Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

CPColin posted:

Among the three locations, the one in downtown SLO is far and away the relative worst. Go for the original in Pismo.

I know you really meant to say McLintock's. You may never have a better steak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just put in a new backyard with tons of grass, jokes on you nature :smug:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Imposing water use restrictions on residents is stupid when you realize that like 80% of california's water is used by industry and agriculture. That number is right out of my rear end, but it's not far off.

I already haven't been watering the lawn or washing the car, and I have a high-efficiency washer. So the only way for me to make a 20% reduction in water use is to stop using the diswasher and take fewer/shorter showers. The guy down the street who has a pool can eliminate like 50% of his water usage by just draining it, and anyone with a green lawn can kill 20% by letting it die. It's quite annoying that people who are already water-conservers get punished more harshly.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

I know you really meant to say McLintock's. You may never have a better steak.

Okay, early lunch at Splash Cafe, walk it off on the beach, dinner at McLintock's.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

nm posted:

Meth and crime happens.

Most of the meth production was pushed out of the Inland Empire in the mid 2000s into Mexico and the Central Valley and the Inland Empire has many cities ranked among the safest in the state, such as Rancho Cucamonga, Eastvale and Murrietta.

I know the I.E. is the butt of everyone's jokes, but it's still one of the fastest growing regions of the country and increasingly becoming another extension of Orange and LA counties as people are priced out of those markets. Home prices are rising, higher-end developments are going up, old farmland and industrial areas are being grazed in preparation of new developments and the stagnant employment numbers are slowly improving. The I.E. is the second-fastest growing area for tech jobs if you can believe it.

The fact is the IE is a huge, huge place quickly filling up working class families who can no longer afford to live where they work. Families are moving in and quickly transforming many area. In 10 years time so much will change and the area has a lot of offer for a lot of people.

I wouldn't recommend anyone visit though if their goal is to "see California".

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Imposing water use restrictions on residents is stupid when you realize that like 80% of california's water is used by industry and agriculture. That number is right out of my rear end, but it's not far off.

I already haven't been watering the lawn or washing the car, and I have a high-efficiency washer. So the only way for me to make a 20% reduction in water use is to stop using the diswasher and take fewer/shorter showers. The guy down the street who has a pool can eliminate like 50% of his water usage by just draining it, and anyone with a green lawn can kill 20% by letting it die. It's quite annoying that people who are already water-conservers get punished more harshly.

I think you don't understand how water works, if you think randomly draining a pool would reduce water usage. Not filling the pool when is gets low will save water.

And you're wrong about green lawns, you can have green lawns that use less water than a house does per-sq ft.

Plus, that's just not how the water works. For example, Sacramento has 2 water inlets, one is closed for repairs (the one on the Sacramento) and one is on the American river, which is drying up. It doesn't loving matter how much water is used in the central valley, it won't effect the shortage in Sacramento as long as their Sacramento River inlet is closed.

California agriculture is some of the most water efficient in the world anyway, because the water is so drat expensive. If you want them to stop using water, stop buying fresh fruits and veggies. (CONGRESS CREATED DUSTBOWL)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It would save water to drain the pool into a toilet tank.

Trabisnikof posted:

California agriculture is some of the most water efficient in the world anyway, because the water is so drat expensive. If you want them to stop using water, stop buying fresh fruits and veggies. (CONGRESS CREATED DUSTBOWL)

It's not that efficient, mainly just open ditches (at least in the desert areas in the valley). It is also heavily subsidized. Farmers pay a small fraction of what it actually costs to deliver water to their fields.

You can almost always see at least one broken/accidentally opened irrigation line geysering and flooding a huge area of empty field on the drive between SF and LA.

withak fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 18, 2014

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Trabisnikof posted:

I think you don't understand how water works, if you think randomly draining a pool would reduce water usage. Not filling the pool when is gets low will save water.

And you're wrong about green lawns, you can have green lawns that use less water than a house does per-sq ft.

Plus, that's just not how the water works. For example, Sacramento has 2 water inlets, one is closed for repairs (the one on the Sacramento) and one is on the American river, which is drying up. It doesn't loving matter how much water is used in the central valley, it won't effect the shortage in Sacramento as long as their Sacramento River inlet is closed.

Expensive?

The only reason they can grow half the crops they do is because water consumption costs are stuck at rates from decades ago. The reason farmers are pissy is because people are starting to realize that maybe we shouldn't grow fruit and rice in a goddamn desert.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

withak posted:

It's not that efficient, mainly just open ditches (at least in the desert areas in the valley). You can almost always see at least one broken/accidentally opened irrigation line geysering and flooding a huge area of empty field on the drive between SF and LA.

Also you can use your wash water in your toilet too!

7 easy tricks the water utility doesn't want you to know about!

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

withak posted:

It's not that efficient, mainly just open ditches (at least in the desert areas in the valley). It is also heavily subsidized. Farmers pay a tiny fraction of what it actually costs to deliver water to their fields.

You can almost always see at least one broken/accidentally opened irrigation line geysering and flooding a huge area of empty field on the drive between SF and LA.

That too.

They lose 15% of their water per year because they don't cover their drat irrigation ditches.

I'm so sick to death of the idiot farmers in this state doing the work for the agribusiness companies that own them by falling for their bullshit hook line and sinker.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've saved a fortune using toilet water in my washing machine.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pook Good Mook posted:

Expensive?

The only reason they can grow half the crops they do is because water consumption costs are stuck at rates from decades ago. The reason farmers are pissy is because people are starting to realize that maybe we shouldn't grow fruit and rice in a goddamn desert.

Rice isn't grown in the desert? Its all grown in the Sacramento valley.

Agricultural water prices are high in California compared to a lot of other states. There's so much agriculture because the climate and soil is amazing.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Pook Good Mook posted:

I'm so sick to death of the idiot farmers in this state doing the work for the agribusiness companies that own them by falling for their bullshit hook line and sinker.

'The farmers' are almost entirely a double handful of fantastically wealthy oligarchs who bought half the state back in the bad old days.

They're not idiots, they are the agribusiness companies.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pook Good Mook posted:

Expensive?

You're just wrong.

http://www.oecd.org/unitedstates/45016437.pdf posted:

USD12 per hectare in Minnesota to USD213 per hectare in California, with a national average cost of USD104 per hectare (Gollehon and Quinby, 2006).

Notice how agricultural water price is 2x the national average in California. Plus, California does in fact require that agribusiness pay for the full cost of the water.

quote:

For example, irrigation water prices in the federal Central Valley Project in California include cost recovery charges (financial policy goal) and an environmental restoration charge (environmental policy goal). Water prices in California’s State Water Project include charges for repaying all construction costs, with interest (financial policy goal), thus ensuring that decisions regarding water use and allocation reflect the full cost of developing and delivering the state’s limited water supply (economic policy goal).

And yes, the canals aren't covered. That's because they were built 50+ years ago and its impossible to get funding for big infrastructure projects now. Also those same canals carry a large part of LA's drinking water.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 18, 2014

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Leperflesh posted:

According to the Cal Water Resources board (circa 2005) FRESH water usage looks like this:

So, you weren't too far off.

Additionally, here's a good look of this year's snow pack compared to last year:

Illuminado fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 18, 2014

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

You're just wrong.

Notice how agricultural water price is 2x the national average in California. Plus, California does in fact require that agribusiness pay for the full cost of the water.

That's disingenuous considering how much rainfall a lot of the valley (especially down south) actually gets.

This is the rainfall totals in Minnesota http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Minnesota#Precipitation

And this is San Joaquin California: http://www.bestplaces.net/climate/county/california/san_joaquin

Bout half, not even including that fact that Minnesota is indeed the land of 10,000 lakes and needs to make sure roughly a sixth of the people that California has gets clean drinking water. And keep in mind that San Joaquin is up by Fresno, it isn't even near the worst offenders down by Bakersfield.

California's water is undervalued.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Therre we go, now we've got the old D&D vibe going. :)

Trabisnikof posted:

Draining the pool meaning, let it sit dry, rather than keeping it full. Pools evaporate constantly (especially when it's sunny and dry all the time, as it's been lately) and so you have to constantly add water to keep them full. Obviously it'd be good to actually use your pool water for something rather than just drain it, but since it's chlorinated your options are somewhat limited.

quote:

A house that has no lawn uses less water than an identically-sized house that has a lawn. My lawn is dead. The neighbor whose house is the same size as mine, and is keeping his lawn bright green, is using more water than I am. HE has an option (let the lawn die) that will let him meet a mandated 20% reduction. I do not have that option, and the only reason I don't have it, is because I was already being more responsible with water due to drought conditions than he is. Is that clear enough?

quote:

The governor has declared a statewide water reduction for all residents, or at least that's what I've gathered from the article. So residents using water from every different source are equally affected. But, per the chart posted by Illuminado, this can only have a minor impact on overall freshwater reserves, compared to the much larger actual impact that we'd get from a (say) 5% reduction in water use by the agricultural sector. Yes, obviously a lot of agricultural water comes from different sources than drinking water, but the overall drought affects both sources, and if we weren't using as much river water for ag, we could draw more of it for treatment and residential use. It's a complex interconnected system and I just find it annoying that residential users seem to get hit harder, and I suspect the reason is because agricultural and industrial lobbyists are having more influence than regular voters.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Right now the reduction isn't mandatory.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Yeah the statewide restriction is voluntary. Sacramento has a mandatory one, but already has restrictions on watering etc.

What you're not getting is, while sure its not the most fair solution possible, its the easiest to regulate. Sacramento's issue is more about the infrastructure issues more than the classic urban/agricultural fight because the farms do lose then...all the dead nut trees in the valley are proof of that.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I can't wait to read more "DRAIN LAKE TAHOE NOW, it's OUR WATER!" :freep: letters to the Sacto Bee tomorrow. Probably penned by some corporate ag lackeys in Bakersfield under the name of someone that sounds like a local grandma.

I also wish I could xeriscape the gently caress out of my lovely, tiny patch of grass that is my front "Lawn" and plant grasses and agave or something. It's against the local CC&R's but I am not sure how strictly they are enforced being that those idiotic basketball hoops (also against CC&R's) are set up every 10 feet in the middle of the streets (since apparently going a block to the school is too much work for these mouthbreathing twits).

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 18, 2014

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Keyser S0ze posted:

those idiotic basketball hoops (also against CC&R's) are set up every 10 feet in the middle of the streets
I hate that poo poo. For a while I lved somewhere that echoes really bad (from the street/buildings) and listening to that CEASELESS loving ball(s) made it impossible to work/relax at home. That, home-band-practice, leaf-blowers, and untrained constantly barking dogs should all meet the axe. :black101:

There will be silence! Oh yes... there will be silence...

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Good news! Unlike you buttholes in LA, most of the bay area (under SF water) isn't in drought mode yet. They're still telling people to conserve water though.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Some of my shittier acquaintances are already saying "LOL THE DELTA SMELT AMIRITE :smuggo: "

edit: after reading Oligarch Valley, does anyone have any sources on the "Latino Water Coalition" astroturf group, which apparently is on ice according to the book?

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 18, 2014

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
I think those people and their feelings about the delta smelt are the perfect example of shortsightedness and complete lack of environmental understanding. :freep: gently caress THE SMELT is instant shorthand for "I have nothing of value to contribute to this conversation".

In short, delta smelt 4 lyfe.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Some of my shittier acquaintances are already saying "LOL THE DELTA SMELT AMIRITE :smuggo: "

edit: after reading Oligarch Valley, does anyone have any sources on the "Latino Water Coalition" astroturf group, which apparently is on ice according to the book?

They just had a "grass roots" rally in Sacto on Thursday.

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/politics&id=9395443

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 18, 2014

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
That reminds me, I need to replace the water in my pool.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just throw the old water down a storm drain.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What are some good ways to become more informed about California's water situation?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Hey, LA folks? I'm quoting this thread from E/N because it's about someone getting bored in LA. Maybe you could offer your suggestions to the OP.

Captain Gordon posted:

Recently I got an opportunity to work for a videogame company in Los Angeles and I jumped on it without a second thought. I had absolutely no problem leaving the shithole I have been living in for the past 13 years - Dublin, Ireland.

Things have been relatively well and good for 7 month that I have been here. As you can imagine, the culture shock of moving from a tiny provincial town (which Dublin is in comparecent to LA) to bursting metropolis in US of A was something to get used to, and making friends with people I didn't grow up with wasn't easy either. To tell the truth, even though I am surrounded by good and interesting people I honestly cannot count them among my close friends, and most of my relationships at the minute feel like friendships of convenience at best. It is getting better, but it is a slow process, even if when we have a lot of interests in common.

Eventually, my wife who I love very much joined me here and things have been rather hard on her. Unlike me, she actually likes Ireland, even though she is not deceiving herself about the current economic state of the country and lack of any prospect for a career or personal development there. She genuinely does want to give this move a go.

That said, she is going through a massive culture and social shock. Unlike me, my wife is very outgoing and really likes unusual socially engaging events. I am sorry if that sounds dry and dumb as gently caress, but I am having a hard time describing something that lies somewhere in between a ragged house party and a gig. She likes going to odd meetups and ends, underground punk gigs, historical festivals, speakeasy bars and that kind of thing.

I enjoy pretty much all of the above as well, but the main difference between us is that I do not go out of my way to find those things. If they pop up on my radar and I can make it, sweet, but I do not actively seek them out myself and therefore I do not have a specific approach, formula or a magic bullet for finding them. My wife made a huge effort to network in Dublin and it was extremely easy for her to find her crowd and what she wanted to do as a result, even though it took a long time for her to develop those relationships.

I know that my wife gets super upset when she has nothing to do, as we both went through a shut-in period in Ireland which lead to us breaking up, because for a while we became a boring as gently caress couple that never did anything. That wasn't always the case though, things just got hard because of jobs and renting bullshit that was going on the time. Its all water under the bridge, but the clear lesson learned from that situation is that a docile lifestyle isn't for us.

I can see that she is very scared of everything rolling back to THAT time and that she is worried about our future on top of going through normal fears that come with moving a country. This fear leaves her in kind of emotional paralysis where she is too depressed to meet new people or get out of the house, even. I do my best to take her out to see places in the evenings and introduce her to my friends, which helps a little bit, but I would be fooling myself if I said right now that everything would be fine if this status quo continued. I recon that until she finds her group of friends she wont be happy no matter what I do.

And yes, you have read it correctly, it has only been 2 weeks for her, just barely. I know that this is too short of a time frame to make any solid judgement on the situation, but I am worried nonetheless. I also have a probably irrational fear of getting along here, because most of the people I have met here, while fun and interesting, are terribly lazy and clique-y and not at all inclusive of newcomers.

So, tl;dr

- Wife and I moved to Los Angeles from Ireland :usa:
- Wife likes going out and doing things that aren't shopping or vegetating on the beach
- I am relatively new here and do not know a lot of places to go and things to do
- Wife is depressed about moving countries and is homesick; is not very outgoing or curious as a result
- I am worried about her and cannot physically drag her out of the house every day because I have a full time job

Do you guys have any advice for me?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Depending on your dishwasher, it's not necessarily more water efficient to wash by hand. Unless you mean to just stop washing dishes altogether.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Grand Prize Winner:

The way I met my true friends when I first moved to LA was through classes. Not necessarily school (though that works I guess), they could be in anything. I took improv classes because it was something I enjoyed in college but this city is so big and diverse there's classes for everything. You get a small group that already shares a common interest and something to talk about and it gets you out of the routine.

The other thing I'd recommend is taking long hikes in the hills. There are dozens of good trails and parks all over the city and it really helps to open your mind up and see what makes California so special. Moving 6,000 miles to sit indoors might as well be a waste of money. You now live in one of them most amazing beautiful places on the planet, try to get outside to enjoy it and embrace it.

As for an idea to see different parts of city and explore. Find an app or go online to find food trucks with styles of food you think you'd like and then drive or follow them around the city. The trucks will only go places at night where a lot of people will be out so you'll find out where people like to be and can make it a fun dinner date at the same time.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
That e/n post is not about LA. Nothing about LA is going to solve it. She does not want to be there. Sometimes its called "trailing spouse syndrome" and generally speaking it sucks. That post looks like the poster child. LA is an amazing place on the planet in both positive and negative senses, but it does not matter since everything will be conditioned by that she does not want to be there and likely does not feel included in the decision to go there. She was left with "go to LA, which sucks for me", or "lose my marriage, which sucks for me". The identity crisis involved in culture shock is worse for her because she has no meaningful context, like work, to lessen it.

The last time I went though this, exercise helped a great deal. My partner trained for a large event, and this helped her, but that's not for everyone.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Papercut posted:

Depending on your dishwasher, it's not necessarily more water efficient to wash by hand. Unless you mean to just stop washing dishes altogether.

My dishwasher is a 30+ year old rollaway that I attach to my sink faucet when I run it, since my kitchen is old and hasn't got a built-in. It's concievable that it is still more water-efficient than washing by hand, I have no way to measure that, but I think it's unlikely.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Hey, LA folks? I'm quoting this thread from E/N because it's about someone getting bored in LA. Maybe you could offer your suggestions to the OP.

I think she's more depressed than anything.
That said, LA has about 12 billion things to do from art museums, to finding the perfect bowl to pho, to finding the best taco, to stage, to wandering through neighborhoods, to a gigantic arboretum, to Disneyland, to skiing in big bear (when it finally loving snows) to getting drunk in a different bar every day for a decade. She has a car, right? You need a car.
I hate to say it but meetup is not unpopular here.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

She's only been here for 2 weeks. Culture shock takes longer than that to get through. I moved from the US to the UK as a 14 year old in 1988 and it took me about a year to start feeling comfortable. Of course, puberty was also going on and teenage angst, etc., but my point is, just because both countries speak English doesn't mean the cultures are all that similar.

The fact that the LA area is a car-oriented metropolis can't help. It's likely wherever these guys live that there's not much within walking distance for them to do socially, and that's a big change from the town-center-oriented smaller more compact cities that are common throughout europe.

Ultimatley though it's an E/N issue, not a tourism & travel issue.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
I think the Regional Discussion section for Los Angeles thread would probably be better than this one. They probably have a lot more ideas for what to do.

I was confused about why that question was posted here until I realized that we're still in T&T. I thought this thread was moved to T&T from D&D because of a christmas swap thing, but no one's bothered to move us back. I love food chat (even though I just lurk) so I'm not complaining.

Anyways, that thread is here.

EDIT: I just took a look at that thread and someone already suggested that.

celeron 300a fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 19, 2014

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
http://sfappeal.com/2014/01/bart-police-officer-is-shot-and-killed/

So there has been another BART PD shooting. This time it was one cop shooting another, presumably on accident, while searching someone's apartment. It is unclear why BART PD was searching an apartment.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Is it sad the first thing I thought was "great, they killed another black kid" when I read that? Maybe this will at least prompt them to train them to holster their gun and not be so trigger happy. Hahaha who am I kidding, it will never happen.

I'm also a little confused on the jurisdiction of BART police, do they actually have the power to search homes? I was always under the impression it was limited to BART property.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 22, 2014

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I imagine that neighboring police forces share manpower sometimes, and BART technically "neighbors" multiple cities and counties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Xaris posted:

Is it sad the first thing I thought was "great, they killed another black kid" when I read that? Maybe this will at least prompt them to train them to holster their gun and not be so trigger happy. Hahaha who am I kidding, it will never happen.

I'm also a little confused on the jurisdiction of BART police, do they actually have the power to search homes? I was always under the impression it was limited to BART property.

http://www.bart.gov/about/police/howto/faq

First two paragraphs:

quote:

Do BART Police Officers have the same police authority as city Police Officers and Deputy Sheriffs?
Yes. BART Police Officers are fully sworn Peace Officers that have the same powers of arrest as city Police Officers and county Sheriff's Deputies. In addition, BART Officers attend the same Police Academies and receive continuous police training.

In addition to taking enforcement action on BART property, can BART Police Officers take enforcement action off of BART property (i.e., within city limits, county jurisdictions, or on state highways)?
Yes. BART Officers may take enforcement action off of BART jurisdiction, anywhere within the state of California. If there is immediate danger to persons or property, BART Officers may arrest, cite and release, or warn the perpetrators.

• Locked thread