Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Captain America.

I would think a period agents of shield might work better. I wonder if marvel would even be willing to touch old properties like the (robot) human torch, the wizzer, miss America, etc. that they know there's no chance would show up in the films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ToastyPotato posted:

Do they have the rights to the robot Human Torch? Can they say the words "Human Torch"? Also, if anything should have been a Netflix series, its Agent Carter.

Just call him Torch.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

ToastyPotato posted:

Do they have the rights to the robot Human Torch? Can they say the words "Human Torch"? Also, if anything should have been a Netflix series, its Agent Carter.

They show him in Captain America at the Stark Expo.

So, I'm gonna guess they can use him.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

Does anyone on this planet care about Peggy Carter? I mean really?

Captain America? :v:

But no, I agree. I really liked her character in the movie, but she wasn't some huge breakout star that I could see as the lead on a TV show at all.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I'd have been much more interested in a Peggy Carter series than one headlined by fanboy standin Coulson even before AoS proved abysmal.

Edit: Both because Carter's more interesting and (mainly) because I want to see more of that time period anyways.

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 17, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Captain America? :v:

But no, I agree. I really liked her character in the movie, but she wasn't some huge breakout star that I could see as the lead on a TV show at all.

It just seems like a weird decision that is probably doomed to fail. I barely remember her character from the film, why do they think anyone wants a full show about her? It's like Marvel is just throwing poo poo at a wall to see what sticks.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Are the other Howling Commandos going to be supporting characters? I think I'd be more interested if Dum Dum Dugan was involved.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Needs More Namor

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

StumblyWumbly posted:

Needs More Namor

Sadly, he is a mutant, even though I feel like he should fall under the same category that Wanda and Pietro fall under. :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Universal has the Namor rights explicitly.

Namor apparently has some other weird rights stuff too, because the devs of Marvel Heroes said they don't have access to him.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Universal has the Namor rights explicitly.

Namor apparently has some other weird rights stuff too, because the devs of Marvel Heroes said they don't have access to him.

How is Universal allowed to squat on the rights to Namor? Everyone else has to release X number of films or whatever within a period of time or forfeit the rights.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

How is Universal allowed to squat on the rights to Namor? Everyone else has to release X number of films or whatever within a period of time or forfeit the rights.

They just got them in 2006.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

ToastyPotato posted:

Namor rights are probably buried within the FF4 or X-Men character packages.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

^^^ Fox has those, so Universal getting Namor is even more peculiar.

Aphrodite posted:

They just got them in 2006.

That's still 8 years ago. Fox and Sony both have to put out stuff every few years or something like that. I think the longest they can go is 10? I mean, Fox did that early 90's FF movie just to keep the rights refreshed and then never released it, didn't they?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Hakkesshu posted:

It just seems like a weird decision that is probably doomed to fail. I barely remember her character from the film, why do they think anyone wants a full show about her? It's like Marvel is just throwing poo poo at a wall to see what sticks.

Taking a shot at a female lead action/adventure show isn't the worst idea in the world to try in that format.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

This came out the day after DC shelved Wonder Woman, I think Marvel is trolling them

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

So, if Deadline's sources are good, it looks like the Agent Carter series is actually happening.

I'm honestly baffled by this, because judging from the One Shot, it'd literally just be a period version of Agents of SHIELD. Even with a stronger protagonist than Coulson, whatever happened to differentiating your shows?

watch this be way better than Agents of Shield but get canceled twice as quickly

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Trast posted:

Taking a shot at a female lead action/adventure show isn't the worst idea in the world to try in that format.

Nah, but something like the Jessica Jones show makes more sense in the context of modern TV. This seems like something that could maybe have been successful in the early 2000s, but probably not today.

Of course that also describes Agents of SHIELD.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

PupsOfWar posted:

watch this be way better than Agents of Shield but get canceled twice as quickly

Alternatively in two years or whatever people can look forward to "it needs at least two more seasons to get good" and "it's called Agent Carter not The Invaders".

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Jamie Alexander is doing a guest spot on Agent of SHIELD as Sif

http://marvel.com/news/tv/2014/1/17/21783/the_lady_sif_set_to_drop_in_on_marvels_agents_of_shield.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Makes sense given she has worked for Disney on the TV show Kyle XY (which was never completed. :argh:) I mean, yeah Thor too, but I have seen her more on TV then movies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Maybe they can get Happy Hogan and Betty Ross on there too, to really complete the cast of characters no one cares about from the movies.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Barry Convex posted:

So, if Deadline's sources are good, it looks like the Agent Carter series is actually happening.

I'm honestly baffled by this, because judging from the One Shot, it'd literally just be a period version of Agents of SHIELD. Even with a stronger protagonist than Coulson, whatever happened to differentiating your shows?
I'm guessing it will be differentiated from Agents of SHIELD by actually being good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

That's still 8 years ago. Fox and Sony both have to put out stuff every few years or something like that. I think the longest they can go is 10? I mean, Fox did that early 90's FF movie just to keep the rights refreshed and then never released it, didn't they?

Last Fantastic Four was 2007, so the term is up there.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Last Fantastic Four was 2007, so the term is up there.

I thought Fox allowed Daredevil to go back to Disney for an extension on Fantastic Four?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

I thought Fox allowed Daredevil to go back to Disney for an extension on Fantastic Four?

It wasn't an extension on F4. Marvel offered to extend DareDevil's rights for Fox if Fox gave them back the rights to just Silver Surfer and Galactus. Fox declined and let the DD rights lapse.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Dacap posted:

It wasn't an extension on F4. Marvel offered to extend DareDevil's rights for Fox if Fox gave them back the rights to just Silver Surfer and Galactus. Fox declined and let the DD rights lapse.

Oh goddammit you know Marvel was gearing for some Infinity Gaunlet poo poo and Fox just cockblocked everyone. :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't give a poo poo about no Gauntlet, I just want the movie version of THE ULTIMATE COSMIC EXPERIENCE to finally get made.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Waterhaul posted:

Two Agents of SHIELD shows. Jesus wept.

I do trust the team behind Reaper slightly more though.

Reaper was a great show that died well before its time. Okay, mostly it was Ray Wise. But still a great show.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

Reaper was a great show that died well before its time. Okay, mostly it was Ray Wise. But still a great show.

Most lovable Satan ever.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Hakkesshu posted:

Nah, but something like the Jessica Jones show makes more sense in the context of modern TV. This seems like something that could maybe have been successful in the early 2000s, but probably not today.

Of course that also describes Agents of SHIELD.

Maybe Disney has a backlot full of WW2 stuff not doing anything?

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Trast posted:

Maybe Disney has a backlot full of WW2 stuff not doing anything?

Somewhere, on the Disney lots, the sets and props for The Rocketeer still remain, waiting for the day they will once more be called upon to appear in front of the camera...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Maybe they can get Happy Hogan and Betty Ross on there too, to really complete the cast of characters no one cares about from the movies.

By your powers combined, I am Captain Backup Character!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Re: Agent Carter

Hakkesshu posted:

She'll appear in some flashback scenes in Winter Soldier, hopefully that'll refresh everyone's memory.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Oh so they have decided against recasting Agent Carter. That's nice of them. When the series was first announced like a year ago, before AoS debuted, there was a rumor that Hayley Atwell wasn't going to be in it, which was weird because she had just done the short film and it didn't seem like she would be too busy to get her own primetime television series.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ToastyPotato posted:

Oh so they have decided against recasting Agent Carter. That's nice of them. When the series was first announced like a year ago, before AoS debuted, there was a rumor that Hayley Atwell wasn't going to be in it, which was weird because she had just done the short film and it didn't seem like she would be too busy to get her own primetime television series.
They better not recast Dum Dum either, Neil Mcdonough was perfect for that role

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

They better not recast Dum Dum either, Neil Mcdonough was perfect for that role

He's currently on Mob City, but there is no telling if that show will still exist by the time they actually start filming AC.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Mob City is also a short season show I thought.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

ToastyPotato posted:

Maybe Marvel is letting things slide because I'm pretty sure Universal Studios being bought out by NBC and NBC being bought out by Comcast all happened in the last eight years. Extenuating circumstances?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Heathen posted:

Maybe Marvel is letting things slide because I'm pretty sure Universal Studios being bought out by NBC and NBC being bought out by Comcast all happened in the last eight years. Extenuating circumstances?

I don't know poo poo about the situation, but I guarantee you being nice has nothing to do with it