Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mister J posted:

I love how blatant it is that that web could not possibly be connected to anything. It literally just fades off into the distance.

There's obviously a perpendicular support webline strung between the buildings that his web is attached to that is just out of sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
They need to re-release that super poseable Spiderman, didn't it have like 75 points of articulation?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Comfortador posted:

They need to re-release that super poseable Spiderman, didn't it have like 75 points of articulation?

Something crazy like that, including most of the fingers and a shitload of balljoints for some really damned impressive posing potential.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Has there ever been a situation in a Spiderman comic when he wanted to go webslinging only to realize that he was surrounded by 2 story buildings/a completely flat landscape?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Pretty sure that happened to Kaine in Scarlet Spider, among other times.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Madkal posted:

Has there ever been a situation in a Spiderman comic when he wanted to go webslinging only to realize that he was surrounded by 2 story buildings/a completely flat landscape?

Amazing Spider-Man #267

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Madkal posted:

I haven't picked it up yet so I don't know if this is true, but I hear Peter moved to Los Angeles recently. If that's the case, I sure hope he fights a lot of crime in the (relatively crime free, actually) three block square that is our downtown. LA has a lot of horizontal sprawl with very limited verticality, so maybe they'll give him his ridiculous Spider - mobile again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Madkal posted:

There was an issue of the "Tangled Web" anthology series where Spidey has to go out to the middle of nowhere and has to take a taxi.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Madkal posted:

I thought they were just continuing the proud tradition that was heavily displayed in Spiderman 2.

Spider-man 2 is the only game where his webbing actually connects to things and obeys the laws of physics (however loosely). Don't you dare besmirch it!

Madkal posted:

It's happened enough times that Spidey has gone on record as hating the suburbs.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Ultimate Spider-man also has his webs connect to things, so if you're in Queens or something with low buildings you kinda fly above them by yanking on the web real hard and double jumping.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Spider-man 2 is the only game where his webbing actually connects to things and obeys the laws of physics (however loosely). Don't you dare besmirch it!

Yeah, this is the single worst thing about the Amazing Spider-Man game. It annoys me way more than it probably should.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

I have never played the game but I seem to remember Spidey webslinging over water at the end of Spiderman 2.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sockser posted:

Ultimate Spider-man also has his webs connect to things, so if you're in Queens or something with low buildings you kinda fly above them by yanking on the web real hard and double jumping.

I loved the explanation for the double jump. (There explicitly wasn't one.)

SlimGoodbody posted:

I haven't picked it up yet so I don't know if this is true, but I hear Peter moved to Los Angeles recently. If that's the case, I sure hope he fights a lot of crime in the (relatively crime free, actually) three block square that is our downtown. LA has a lot of horizontal sprawl with very limited verticality, so maybe they'll give him his ridiculous Spider - mobile again.

I thought it was Daredevil that was moving back to California?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Madkal posted:

I have never played the game but I seem to remember Spidey webslinging over water at the end of Spiderman 2.

There's a chain of balloons leading to the Statue of Liberty specifically for that sequence, and you could also hitch a ride on a helicopter.

There were a few areas even in the Spider-Man 2 game that had limited horizontal access like Central Park and some waterfront property, in those you could either web-zip along trees and telephone poles or attach two lines to narrow points and slingshot yourself like he did in the first movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Apparently the Batman vs Superman film has been pushed from July 2015 to May 2016. The gently caress. http://variety.com/2014/film/news/superm-1201062720/

:sigh:

[edit] another source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/batman-superman-movie-bumped-2016-671998

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Starsnostars posted:

Amazing Spider-Man #267nwqsch

That issue is cover dated August '85. It's also the issue where he webs a dogs mouth shut for barking at him. Goofy fun issue if you can find it in a cheap bin.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

teagone posted:

Apparently the Batman vs Superman film has been pushed from July 2015 to May 2016. The gently caress.

One of the few smart moves they're done with the film, because July 2015 is already clogged with blockbusters.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Wasn't filming supposed to start in February? I was hoping we might get a shot of the new Batsuit soon.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Dacap posted:

Wasn't filming supposed to start in February? I was hoping we might get a shot of the new Batsuit soon.

Variety says the start of production has been pushed into Q2, hence the delay.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Whizbang posted:

One of the few smart moves they're done with the film, because July 2015 is already clogged with blockbusters.

Yeah, after thinking about it, I realized not having to go up against Avengers 2 and Ant-Man is a good thing.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Yeah, that's the first good news that's came out of that production, aside from Affleck as Batman.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dan Didio posted:

Yeah, that's the first good news that's came out of that production, aside from Affleck as Batman.

Having Chris Terrio come in to re-write/polish up whatever Goyer came up with was pretty good news too.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

you'd think it's a good idea, but marvel already has an unspecified phase 3 film scheduled for that same weekend.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I wonder if this thing is just gonna be titled Justice League by the time it's released.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Super Dan posted:

you'd think it's a good idea, but marvel already has an unspecified phase 3 film scheduled for that same weekend.

Watch it be Ms/Captain Marvel. The press release will just be a picture of Kevin Feige flipping off a WB logo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Super Dan posted:

Going up against whatever Phase 3 film is better than having to go up against Avengers 2, Ant-Man, the Terminator Reboot, the new Jurassic Park movie, the Mad Max reboot, and whatever big rear end tentpole film is coming out in the summer of 2015.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't know why you keep putting Ant-Man in those kinds of lists.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Because how loving crazy is that? I put money on Antman being better (or at least more fun, but probably both) than BMvsSM.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

This is a good thing. Now I have two years to stress out about this movie instead of just one.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Gaz-L posted:

Watch it be Ms/Captain Marvel. The press release will just be a picture of Kevin Feige flipping off a WB logo.

I'd love us to get Captain Marvel at some point, but I'm thinking Disney/Marvel would go with a more established property against DC in that big a head to head battle. Could be Doctor Strange, but I think it would largely depend on who they end up casting. Someone like Depp/Cumberbatch? That would probably cause enough hype to get a good draw. Otherwise I think there will be a lot of "Who the gently caress is 'Captain Marvel'?" and "Who the gently caress is Doctor Strange? What kind of name is that?". Obviously Iron Man had some of that initially, and Ant-Man will too. I trust Marvel's ability to get the masses informed, but they'll be starting with an uphill battle now with whatever they choose.

Captain Marvel could potentially work against BVS, but they might have to build it up as something more than a solo movie debut though. Not sure what that could be, maybe add the Hulk and Skrulls (which I think are fine, save Super Skrull?). Or feature some of the GotG if their film really takes off? There's an obvious cosmic hook there to tie to with the Kree, so it would probably be a big Thanos build towards Avengers 3.

What other properties have been rumored for Phase 3? Black Panther? I'm not really sure what would work for that slot. All three seem to lack the oomph to stand much chance. Because as it stands, I can imagine a lot of press "Batman and Superman versus Doctor Second Tier Hero: Marvel's Movie Dominance Finally Ends" type headlines.

Edit: There's actually an interesting interview with Feige http://www.slashfilm.com/film-interview-thor-the-dark-world-producer-kevin-feige/, where he talks about how a nice rhythm with two films a year is to have one be about an existing character, and the other be used to introduce a new one (Winter Soldier/GotG, Age of Ultron/Ant-Man). So for that slot, it would probably be an existing character. In that linked interview, he really didn't seem to promote Thor 3 as something on their plate, so it wouldn't be that. I think Iron Man is being left for the Avengers, so Captain America, Hulk, GotG? Maybe Marvel could go totally low key and do a Hawkguy movie.

Teek fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jan 18, 2014

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
People have trotted out long lists of reasons why Marvel's fighting an uphill battle with their most recent, upcoming release since they first announced Iron Man, helmed by Robert Downey Jr. I didn't really buy it then and I certainly don't buy it now that they're an established brand with an immense amount of consumer goodwill and visibility.

Captain Marvel, Dr. Strange, Black Panther, yes, they are less palatable than say, Iron Man at face value, but unless Guardians of the Galaxy is some insanely costly bomb, all this hand-wringing and worrying about what appeals to the mass audience is starting to seem more and more absurd with each film they put out.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Any film that comes out in phase 3 will be coming out in a fully developed universe, so it will have an easier time than Iron Man, though they'd be smart to lay in the ground work in phase 2, ideally in Avengers 2. Its how far along in shooting? There's no reason they can't add Agent Carol Danvers so a scene, as you know there will be some jet fighter action, and you just have to show an insert of a woman getting in a plane and the camera pans down showing "Col Carol Danvers "Warbird"" on the side. Natalie Portman gets injured and shes put in the hospital under the care of Dr Steven Strange. T'challa is shown to be at the UN during Ultron's attack. All that could be done inserts.

You know, I honestly cannot see GoG or Antman becoming trilogies, unless they want to do some kind of Kree-Skrull war in a GoG sequel.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas, Edgar Wright, Marvel Phase 3 are some good reasons why.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The phase naming is terrible but it's ridiculous to believe that Marvel's film plans for 2016 is Captain Marvel/Black Panther and not just Thor 3 and Cap 3. Especially after the ending of Thor 2.

Also the BatmanvsSupes delay is good news, we can only hope that Gal Gadot can use that time to add on mass.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jan 18, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

teagone posted:

Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas, Edgar Wright, Marvel Phase 3 are some good reasons why.

Those are some reasons it will probably be good, but not necessarily successful. Certainly not something WB is afraid of at any rate.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Those are some reasons it will probably be good, but not necessarily successful. Certainly not something WB is afraid of at any rate.

I never said WB is afraid of anything, that's dumb. I just meant it'd probably mean a better box office for BvS if it wasn't sandwiched between all the other big rear end summer tentpole films. Especially considering the lukewarm response to MoS from critics.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Isn't there a rumor that BvS was delayed due to Affleck getting injured?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

HorseRenoir posted:

A 10 month injury?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

HorseRenoir posted:

Rumor was he broke his leg skiing, but that's been debunked. There's another rumor going around that it was a rib injury, which is also bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The only rumor I will accept is that he got injured but trying to actually fight crime in an attempt to better understand his Batman character.

• Locked thread