Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Unearthed is clearly garbage but it's hard for me to hate it on principle. Like if it paves the way for good games to start coming out of this region of the world then all the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

ovaries posted:

Unearthed is clearly garbage but it's hard for me to hate it on principle. Like if it paves the way for good games to start coming out of this region of the world then all the better.

Garshap was the first attempt. This is sort of a step up I guess.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Drew has horns.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Oh hell yeah Sportsfriends. Can't wait for it to finally come out to PS4.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

cronox2 posted:

Oh hell yeah Sportsfriends. Can't wait for it to finally come out to PS4.

I've never seen the Poleriders part of this game before, this is pretty great. This plus Bari Bari ball and Joust is a pretty great combo.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is this the game that Max Temkin championed during that E3 roundtable as he was saying all shooters were brown and garbage or something?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You guys should watch Jeff Green streaming Dark Souls right now http://www.twitch.tv/greenspeak

Imagine if Brad was 50 years old and couldn't figure out how to make the sound work in Windows 8

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Jimbot posted:

Is this the game that Max Temkin championed during that E3 roundtable as he was saying all shooters were brown and garbage or something?

Yes, that is the future of games.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It looks like fun, to be sure, but all the other games of this compilation look infinitely more entertaining.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Holy poo poo is Next Car Game amazing to play. The Steam Early Access thing has both the races and the test course with pachinko machine and other weird devices and it's probably one of the first real "next gen" feeling things I've experienced. Runs smooth as butter on a not quite top of the line machine too.

Also Patrick just tweeted this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2ifYunhT7s

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

OH NO! OWN GOAL!?"

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Pole riders is great and Brad is getting way into it

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Pole Riders is the best thing in the collection, no contest.

e: Brad got real savage at this game real fast.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Crowbear posted:

Pole Riders is the best thing in the collection, no contest.

It depends on how well Joust is done with the new Dual Shocks since they have both lightbars and speakers now.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

This is absolutely priceless. I'd be all gamers.txt but Adam Sessler basically did just this but over Twitter and for a PS4 Debug unit.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jeff Green making GBS threads on Games For Windows is always the best. Reminder that this guy was the managing editor of Games For Windows: The Official Magazine.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Jeff Green making GBS threads on Games For Windows is always the best. Reminder that this guy was the managing editor of Games For Windows: The Official Magazine.

Well, they did buy out Computer Gaming World and decided to use that to propagate their initiative before abandoning it before it even got started. Then Ziff decided to discontinue the print magazine and make him and the writing staff glorified bloggers which is why he quit. If print were around or if he were doing things like Giantbomb are doing with his writing staff then I'd think he would have stuck it out. Man, 1up was such a great place in the mid 2000's. They had great video content but it was crazy they couldn't decide to do PC video things with the Brodeo.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
I wish GFW episodes were archived down to the segment like Idle Thumbs ones are because I'd love to find the where they just crapped on one of MS's GFWL ads where like 3 guys were shouting at the same random Shadowrun screenshot.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Great, now I miss Computer Gaming World and all the other PC game mags. The heyday of demo discs, Coconut Monkey, and Limey (Screw you!).

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Mutation posted:

"The best part is when they start mating children with their parents" - Brad Shoemaker

Someone's playing Crusader Kings 2?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

The Machine posted:

Great, now I miss Computer Gaming World and all the other PC game mags. The heyday of demo discs, Coconut Monkey, and Limey (Screw you!).

Just never go back and reread PCXL issues because it will also make you wince plenty. For every good joke there were some reeeeeal clunkers.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Awesome magazine when you're 15.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Yodzilla posted:

Holy poo poo is Next Car Game amazing to play. The Steam Early Access thing has both the races and the test course with pachinko machine and other weird devices and it's probably one of the first real "next gen" feeling things I've experienced. Runs smooth as butter on a not quite top of the line machine too.

Is next car game that one racing demo thing with the sports car that had the super insane crashing physics or was that a speedster beta car race thing? I don't remember if that was the same or not.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

randombattle posted:

Is next car game that one racing demo thing with the sports car that had the super insane crashing physics or was that a speedster beta car race thing? I don't remember if that was the same or not.

Insane crashing physics but they're more muscle cars and old rally machines than sports cars.

e: for more information check GiantBomb.com! :haw:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Apparently I was thinking of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Un3Q_RBU-E

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Ah yeah. I think Drew mentioned that (and maybe played it on UPF once?) but it's also going to be a game of sorts...at some point. They're doing their own form of early access on their own site.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

ovaries posted:

I actually personally know the lead director who made the game. Enough so that I could ask him

A) Why he's cloning the poo poo out of Uncharted

B) Why he aimed so high when he couldnt deliver a quality product

C) Why he didnt focus on smaller more creative games.

D) What he thinks of the lovely review scores.

Basically, he said that the reason why they cloned uncharted was that that style of game is popular and he wanted their own spin on it, the reason he aimed so high was that essentially this game is a tech demo that has allowed his team to understand the tools and graphics better (he showed me a graphics demo of where they're at now), they wanted to make a 'big' game so that they can use that knowledge to get better and better, making smaller ones wouldnt give them that experience. and Finally the review scores he found the one single review that didnt nail him to the cross that tells him they're on the right path.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Is it crazy to really like Early Access? I understand why people are cautious about it, but I enjoy having a bunch of weird alpha builds of games that won't be finished for a year or two. It's also just fun to play a alpha and try to see what is and isn't there, or where the jank is.

Al-Saqr posted:

I actually personally know the lead director who made the game. Enough so that I could ask him

A) Why he's cloning the poo poo out of Uncharted

B) Why he aimed so high when he couldnt deliver a quality product

C) Why he didnt focus on smaller more creative games.

D) What he thinks of the lovely review scores.

Basically, he said that the reason why they cloned uncharted was that that style of game is popular and he wanted their own spin on it, the reason he aimed so high was that essentially this game is a tech demo that has allowed his team to understand the tools and graphics better (he showed me a graphics demo of where they're at now), they wanted to make a 'big' game so that they can use that knowledge to get better and better, making smaller ones wouldnt give them that experience. and Finally the review scores he found the one single review that didnt nail him to the cross that tells him they're on the right path.
Hah, interesting. I wonder if Patrick would be interested in interviewing him.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
You know I've been pretty resistant to crapping on anyone's gaming skills in this thread but man, Brad is Brad as gently caress at Dr. Mario.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sexy Randal posted:

You know I've been pretty resistant to crapping on anyone's gaming skills in this thread but man, Brad is Brad as gently caress at Dr. Mario.

So is Vinny. To the point where even Jeff calls them both on it near the end of the QL.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

It must be a shame being born a couple decades too late to be one of the main characters in Galaxy Invader. Bending down mid-video to spit out a little chaw really puts the bow on that one.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Al-Saqr posted:

Then why the hell is the developer switching to a new engine for their next iteration if this was to understand the tools and graphics :psyduck:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Watching UPF now. Brad's beard is coming in nice. Grow that poo poo out.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 18, 2014

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Blister posted:

Then why the hell is the developer switching to a new engine for their next iteration if this was to understand the tools and graphics :psyduck:

He didnt say that they're switching to a new engine, but that they're going to improve and upgrade on the one they're working with now. I'm not sure whether he meant that they were using unreal 3 or not.

It doesnt seem like they need to worry about being profitable or having a quick development cycle, they seem to be in a position where they want to play the long game of trying to shoot straight for what they imagine to be AAA status polish and presentation rather than try to come up with a unique concept or artistic flair in smaller more manageable projects.

I'm actually tempted to send him an email to let him know that giantbomb covered his game, but I dont have premium so I dont know what the GB crew actually say about the game, so I dont want to be the bearer of bad news to the guy.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jan 18, 2014

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Al-Saqr posted:

He didnt say that they're switching to a new engine, but that they're going to improve and upgrade on the one they're working with now. I'm not sure whether he meant that they were using unreal 3 or not.

To quote the dev from the steam forums:
"Episode 1 was created using the Unity Engine, which was a great experience and allowed us to create the first story driven "console/Multi-platform" game from the Middle East since the days of the Atari 2600. Yes, we are over 30 years late and we are playing catch up. Episode 1 was our first step and we intend to take things to the next level with episode 2 which will be using the Unreal Engine and targeting PS4, Xbox One, PC, Mac and Linux (For Steam OS, Yay!)."

They're straight up going from using Unity to Unreal and targeting to release it on 4 platforms they haven't had experience with, compared to the buggy iOS, PS3, and slightly improved PC versions.

Blister fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 18, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hey, good on them for being ambitious, but I bet the next release is going to be just as bad!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I loved when the overused modern dust-in-the-lens filter I'd been seeing all day playing AC4 popped up in that tutorial.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Hakkesshu posted:

Hey, good on them for being ambitious, but I bet the next release is going to be just as bad!

If Al-Saqr can get over the fear of offending his friend, he could go explain to the guy about learning to walk before trying to run a marathon and make a less ambitious, solid game before aiming for the stars.

Blister fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jan 18, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Al-Saqr posted:

I'm actually tempted to send him an email to let him know that giantbomb covered his game, but I dont have premium so I dont know what the GB crew actually say about the game, so I dont want to be the bearer of bad news to the guy.

"This is bad. Very, very bad."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Blister posted:

If Al-Saqr can get over the fear of offending his friend, he could go explain to the guy about learning to walk before trying to run a marathon and make a less ambitious, solid game before aiming for the stars.

He's not a friend just an acquaintance, also, I already told him that. I know him but not enough that I can go email him randomly and tell him 'haha check it Giantbomb says you suck'. I told him on multiple occasions what you said and his reply was what it was. it's clear that he insists on this trajectory so I'm not going to rub facts he doesn't want to learn in his face.

• Locked thread