Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I wanted to argue about what an awful person Josh is, but Gunther managed to dull the life out of me.

You are wearing a pink and black checked cardigan! You button your shirts all the way to the top! You probably utter the phrase "sensible shoes" at least once a week. You are not a teenage boy with a gallon of hormones in your junk, and a hot girlfriend! You are a thirty-eight year old, live at home, actuary with an overbearing mother who probably insisted on giving you baths until you were twelve!

No seventeen year old guy like you has ever existed! I hate you! I'm yelling at a comic strip character! gently caress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I like that Evans can't come up with a better example of crazy teenage shenanigans than rolling down a drat hill.

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

Really Pants posted:

I like that Evans can't come up with a better example of crazy teenage shenanigans than rolling down a drat hill.

An angle of 147 would also be 43. He can't just say 45 degrees, or 43 degrees, he has to measure the angle by eye accurately.

"Sewing has given me trigonometric superpowers when I was pricked by a Radioactive needle."

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

sweetguts posted:

The parents in Cul-de-sac are the best. The FOOB parents probably would have just lectured their kid for saying it wrong or something.

Why is the tree sentient. Why can it talk. Why does it communicate through a speaker. Why does it have a gender. Why. Why. Wh- Oh gently caress it.

Why wouldn't a tree have a gender?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (January 20, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Pogo was originally drafted as the swamp's presidential nominee in 1952. A pro-Pogo rally at Harvard was chaotic enough to be busted up by the police, an event the class of '52 termed The Pogo Riot. (January 20, 1956)

Out Our Way (April 7-8, 1924)

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

don Jaime posted:

Catching up with Lio.

Literally the first thing I thought of:

Jane's World

Ahhh! Hulk Hand! :v:

Non Sequitur

I burst out laughing when I read this in the morning paper. Very good, Wiley!

Heavenly Nostrils

At least you're not posting it to Facebook, Phoebe (or are you?), like half the people on my friend list do.

Kliban

Man, he's been kinda out there this week. Is that a separate panel, or is that monk in the room below the praying dude?

9 Chickweed Lane 1/17/2003

:ughh: For the love of God, Brooke, step off it. It's dumb, and it's dead.

Zits

I'm sure it most likely will, Jeremy.

Kevin & Kell

Ok, I smiled at that. Not too bad, Holbrook.

Nemi

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Everett True
February 15 & 16, 1918

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kliban

Man, he's been kinda out there this week. Is that a separate panel, or is that monk in the room below the praying dude?

The second one is the downstairs neighbor.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

TampaTango posted:

An angle of 147 would also be 43. He can't just say 45 degrees, or 43 degrees, he has to measure the angle by eye accurately.

"Sewing has given me trigonometric superpowers when I was pricked by a Radioactive needle."

It's a shame we can't have a cross-over with Spider-man, then he could get needled by a radioactive prick!
:haw:

Cul-de-sac

The Creeps

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

Rock climbing course:
(My vision is getting dark... I'm going to fall...)
- THIS IS DIZZYING!
- Yeah, isn't it?

Technically, huimaa just means "I feel dizzy". The reason I specifically wrote "dizzying" is because it (or rather huima, meaning "reckless") can be used as a positive adjective meaning something akin to "awesome", as in both awe-inspiring and excellent.

Fok_it

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Mike du Jour

Monty

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Indolent Bastard posted:

[b]Mike du Jour

:stare: Jesus Christ, Doorknob.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Mister Beeg posted:

Thorn (October 28-November 1, 1983)

Thank you for posting these. I'm currently reading the Bone books to my son at bedtime, and being able to see "Thorn" where there are all of the same characters with the same personalities and style but less developed and in a much rougher style - it's a very interesting contrast.

For those unfamiliar, here's what the characters of Foney Bone, Fone Bone, Thorn, and Gran'ma Ben look like in the Bone books:

It's a much crisper, cleaner look. Some of that might be development as an artist, but I think it's also a stylistic choice: in "Thorn", he's going for something much closer to Bloom County, which is appropriate given the political/societal commentary. "Bone" is much more, as someone else put it, "Mickey Mouse in Lord of the Rings", and the cleaner style works much better there.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Indolent Bastard posted:

[b]Mike du Jour

This is an edit, right? There's no goddamn way this racist poo poo made it into the papers, right?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Indolent Bastard posted:

[b]Mike du Jour

Ahahaha loving Lester you shithead. I now choose to believe he's just an elaborate troll doing all this intentionally.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stultus Maximus posted:

:stare: Jesus Christ, Doorknob.

Doorknob?

Did someone fart?

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

This is an edit, right? There's no goddamn way this racist poo poo made it into the papers, right?

It's probably an edit.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

After a week's reprieve the temperature's starting to dip again, so cuddle up with some Warm and Cozy Dog Comix.

Pooch Café

The way Paul draws cats' paws and eyes makes them all look like little purple gorillas.

Ballard Street

The way Jerry draws dogs' everything makes them all look amazing all the time.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Wanamingo posted:

Andertoons

:stonklol:

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Marla already hated him when this happened. He had no reason to back her up. Besides which, she is a dunce, and is pretty clearly incompetent as a manager, since she can't even handle an employee quitting without throwing a loving temper tantrum.

Tiggum posted:

If that was the first Retail strip you saw I can understand how you'd get that impression, but A) He didn't deliberately make her look dumb, she made herself look dumb and he just didn't bother to help her out of the hole she'd dug herself and B) she'd given him absolutely no reason to ever help her in any way, since she'd made it abundantly clear that he would get nothing in return. She's petty and never lets go of a grudge. So instead of trying to please her, which is pointless, he let her deal with her own problems. Even if he had helped her in that situation she'd just have found something else to hate him for instead, because she always does.
At the time she was clearly worried and actively looking to him for help, which is pretty damned noteworthy because they hate each other. If he were merely a somewhat smug and highly competent guy who loved his job, that would be a PERFECT opportunity to (1) prove he's better than her (2) still come off looking on-the-ball to his boss's boss and (3) probably undo a good chunk of the low-level anger she feels towards him for being a corporate tool back when they worked at the same level. There was utterly no reason to watch her crash and burn in front of him, arms crossed, because even if she was going to find some way to blame him for helping her, there is no way in hell it was going to be comparable to the bile raised by his [i]deliberately withholding cost-free aid[i/]. You just claimed the reason the guy was more likable than the rest of the cast was because he was the only one who wasn't motivated by petty spite and one of the earliest things we saw him do was saw his nose off because gently caress YOU FACE, I DO WHAT I LIKE, THAT NOSE WAS ALREADY BLEEDING ANYWAYS.

Midnight Moth posted:

Pretty much. I mean, hell, she doesn't like him because he likes his job.

August 1, 2013

She doesn't like him because she's a bitter and angry person who's had to deal with him producing stuff like the skirt incident mentioned a few pages ago (the one that caused questioning of the existence of skirts, because skirts existing would make Josh look like a jackass and also a bit of a sexist), and has been given no reasons to change her mind, so she just loathes him as a default setting. You know, like we do with everyone in the strip except Josh.
Why NOT Josh? Again: I seriously have no beef with hating Retail and/or Retail's characters. I just cannot for the life of me understand why one of them must be reinvented as a p. cool dude struggling against the tides simply because the rest of the cast dislikes him.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Spoil sport

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Oh you had me suckered. I posted your edit in the Politcal Cartoons thread as the real thing.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

The epitome of Steve and Opus' relationship.

Calvin And Hobbes

The Big Picture is referred to in the past tense in its GoComics blurb. Is it a zombie?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It has a 2002 date on it, so probably.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Drakyn posted:

Why NOT Josh? Again: I seriously have no beef with hating Retail and/or Retail's characters. I just cannot for the life of me understand why one of them must be reinvented as a p. cool dude struggling against the tides simply because the rest of the cast dislikes him.

I don't think anyone here is seriously rooting for Josh or calling him a hero. He just comes off as the least detestable person in this strip. So far, he's the only person in the strip who doesn't seem satisfied to wallow in their own mediocre wretchedness, and he's seen as the bad guy for it. Now that I think about it, Mina's the only other person in the strip with any motivation to get ahead in life, and she's presented as unambiguously evil. It's a pretty lovely attitude for a comic strip to have, and 'rooting' for Josh is just a way for people to rag on it.

Honestly, I don't think I could stand to be around someone like Josh for five minutes, but that's five minutes and fifty five seconds longer than I'd put up with just about anyone else in the drat strip.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I'm... I'm not sure how historically correct that is, Sluggo.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

I think that Slugo pissing on things should be the new Calvin pissing on things.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Darthemed posted:

Bloom County

The epitome of Steve and Opus' relationship.

Calvin And Hobbes

The Big Picture is referred to in the past tense in its GoComics blurb. Is it a zombie?

I've been reading Calvin and Hobbes since I was a child and it's still teaching me new words.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Drakyn posted:

Because we hate everyone else more and they're the author's favorites/the "good guys", so the person they all hate and who the author wants us to think of as a bad guy despite pretty much being on roughly the same level as them becomes more likable. This is also why we were excited for Mina's arrival and then disappointed by her inability. Though assuming Marla can't get away with nepotism and doesn't take on the hours herself, Mina getting so much attention might mean she's sticking around after all.

Actually that might be what all this is. Author realized that Josh really wasn't working as a villain because he was basically to the real boss what Cooper is to Marla rather than an actual villain, so he's being swapped out for someone who is literally and deliberately evil. Which is both hilarious and really, really dumb.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

In today's installment: Slipping on a banana peel.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Holy poo poo, Foxy Grandpa is a badass. I thought he'd get out of the duel somehow or maybe get the count to slip on a second banana peel or something, but nope, he just straight up outclasses him in open combat. Look at the last panel. The man is terrified.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

Is that a lily-pad shaped ship? Of course it's a lily-pad shaped ship, because what else would frog aliens fly around in.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Mr. Cool Ice posted:

Sexy Grandpa Abroad. Unintentionally he hurts the feelings of a Parisian Count, but he gives him full satisfaction on the field of honor. (If you know what I mean :corrupt:).

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (January 20, 1967)

Big Freedia coming one more time.

I don't know why but this one got me chortling. I don't want to eat a mouse on a foggy morning either.

You got me too.

Say, would it be a big deal to post Monty first and MdJ second? Processing how awful MdJ is puts me right off comic strips for a few moments makes me skip Monty a lot of times and I think it is to my detriment. I know it's a weird request.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Don't let people peer pressure you into rolling around on a bunch of poky rocks, Gunther.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Based upon his outfit, I would say Gunther takes risks...or is colorblind.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Mr. Cool Ice posted:

The first Foxy Grandpa I actually had to read! I feel awful, who am I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockroach
Dec 12, 2010
Charles Addams

• Locked thread