Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
This is getting real interesting now. It's like an anything goes thing at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Toady posted:

The news coverage is brutal. Forbes has a "game over" headline and says this about the 3DS:

Who cares? just keep putting out Pokemom.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

I said come in! posted:

Yeah well they can't even release the Pokémon Bank in America at this point ...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toady posted:

The news coverage is brutal. Forbes has a "game over" headline and says this about the 3DS:

The numbers in that article are actually inaccurate. 3DS Software is up 33%, not down 15%.

Edit: I see people in the comments are also discussing it and they've already attached a caveat to the article. Also the original quote cited loving P4Rgaming, which is exactly the kind of effort put into this piece.

Nintendo is unarguably in bad shape but this ain't exactly a good article.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 18, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

So no console Metroid game, huh?
I'm not sure we'll even get a mainline Zelda title on Wii U. I mean that's beyond 2014 and at this point anything beyond 2014 is probably completely in limbo right now.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm not sure we'll even get a mainline Zelda title on Wii U. I mean that's beyond 2014 and at this point anything beyond 2014 is probably completely in limbo right now.

I'm real curious in what's going to happen to Monolith. I mean the Xeno series has survived 3 platforms, does it end with Xenoblade or can X be made for a different console under a new name(or any name for that matter)?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'm real curious in what's going to happen to Monolith. I mean the Xeno series has survived 3 platforms, does it end with Xenoblade or can X be made for a different console under a new name(or any name for that matter)?

Monolith is a first party Nintendo developer.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Toady posted:

quote:

Correction: An earlier version of this post contained a number of errors regarding sales figures as well as a satirical quote attributed to Nintendo’s CEO.

Ahahaha did he really use P4RGAMING as a source for a quote?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

Monolith is a first party Nintendo developer.
Yeah but if the Wii-U dies they really haven't put a whole lot of work into other games.

I mean I'd like them to be bought out like Violation so their game could be released on a better platform.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

Yeah but if the Wii-U dies they really haven't put a whole lot of work into other games.

I mean I'd like them to be bought out like Violation so their game could be released on a better platform.

Nintendo bought Monolith recently and Monolith employees work on various games for them, not just X. They are not selling them to another company. Even if they did, they would not be allowing Monolith to take Nintendo-owned IP with them. If X doesn't come out for the Wii U it isn't coming out at all.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Viewtiful Jew posted:

This forum got into the habit of thinking Forbes is amazing because they agreed with the gooncensus regarding the Mass Effect 3 ending incident, but in the end their game journalism is no different from any other.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I can't imagine anything from this coming fiscal year canned, I just don't see anything beyond this year staying as it is. I would expect Mario Kart, DKCR:TF, Smash Bros, X, Yarn Yoshi and Bayonetta 2 to all clear through still. It only feels like some of those games are further off than they actually are because Nintendo doesn't reveal anything about their games until shortly before they arrive.

But.. any title being developed beyond 2014, especially in house, has gotta be up in the air at this point.

And I don't think Nintendo can afford to strategically schedule games to fit the back half of the year to force more holiday sales. These games just have to come out when they're done.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Nintendo bought Monolith recently and Monolith employees work on various games for them, not just X. They are not selling them to another company. Even if they did, they would not be allowing Monolith to take Nintendo-owned IP with them. If X doesn't come out for the Wii U it isn't coming out at all.

They can slap Xeno something into whatever they want and call it a new IP. Its what they've been doing since xenogears. :v:

But no, nintendo isn't going to be doing away them because even if they wanted to sell it, I dont think a whole lot of companies would be willing to buy them out anyways.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

I really doubt this since they reworked the Panzer Dragoon Sequel into Crimson Dragon.

Yeah the game sucks because it's bogged down with microtransactions. But if they weren't there it would have been a fine sequel to Orta.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They can slap Xeno something into whatever they want and call it a new IP. Its what they've been doing since xenogears. :v:

But no, nintendo isn't going to be doing away them because even if they wanted to sell it, I dont think a whole lot of companies would be willing to buy them out anyways.

Oh, they totally could, but I'm talking about X the game in particular. They couldn't be bought out and publish it for another company like Saint's Row 4.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Someone here mentioned one time that P4Gaming is great because they're just like the Onion except they're so new many people don't know about them yet. And I agree with that because then it causes people to cite them like they're an actual news source in articles like this.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I said come in! posted:

The Pokemon bank made their servers explode in Japan, what do you think is gonna happen when it comes out in the states?

There is still no release either for the bank in the US or UK, its insane.

And what company would want X anyway, maybe Xseed or Atlus? Its not gonna be a big selling game so anyone grabbing it would be taking a huge risk.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

So no console Metroid game, huh?

Fusion and Zero Mission were pretty cool, I don't think anybody would mind if they continued making traditional 2D Metroid games on 3DS? Then again it's Nintendo so they'd probably force some hideous 3D art style and terrible gimmicks :(

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sadly 2D Metroid died when Zero Mission flopped. Due to the nostalgia and packaging and bad taste of the most hardcore Nintendo fans, the NES Classic Metroid port sold more than Zero Mission, the incredible game with also HAS the NES Metroid on it. :(

Hopefully SMT vs. Fire Emblem will end up being made for the 3DS as that will be easy money on that platform. Do they even have anything announced/shown off at all that would come out beyond 2014? I know typically they don't announce stuff too long before release but no Zelda announcenent yet, etc. means they probably already killed anything that would have been second half of 2015.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

This forum got into the habit of thinking Forbes is amazing because they agreed with the gooncensus regarding the Mass Effect 3 ending incident, but in the end their game journalism is no different from any other.

I don't have an opinion about Forbes other than as something Nintendo shareholders might be reading today. It was an example of the brutal news coverage.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, they totally could, but I'm talking about X the game in particular. They couldn't be bought out and publish it for another company like Saint's Row 4.

We really don't know a whole lot about X other than it features robots, anime guys, and dinosaurs.

Like those three things could be easily be put in another game and call it Xenowhatever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MUFFlNS posted:

Fusion and Zero Mission were pretty cool, I don't think anybody would mind if they continued making traditional 2D Metroid games on 3DS? Then again it's Nintendo so they'd probably force some hideous 3D art style and terrible gimmicks :(

2D Metroid games do not actually sell that hot. The 3D Metroids are the best sellers the franchise has ever had.

The Taint Reaper posted:

We really don't know a whole lot about X other than it features robots, anime guys, and dinosaurs.

Like those three things could be easily be put in another game and call it Xenowhatever.

Atlus is owned by Sega. Sega releases poo poo on Steam.

X is a game that has been funded by Nintendo to be published by Nintendo and is being developed by a first party Nintendo developer. Unless Nintendo literally goes out of business and everything they are developing is sold off like what happened to THQ, Monolith can not just take content they've already worked on and give it to someone else even in the it-isn't-going-to-happen situation they get sold off to some other developer.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I find it surreal that Nintendo would not release a Zelda for their console.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Alteisen posted:

And what company would want X anyway, maybe Xseed or Atlus? Its not gonna be a big selling game so anyone grabbing it would be taking a huge risk.
Atlus is owned by Sega. Sega releases poo poo on Steam.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Toady posted:

I don't have an opinion about Forbes other than as something Nintendo shareholders might be reading today. It was an example of the brutal news coverage.

Sorry I was blunt I didn't mean you personally, it's just whenever Forbes is wrong about something there's always a few posts where people are shocked or surprised that, surprise, their game section is run by game journalists.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I can't help but feel like a big part of Nintendo's problem is they absolutely refuse to advertise anything. You could sell people a cup of hot poo poo if you advertised it enough.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

I find it surreal that Nintendo would not release a Zelda for their console.
A Zelda that sells to the current Wii U install base is not going to be the return that Nintendo would want for a franchise that significant. They'd make a profit but it wouldn't be good enough.

Like, if they even met halfway inbetween their outdated projections and their current projections, maybe it'd be different. But if Mario 3D World isn't selling then why invest so much money and time into a Zelda that won't sell, when you have a handheld platform where you know a Zelda -will- sell?

Lemming posted:

I can't help but feel like a big part of Nintendo's problem is they absolutely refuse to advertise anything. You could sell people a cup of hot poo poo if you advertised it enough.
They do advertise, they just choose only to advertise on children's networks. Don't ask me.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Toady posted:

Well what does Pachter think?

quote:

So what's the solution for Nintendo? In Pachter's opinion, the company must swallow its pride and start publishing its first-rate software on competing platforms. Then, once Nintendo is ready to bring a more competitive console to the market, it can withdraw its support from the other systems and focus on its own platform again.

Under its current business model, if Nintendo discontinued the Wii U, it would sell no console software. We believe that it should reconsider its 'all proprietary, all the time' model, and should consider making its proprietary console software available on other platforms until it is able to release a new console. Once Nintendo has a new console on the market, we think it would make sense for the company to pull all of its software from the PS4 and Xbox One, and go back to being a proprietary software maker. In the meantime, we believe that the company has a problem that it is not acknowledging or addressing," he stated.

It's not even the core idea that gets me but the "it would make sense to then pull all of the software they made for other systems off the marketplaces and run" part.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Are some people here seriously saying the Wii U could be canned in 2015? That's not Nintendos M.O.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The numbers in that article are actually inaccurate. 3DS Software is up 33%, not down 15%.

I think he's saying that the software sales forecast was revised downward by 15%. Wish I had seen the article when the satirical quote was still included; that's funny.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Pixeltendo posted:

Are some people here seriously saying the Wii U could be canned in 2015? That's not Nintendos M.O.

What is their M.O.? The only other examples are the Virtual Boy and the Nintendo 64 Disk Drive. Both tanked so hard that their specific situations don't even apply.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
While I will be surprised if Nintendo formally kills off the WiiU, I won't be surprised if they stop making games for it after 2015 and redouble their efforts on the 3DS.

Neo Rasa posted:

I suppose the big problem with Forbes is their Contributor system meaning they're pretty much as good as Kotaku's Talk Amongst Yourselves or Destructoid's Contributor Blogs (i.e. not very).

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Pixeltendo posted:

It's going to get crushed in japan when the PS4 launches in a few weeks.

It has no support in America or Europe either, it can't really be extended that much past this year.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Isn't this what people thought Sega was doing?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Toady posted:

I think he's saying that the software sales forecast was revised downward by 15%. Wish I had seen the article when the satirical quote was still included; that's funny.

It was probably the Iwata christmas miracle one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toady posted:

The software sales were revised down but still were up significantly from the previous years. Especially before he revised the article it was clear he misunderstood the numbers. (Which is why he's talking about 'free fall')

Mind you, poo poo is still seriously bad for Nintendo but it isn't "The 3DS is imploding" bad.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

It was probably the Iwata christmas miracle one.

It was the one about how Nintendo fans don't have enough kids and they should start having kids.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

What is their M.O.? The only other examples are the Virtual Boy and the Nintendo 64 Disk Drive. Both tanked so hard that their specific situations don't even apply.
Nintendo is all about Long term gain, canning the Wii U in it's Third year doesn't do any good when they don't even know what to do right now with the system.

I don't think Nintendo can afford to waste a year trying to come up with the next appealing system that can compete with the PS4/Xbone while having an attractive price-point and games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There isn't a lot Nintendo can do. They can't even offer the Wii U as a budget alternative because it isn't getting ports of games. They really really hosed themselves with it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Pixeltendo posted:

Nintendo is all about Long term gain, canning the Wii U in it's Third year doesn't do any good when they don't even know what to do right now with the system.
A console that's draining all your money away and will only sell worse as time goes by is the exact opposite of long term gain. The absolute best thing they can do is write it off and get to work on a replacement that can not only hang with the PS4/One, but outpaces them. And they can't pull any quirky hardware bullshit either; x86 and blu-ray or they're dead before they start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Honest talk: I'd buy a Wii U if the bundle included 3D World instead of NSMBU.

In the 16-bit era, Nintendo was pretty aggressive about pack-in games. As soon as Super Mario All-Stars came out, it was packed into the same cartridge as Super Mario World(!) and included with consoles. Part of this is because Sega kept putting newer and newer Sonic games in the Genesis.

3D World has a nearly Game Of The Year level reputation, NSMBWiiU did not. If you packed it in, the system in my consumer-brain becomes a $250 system that mandates I buy a game that I was going to buy anyway.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 18, 2014

• Locked thread