Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
also I'm really surprised no one postedf this exact vid yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb5QaCfm7bg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
every two years i think of that vid and then can't stop laughing at it for about a month, then repeat the process

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Spanish Manlove posted:

every two years i think of that vid and then can't stop laughing at it for about a month, then repeat the process

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
he looks like johnny ramone's autistic cousin they locked up in the attic

Mountain Dew Code Bread
Mar 20, 2008

Good lord does that guitar really have a 29 fret fretboard?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Consist posted:

yes and i;'m pretty sure he uses every one

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
have something to wash that hairspray smell away, NONIRONIC GOOD VIDEO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLWlqBH9nrU

check out the marty felddman lookin piano player

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light

Consist posted:

29? Pfft. This one's got 30! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqpm1xy-t_A

Before you know it you'll be playing notes on, like, the 22nd fret and it's really easy and you're, like, woah. I can't believe they haven't made a 9-string version of this yet.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Spanish Manlove posted:

Please don't docxx Faustus

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

mclast posted:

looking for pickups but i found this beauty

That's a loving Alembic, isn't it? I know they're supposed to play like butter, but Jesus Christ they look horrible and everyone who uses them either sounds meh (Stanley Clarke) or doesn't sound any different than they did when they were using Fenders (John Paul Jones). Bass players are the worst gearheads out of anyone, and will buy up any poo poo with a $2,000+ price tag.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

iostream.h posted:

gently caress it.
Ugly (according to the thread anyway, I loving love it) lawyer guitar PRS on this one. You can't hear the other guitar player in this, so it's all on my head.
I'm on the far left, out of scene for most of it, but here y'go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REH5pNnqU34

it's like this: taste is up to each individual person, and if you like your guitar, good for you. just don't be weird if people hate your guitar for whatever reason. a prs is totally a bluesdad guitar but gently caress it man if that's what you like to play that's what you like to play and gently caress the haters

Spanish Manlove posted:

he looks like johnny ramone's autistic cousin they locked up in the attic

he's aged so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ8ml7eENuI

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

we could really just call this the michael angelo batio/chris impellitteri megathread because oh man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bf2oZVe3FY

e: bonus- here's a tribute to randy rhoads that totally misses the point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdJiygGRm_g&t=148s

Declan MacManus fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 18, 2014

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Tempus Fugit posted:

I'm pleased you haven't lost sight of the importance of tone. I cringe at the thought of doing 220bpm diminished sweep arpeggios through my line6 rig if you had chosen a regular sharpie, normal paint and finish.

I have been reliably informed that using an inferior make of marker will clog the wood pores and ruin the sustain. Rest assured that I will tap-test many sharpie markers until I find the right one.

Harry in Rio posted:

If you own an ugly guitar, you should video yourself doing something songy in it. Bonus points for a bitchin' solo.

Up the ante. If you do a really good piece of work and the thread abides, I'll mail you this perfectly working Boss Super Chorus Pedal (CH-1) that I completely hate if you live in the USA. If you live outside of that, I'll paypal you 20 bux.

Ugliest guitar = bonus points. I am not exempt from this poo poo. I have access to a loving really ugly guitar and I will submit an example. I don't want to win. I really don't.

We're mostly adults here so the voting will be pretty obvious. In the event of a tie or a deadlock, or we can't figure out who won, we'll go into another round or someshit.

If you don't receive the fuckin pedal or 20 bux I toxx clause myself (within 20 days of closing this competition) Worst example also wins some points. If you are so bad that you're amazing, you have to busk somewhere, and I don't give a gently caress if you live in Antarctica, you better get on some live web poo poo and busk there, fucko.

This competition closes on January 25th at 7 pm USA Eastern time.

Well this I cannot wait to see.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Declan MacManus posted:

it's like this: taste is up to each individual person, and if you like your guitar, good for you. just don't be weird if people hate your guitar for whatever reason. a prs is totally a bluesdad guitar but gently caress it man if that's what you like to play that's what you like to play and gently caress the haters
Hey, I appreciate that sentiment a lot.

It's all good really, I dig my flamey-topped, gaudy things, but there'll always be someone that doesn't. Les Paul divided everyone with their chambering/weight relief, PRS with the 'heel' and CNC, it's no big thing. (I DO get testy about the blues dad thing because I AM older, but I hate the blues). No worries! I just wanted to throw that into the ring since it met the criteria, having been determined earlier to be an ugly guitar and it's me making music type sounds come out of it. :)

Besides, if I REALLY cared what people thought, being in Alabama, I'd be playing a Telecaster in some country band somewhere trying to figure out why my ol' lady sisterwife took my dogs when she left with my house trailer.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
White Dog Eggs and I been in talks to make this a reality

gonna get my own station waguitar :3:

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Needs some green to be a proper VistaCruiser tho'.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Mineaiki posted:

That's a loving Alembic, isn't it? I know they're supposed to play like butter, but Jesus Christ they look horrible and everyone who uses them either sounds meh (Stanley Clarke) or doesn't sound any different than they did when they were using Fenders (John Paul Jones). Bass players are the worst gearheads out of anyone, and will buy up any poo poo with a $2,000+ price tag.

yes it is, and yes bassists are. the custom ones are always this weird faux-naturalistic style too

iostream.h posted:

Needs some green to be a proper VistaCruiser tho'.
googled them and they own. everything owns

mclast fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 18, 2014

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass

mclast posted:

i need this. make the body that nasty oldsmobile green and make the pick guard veneer or something

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

mclast posted:

Am I a bad person for unironically liking this

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Fax Sr posted:

i need this. make the body that nasty oldsmobile green and make the pick guard veneer or something

needs to be that right mix of avocado and pea green to get the proper family truckster look

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Help goons. Is my guitar ugly?

I need goon approval. I can't enjoy it without your approval but if you don't like it I'm gonna pop in every 2 days to tell you how much better I am than all of you.

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
its ugly yeah

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
need a sideshot is that neckbinding?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

mclast posted:

need a sideshot is that neckbinding?

Totes

It's awkward as all gently caress, it's more neck heavy than any SG ever

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
i mean it probably gives you a ton of indie cred and as long as you enjoy playing it

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I have 0 credibility, just like my credit score.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
neck binding = sustain for days bro

seriously i like your.. squier jazzmaster? too

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Malden Liquid http://www.maldenguitars.com/liquid.htm

LudwigVon Lugnuts
May 15, 2005

When the hell did I put Greenman on?!!

I have some pretty sweet wood left over from doing my floors, now I wonder if I can make a guitar out of it

E: I unironically like your guitars bro just thought they looked a lot like your flooring

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

LudwigVon Lugnuts posted:

E: I unironically like your guitars bro just thought they looked a lot like your flooring

Well than I guess I don't hate you after all and don't need to defend myself pointlessly for 2 solid weeks

LudwigVon Lugnuts
May 15, 2005

When the hell did I put Greenman on?!!
Ok, we're not there yet buddy. Please describe in excruciating detail your feelings on Kings X

ThanatosOfOne
Mar 24, 2009
81 pages and no Schecters? I love my C1 blackjack to death, but this thing....

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

ThanatosOfOne posted:

81 pages and no Schecters? I love my C1 blackjack to death, but this thing....

hot topic: the guitar

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Declan MacManus posted:

hot topic: the guitar

you joke but schecter guitar research spent 5 years and millions in r&d to create a proprietary scratch and sniff paint for the finish that smells like axe body spray. dark temptation to be exact

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

comes along bort posted:

you joke but schecter guitar research spent 5 years and millions in r&d to create a proprietary scratch and sniff paint for the finish that smells like axe body spray. dark temptation to be exact

and to think in the 70's they were helping guitarists by weighing down their poo poo with brass parts

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY
I think it's only ugly if you play pretentious horrible bullshit. I mean, sometimes I weld poo poo and I have to do it in a hurry, just to make something work (like an irrigation pipe, or a cracked intake manifold on a tractor) and I know what I've done could be dressed with a grinder, but man, it's beautiful if it works. Especially if it's bone chilling cold and you're out of your mind trying to convince yourself that "give it one more go - you're made of tougher poo poo, make this motherfucker work" is going to pay off.

Function over form.

So lets hear some function, fuckos. Make that ugly poo poo sing and soar you loving faggots.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

HollisBrown posted:

Totes

It's awkward as all gently caress, it's more neck heavy than any SG ever

I have it on good authority you can lighten that right up by cutting a handle into it.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

BetterTasteThnU posted:

I have it on good authority you can lighten that right up by cutting a handle into it.

A handle. In the neck. Right through the 4th, 5th, and 6th frets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

thelightguy posted:

A handle. In the neck. Right through the 4th, 5th, and 6th frets.

Or into that boat paddle of a headstock.

But for reals, Hollis. You're cool as poo poo in ML, so if you're down with that plank, I can't hate on it.

• Locked thread