Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

In an earlier version of CK2 it was possible to bug out and start playing as a republic (before The Republic) and you would just go on playing despite your randomly generated successor not being of your dynasty. So the engine would definitely allow for non-dynastic succession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
You could do a papal expansion and attempt to keep your family on the Holy See a la the Borgias. It would slot in nice with republics.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fintilgin posted:

I'm putting my money down now.

Armstrong is a Paradox style space 4x. :dance:

Nero is HOI4. :barf:

Oh god I hope one of them is a 4x, though it might make me break the paradox pre-order rule.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm just looking forward to another 12 months of riding the Paradox hype-train! Next stop, the Greatest Game Ever!!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

V for Vegas posted:

Next stop, the Greatest Game Ever!!

That was CKII.

And I was right. :colbert:

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

That was CKII.

Not sure if Paradox can ever top CK2. DLC forever please.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Space Pussy posted:

Not sure if Paradox can ever top CK2. DLC forever please.

I'm hoping for Victoria 3 with expanded characters and factions so we can get Soviets and Subalterns: A Victoria Game.

Though I'm fairly certain the likelihood of it happening is zero.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

So I think I might have gotten some incredibly ugly borders in Darkest Hour, of all things.

In my KR Japan game, the USA ended up going to war with the Entente (including Australasia) over New England while they were in the middle of the Civil War. Then, Australasia defected to the German bloc, while still at war with the USA, meaning that Germany ended up at war with the USA too. The result, after the USA was annexed, was this.

Yes, that grey splattered across the continental US is Germany. I'm allied with Canada, and not at war with the CSA, so all that red in weird places was going to stay.

It got worse later on - I declared war on the CSA because I couldn't stand the borders, and then the AUS allied with Canada. However, Canada didn't return the territory it took to the AUS - it released a blotchy United States of America in the north which then annexed the PSA because the game thought "well, the USA exists, it must have won the civil war!" and got annexed by event. So there's two United States governments, both of which are allied to each other, with horrible patchy borders and enclaves in each other's territory. At least I'm at war with Germany so the landlocked German colony of Kentucky doesn't exist anymore.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

DStecks posted:

If I had to guess, the reason why theocracies still aren't playable is because they'd involve non-dynastic succession, which CKII doesn't do. Not having an heir of your dynasty is a hard-coded game over, and in theocracies, that happens every time the ruler changes.

Create Pseudo-Dynasties which represent membership in a holy order. A character who takes the vows to join the order is taken from their actual dynasty and placed in the order's family.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Um, of course none of the secret projects is Rome 2. The new Rome game is a reboot.

Also one way to make the dynastic religious game possible would be to basically turn CK2 into a CYOA game when you get unlanded, but that'd take a ton of effort to write. It's also kinda no longer grand strategy.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

grancheater posted:

Um, of course none of the secret projects is Rome 2. The new Rome game is a reboot.

Also one way to make the dynastic religious game possible would be to basically turn CK2 into a CYOA game when you get unlanded, but that'd take a ton of effort to write. It's also kinda no longer grand strategy.

The AGOT mod kind of does that if you play as Daenerys before she gets set up as queen of Mereen, but it's very on rails and not really a basis for a full game.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

JGBeagle posted:

Hard-coded for now, but they could always change the code. They're the creators; they're not restricted by the code like we modders are.

Theoretically you're right, but depending on how thoroughly they counted on the Pope being AI, changing the code could be hard as gently caress. It's the kind of thing that could have massive, subtle ramifications too. Of course, this is just conjecture; I haven't seen the source code. All I know is that legacy code is a bitch, especially if you want to fundamentally change the way critical features work.

EDIT, re: playable unlanded characters.

While I can see how playing an unlanded character could be fun, I just don't know how it could fit into the CKII architecture without simply declaring that unlanded character interactions are player-only. There's a pretty crazy amount of AI going on in this game to begin with, now imagine that every courtier in every court can do all the things you'd like to be able to do as an unlanded character. I just can't see how that wouldn't become an abject clusterfuck.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 17, 2014

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

YF-23 posted:

The thing with theocracies isn't that you get a game over for a non-dynastical successor, since that could just be worked around. But I'm not sure how well it would work at all with CK2's character-driven gameplay, since your successor is appointed either by a King or the Pope so you'd have more or less zero input into who you play as.

I could see maybe Holy Orders becoming playable.
I think it could still be doable. A small monastic order would take the place of the traditional dynasty for theocratic states. Succession would be elective, with votes coming from yourself and anyone you are a theocratic vassal of, up to and including the pope. Under free investiture, whoever is appointed to your title is your successor and is made a member of your order. (Appointed laymen are converted to your order, appointing clerics from other order would probably have to be disallowed.) Members of your order would be recruited from dynasties, where orders with higher-ranking members might have an easier time with recruitment than a smaller order. Unlike now, there would be a real risk of your dynasty dying out altogether because the continuation of your order outside of free investiture demands actively recruiting individuals from secular dynasties. This could be made easier for larger theocracies, where orders led by higher-ranking members or with more prestigious or pious leaders might have an easier time recruiting more members to the order.

Fake Edit: A_Raving_Loon tldr'd my post before I made it

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Fintilgin posted:

I'm putting my money down now.

Armstrong is a Paradox style space 4x. :dance:

Nero is HOI4. :barf:

Nope. :10bux: please

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Well Armstrong must be a bicycle racing game then. Can you win the Tour de France and avoid blood doping charges?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Darkrenown posted:

Heh. Now I just have to keep guessing. My ploy succeeded.

:v:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Well Armstrong must be a bicycle racing game then. Can you win the Tour de France and avoid blood doping charges?

It'll be Pro Tour Bicycle Manager 2015, mark it down.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Darkrenown posted:

You guys really should try your hands at a space 4x though. Just saying.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

vyelkin posted:

It'll be Pro Tour Bicycle Manager 2015, mark it down.

I'd buy it.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I hope one of them is a podcat virtual pet keychain fob.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

nutranurse posted:

You guys really should try your hands at a space 4x though. Just saying.

Ck2 in space with huge corps is basically my dream. That or vicky3

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Armstrong is a licensed game for the Stallone classic Over The Top.

Nero is Fiddle Hero.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

vyelkin posted:

Nero is Fiddle Hero.

If Nero is running at the same time as any other Paradox game, you don't get event options, they're picked automatically by the AI.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

'Nero' backwards is 'oren' which, as we all know, is Swedish for 'filthy'. I, for one, look forward to Paradox Presents: Sewage Systems Manager 2014.

e: 'Armstrong' backwards is 'gnortsmra', which makes no sense at first glance. However, if you space things out a bit you get 'G'nort's MRA', so that project is clearly about gender issues in the Green Lantern Corps.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 18, 2014

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Nero is a strategy game like Crusader Kings, only you play the king's right-hand man and try to prevent the insane ones from ruining everything.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Armstrong is obviously a Metal Gear Solid RTS. Nanomachines, son!

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

vyelkin posted:

Nero is a strategy game like Crusader Kings, only you play the king's right-hand man and try to prevent the insane ones from ruining everything.

Wrong, you play a megalomaniac Roman Emperor and try to lead as debauched a lifestyle as possible while staying alive/in power

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

vyelkin posted:

Emanuel Collective posted:

Wrong, you play a megalomaniac Roman Emperor and try to lead as debauched a lifestyle as possible while staying alive/in power

I would unironically play both of these games.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Ofaloaf posted:

'Nero' backwards is 'oren' which, as we all know, is Swedish for 'filthy'.

It's also the common (if devalued) currency in the Witcher. Time for Temeria Universalis!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Cantorsdust posted:

It's also the common (if devalued) currency in the Witcher. Time for Temeria Universalis!

Well if that's your thing, here you go.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Armstrong is an unfortunate ESL mistake by Paradox. It was supposed to be Strongarm, a CK2 republic-esque game about controlling a Mafia dynasty.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
Space and ships are in project Armstrong, as they were in Half Life 2.

Half Life 3 CONFIRMED.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

fermun posted:

Armstrong is an unfortunate ESL mistake by Paradox. It was supposed to be Strongarm, a CK2 republic-esque game about controlling a Mafia dynasty.

Wasn't that game CK2: The Republic? (I would play a Mafia game like CK2)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Armstrong is an official licensed tie-in to that reality show that's trying to colonize Mars.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Epinephrine posted:

Space and ships are in project Armstrong, as they were in Half Life 2.

Half Life 3 CONFIRMED.

Combine Universalis is cool and all, but I'm holding out on buying it until we get the DLC to play as the humans.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Nero is a guitar hero crossover. You use the power of fiddle-based rock to scorch Europe.

Armstrong is a comet destruction game. You play a space station out in the ort cloud. A large wave of comets is approaching the solar system. If they get through, all hell will break loose on Earth. It is up to you and a few other intrepid astronauts to stop certain apocalypse.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Nero is an EU4 expansion focused on Africa. You know, because it means black in Italian.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

unwantedplatypus posted:

Nero is a guitar hero crossover. You use the power of fiddle-based rock to scorch Europe.

Brütal Legend with you as the bad guy?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

A Legend of Zelda clone set during the fall of the western roman empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

ZearothK posted:

Nero is an EU4 expansion focused on Africa. You know, because it means black in Italian.

Νερό in Greek means water and would be latinised the same way, so this is obviously an Atlantis invader/alt-hist DLC for CK2/EU4/both.

• Locked thread