Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

ESX 5.5 will be a big jump in performance. I did a ton of measurements and they were basically dead even. We have more improvements coming as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I started a vmware configure install manage class through my Community College today and I wanted to thank all the experts in here; I'm very prepared from reading this thread.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
On that note tomorrow starts the first classes for the new semester I help teach with

Just gotta kick off the View Desktop labs tonight but those take the longest because there is so much poo poo involved on them.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I downloaded the OVA template from the Stanly CC VMware store and installed vCenter Server Appliance, but when I open the console it doesn't give me the option to configure the network. I'm probably doing something wrong, since I'm trying to set up a nested ESXi suite so I can practice for the VCP using HA, DRS and vCenter without having to build another system. Anyone got some links to comprehensive walk-throughs?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

If the linux appliance I'd vouch against going to 4Gb, I've set it to 6Gb on occasions. Also is this update 1 or GA release, update one did help reduce the memory requirements I'd say no less that 6Gb.

The appliance is running the VMware-vCenter-Server-Appliance-5.1.0.10100-1123965_OVF10 image. We mainly use it for stats.
Can I ask how you determined a 6G minimum ? The knowledge base and ~random blogs~ seem to suggest it would run ok with 4G
with a really small deployments like ours.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2005086

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

jre posted:

The appliance is running the VMware-vCenter-Server-Appliance-5.1.0.10100-1123965_OVF10 image. We mainly use it for stats.
Can I ask how you determined a 6G minimum ? The knowledge base and ~random blogs~ seem to suggest it would run ok with 4G
with a really small deployments like ours.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2005086

The when using the Webclient to manage the environment I found with less 6GB I got funky errors and random loads to nowhere.

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I downloaded the OVA template from the Stanly CC VMware store and installed vCenter Server Appliance, but when I open the console it doesn't give me the option to configure the network. I'm probably doing something wrong, since I'm trying to set up a nested ESXi suite so I can practice for the VCP using HA, DRS and vCenter without having to build another system. Anyone got some links to comprehensive walk-throughs?

Could you take a screenshot of what you are seeing?

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 14, 2014

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Speaking of VCVA, or I guess also called vCSA. If you are running 5.5, GO DO THIS NOW!

https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2014/01/have-you-checked-the-root-password-expiration-on-your-5-5-vcva-today.html

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2069041

People are getting their root password locked out with no way to recover it. Yeah, someone hosed up bad.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

The when using the Webclient to manage the environment I found with less 6GB I got funky errors and random loads to nowhere.

How did you reduce the memory size? did you just shrink it in vcenter or did you do the heap size reductions as well ?

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I decided that since I really don't feel like loving up my actual ESXi "Production" environment I'll create a lab in VMware Workstation 10 on my PC, since it has enough processors and 16GB of RAM to adequately run a simple lab setup (and because I got all the software to use for free for a year, so why they hell not). Found a nice walk-through for creating the underlying environment, so I should be golden in a day and ready to start screwing things up.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

jre posted:

How did you reduce the memory size? did you just shrink it in vcenter or did you do the heap size reductions as well ?

Just changed vm's allocated which I realize probably doesn't change the jvm allocated. However, I don't like to gently caress with the jvm heap sizes unless I have to. And because 8gb or ram is pretty cheap and reclaimable if you force small pages

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
So vcenter 5.5.0b seems to have finally fixed my authentication problems, but now I have another one - since I was troubleshooting two separate instances of vcenter, I was leaving SSO configured in standalone mode in both sites to reduce the amount of variables. However, now that I finally have two functional instances I was going to configure them in linked mode. Of course, since SSO is configured in single-site mode on both sides, linked mode won't work.

Is anyone aware of any way to reconfigure SSO post-install to use a different deployment model? Or am I stuck rebuilding vcenter/sso/inventory service/web client from scratch (again) in one of my sites? Trolling VMware's support site and forums weren't much help.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Installing 5.5 on an old DL160 for test purposes....Installer bombs saying 3.75GB is available and 3.85GB is required. Derp.

Time to eBay a couple more 2GB sticks of RAM. I hate old hardware.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Speaking of, how big of a deal would upgrading a small (3 node) cluster from 4.0 to 5.5 be?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Cidrick posted:

So vcenter 5.5.0b seems to have finally fixed my authentication problems, but now I have another one - since I was troubleshooting two separate instances of vcenter, I was leaving SSO configured in standalone mode in both sites to reduce the amount of variables. However, now that I finally have two functional instances I was going to configure them in linked mode. Of course, since SSO is configured in single-site mode on both sides, linked mode won't work.

Is anyone aware of any way to reconfigure SSO post-install to use a different deployment model? Or am I stuck rebuilding vcenter/sso/inventory service/web client from scratch (again) in one of my sites? Trolling VMware's support site and forums weren't much help.

Did you set the second SSO server to join an existing?

Bob Morales posted:

Speaking of, how big of a deal would upgrading a small (3 node) cluster from 4.0 to 5.5 be?

If you're on the HCL, you're going to notice some nice performance improvements. The catch 5.0 and further uses large pages at 2MB, since TPS works at 4k you won't see as much TPS until you hit 94% utilization of ram. However it is pretty easy to reset to force small pages and get your TPS benefits back by setting it in advanced options; you have a little CPU overhead.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 16, 2014

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Did you set the second SSO server to join an existing?

Nope. I know what I did wrong - they're both set as standalone instances - but I'm wondering if there's any way to change that after it's already installed, or if I'm stuck uninstalling just so I can re-install SSO in a multi-site deployment.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Cidrick posted:

Nope. I know what I did wrong - they're both set as standalone instances - but I'm wondering if there's any way to change that after it's already installed, or if I'm stuck uninstalling just so I can re-install SSO in a multi-site deployment.

That I know of it is easiest to just redeploy the second server.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
At work, someone is building a server that for reasons I can't even guess at, requires a modem. Analog thing you plug a phone line into. Fortunately, an external USB modem should be sufficient.

I know you can build a VM and do USB passthrough, and you can vMotion the guest to different hosts while keeping the physical USB device associated with that guest (as long as you don't suspend or power down the guest). But what if the host with the external USB device dies? Is it possible to have a second host with an identical/similar USB modem connected, and have VMware connect the backup USB device to the guest?

(I don't have much access to our VMware environment aside from managing the guests for which I'm responsible, so I can't really explore this. Our local VMware expert thinks it's impossible, but I don't always trust him.)

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

At work, someone is building a server that for reasons I can't even guess at, requires a modem. Analog thing you plug a phone line into. Fortunately, an external USB modem should be sufficient.

I know you can build a VM and do USB passthrough, and you can vMotion the guest to different hosts while keeping the physical USB device associated with that guest (as long as you don't suspend or power down the guest). But what if the host with the external USB device dies? Is it possible to have a second host with an identical/similar USB modem connected, and have VMware connect the backup USB device to the guest?

(I don't have much access to our VMware environment aside from managing the guests for which I'm responsible, so I can't really explore this. Our local VMware expert thinks it's impossible, but I don't always trust him.)

Thought about USB over IP?

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

Digi AnywhereUSB or similar USB over IP/Ethernet product should work.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

evol262 posted:

Thought about USB over IP?

This is what I was just about to post.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

ragzilla posted:

Digi AnywhereUSB or similar USB over IP/Ethernet product should work.

+1. Make sure it's a Digi, a lot of the cheaper knockoffs don't work well.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

I spent probably 10-12 hours over the last couple days setting up a VMware lab with three VMs running Windows Server 2008 R2 and two VMs running ESXi 5.5 in VMware Workstation 10. It was actually pretty drat fun getting it all set up, and frankly I'm itching to do it again with some real hardware. Need to do some research to determine various setups that aren't quite so Microsoft-centric so I can play around with different configurations. I would do it with my ESXi box, it's my production server and I'm not in any hurry to screw up something that took me weeks of work to get set up.

I've got 16GB of RAM on my desktop PC and I'm running an i5-2500k CPU, and let me just say that my system appears to just be able to handle the Windows 7 OS and 5 VMs, although there is definitely a noticeable delay in responsiveness in Workstation 10. Need to check out some cheap servers someone's selling to see if there's anything I can use to put together a decent testing setup without having to spend a load of money.

Daylen Drazzi fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 18, 2014

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
You likely just need faster disk. If you're not hosting VMs on SSD or other fast storage you're going to get a whole lot more mileage out of that than server hardware.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes.

I've got a Ubuntu Server 12.04 VM set up in VirtualBox 4.3.6r91406 running on my Windows 7 Professional physical machine. Currently it's using a Bridged Adapter and is getting assigned an IPv4 address by my router. I can ping the VM and connect to it via ssh from the host by using the IPv4 address. However I would like to be able to connect by hostname.

I know I could add an entry to my hosts file but I'd love to get it working the way it used to. I had another VM set up (same OS for the guest, same host) where I was able to connect by name but I nuked it thinking I would be replacing it with a Vagrant box. I can't seem to find anything describing how to do it to confirm. I'm also not 100% what the network settings were but I seem to recall it was using two adapters, one in NAT and one as a Host-Only Network. I've tried replicating that setup with the current VM and I can still connect to by IP (this time an IPv4 address outside my home subnet) but not by name.

Any ideas how to get this working?

Edit: Turns out I only needed to install avahni-daemon on the guest, it doesn't come by default in the Ubuntu Server installation apparently.

ephphatha fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 20, 2014

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

loving vCloud Director doesn't work with Chrome, or -- in fact -- the IE that it's supposed to work in. Only FireFox.

We're buying a hosted infrastructure and it's managed just through vCloud Director. If I load the site in Chrome it just spits out some XML. If I load it in IE I can't get it to install the VMRC plugin. If I change the Director web UI to run in Compatibility Mode it installs the VMRC plugin but then it refuses to connect to the VM.

And if I load it in FireFox everything just works.

gently caress :mad:

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!
I think as of now only Firefox is a supported browser. Chrome and safari should throw a non-fatal warning up but it mostly works. I've never seen it just throw XML at me before? Who is the provider?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ThinkOn.com is the provider.

"Warning: This browser will not work with vCloud Director. The vCloud Director Console requires Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 or higher or Firefox 3 or higher. Continue anyway."

Maybe they're running some outdated poo poo version of Director. I honestly don't know the first thing about this end of VMware's services :(

It doesn't throw XML 100% of the time. I'd say a good 50% of the time I try to log in I'm greeted with XML. The other 50% of the time it works as well as IE does. Which is to say not at all. Gets to the "Install VMRC Plugin" dialog box but clicking OK doesn't do anything.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 20, 2014

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

ThinkOn.com is the provider.

"Warning: This browser will not work with vCloud Director. The vCloud Director Console requires Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 or higher or Firefox 3 or higher. Continue anyway."

Maybe they're running some outdated poo poo version of Director. I honestly don't know the first thing about this end of VMware's services :(

It doesn't throw XML 100% of the time. I'd say a good 50% of the time I try to log in I'm greeted with XML. The other 50% of the time it works as well as IE does. Which is to say not at all. Gets to the "Install VMRC Plugin" dialog box but clicking OK doesn't do anything.
is it running in compatibility mode in IE? We have some web apps that don't work without disabling campatibility mode for intranet sites.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

adorai posted:

is it running in compatibility mode in IE? We have some web apps that don't work without disabling campatibility mode for intranet sites.

Compatibility mode off: Complains about missing VMRC plugin, but won't download or install VMRC plugin. Nothing happens when I click the "Press OK to download/install VMRC plugin".
Compatibility mode on: Runs VMRC plugin but all VMRC windows show infinite "Connecting...". Never connect to VMs.

Turning compat mode on to install VMRC then turning it off doesn't work. With compat mode off it goes back to complaining about missing VMRC.

Just a mess all around. I decided to stop worrying about it and as much as I hate running a THIRD browser I just don't have time to donk around trying to get the other two to work.

This is Windows 8.1 with whatever browsers are up to date, so it could easily be some kind of weird incompatibility there.

Mausi
Apr 11, 2006

Vmware's support of IE10 is patchy, and IE11 plain doesn't work for a lot of things even with 5.5.0b.
If you can run up a machine with IE9 I find it's the most stable of the lot.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mausi posted:

Vmware's support of IE10 is patchy, and IE11 plain doesn't work for a lot of things even with 5.5.0b.
If you can run up a machine with IE9 I find it's the most stable of the lot.

I think virtualization is changing the way I think because my first thought for this problem was to spin up a new VM in player and run ie9 in unity mode.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Are delta VHDs supposed to balloon that fast? I've set up a fresh and up-to-date installation of Windows 8.1 in a VM, then created a checkpoint in Hyper-V. All I've done is fire up IE and go to Youtube's homepage, and the delta file is already 1.3GB.

Also, I was surprised to see that guest Windows knows that it's on a thin provisioned VHD and reacts accordingly. Not that I should have expected otherwise.

warning
Feb 4, 2004

ZZ Pops is all about hugs and high fives.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Are delta VHDs supposed to balloon that fast? I've set up a fresh and up-to-date installation of Windows 8.1 in a VM, then created a checkpoint in Hyper-V. All I've done is fire up IE and go to Youtube's homepage, and the delta file is already 1.3GB.

Also, I was surprised to see that guest Windows knows that it's on a thin provisioned VHD and reacts accordingly. Not that I should have expected otherwise.

I've had linked clones on vmware running for like 6 months and deltas are 2Gb.

The page file is on a disposable disk that doesn't keep deltas though. Maybe that is where your growth is coming from.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Probably a lot more happened than opening a browser and a web page. Your disk definitely incurred changes over at least 1.3GB of blocks for that kind of delta growth. I'd guess it could perhaps have been from post-install optimizations like superfetch and indexing. And probably the page file would have something to do with it.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I was auditing a datastore yesterday and found there was only ~300GB free of 1.9TB total (Free Space/Capacity). Quickly figured out someone on our team was using ESX as their development environment. Adding up the used space (not provisioned space) of these VMs came to about 900GB. After talking to him he removed the majority of the VMs but the Free Space hasn't changed (made sure to refresh it). Looking in the datastore itself shows they were removed to, am I missing something? I need to migrate a couple large-ish VMs to this datastore :/

Mausi
Apr 11, 2006

Ashex posted:

I was auditing a datastore yesterday and found there was only ~300GB free of 1.9TB total (Free Space/Capacity). Quickly figured out someone on our team was using ESX as their development environment. Adding up the used space (not provisioned space) of these VMs came to about 900GB. After talking to him he removed the majority of the VMs but the Free Space hasn't changed (made sure to refresh it). Looking in the datastore itself shows they were removed to, am I missing something? I need to migrate a couple large-ish VMs to this datastore :/

Was it by any chance thin provisioned disks on NFS volumes? I vaguely recall some problems with unmap and clearing allocated thin disks before 5.5.0
If you check from the array side for actual consumed and compare against what the host is seeing you might find some correlation on the missing space.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Mausi posted:

Was it by any chance thin provisioned disks on NFS volumes? I vaguely recall some problems with unmap and clearing allocated thin disks before 5.5.0
If you check from the array side for actual consumed and compare against what the host is seeing you might find some correlation on the missing space.

I do believe they were! I'll need to have our Unix admin check the usage of the LUN,these are still 5.0.0 hosts so it's entirely likely that's the problem.

CtrlMagicDel
Nov 11, 2011
So I have a 2 node cluster that we run some Red Hat Linux Websphere stuff on it that needed some firmware patching, so I figured I would no big deal migrate all the VM's from one over to the other since there was plenty of memory. Moved all but 2 of them over before I got the "admission check" error message indicating they couldn't be migrated over due to memory reservations being too high. Wanting to explain this to the area who owns this particular cluster and configures the reservations, I ran a couple of PowerCLI commands to sum up the Memory reservations of all VM's on the cluster and was surprised to find the number lower than what I think the available memory should be. These are HP Blades with 512GB of RAM:

get-vm | where {$_.VMHost -like "BlahBlah*"} | Get-VMResourceConfiguration | select VM,MemReservationMB | Measure-Object MemReservationMB -Sum

Count : 28
Average :
Sum : 509952
Maximum :
Minimum :
Property : MemReservationMB

I also gathered the VM Memory overhead:

get-vm | where {$_.VMHost -like "BlahBlah*"} | select Name,@{N="MemoryOverhead";E={$_.ExtensionData.Runtime.MemoryOverhead/1MB}} | Measure-Object MemoryOverhead -Sum

Count : 28
Average :
Sum : 4736.25390625
Maximum :
Minimum :
Property : MemoryOverhead

The physical memory total according to vCenter is 524276.3MB, minus 383.3MB leaving 523893.0 MB for the VM's. Doing the math, I have

-----------
9205MB

So by my calculations I should have 8.989258 GB beyond the memory that is reserved. Is there some other sort of overhead beyond the System and individual VM overhead that I'm not accounting for?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
IS ESXi set to reserve anything obscene?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Kachunkachunk posted:

Probably a lot more happened than opening a browser and a web page. Your disk definitely incurred changes over at least 1.3GB of blocks for that kind of delta growth. I'd guess it could perhaps have been from post-install optimizations like superfetch and indexing. And probably the page file would have something to do with it.
Pagefile could be it, altho memory pressure was pretty low, according to the dynamic memory stuff. Given that it knows it's running inside a VM, I'd expect that it tweaks its behavior, like turning superfetch off and all. I guess I have to do it on my own. As far as post-install goes, I've updated everything and rebooted it twice to get that out of the way (--edit: before creating the checkpoint).

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 22, 2014