Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I really love whenever people complain about this country not being all that free. You wanna be like "Yeah man it's a drat shame there's still so much income inequality and some people cant even afford to see a doctor. And even then in much of the country 2 consenting adults cant marry just because they're gay" but then its just complaining that they can't carry guns openly or something.

Or that our country is approaching tyranny and I point out that DHS is allowed to search Americans' electronic devices when proceeding through border control and there's no response.

Mordiceius posted:

So when I was in the military, I had this one Chief that I thought was a really cool guy. He eventually retires and becomes a crazy paranoid Tea Partier.

What is it about these type of people that feel they must post/share 20 pictures a day and have them ALL be political? You look at his news feed and he never posts anything about himself or what's going on in his life. He never posts pictures of himself or his family. It is ONLY political posts.

He is the red name.

Wait, Bill Ayers wrote Common Core? What? Ohhh...

V-Men fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Ah, poo poo, I missed that. But this guy probably didn't think like that either, to be honest. He just canceled because you cancel. I think I tried too hard to think like he did, and now I feel dumber for it.

Well it depends on whrre you start from. If you follow his proof using other arbitrary numbers other than 100 you find that 0/0 does actually equal n.

Where n can be literally anything.

Meaning that dividing by 0 cannot be defined since dividing by zero does not give a mathmatically consistent result.

(My maths only goes to A-level)

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
It's more fundamental than that. Division is, by definition, the inverse operation of multiplication, meaning that "A divided by B" is the same as saying "what would you multiply by B to get a product of A?" But since anything times 0 is 0, if B=0 that question doesn't make any sense. So the definition of division specifically says "yeah this function only accepts input where the denominator doesn't equal zero." Hence why x/0 doesn't equal something like infinity, but rather is quite literally undefined.

Trying to divide by 0 is like trying to multiply by "dog", and gives the same result. (Or, alternatively, trying to take a logarithm of 0.)

e: The slightly more math-y way of putting it is to remember that division is just a function like any other, namely a mapping from one set (the domain) to another (the range). In the case of division, the domain is any pair of real numbers where the divisor is not 0. If you drew a graph of f(x,y)=x/y, there would be a big empty line at y=0.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 17, 2014

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Those dumb math proofs remind me of the Bloom County where Oliver proves via math that penguins shouldn't exist and Opus disappears then reappears when he spots the typo in his work and corrects it.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Mornacale posted:

Most computer programmers are wealthy men. Society generally regards us as intelligent, which can lead to a willingness to presume expertise in areas that we do not actually know anything about. Further, we are socialized to highly value "rationality" and "logic". This often leads to a highly mechanistic worldview coupled with a willingness to dismiss social sciences--let alone the lived experience of marginalized groups--as "emotional" and hence worthless.

No one is less willing to examine their biases than someone whose self-image is based around rationality.

Computer programmers/technicians/IT people/engineers have some of the strangest world views I've ever encountered. My best friend recently told me that he doesn't think people working low-skill jobs deserve a raise because any job that can be replaced by robots should just be replaced by robots. If people lose their jobs, that's life.

Back when I was a fat warham in New Jersey, several of the engineers who frequented our game store would advocate the euthanization of mentally handicapped people, because they would "never contribute to society". Black people shouldn't get upset about slavery because slaves were originally sold by other black people. Etc, etc.

Exactly as Mornacale said, society regards these people as intelligent and their professions rely upon strict adherence to rationality and logic. Couple that with crippling social awkwardness and white privilege and you've got a recipe for the stereotypical engineer.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 17, 2014

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Dirty Job posted:

etc.

Exactly as Mornacale said, society regards these people as intelligent and their professions rely upon strict adherence to rationality and logic. Couple that with crippling social awkwardness and white privilege and you've got a recipe for the stereotypical engineer.

Society regards their professions to adhere to rationality and logic. IT/Eng/tech do not learn, at any point in a bachelors degree, rationality or logic. Those are philosophical/scientific terms and aren't needed for the skillset.

If they did, it wouldn't be a problem. None of the stereotypical dumb tech/eng views are in any way logical, as a basic critical observation finds them to be ridiculously flawed.

Maths degrees, on the other hand, focus very heavily on making fun of engineers, thus they are well equipped to make fun of engineers.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Like those kinds of people will ever couple. :downsrim:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Spangly A posted:

Society regards their professions to adhere to rationality and logic. IT/Eng/tech do not learn, at any point in a bachelors degree, rationality or logic. Those are philosophical/scientific terms and aren't needed for the skillset.

If they did, it wouldn't be a problem. None of the stereotypical dumb tech/eng views are in any way logical, as a basic critical observation finds them to be ridiculously flawed.

Maths degrees, on the other hand, focus very heavily on making fun of engineers, thus they are well equipped to make fun of engineers.

You're absolutely right. As a physics student, I too spend my time making fun of the engineers. It surprised me to find that most physics people are actually pretty well adjusted, if a little full of themselves.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Dirty Job posted:

You're absolutely right. As a physics student, I too spend my time making fun of the engineers. It surprised me to find that most physics people are actually pretty well adjusted, if a little full of themselves.

Unless they start thinking they can solve all kinds of complex problems outside their field with a simple model.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Orange Devil posted:

Unless they start thinking they can solve all kinds of complex problems outside their field with a simple model.

Meh. A bunch of physics students do do this for a while but really it just boils down to 'we work harder than anyone (we really don't) so we can handle any of your subjects if we wanted!' Being overly confident, rather than believing they can solve everything with physics

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's applied science versus just straight up science. People who are in straight up science tend to not be regressive douchebags because they have some sort of understanding of how vast things are. Engineering has a strong focus on mastery so you wind up on the other side of the Dunning Kruger effect and engineers will use their mastery in one specific area and apply it to all areas.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Spangly A posted:

Yeah I tell people that my engineering degree was a "lateral education" rather than a "higher education," like a crab walking sideways through human improvement. I had a very positive experience with engineers from my childhood with the IBM people I'd meet that worked with my father. They seemed to actually try to follow that model of being rational people, but more importantly, they had a strong sense of curiosity. I just assumed that was implicit to being called an engineer.

I think the first place you can nail a nascent engineer is that cognitive dissonance they have for girls disappearing from their program in college. You know:
Not really a question: Why aren't there any girls in the program? They must be stupid. And because I'm an engineer, if I think something is stupid, then it must be banned.
Answer: Because you all just asked them all out and got snubbed. You think you are all nice guys, so you all just decided they were all stupid bitches. Who would hang around after that? And are you a nice guy, or are you just well-behaved, or even worse, just non-disruptive in class in primary education.

Or alternately sit them down in front of the You Are Not So Smart podcast for awhile.

Obsolete
Jun 1, 2000

My mom just sent me an email asking me about whether or not she should get her flu shot. I wrote back that yes, she should, since it is literally free for her.

A very good friend of mine has a 4 year old son that has leukemia. He has a severly compromised immune system, to the point where he can only really leave his house to go to the hospital. He has a mask that he wears if he has to leave for any other reason. My friend is constantly afraid that someone that has the flu virus (and didn't get vaccinated) will come into contact with her son and get him sick or killed. So, this issue is pretty near and dear to me.

Anyway, after telling her about my friend's kid and then saying that thanks to vaccines we've wiped out smallpox and polio and all the other things have been reduced to near non-existant, she writes back with, "Well I work with a lady and her kid was fine before his shots and now he's severly autistic."

I was so mad. I just wrote back, "I would rather have an autistic kid than a dead one. Sorry if that makes me a monster."

Those of you that are able to wage this war every day have my deepest respect. Jesus Christ.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah I tell people that my engineering degree was a "lateral education" rather than a "higher education," like a crab walking sideways through human improvement. I had a very positive experience with engineers from my childhood with the IBM people I'd meet that worked with my father. They seemed to actually try to follow that model of being rational people, but more importantly, they had a strong sense of curiosity. I just assumed that was implicit to being called an engineer.

I think the first place you can nail a nascent engineer is that cognitive dissonance they have for girls disappearing from their program in college. You know:
Not really a question: Why aren't there any girls in the program? They must be stupid. And because I'm an engineer, if I think something is stupid, then it must be banned.
Answer: Because you all just asked them all out and got snubbed. You think you are all nice guys, so you all just decided they were all stupid bitches. Who would hang around after that? And are you a nice guy, or are you just well-behaved, or even worse, just non-disruptive in class in primary education.

Or alternately sit them down in front of the You Are Not So Smart podcast for awhile.

I'm in chemistry, a cousin of mine I see occasionally went through mechanical/agricultural engineering. We've had this conversation about gender in science and engineering and he alternates annoyance that chemistry has plenty of women in and is trying to actually retain them in a lot of places while engineering is still trying to recruit women at all. At the same time he's also angry about women actually in engineering because they're "backstabbing bitches" or "expect special accommodations." He's the weirdest combination of Good Ol' Boy and Proto-MRA Engineer. Which, this sort of leads into how engineering is an acceptable field to go into if you want to be a Good Ol' Boy, but scientists do that fancy book learnin' thing and are snobby elitists.

Obsolete posted:

Those of you that are able to wage this war every day have my deepest respect. Jesus Christ.

I've had to stop having this conversation with my mom. Every time it comes up she cites how she worked in a factory in the early 80s and one of her co-workers always had her flu shot and was continuously sick the entire year. Then one year she didn't get a flu shot and she miraculously got better. Q.E.D. flu shots cause you to have the flu year round.

Explaining that there's no world where that makes sense hasn't made an impact, explaining in detail how flu shots work hasn't helped, and pointing out she's mis-remembering what happened and embellishing it hasn't done anything other than cause her to change the subject like she does if I point out she's being racist about something.

So she never gets flu shots and so far has been lucky. Hopefully that luck will continue as she's getting to the age where the flu could very well kill her.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

LtStorm posted:

I'm in chemistry, a cousin of mine I see occasionally went through mechanical/agricultural engineering. We've had this conversation about gender in science and engineering and he alternates annoyance that chemistry has plenty of women in and is trying to actually retain them in a lot of places while engineering is still trying to recruit women at all. At the same time he's also angry about women actually in engineering because they're "backstabbing bitches" or "expect special accommodations." He's the weirdest combination of Good Ol' Boy and Proto-MRA Engineer. Which, this sort of leads into how engineering is an acceptable field to go into if you want to be a Good Ol' Boy, but scientists do that fancy book learnin' thing and are snobby elitists.

Hey chem buddy.

I took computer science (and hated it) before getting into chem and I can vouch that there were way fewer women in the engineering and computer science (which was geared toward computer engineering) classes than in the chem classes.

The worst was when guys I knew from the engineering courses kept asking me to introduce them to girls from my chem labs. Like I'm some kind of science matchmaker or something. And it was never a "she seems cool" kind of thing, always a creepy "Your lab partner is so hot introduce me" kind of thing.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I never get tired of seeing my facebook feed filled with stuff like this:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

LtStorm posted:

I've had to stop having this conversation with my mom. Every time it comes up she cites how she worked in a factory in the early 80s and one of her co-workers always had her flu shot and was continuously sick the entire year. Then one year she didn't get a flu shot and she miraculously got better. Q.E.D. flu shots cause you to have the flu year round.

Explaining that there's no world where that makes sense hasn't made an impact, explaining in detail how flu shots work hasn't helped, and pointing out she's mis-remembering what happened and embellishing it hasn't done anything other than cause her to change the subject like she does if I point out she's being racist about something.

So she never gets flu shots and so far has been lucky. Hopefully that luck will continue as she's getting to the age where the flu could very well kill her.

You have to remember that in general people are really good at compartmentalizing beliefs and twisting new information to fit those beliefs, and it often takes concious effort to work past those barriers. New information is viewed through the lens of old beliefs more often than nought. It's how you wind up with stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kBk2Q2rxdY

It's laughably absurd to suggest that physical illness is solely in the realm of whether or not you believe in it. Even leeching at least had some acknowledgement that there actually is something wrong with you and the treatment was bullshit. But that's how she was taught, and not "getting sick" for a few years has served to confirm her beliefs, and she sure doesn't sound interested in challenging her own beliefs on the subject, evidence or not.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mo_Steel posted:

It's laughably absurd to suggest that physical illness is solely in the realm of whether or not you believe in it. Even leeching at least had some acknowledgement that there actually is something wrong with you and the treatment was bullshit. But that's how she was taught, and not "getting sick" for a few years has served to confirm her beliefs, and she sure doesn't sound interested in challenging her own beliefs on the subject, evidence or not.

What makes this a tough nut to crack is that if she does get sick, she's mentally decides that she's probably just feeling run down from work or ate some bad pickles, she's not sick.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Engineer chat: I just started an engineering program and, at this point, its ~40% women and my current class is taught by a woman. So far I'm not seeing the engineer stereotype although it was a bit odd how many people just happened to know the spot price of gold for a problem we were doing in class. Also, there is at least two people in class that list "make armor" as a hobby they enjoy.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
It's that time again! Time for more horrible pictures from LIBERAL LOGIC 101!!!!

Citation needed!

poo poo I am making up!

Obamacare bad! Abortion bad! Contraceptives also bad!

Stuff that started under Bush? Good! Stuff that continued from Bush under Obama? BAD!

NRA good!

Keep all guns! (I agree, we should ban all guns.)

code:
while(1)
{
    Giant-ever-growing-Ironicat();
}

See above!

Doesn't understand how taxes work!

Gay marriage is bad!

That uppity black man!

And the winner for worst one of the week goes to......

Using 28 deaths for a terrible political point!

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

Gay marriage is bad!

The problem here, of course, is that no one is trying to stop straight couples from getting married.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

Calling all three of those "just" rifles is about as honest as showing me an orange, an apple and a banana and calling them all "just" fruit.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Wojtek posted:

The problem here, of course, is that no one is trying to stop straight couples from getting married.

Wait, we're not?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Right wing authoritarians are such sore winners (and whiners). A couple of dozen kindergarteners get mowed down and no substantial gun control/prohibition was enacted.

Yeah, you won. Stop acting like you didn't.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

See above!

Wait. Is "mute" a deliberate mistake to be all :smugbert: when someone points it out?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

"Point" is misspelled right next to it so I assume it's part of the joke.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

borkencode posted:

Wait. Is "mute" a deliberate mistake to be all :smugbert: when someone points it out?

In this context, "mute" is a misspelling of "moot," used here as a synonym for "irrelevant."

VVVV Oh, ok. Thank you. VVVV

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 17, 2014

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Pththya-lyi posted:

In this context, "mute" is a misspelling of "moot," used here as a synonym for "irrelevant."

He knows that. He's asking if it was intentional so a liberal would point it out and then the poster would be all "seeeeee it's right!"

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Liberal facists.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Phone posted:

Right wing authoritarians are such sore winners (and whiners). A couple of dozen kindergarteners get mowed down and no substantial gun control/prohibition was enacted.

Yeah, you won. Stop acting like you didn't.

Bonus points for killing them a week before Christmas. Yeah, gun rights in America are under attack! All it takes is one tiny incident and they will be abolished!

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012
You missed some good ones:

Economy.

Racism.

Immigration/Gun Control.

Tyranny.

Abortion.

Poll.

Godwin.

Poll.

Unemployment.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

This right here. If you tried hard enough, you could probably make a case that the Tea Party isn't inherently racist. But there is no way in the deepest, darkest hell that you could ever untangle birthers from a deep-seated hatred of minorities.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

"Come on, minorities. It's time we all got on the same page and agree that you are really the problem here."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sir Rolo posted:

Abortion.
Interesting that they left 'can't consent to sex' out of the top list.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Sir Rolo posted:

You missed some good ones:

Economy.

Yes, a couple actually. First, what sort of alternate, gravity bending dimension do you live in where toilets "trickle up"? Second, what kind of retarded point is this supposed to be making other than "toilets have poopie in them just like liberals!"?

Sir Rolo posted:

Abortion.

Can't vote, can't pierce ears, can raise infant to adulthood as a single parent.

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.

ratbert90 posted:

Hot tip - gun owners know you really want this, which is why they oppose every new law equally.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Re: flu shot chat, I'm in a microbiology lab in a major US hospital and the flu is loving killing people like crazy this year. Especially not - elderly people (the usual demographic for influenza deaths). The up side is that the vaccine covers it extremely well. So if you haven't gotten it, you still can and it might save your life. And now you can tell your family members that you know it's true because a guy on the internet said so.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

andrew smash posted:

Now you can tell your family members that you know it's true because a guy on the internet said so.

Can I include your username and avatar? I feel like it would help me convince them of your credentials.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Yes, a couple actually. First, what sort of alternate, gravity bending dimension do you live in where toilets "trickle up"? Second, what kind of retarded point is this supposed to be making other than "toilets have poopie in them just like liberals!"?
Some toilets fill the pan up slowly after flushing. Crazy leftists want to restore the proper working of an important device after the waste has been removed from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

What the gently caress does this even mean?