Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

This should be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

The poster before me who was posting Mark Trail stopped suddenly, iirc due to depression. As soon as I picked up Mark Trail I found myself sinking into depression also. Mark Trail is a curse.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

The answer posted:

Slylock thinks one of the convicts may have been injured during the breakout. He suspects the other one carried him from the tree.

Slylock Fox

I'm more concerned about how wrong Slylock is holding that coffee mug and the fact that they have a nativity scene, a Star of David, and a Santa Claus figurine on the fireplace mantle.

Moose and Molly

So is Molly going to do anything about her son taking the dog out for a walk in the middle of a blizzard or is neglect just kind of the status quo around here.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Somebody threw a snowman out of a plane.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Borden posted:

You could totally post them. It would be great! :)
Unfortunately the gutters on the Fantagraphics Nancy anthologies are pretty small and the spines aren't flexible enough to get good images from a flatbed scanner.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

I'm starving but they wont feed me if I say so. :(

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

It's not that Josh is a good guy, it's just that everyone else is at least as bad as he is. He's the only one who's even the slightest bit professional; look at how Marla just had no idea what was going on in that conference call and how she exploded at Josh when he dared to quit, or how Cooper is sleeping with one of the employees who he's supposed to be supervising. We're supposed to be okay with what Marla and Cooper do because they're the protagonists, but it's clearly just as bad as Josh's driving self-interest to everyone but the author and apparently you.

It's kind of like Tiffany in Luann. Sure she might be kind of unpleasant sometimes, but she gets poo poo on by the rest of the cast consistently, and they're obviously just as bad as she is, but we're told she's the villain so we're supposed to root for everyone else.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Drakyn posted:

At the time she was clearly worried and actively looking to him for help, which is pretty damned noteworthy because they hate each other. If he were merely a somewhat smug and highly competent guy who loved his job, that would be a PERFECT opportunity to (1) prove he's better than her (2) still come off looking on-the-ball to his boss's boss and (3) probably undo a good chunk of the low-level anger she feels towards him for being a corporate tool back when they worked at the same level. There was utterly no reason to watch her crash and burn in front of him, arms crossed, because even if she was going to find some way to blame him for helping her, there is no way in hell it was going to be comparable to the bile raised by his deliberately withholding cost-free aid. You just claimed the reason the guy was more likable than the rest of the cast was because he was the only one who wasn't motivated by petty spite and one of the earliest things we saw him do was saw his nose off because gently caress YOU FACE, I DO WHAT I LIKE, THAT NOSE WAS ALREADY BLEEDING ANYWAYS.

A) One of the first things you saw him do. Many of us have been reading the comic for longer than that, and it had even appeared in either the last iteration of this thread or the one before. It was not new to us at that point.

B) He wasn't cutting off his nose to spite his face. His failure to help Marla in that situation cost him nothing. She already hated him and it didn't change the opinion of Marla's boss (who likes him).

C) There was a great reason to watch her crash and burn. She treats him terribly all the time, even when he goes out of his way to be pleasant and helpful. He knows from experience that helping her is not going to do him any good, so he may as well get some satisfaction out of seeing her fall on her arse.

And again, no one here is saying that they like Josh. We just dislike him less than Marla or Cooper.

Midnight Moth posted:

Slylock Fox

I'm more concerned about how wrong Slylock is holding that coffee mug and the fact that they have a nativity scene, a Star of David, and a Santa Claus figurine on the fireplace mantle.

The star is probably the Star of Bethlehem.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

It's kind of like Tiffany in Luann. Sure she might be kind of unpleasant sometimes, but she gets poo poo on by the rest of the cast consistently, and they're obviously just as bad as she is, but we're told she's the villain so we're supposed to root for everyone else.
Some of the authors of these strips may make an assumption that readers remember things about the characters that happened in the strips years ago to support these characterizations, and that is probably a really bad assumption to make. I have no idea why I remember this, but Evans used to write Tiffany as a genuine bully - there were storylines where she took locker room pictures of people and put them online, where she lied and cheated to get advantages in competitions, went out of her way to criticize people's clothes and looks, and other fairly intense mean-girl stuff. We're supposed to know that and factor it into her character even though she hasn't been shown to do anything like that in a long while.

I only got introduced to Retail when it started being posted here so I don't know for sure if it's the same kind of deal, but it would make some sense. But in any case, Josh has been written as doing some pretty dickish stuff in the recent past so there's not much need for deep context there.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The Sphinxster posted:

I don't know why but this one got me chortling. I don't want to eat a mouse on a foggy morning either.

My dog would eat a cold mouse on a foggy morning.

I agree with this comparison. Tiff is kind of a bitch, and if she were in a comic where any of the other characters were at all likeable, she'd come off as such. However, she's in Luann, where everybody else are horrible creeps. Even worse, they're horrible creeps that we're supposed to like, and we're all supposed to enjoy living vicariously through these horrible creeps as they look down their noses at Tiffany. It makes it almost impossible not to like her.

Josh is an rear end in a top hat, yes. But so is everybody else. The difference is that we're supposed to be rooting for all these other assholes and it's kind of hard not to resent that.

Apartment 3-G

Come on, Tommie's Mom. This is Apartment 3-G, as drawn by Frank Bolle. Who in this comic hasn't given up on life?

The Amazing Spider-Man

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

I think Diana forgot her boyfriend is a superhero.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Drakyn posted:

Why NOT Josh? Again: I seriously have no beef with hating Retail and/or Retail's characters. I just cannot for the life of me understand why one of them must be reinvented as a p. cool dude struggling against the tides simply because the rest of the cast dislikes him.
Because having the entire cast constantly pick on and ridicule one character, even if he's kind of a jerk, just makes you look like bullies. Not to mention Josh is somewhere in his mid 20s and still kind of naive, while the rest of the cast is in their 30s and need to grow the hell up. Especially the manager.

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Wanamingo posted:

Nancy

I'm starving but they wont feed me if I say so. :(

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Tiggum posted:

C) There was a great reason to watch her crash and burn. She treats him terribly all the time, even when he goes out of his way to be pleasant and helpful. He knows from experience that helping her is not going to do him any good, so he may as well get some satisfaction out of seeing her fall on her arse.

And again, no one here is saying that they like Josh. We just dislike him less than Marla or Cooper.

Emphasis mine.

Please show me Josh doing anything pleasant or nice, when it's not mainly a means to serving his own self-interest. Dig me up one little altruistic act, and I'll reconsider what an awful person I think he is.

That's also just dumb, circuitous logic. "Why should he be nice, instead of a self-serving shithead? She already hates him for being a self-serving shithead!" Here's a novel idea: Grow a conscience, and break the cycle. Realize that simple acts of humanity are what makes working in a corporate retail environment bearable. Josh is like an old billionaire who suddenly decides all of his success was solely his doing, except he's just an assistant manager who's risen about as high as he'll get.

Sure nobody in Retail is a Mary Sue, but choosing Josh as the least offensive character is just a textbook example of goony contrarianism.

Also, using the office relationship = bad argument to pile onto Cooper and Val is petty and hilarious.

Clitch fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 18, 2014

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Cooper is pretty blatantly Feuti's self-insert and definitely a Mary-Sue.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Clitch posted:

Also, using the office relationship = bad argument to pile onto Cooper and Val is petty and hilarious.

It's not "office relationship = bad" it's "he's in a position of authority over her, and clearly won't be impartial in any situation involving her and another employee". It's not immoral it's unprofessional.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Once again, Brooke's comics are greatly improved by having a main character commit suicide.

Pibgorn

This, of course, is Brooke's subtle way of telling us that Juliet can't sit down because she's sore from taking it up the dumper.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

It is, you just don't have it. Sorry, Gil.

Retail

Oh, well, problem solved! Mina will probably be super psyched to help you up on that workload.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

You did it wrong, Bleeker. You're the one who's supposed to go live with Lila and leave the others behind.

Dustin

"Seriously, Dustin, GTFO of my house."

On the Fastrack

Watch out, Dethany. She's just going to figure she's paying you too much if you're buying frivolous novelty items.

Safe Havens

I forget. Why did Palmtop agree to all this again?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

9 Chickweed Lane 1/16/2003

Double plus un-funny. This is stupid, Brooke. :ughh:

Everett True would literally disembowel this person.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

What is going on here?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

It's not "office relationship = bad" it's "he's in a position of authority over her, and clearly won't be impartial in any situation involving her and another employee". It's not immoral it's unprofessional.

Where are you getting this from? Cooper manages the warehouse, and Val works the retail floor. The only person he's in a position of authority over is the big semi-retarded guy whose name I can't remember.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen

catlord posted:

What is going on here?

Bill O'Malley has a head wound and he hallucinates that he is in the movie 'It Happened One Night'. He pictures himself and other people in this story as characters in this movie because it gives Brooke a chance to re-do this scene again:

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Nipponophile posted:

Where are you getting this from? Cooper manages the warehouse, and Val works the retail floor. The only person he's in a position of authority over is the big semi-retarded guy whose name I can't remember.

Well then I misunderstood the exact careers of these fictional people.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Nipponophile posted:

He actually had it backwards. Val is a shift supervisor, so she's his boss. Or was at the time of this strip.

e:

Clitch posted:

choosing Josh as the least offensive character is just a textbook example of goony contrarianism.
Josh is the least offensive character. All the other characters offend me a lot more.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 18, 2014

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Mr. Cool Ice posted:

In today's installment: Slipping on a banana peel.

Slipping on banana peels was a constant hazard back then.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

:allears: Oh, Lothar.

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Midnight Moth posted:

Josh is the least offensive character. All the other characters offend me a lot more.

Same. He is the character I dislike the least, except for Mina, and I mainly like Mina because she exists for no reason than to make all the others miserable. He's a jerk and not someone I'd want to be around in real life, but so is everyone else, and that he's the only character that the narrative isn't telling us to root for makes his jerkishness less irritating.

Again, going to posit my theory that Fueti realized that people weren't really buying that Josh is any worse than the others, hence Mina's arrival to add a "real" villain to the cast. Which I find hilarious because it doesn't change that everyone else is still a dick so anyone who doesn't like them (like a lot of us here) are just going to enjoy her inflicting evil upon everyone else, assuming she doesn't just disappear in a puff of wasted plot shortly.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

The situation's been clarified, but I'll expand on that. Val outranked Cooper, but she wasn't his direct superior. Sales floor staff don't typically supervise back-end staff. It really wasn't a conflict of interest. The only reason it was an issue was that Stuart is enough of a douche to push the issue to spite Cooper.

Feuti's normally pretty good at working the inside baseball of retail into the strip.

Roland Jones posted:

Same. He is the character I dislike the least, except for Mina, and I mainly like Mina because she exists for no reason than to make all the others miserable. He's a jerk and not someone I'd want to be around in real life, but so is everyone else, and that he's the only character that the narrative isn't telling us to root for makes his jerkishness less irritating.

Again, going to posit my theory that Fueti realized that people weren't really buying that Josh is any worse than the others, hence Mina's arrival to add a "real" villain to the cast. Which I find hilarious because it doesn't change that everyone else is still a dick so anyone who doesn't like them (like a lot of us here) are just going to enjoy her inflicting evil upon everyone else, assuming she doesn't just disappear in a puff of wasted plot shortly.

The most threatening thing Mina has done, so far, is have internal monologue.

Clitch fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 18, 2014

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Cooper doesn't just do stock, he also builds displays and puts out merchandise, which Val would be supervising. So there's still a conflict of interest.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Jesus, how did the Retail thread fail? You people can't stop talking about it.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Aardmania posted:

Bill O'Malley has a head wound and he hallucinates that he is in the movie 'It Happened One Night'. He pictures himself and other people in this story as characters in this movie because it gives Brooke a chance to re-do this scene again:

Surely, you mean

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
How can you talk so much about Retail? It's the most boring strip ever.

I'd right this Lio but it wouldn't make any more sense.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Clitch posted:

The most threatening thing Mina has done, so far, is have internal monologue.

In theory, I mean. I'm hoping she'll do something legitimately evil, because otherwise this whole thing is going to be a huge disappointment. Josh, the character making the strip actually interesting to discuss, leaves, and the character promising conflict delivering nothing for all the buildup? What a letdown.

Though her blatantly evil internal monologuing amuses me a bit, at least. She's just so cartoonishly evil I'm half-expecting her to sprout a mustache to twirl.

Mmann
Dec 1, 2007

Kyoon Was Right
12/21/12

Clitch posted:

Please show me Josh doing anything pleasant or nice, when it's not mainly a means to serving his own self-interest. Dig me up one little altruistic act, and I'll reconsider what an awful person I think he is.

Midnight Moth posted:

Pretty much. I mean, hell, she doesn't like him because he likes his job.

August 1, 2013

Man, what a fucker. Confidence AND optimism? No wonder she hates him.
Josh today is an absolute dick but he wasn't always a dick: he started as a guy who was just really, really into his job and wanted to do everything exactly by the book.

He was naive and annoying, a corporate shill doing things like telling them they shouldn't run the cardboard crusher with the door open and their shirts untucked.
Val hated him because he corrected her for folding the clothes without boards, and if he was real and I had to work with him I would hate him for that poo poo too, but that doesn't change the fact that he was actually just naive and overzealous, and became a real prick over over time because he was constantly poo poo on (and also his gimmick got stale so Feuti needed some other way to keep him annoying/the villain).

If I had to work with a guy like Cooper who pawned his extra work onto other employees while he took extra breaks, or had the Christmas help do his entire job while he built transformers out of boxes, I would hate Cooper far more than a corporate pawn like Josh. Josh would make the work I do tedious and horrible but at least I wouldn't be doing HIS work too.

but, we also need to keep in mind he isn't a real person.
So when we talk about Josh we're just saying that Feuti did a really lovely job of making him worse than anyone else on the cast, and that trying to cast him as the villain just seems dumb and doesn't really resonate. We don't care about the inside baseball or how things really work in retail, we just care that it's hard to feel empathy for the majority of the cast when they're barely better than the 'villain'.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Midnight Moth posted:

Cooper doesn't just do stock, he also builds displays and puts out merchandise, which Val would be supervising. So there's still a conflict of interest.

I just wrote two paragraphs splitting hairs over this, but gently caress it. You win.

vvvv I'm honestly sorry I got into it. I concede all Retail arguments. All hail Josh.

Clitch fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 18, 2014

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Retail is seriously starting to make me hate this thread and never want to return. GO AWAY!!!

... But strangely enough I really like Gil. I'm just amazed that Feuti can make one series that's charming, and another that's completely abhorrent. It's a little like the Raine Dog/Heavenly Nostrils divide.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Simian_Prime posted:

Retail is seriously starting to make me hate this thread and never want to return. GO AWAY!!!

... But strangely enough I really like Gil. I'm just amazed that Feuti can make one series that's charming, and another that's completely abhorrent. It's a little like the Raine Dog/Heavenly Nostrils divide.

And tragically, Gil gets cancelled while Retail lives on.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (January 21, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean denies us a whole week of side-splitting bloodmobile action.

Popeye is all about blowing holes into things today.

Rip Haywire

Pogo (January 21, 1956)

Ol' Mouse is talking about the Truman reconstruction, when the White House interior had to be dismantled and rebuilt because the whole thing was in danger of collapsing. Wiki: "While the house's structure was kept intact by the Truman reconstruction, much of the new interior finishes were generic, and of little historic value." Welcome to the mid-century.

Out Our Way (April 9-10, 1924)

The lighter side of babysitter neglect!

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

Is this even a pun anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Eh, its wordplay, which is like pun's slightly less shameful cousin.

• Locked thread