Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

The number of games they produce per year would probably go DOWN if they got out of the hardware business, because there'd be an imperative to have larger success for each game.

I suppose they could increase their role as a publisher and bring more studios in. But that's not necessarily easy street.

They do have things like Retro and a few others handling stuff for them so its not out of the question.

I think their best bet if they plan to sell on competitor consoles is to leverage existing value into insanely good royalty fees and get a custom store app on PS4/Bone and basically use that while they try to rebuild themselves into a bigger content publisher.

That said none of that will happen as long as the 3DS is successful so expect IOS, PC, and Android and only going to Playstation/Microsoft if the 3DS successor bites it.

Edit: I'd be super hesitant to say they'd work with Sony in any capicity without a huuuuuge sum of money as long as the 3DS is successful and Sony is pushing a handheld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The number of games they produce per year would probably go DOWN if they got out of the hardware business, because there'd be an imperative to have larger success for each game.

I suppose they could increase their role as a publisher and bring more studios in. But that's not necessarily easy street.

I expect it means bad things for anything not named New Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing or Pokemon.

I hoped for a new Fire Emblem but odds are probably nil for that now. :smith: I'm assuming even SMTxFE is probably toast.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Barudak posted:

That said none of that will happen as long as the 3DS is successful so expect IOS, PC, and Android and only going to Playstation/Microsoft if the 3DS successor bites it.

This doesn't make any sense. Wouldn't a mobile version of Nintendo's games be in direct competition with Nintendo's handheld? Obviously it's a different story when the mobile apps are smaller things like Pokemon Amie or something, but for actual games?

EDIT: Also, holy poo poo, that stock change is dramatic. Investors really did not like that financial statement. :stare:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

This doesn't make any sense. Wouldn't a mobile version of Nintendo's games be in direct competition with Nintendo's handheld? Obviously it's a different story when the mobile apps are smaller things like Pokemon Amie or something, but for actual games?

I think that is what they'll do, not what I think is smart if that makes sense. I also would wager the phone games wouldn't be anything like the 3DS titles.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
To me it reads like the next DS will have a slot for a sim card or that they're looking into making a Nintendophone or straight up tablet/controller combo that isn't a home console.

Would Nintendo get old nationalistic investors on board easily for something like that? Sony phones suck and everything else relevant is made by Samsung/Asus/Huawei/Apple...

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 17, 2014

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Question, does the Nikkei open on saturdays? Cause right now nintendo is taking a beating and I dont know if its futures or after hours trading or what.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=NTDOY

It's priced in dollars, so you're probably looking at a Nasdaq stock or something. But still, yeesh, down 15%.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

King of Solomon posted:

EDIT: Also, holy poo poo, that stock change is dramatic. Investors really did not like that financial statement. :stare:

Yeah, isn't Nintendo on your phone going to destroy the 3DS, their success story?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If I were Nintendo and made the decision to kill the WiiU (which I'm not saying they'll do) I'd probably go to Sony/MS and basically try and get an exclusivity deal where I can get programming access into their consoles for the next system and sell games through a custom, high royalty store in their pages. It lets you leverage the successful business, stifle competition, and earn money as a console developer while you rebuild from this failure without completely exiting hardware.

The fact that Microsoft would assuredly take them on such an offer means Sony would likely have to counterbid so Nintendo would have safety from getting bought up outright and help kill the Vita*.

*Even more, but like, forever this time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There's no way either competitor would let a custom store into their walled gardens without demanding an additional 30% cut of all sales and Nintendo would never accept that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There's no way either competitor would let a custom store into their walled gardens without demanding a 30% cut of all sales and Nintendo would never do that.

Given the way Nintendo games sell and the threat of going exclusive on a competitor I think they could pull some serious, EA-caliber poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

Given the way Nintendo games sell and the threat of going exclusive on a competitor I think they could pull some serious, EA-caliber poo poo.

Activision and Rockstar get sweetheart deals and even they don't get deals that sweetheart. Nintendo could argue for some kind of a sweetheart deal if they theoretically decided to go third party but not remotely that good.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Barudak posted:

The fact that Microsoft would assuredly take them on such an offer means Sony would likely have to counterbid so Nintendo would have safety from getting bought

*Even more, but like, forever this time.

Think bigger man. Super Mario Galaxy 3: ONLY on SteamBox.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Activision and Rockstar get sweetheart deals and even they don't get deals that sweetheart.

To be honest, I don't think they could get that sweetheart a deal. They should try though.

Besides, their ability if they go 3DS only to just walk away from the deal gives a lot of leverage Activision or Rockstar don't have and their game franchises have moved insane units over the last 30 years not just the last 10.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Either way, Nintendo ditching the hardware business would be excellent news in my opinion. They can make good games, but they're utterly incapable of making good hardware and it's about time they gave up and focused on what they're actually good at.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Given the way Nintendo's been operating recently, even if they did go third party, I'd say the chance of them working with Microsoft or Valve specifically is still pretty much zero. Neither of them have any real presence in Japan, which is clearly all Nintendo cares about.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

Given the way Nintendo's been operating recently, even if they did go third party, I'd say the chance of them working with Microsoft or Valve specifically is still pretty much zero. Neither of them have any real presence in Japan, which is clearly all Nintendo cares about.

I don't think shareholders would accept that at this point to be totally honest. When they were raking in dough hand over fist nobody questioned them and Japan primary was fine. Now that they're hemorrhaging money and their share price is getting crushed they can't stick with that strategy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, Nintendo really can't go anyone but Sony, not as long as the X-Box One might as well not exist in Japan and PC gaming is what it is. Their Japanese audience is too important to them to give up.

Barudak posted:

I don't think shareholders would accept that at this point to be totally honest.

Yeah, I'm sure Japanese shareholders are going to be completely okay with Nintendo giving up the Japanese market, especially when Nintendo games (at least on the 3DS) do sell huge numbers there.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

King of Solomon posted:

Shareholders like money though, so it's a wash

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Goddamn a 17% dive in one day. I'm no economist, but I'm pretty sure that means you done hosed up.

Whatever is in the pipeline for the WiiU now is likely all its going to get- and not even all of it either. I hope you didn't buy a WiiU for Bayonetta. :sweatdrop:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

THE loving MOON posted:

Whatever is in the pipeline for the WiiU now is likely all its going to get- and not even all of it either. I hope you didn't buy a WiiU for Bayonetta. :sweatdrop:

They are not going to cancel a game that is largely finished and that they'd advertised repeatedly. SMTxFE? Yeah, that's probably done. Bayonetta 2 and X are both probably still coming out. (And even then I'd say X is the iffier of those two.)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I'm sure Japanese shareholders are going to be completely okay with Nintendo giving up the Japanese market, especially when Nintendo games (at least on the 3DS) do sell huge numbers there.

I don't mean giving up on the Japanese market, just that investors won't let them pursue a Japanese only or even Japanese primary path. Part of that would likely entail reaching out to millions of additional customers even if that product moves nothing in Japan.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

I don't mean giving up on the Japanese market, just that investors won't let them pursue a Japanese only or even Japanese primary path. Part of that would likely entail reaching out to millions of additional customers even if that product moves nothing in Japan.

If you went to Microsoft you would be giving up the Japanese market. That isn't going to happen because no company is going to just shrug and give up selling in their home market, especially when the home market contributes to their sales in ways besides just games sold. (Things like Pokemon merch which does better in Japan than it does in the US these days.)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

If you went to Microsoft you would be giving up the Japanese market. That isn't going to happen because no company is going to just shrug and give up selling in their home market.

I was implying they'd go to both, and if that didn't come across my fault. If they can only pick one its Sony every day. But theres no reason they wouldn't go to both because if there were chance to do so investors would want it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ImpAtom posted:

If you went to Microsoft you would be giving up the Japanese market. That isn't going to happen because no company is going to just shrug and give up selling in their home market.
If your first move after ditching being a hardware manufacturer is to go exclusive to either Microsoft or Sony you're a massive, massive truckload of stupids, though.

Which, yes, Nintendo. But still.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

After all the arguments in Games over the topic of Nintendo targeting other platforms, to see it coming from Iwata is surreal. I have to wonder if it's really what it sounds like.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Toady posted:

After all the arguments in Games over the topic of Nintendo targeting other platforms, to see it coming from Iwata is surreal. I have to wonder if it's really what it sounds like.

This is Nintendo, after all. Maybe they'll interpret smartphone to mean that they should start making horrible smart phones with friend codes instead of phone numbers and 3D screens that give kids headaches. WiiPhoneU, $349, two year contract with AT&T.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
On a positive note, Nintendo and even Wii U is doing okay in France, so the whole European market isn't screwed: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=753314

(c'est super! :france:)

zarron
Sep 1, 2005
I'm finding it funny how people are talking about Nintendo being 3rd party now. Especially since everyone was saying it was impossible earlier in the thread and during the slow sales of the Wii U.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

zarron posted:

I'm finding it funny how people are talking about Nintendo being 3rd party now. Especially since everyone was saying it was impossible earlier in the thread and during the slow sales of the Wii U.

It still seems pretty unlikely that Nintendo will go third party, but Iwata specifically suggesting they have plans for mobile is giving people pause. Most likely this is just small stuff designed to avoid competing with the 3DS, but we don't know that.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

zarron posted:

I don't know how people can look at Sega and think "yes this is the way to go".

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Everyone knows what Nintendo are like, they will talk up this mobile stuff like it is some huge change in strategy and then release a companion app for Donkey Kong then scratch their heads when no one gives a gently caress.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I took what Iwata said about mobile phones to mean that they understand they lost the market they grabbed with the Wii and are looking to see how they can better adapt to that kind of market.

Hell, it might just mean they know they need to change how they do things and used smart phones as an example of something that they've been looking into.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

I don't know how people can look at Sega and think "yes this is the way to go".

Do you think they would have done better if they kept making consoles?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

zarron posted:

I think where this is going is Nintendo focusing primarily on 3DS after their next fiscal year of Wii U software is wrapped up. I think Wii U support should be considered hooked up to an iron lung at this point.

If they had only had the 3DS this year it would have been a profitable year for them. The most logical next step is to scale back from Wii U and focus on what is actually bringing in money.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I think where this is going is Nintendo focusing primarily on 3DS after their next fiscal year of Wii U software is wrapped up. I think Wii U support should be considered hooked up to an iron lung at this point.

If they had only had the 3DS this year it would have been a profitable year for them. The most logical next step is to scale back from Wii U and focus on what is actually bringing in money.

So no console Metroid game, huh?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I'm amazed at the drop in share price in response to the slashed sales predictions and statements today... because who the hell didn't realise that that their previous forecasts were complete bollocks, and that the Wii U's yearly sales getting outpaced by a 5 week old PS4 and XB1 was a VERY bad sign? Investors shouldn't have needed Nintendo to straight up say "things are bad" to know it was so. Efficient market hypothesis lol.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Shakugan posted:

I'm amazed at the drop in share price in response to the slashed sales predictions and statements today... because who the hell didn't realise that that their previous forecasts were complete bollocks, and that the Wii U's yearly sales getting outpaced by a 5 week old PS4 and XB1 was a VERY bad sign? Investors shouldn't have needed Nintendo to straight up say "things are bad" to know it was so. Efficient market hypothesis lol.

You're right that most people who are paying attention (as I'm sure Nintendo shareholders are) should have expected a downward revision, but I don't think anyone expected the revision to be so dramatic.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

So no console Metroid game, huh?

Sakamoto pretty much murdered that franchise.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Shakugan posted:

People really give "investors" too much credit some times. I'm sitting on a ton of shares of Sirius Satellite Radio, I don't exactly read up on the news about it every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

The news coverage is brutal. Forbes has a "game over" headline and says this about the 3DS:

quote:

The once unassailable 3DS handheld is also in free fall. Instead of selling the 18 million the company expected, it will deliver a third less. Those results are down from last year and worse still for Nintendo, game sales on the 3DS will be down 15%. For a long time, the belief has been that the effect of smartphones on Nintendo sales has been limited. It’s no longer possible to make that case.

• Locked thread