always a bit confused with the Adaptall stuff, which I guess I shouldn't be because I have a 90mm 2.5 that I love. But what's the difference between AI, AI-E, and AIS adapter rings?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

BGN should be perfectly fine. By their own rating scale for bodies, that's (at worst) standard usage wear. For a point of comparison, I've bought multiple UG medium format bodies from KEH. The ugliest of them all had a couple places where the black enamel was chipped off, and the cement on the finder leather was failing. In other words, it looked like a used camera.

Lenses are another matter (UG really is UG), but I wouldn't think twice about buying any grade of body if the price is right.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Phanatic posted:

Excellent suggestion, thanks. I'm always a bit confused with the Adaptall stuff, which I guess I shouldn't be because I have a 90mm 2.5 that I love. But what's the difference between AI, AI-E, and AIS adapter rings?

NFC, I've got rings labeled N/AI (has ears and AIS notch), AI (no ears, no notch) and AIS (ears, notch). Unless you're using an FA or F4 the notch doesn't matter. F-mount doesn't have a lot of wacky revisions, if you've got an AI indexing tab on your body and the ears will clear your prism you're alright.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah, I've gotten a BGN grade Fuji GS645 and a Nikonos. It's probably EX grade anywhere else. The GS645 had a stealth flaw that took a while to find, but they took it in for service and eventually replaced it when they couldn't fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

sigmaposting

P3110007.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

e. truth be told I regret getting rid of it