Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Madkal posted:

Here's a strange question. Which comicbook character has been shat upon by the universe most (figuratively speaking). There was talk in the worst runs thread about Skin who died rather acrimoniously, had his name misspelled on his tombstone and had Jubilee proclaim that she wanted to sleep with him while he was still alive. I found this all funny in an absurd way, but it also got me thinking who has the worst life in comicbooks. One filled with suffering and failure with very few bright spots.

I don't think Karma's ever had particularly happy moments in her comic book existence. Just moments of "well things aren't quite as lovely as usual".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Oh, hey, remember when everyone was saying that a DVD boxed set of the 1966 Batman TV series was going to require an act of God?

Apparently God doesn't have anything better to do:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/01/15/batman-tv-show-complete-series-dvd/4496197/

quote:

Holy nostalgia, Caped Crusader! The original 1960s Batman show is finally getting a home-video release.
The original series, which ran 1966-68 on ABC and in later years in syndication, was many people's introduction to the superhero outside of comics, especially before the Tim Burton Batman movie was released in 1989.
Details will be announced later on specific platforms and pricing.

Well, I'm happy for this. Hello new item for my x-mas list.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It turns out that, most days, you can get rid of a bomb :unsmith:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CzarChasm posted:

Oh, hey, remember when everyone was saying that a DVD boxed set of the 1966 Batman TV series was going to require an act of God?

Apparently God doesn't have anything better to do:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/01/15/batman-tv-show-complete-series-dvd/4496197/

Well, I'm happy for this. Hello new item for my x-mas list.

Reeeeally hoping they found a way to get all the stupid "head out a window" cameos to stay in. :pray:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

prefect posted:

Reeeeally hoping they found a way to get all the stupid "head out a window" cameos to stay in. :pray:

IIRC, weren't those scenes the stickiest parts of all the copyright quagmire?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Choco1980 posted:

IIRC, weren't those scenes the stickiest parts of all the copyright quagmire?

The whole thing was an absolute mess, but yeah that was a big one. I do wonder if the Vincent Price episodes are in or out. Last I heard it was an "absolutely not" from his estate. Be kind of a shame if we don't get Egghead.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't even understand why they need guest stars' permission to release the episodes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't even understand why they need guest stars' permission to release the episodes.

Why? The appeared on the show and due to the way contracts are written deserve to get something for the episodes they are in. Also some are uncredited, unpaid walk-ons. They do not have the video rights to show them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

The whole thing was an absolute mess, but yeah that was a big one. I do wonder if the Vincent Price episodes are in or out. Last I heard it was an "absolutely not" from his estate. Be kind of a shame if we don't get Egghead.

Why? Its not like its the worst thing he's ever done.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Why? The appeared on the show and due to the way contracts are written deserve to get something for the episodes they are in.
I agree, I just don't know why the contracts were structured so as to allow them to rebroadcast on television forever and ever but not do a home video release.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

I agree, I just don't know why the contracts were structured so as to allow them to rebroadcast on television forever and ever but not do a home video release.
Yes, it sure is shocking that home video provisions weren't a standard in 1966.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Halloween Jack posted:

The idea of releasing shows on homevideo was a sort of recent idea. I mean in the 60s they would wipe shows since the idea of rebroadcasting them was foreign. It is the same reason music rights for some shows are such clusterfucks.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

redbackground posted:

Yes, it sure is shocking that home video provisions weren't a standard in 1966.

If I'm understanding correctly from last time we went over this, the weird thing is that the contract explicitly DID say home video was a no-no.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

The idea of releasing shows on homevideo was a sort of recent idea. I mean in the 60s they would wipe shows since the idea of rebroadcasting them was foreign.

Monty Python might have been lost forever if Terry Gilliam hadn't bought the tapes for example.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah, there's a bunch of "lost" Doctor Who episodes because of it, although I think they were in storage in some BBC vault, and were partially decayed/destroyed by a fire or something.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I strongly advise against looking into the storage practices of basically anything you might consider valuable television or film history. Or video games, for that matter.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Anyone here ever use Midtown Comics? I went to my local shop today but they didn't have the latest issue I was looking for and it takes forever to go there and back so I'd rather order it than waste the gas next time. I don't think I'll go for a Pull List just yet. Maybe an issue or two and go from there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Action Tortoise posted:

Anyone here ever use Midtown Comics? I went to my local shop today but they didn't have the latest issue I was looking for and it takes forever to go there and back so I'd rather order it than waste the gas next time. I don't think I'll go for a Pull List just yet. Maybe an issue or two and go from there.

I prefer Lonestar's https://mycomicshop.com.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Lurdiak posted:

I strongly advise against looking into the storage practices of basically anything you might consider valuable television or film history. Or video games, for that matter.

Or like, NASA video of moon landings.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I'm a big fan of ComicCollectorLive. Last time I ordered from a store on CCL it was packed with a 90s comic book mag as stuffing, and the magazine came with a FREE MALIBU PREVIEW COMIC. THat was worth the price of the book I ordered all on its own.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Literally The Worst posted:

I'm a big fan of ComicCollectorLive.
As someone who has literally purchased a bazillion comics from each of those places, the smart thing to do is shop smart by comparing prices across all 3 sites (esp. if you're looking at larger orders). Setting up wishlists at each is a good idea to quickly keep track of things. Also, all 3 are completely dependable in my book.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 18, 2014

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Action Tortoise posted:

I did a month using the pull list subscription but then found out that if you use the previews order system you get 35% off, so I cancelled the pulls and started using that. I'm spending a significant amount less on comics, but shipping is a little slow to the west coast.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
http://www.dcbservice.com has normally 40% off if you pre order and have specials for 50% off certain books each month. Full disclosure though I'm friends with a bunch of people who work there so I might be a little biased. They're super rad. :cool:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senor Candle posted:

http://www.dcbservice.com has normally 40% off if you pre order and have specials for 50% off certain books each month. Full disclosure though I'm friends with a bunch of people who work there so I might be a little biased. They're super rad. :cool:

Do you live in Fort Wayne?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Yeah I bought one of those X-Statix omnis from you last summer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senor Candle posted:

Yeah I bought one of those X-Statix omnis from you last summer.

Ha! I have a good memory.

Shame Zack left the company, their customer service has suffered a bit since then.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Don't be too worried by that, FE is contained in the main series,a couple of minis and only three series are directly connected: JL, JLA and supposedly, Nightwing. If you were interested on one of those you're utterly hosed though :v:

Hey, is there a way I can contact you off the forums? I don't have plat, but I would like to ask you something.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

Wasn't sure what the best thread for this was, so here goes: I'm reading backissues of Daredevil on Marvel Unlimited, and I'm at Daredevil #118 during the Brubaker run, which came out in 2009. I noticed that after #119, the next available issue is #500. This is just a renumbering, right? Are there any other issues in there that Unlimited is missing that I need to grab elsewhere?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The Dagda posted:

Wasn't sure what the best thread for this was, so here goes: I'm reading backissues of Daredevil on Marvel Unlimited, and I'm at Daredevil #118 during the Brubaker run, which came out in 2009. I noticed that after #119, the next available issue is #500. This is just a renumbering, right? Are there any other issues in there that Unlimited is missing that I need to grab elsewhere?
Yeah it just renumbered, but I think you're going to be wanting to stop soon when Brubaker's run ends.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Once Brubaker is done just skip directly to Waid.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Yeah even with using Marvel Unlimited I wouldn't recommend reading Shadowland. Such an awful book.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Shadowland wasn't the worst thing I've ever read, but it actually got me to stop reading Daredevil after a long, long run of loving that book. I'm starting to reread everything from the Brubaker run up to Shadowland, whereupon I'll skip over it and keep going.

Who knew that "Matt Murdoch has finally had enough of everyone's poo poo" could turn out to be so dull?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Well it was less the dullness and more let's try and drastically change the status quo with the main character being possessed while simultaneously trying to drag Elektra: Assassin down with it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah even with using Marvel Unlimited I wouldn't recommend reading Shadowland. Such an awful book.
Shadowland? More like......ShadowBLAND! :master:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Waterhaul posted:

Well it was less the dullness and more let's try and drastically change the status quo with the main character being possessed while simultaneously trying to drag Elektra: Assassin down with it.
For me it was more that they seemed to really expect the reader to take killing Bullseye as some horrible can't-come-back-from-that fall to evil instead of, y'know, pure justice and something that really should have been done years ago. I mean, in that very book they take great pains to show you that no jail can hold Bullseye and as soon as he breaks out -- which is trivially easy -- he starts killing innocents again. And I'm supposed to react to his death with anything besides an attaboy?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mister Roboto posted:

Hey, is there a way I can contact you off the forums? I don't have plat, but I would like to ask you something.

poo poo, just saw this. You can contact me at machine_emperor@hotmail.com Yes, I made that mail on High School :v:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

For me it was more that they seemed to really expect the reader to take killing Bullseye as some horrible can't-come-back-from-that fall to evil instead of, y'know, pure justice and something that really should have been done years ago. I mean, in that very book they take great pains to show you that no jail can hold Bullseye and as soon as he breaks out -- which is trivially easy -- he starts killing innocents again. And I'm supposed to react to his death with anything besides an attaboy?

I wonder how people would react if the Joker died.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

They'd probably react in a much bigger way, because even though Joker suffers the same sort of issues Bullseye and many other supervillains do, (i.e. insane body count, should be dead, inexplicably aren't due to hero's no-kill code and apparent total lack of death penalty in Big Two universes), Joker has one big thing working in his favor: murder's not his only thing. I know it's like the only thing he does nowadays, but that's just due to poor writers who can't figure out how to write a good story where Batman chortles at the Joker's boner crimes without a triple-digit body count. Bullseye, by comparison, is just a murderer. He works as an assassin, whether for Kingpin or Norman Osborn or for his own shits and giggles, and he murders people by the dozen with a poo poo-eating grin on his face. And he's not even crazy, either.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Madkal posted:

"He'll be back."

To build off what TwoPair says, Joker is also crucial to Batman in ways that Bullseye isn't to Daredevil, and he's a billion times more popular. There's absolutely zero chance he'd stay dead; Bullseye staying down wasn't likely but it could have happened and eventually someone else woulda just started calling themselves Bullseye or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED