Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

RaspberryCommie posted:

Or it could be that After all this time he regains some of his sanity and starts turning back into the Megatron that was friends with Pax?

I doubt it, but I can dream, can't I?

That's Prime. In IDWOrion was a fan of Megatron's philosophy and writings, but they didn't meet until after the Senate's schemes had already pushed Megatron over the edge.
Until the events in RID happened, I thought they were going to do a chillaxed Megatron. That's been my only true diappointment, because I can't really see them making it work now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

RaspberryCommie posted:

I doubt it, but I can dream, can't I?
Given the ending of Prime and he isn't in TF4 right? Perhaps given the current situation they feel like they can portray him closer to pre-War, yeah.

On the plus side it at least makes the end of Dark Cybertron sound more interesting to me. We know the Deadies are going to lose and Kup is going to be back but some twists would be nice. So far outside of the Magnus bunch's adventures this has been an especially on rails crossover.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SpikeMcclane posted:

Promo pic: I didn't even notice the first time the craziest part of that Megatron/Lost Light picture. The badge. I guess it's also possible someone else got transplanted into that body, too, since that's a thing.

HOLY poo poo. I totally missed that.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Oh man imagine if Tailgate gets a new body :swoon:

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

SpikeMcclane posted:

That's Prime. In IDWOrion was a fan of Megatron's philosophy and writings, but they didn't meet until after the Senate's schemes had already pushed Megatron over the edge.
Until the events in RID happened, I thought they were going to do a chillaxed Megatron. That's been my only true diappointment, because I can't really see them making it work now.

Ah right.

Still, Prime is exactly what's giving me hope for this happening. Pre-war Philosopher Megatron joining the Lost Light. He'd probably fit right in once everyone got over hating him.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Megatron joining the Lost Light doesn't feel right if Optimus isn't involved somehow. I feel like IDW Megatron/Optimus is the closest thing to a will they or won't they romance.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I want "Minimus Ambus takes a vacation on Earth."

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Never in 30 years of Transformers have they done this. This is huge and awesome.

I feel like the proper "finale" of Transformers wouldn't be Optimus destroying Megatron once and for all, but rather Optimus and Megatron realizing how stupid and destructive their war is, putting aside their differences and shaking hands.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 17, 2014

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Never in 30 years of Transformers have they done this. This is huge and awesome.

I feel like the proper "finale" of Transformers wouldn't be Optimus destroying Megatron once and for all, but rather Optimus and Megatron realizing how stupid and destructive their war is, putting aside their differences and shaking hands.

Amen to that. It's what I loved about the final issues of the Marvel series, where you had Prime and Scorponok overcoming their (and everyone's) mistrust and scepticism and ultimately try and do what was best for all of them. It was beautiful, maaaaaaan.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Guess we're not using spoiler tags anymore...
Man, Overlord, if you had just waited a little while before staging an escape. You just missed your chance there.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Apparently this is exactly what happens at the end of Beast Wars Neo.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Rita Repulsa posted:

Apparently this is exactly what happens at the end of Beast Wars Neo.

And the Victory manga!

(the only manga I have ever read I love you Deathsaurus)

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
My favorite thing about these teasers is that while they're ostensibly to draw interest for the ongoings that come after Dork Cybertron, they're also motivating me to suffer through this boring-rear end event just to see how we end up with Megatron on the Lost Light with an Autobadge (guess everyone gave up on spoilers). Thanks for nothing, James Roberts :argh:

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Gammatron 64 posted:

Man, Overlord, if you had just waited a little while before staging an escape. You just missed your chance there.

I dont think thats a coincidence.

MTMTE shadow play stuff. Body swapping is a huge part of this story. Between that and the DJD chasing Overlords signal to where the lost light was.. it makes me pretty excited at the idea of some poor bastard riding Megatrons shell while Overlord AND the DJD come after him.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Why cookie Rocket posted:

(the only manga I have ever read)
You should fix that with this handy BSS thread!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Everyone should give Onepunch Man a chance, at least.

Veg posted:

MTMTE shadow play stuff. Body swapping is a huge part of this story. Between that and the DJD chasing Overlords signal to where the lost light was.. it makes me pretty excited at the idea of some poor bastard riding Megatrons shell while Overlord AND the DJD come after him.
I would be surprised if they did that, given the body swapping thing was either used to conceal identity when it would be confusing or to do so with minor characters. A swap like that would make for some confused readers, unless it was a central plot point, which I don't think Roberts would want to do to his ensemble cast.

Either way I am even more hyped for season 2.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Well, based on all the hype in this thread, I finally read Last Stand of the Wreckers (which I thought was just okay) and More Than Meets the Eye Volume 1 (which I liked more than I expected to). I used to own the entire run of Marvel's Transformers comics (including all the miniseries, tie-ins, and the twelve issues of G2), and More Than Meets the Eye was better than the best of those. The Marvel books were always surprisingly grisly and violent (considering their younger audience), but I was pleasantly surprised by the sense of humor permeating MTMTE and tempering a lot of the grittiness.

I enjoyed how James Roberts writes the crew of the Lost Light like really flawed, damaged humans rather than Bob Budiansky-style alien robots. The cast is an interesting mix of a few popular Transformers (Rodimus, Ultra Magnus, Ratchet) and a lot of lesser-known characters. Are we to assume Swerve, Tailgate, and company were his favorite childhood toys?

Also, is the Last Stand of the Wreckers/More Than Meets the Eye continuity completely separate and distinct from the Marvel comics and '80s cartoon?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I love whenever Transformers takes steps beyond simple "Decepticons bad, Autobots good". It makes everything seem so real and fleshed out as opposed to being just an overblown toy backstory.

Ending the war was probably the gutsiest thing that IDW ever did.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

I love whenever Transformers takes steps beyond simple "Decepticons bad, Autobots good". It makes everything seem so real and fleshed out as opposed to being just an overblown toy backstory.

Ending the war was probably the gutsiest thing that IDW ever did.

Agreed, that was interesting, especially with Cyclonus joining the crew. I always loved stories where heroes and villains teamed up against a common foe and had that "We're not so different, you and I!" moment, but this takes it to a whole new level.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Also, is the Last Stand of the Wreckers/More Than Meets the Eye continuity completely separate and distinct from the Marvel comics and '80s cartoon?

It is indeed.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gammatron 64 posted:

Fun fact: the original ending for Dark of the Moon was literally this.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Fun fact: the original ending for Dark of the Moon was literally this.

gently caress me, I probably would have actually liked that movie had that happened instead of Optimus just loving slicing Megatron's head off in cold blood!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gammatron 64 posted:

gently caress me, I probably would have actually liked that movie had that happened instead of Optimus just loving slicing Megatron's head off in cold blood!
It's present in the novelization (and some version of the script you can find online, I think). Sentinel betrays Megatron, Optimus fights Sentinel, he's about to lose and Megatron gets a cheap-shot in and then they both double-team Sentinel and take him down, and then they look at each other and talk about how all the endless fighting is stupid and call a truce and shake hands.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Someone brought up the notion a few years ago that the increasingly aggressive attitude of Prime in the last film might have had something to do with him merging with the parts of a Decepticon in the second film.

That being said, I don't think the filmmakers are that careful with their product to be foreshadowing that, though. But I could see them pull a Superman 3 and Prime gets split into Prime and Motormaster/Nemesis Prime or something.

Oh, and if Anthony Anderson showed up again and was caught stealing thousands of dollars by collecting fractions of a cent from every transaction of NEST.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Xenomrph posted:

It's present in the novelization (and some version of the script you can find online, I think). Sentinel betrays Megatron, Optimus fights Sentinel, he's about to lose and Megatron gets a cheap-shot in and then they both double-team Sentinel and take him down, and then they look at each other and talk about how all the endless fighting is stupid and call a truce and shake hands.

But Amurrika Autobots don't negotiate with TURRISTS! Blood for the robot god!*

*Yes, we just kinda killed the robot god too by destroying its planet body. Stop thinking so hard.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

Man that would be amazing for a number of reasons, the best of which (IMO) is the tacit acknowledgement that Prime is as bad as Megatron in those movies.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
IIRC, the way it played out in the novel was actually better/worse than that. Megatron just wants to restore Cybertron, so he and all the decepticons become a giant construction crew and start to try to slowly rebuild through hard work and guts. Optimus's reaction is pretty much "Yeah, you go do that. The autobots are going to stay here on Earth where we're seen as heroes for kicking your rear end. We'll move back in if you fix up the place real nice, though."

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Post-war IDW is the perfect counterpoint to the genius nihilism of the Bay movies because they're using diametrically opposing viewpoints to illustrate the same goal. In RID and MTMTE, the idea is basically "if these cartoon robots from your childhood acted and behaved like flawed, thinking humans and examined what they were doing, things would improve. Not instantly, but gradually, because in the real world endless war has solved literally zero problems." On the opposing side, the Bay films take that and invert it, saying "if folks in the real world had the same ideology and behavior patterns of cartoon robots from your childhood, things would be a loving endless nightmare, because again, in the real world, brash jingoism and uncontrolled violence has solved literally zero problems."

I like them both very much.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

As long as we're discussing the Bay movies and Switch 'n Go Dinos, I've been meaning to ask-- are the TF4 dinobots supposed to have robot modes, or is it Switch 'n Go Dinos: The Movie? I'm rooting for the latter.

edit: vv ok thanks!

Why cookie Rocket fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 17, 2014

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Grimlock's robot mode was already discussed in the thread. On a T-shirt or something? It looked very anime inspired.

edit: Nautica is the silliest robot name in a while.

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 17, 2014

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
Supposedly Grimlock's robot mode, from a crew hoodie.

I am super happy to see Dispensor on that TakaraTomy list, even if he is just a Payload repaint.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spiderdrake posted:

edit: Nautica is the silliest robot name in a while.

I hope, against expectation, that Nautica turns into a truck. Because she's not-a-car.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That Grimlock makes me think of Dark Souls.

This isn't a bad thing.

Phy posted:

I hope, against expectation, that Nautica turns into a truck. Because she's not-a-car.

I hope she turns into a futuristic hang-glider

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
So, the actual solicit text:

CERTAIN DEATH, HERE WE COME! MEGATRON assumes control of the quest to find the Knights of Cybertron—a quest that has never before been so urgent, so personal, and so likely to end in tears. An incredulous Lost Light crew is left asking the same thing you are: how exactly did it come to this?

Will there be a Megpod? And, more to the point, what about Rodimus? :ohdear:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sentinel Red posted:

Will there be a Megpod?

I hope it looks like a weird bird http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megapode

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Phy posted:

I hope it looks like a weird bird http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megapode

The Megapod hovers above, like some vast, predatory bird...

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

The Megapod hovers above, like some vast, predatory bird...
You two are killing me. Plus it wouldn't be the first Megapod, even.

As for Rodimus, if Optimus is going to Earth he's probably taking Bumblebee Goldbug Goldfire and they'll leave Rodimus in command of the Autobot detachment on Cybertron to grapple with Starscream. Megatron will in some way step up to fill his shoes and command the Lost Light. I can not wait to see that explained by Roberts.

Also I just remembered that Skywatch had access to tons of reverse engineered tech from Shockwave's body. So Wingblade's book will be on Cybertron, RiD will be cleaning up Shockwave droppings on Earth and MTMTE will be Megatron's awkward adventures in space.

I might bitch that Dark Cybertron is just a big two style crossover, but it feels like the fallout is going to be way more interesting than big two crossovers.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

You two are killing me. Plus it wouldn't be the first Megapod, even.

As for Rodimus, if Optimus is going to Earth he's probably taking Bumblebee Goldbug Goldfire and they'll leave Rodimus in command of the Autobot detachment on Cybertron to grapple with Starscream. Megatron will in some way step up to fill his shoes and command the Lost Light. I can not wait to see that explained by Roberts.

Also I just remembered that Skywatch had access to tons of reverse engineered tech from Shockwave's body. So Wingblade's book will be on Cybertron, RiD will be cleaning up Shockwave droppings on Earth and MTMTE will be Megatron's awkward adventures in space.

I might bitch that Dark Cybertron is just a big two style crossover, but it feels like the fallout is going to be way more interesting than big two crossovers.

Rodimus was told by Drift that if he weren't the one to lead the Quest Cybertron would fall. So I doubt that Rodimus would abandon it, and Optimus has said that he trusts Rodimus to continue his quest and trusts Bee to be in charge of the autobots on Cybertron.

As seen in one of the last pages of Dark Cybertron #1, Rodimus' body is going to be crushed. It might be that he could end up wearing Megatron's shell, because after Megatron's attempted takeover earlier, I doubt he would turn to the Autobot side. As for Wingblade, that's most likely going to happen on Cybertron, but all we know is that she annoys Starscream and I can't make any theories based on this little.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is Megatron using that body right now? Wasn't he in the the black body about a year ago?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rhyno posted:

Is Megatron using that body right now? Wasn't he in the the black body about a year ago?

That body lasted, like, 2 issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Which body, Doctor?

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, Shockwave rebuilt it, and from the solicits he is fighting Shockwave on the cover of #12

I really bet against the body swapping angle. Doesn't feel like Roberts to me.