Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So Frozen is a huge call back to the Golden Age of Disney, is a good tale about family rather than 'this boy I just met saved me so he is the one!!!', and the song "Do You Want To Make A Snowman?" makes me cry like a loving baby every time, worse than the UP montage, but other than the movie not existing if not for this, why the hell didn't the king and queen take some time during that ten plus years of the sisters being isolated to get Anna a playmate, or better yet, have Elsa be taught how to control her magic via the trolls or something? Anything better than 'just pretend it doesn't happen!'

Goddamn that song is brutal though. It's the only Disney song to make me cry outside of the Dumbo "Baby Mine" one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

zbn posted:

I find unnaturally precocious children in TV/film annoying as well, but are you watching the same Modern Family as me? Which of the kids in that comes off as cool and street smart?

Literally any Mara Wilson movie. Even when I was a smartass lovely kid she drove me up the loving wall with her chewing on every syllable acting.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Razorwired posted:

Literally any Mara Wilson movie. Even when I was a smartass lovely kid she drove me up the loving wall with her chewing on every syllable acting.

Check out the articles she's written since about child acting. And/or her Twitter account. She's smart, funny and very honest about what child actors have to go through and the ridiculous poo poo expected of them.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Honestly Outnumbered is the only time I've seen children done with any realism and it was more-or-less improvised.

Annoyingly they went the other way with the increasingly older kids acting wackier and wackier till they seems like they had leaning disabilities.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

So Frozen is a huge call back to the Golden Age of Disney, is a good tale about family rather than 'this boy I just met saved me so he is the one!!!', and the song "Do You Want To Make A Snowman?" makes me cry like a loving baby every time, worse than the UP montage, but other than the movie not existing if not for this, why the hell didn't the king and queen take some time during that ten plus years of the sisters being isolated to get Anna a playmate, or better yet, have Elsa be taught how to control her magic via the trolls or something? Anything better than 'just pretend it doesn't happen!'

Goddamn that song is brutal though. It's the only Disney song to make me cry outside of the Dumbo "Baby Mine" one.

I applauded when I heard the line "You can't marry a guy you just met."

I was just, stunned to hear something like that out of a Disney film, and I loved it.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Tiggum posted:

The worst is the combination of both super-intelligent and acting way too young, eg. Wesley Crusher.

Honestly, I think the people reacting that way to it are the weird ones, people use the word that way all the time.

Gorgeous literally means "busty", so it's not the best word to use to describe children.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Ignite Memories posted:

Gorgeous literally means "busty", so it's not the best word to use to describe children.

Nobody on the face of this goddamn planet uses the word gorgeous and thinks "busty" are you cracked out of your egg? Not even the goddamn dictionary makes the connection. It just means beautiful and it comes from a French word that doesn't have poo poo to do with tits either.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

'La gorge' means bosom or throat, so gently caress off dude.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Ignite Memories posted:

So what? Old etymology doesn't matter as much as modern definitions. Nobody equates "gorgeous" with "busty".

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MisterBibs posted:

So what? Old etymology doesn't matter as much as modern definitions.

And even if it did:

quote:

gorgeous (adj.)
late 15c., "splendid, showy" (of clothing), from Middle French gorgias "elegant, fashionable," of unknown origin; perhaps literally "necklace" (and thus "fond of jewelry"), from Old French gorge "bosom, throat," also "something adorning the throat." A connection to the Greek proper name Gorgias (supposedly in reference to a notorious sophist) also has been proposed. Related: Gorgeousness.

It doesn't loving mean "busty," literally or otherwise.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
That little six year old girl gave quite the bosomy performance. I was blown away by her natural cadence and magnificent rack.

No More Toast
May 11, 2013

Atheist! Imperialist!!

Ignite Memories posted:

So? That doesn't mean gorgeous necessarily means busty. Yes, it comes from the old french word gorgias meaning elegantly or finely dressed but the exact origins of gorgias are unknown. It most likely is connected to gorge, which does mean bosom or throat, but that doesn't mean it means busty either. It might come from necklaces, so gorgeous would be connected to being as beautiful as a piece of jewellery, but you're just forcing your own etymology here.

Besides, words change. The word yard at one point meant penis. Does that mean if you tell children they can play in your yard that you're some kind of monster?

Anyway I was irrationally irritated watching The Croods where there was a joke about the grandmother having armpit hair. They're all cavemen. Surely everyone, no matter what gender, would have a lot of body hair?

edit: beaten on the etymology thing, and much more succinctly too.

No More Toast has a new favorite as of 17:33 on Jan 18, 2014

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Alright, fine, whatever. Y'all just keep using the word gorgeous to describe little children, I'll be over here not creeping everybody out.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I disliked how Bruce deals with Selina Kyle in The Dark Knight Rises. This is a woman who steals his mothers necklace (the one she wore when she died), then steals his car, then sells him out to Bane. Yet after he escapes from that he goes back to her again, all trusting and smiling, and offers another alliance.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Ignite Memories posted:

Alright, fine, whatever. Y'all just keep using the word gorgeous to describe little children, I'll be over here not creeping everybody out.

You're the only one getting creeped because you can't stop thinking about tits even when the subject is children.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
I have a huge issue with doors being opened and not closed in movies.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
People not saying "goodbye" at the end of phonecalls in films/on tv is quite annoying, but only because I can hear my girlfriend seething when it happens.

Buckwild Dorf posted:

That one really winds me up since I became a parent. It's like there's some kind of deep rooted genetic imperative to ask "Were you born in a barn?" that only gets switched on once you have kids. See also people leaving lights/tvs/computers on when they leave a room ("Were you born in a Dixons?").

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Buckwild Dorf posted:

I just saw this happen last night while watching Raiders of the Lost Ark. Brody walks into Jones' classroom and just lets the door swing open. I was expecting it to make a bunch of noise when it should have hit the wall, but there was nothing, of course.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Pilchenstein posted:

People not saying "goodbye" at the end of phonecalls in films/on tv is quite annoying, but only because I can hear my girlfriend seething when it happens.

This always bugged me until I started using phones in a service function, and was stunned by how many people wouldn't say goodbye to me. Then it got double weird.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I was watching War of the Worlds, and there was a scene where Spongebob is on the TV, and the audio is distractingly out of sync: this bothered me far more than it should have, as it probably could have been fixed in about 2 seconds.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Ignite Memories posted:

I wouldn't use that term to define a child, because it is kinda creepy. Your argument as to why its creepy was debunked.

One has nothing to do with the other.

It does irrationally irritate me that our language doesn't have distinct "she is visually appealing" and "she's sexually attractive", I'll grant you that.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Silly Newbie posted:

I thought Newt in Aliens was mostly well done.

Mostly.

edit: shut up about what words mean and don't mean and get back to making fun of Cyberbully

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

edit: shut up about what words mean and don't mean and get back to making fun of Cyberbully
There's this part where the main character confronts the cartoonishly evil bullies in the cafeteria and calls them out on being mean. Somehow, everyone in the cafeteria hears her and they all stand up and clap. Yeah, like that happens outside of troper tales.

The bullies call the main character "stinky" like they're in preschool even though they're old enough to drive. I know it's ABC Family but geez.

People refer to someone figuring out the passwords to their Facebook knockoff profiles as "hacking."

The main character never bothers to take down her profile even after she keeps getting harassed on it.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 21:04 on Jan 18, 2014

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Celery Face posted:

The main character never bothers to take down her profile even after she keeps getting harassed on it.

Correct me if I'm wrong because it's been a few years, but doesn't she go to hospital after self-harming because of internet abuse, and then she comes home and GETS BACK ON FACEBOOK???

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Nostradingus posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong because it's been a few years, but doesn't she go to hospital after self-harming because of internet abuse, and then she comes home and GETS BACK ON FACEBOOK???
Yeah, she does. She's insanely stupid and treats people who are nice to her like poo poo. Just look at what she says to a gay classmate when he says he feels bad for her. It's like saying "Sure, people call you a beaner and a spic but you really are Mexican so you have no right to compare that to being called a slut."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

I was watching War of the Worlds, and there was a scene where Spongebob is on the TV, and the audio is distractingly out of sync: this bothered me far more than it should have, as it probably could have been fixed in about 2 seconds.

This happens in a lot of movies and it's really annoying for the same reason that fake video game playing is, except without the excuse of "it will mess up their dialogue."

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Celery Face posted:

People refer to someone figuring out the passwords to their Facebook knockoff profiles as "hacking."

To be fair, real life "hacking" does involve a lot of figuring out other people's passwords, often through incredibly mundane methods. There are stories of hackers getting a list of accounts, and trying to log in as each one until they find an account where somebody used a password of "password" or "12345."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

INH5 posted:

To be fair, real life "hacking" does involve a lot of figuring out other people's passwords, often through incredibly mundane methods. There are stories of hackers getting a list of accounts, and trying to log in as each one until they find an account where somebody used a password of "password" or "12345."

In the context of Cyberbully, the girl's not-Facebook profile was accessed by her little brother because she used their cat's name as her password and is dumb.

I don't think that counts as hacking.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Okay so someone told me(maybe in this thread) that the whole "midichlorian" thing in Star Wars was so that Anakin could be trained besides being too old and backwater for the Jedi Kidnapping Program. But there was already a reason. Qui-Gon Jinn gives zero fucks about what the council thinks. It's pointed out that Jinn should be on the council but he's too busy being Jedi Martin Luther to get with the program. And when Windu and Yoda say "the kid could go Dark Side" Jinn directly tells them to gently caress off and that he's going to take him on as an apprentice anyway.

quote:

I don't think that counts as hacking.

There's actually a reason that anyone around sensitive information starting with call center reps has to be trained to spot social engineering and "hacking" that involves knowing how to work people. The easiest way to be a hacker is to rely on people to be complete morons. Administrators and other "smart" people will constantly pull poo poo like putting an unmarked USB drive into their laptops or using the same password for a hospital database as they do for Facebook.

One of the movies I actually like the hacking in is Sneakers.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Henchman of Santa posted:

This happens in a lot of movies and it's really annoying for the same reason that fake video game playing is, except without the excuse of "it will mess up their dialogue."

Combining the two irritants, apparently every video game of the past 25 years according to Hollywood has had the same soundtrack as Donkey Kong. Oh look, the game the kid's playing on the show is some first person army shooting game...with Donkey Kong's game over bleeps and bloops...

Also, crossposted from the pet peeves thread: Hollywood is unable anymore to make horror movies for people not using the subtitles. All the main dialogue anymore, especially important stuff, is whisper quiet. Scares on the other hand are deafeningly loud.

Related: Hollywood, stop using that same "rushing strings" cue for every jump scare. You know which one I mean, you've been using it for like, twenty years.

Choco1980 has a new favorite as of 06:31 on Jan 19, 2014

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Razorwired posted:

Okay so someone told me(maybe in this thread) that the whole "midichlorian" thing in Star Wars was so that Anakin could be trained besides being too old and backwater for the Jedi Kidnapping Program. But there was already a reason. Qui-Gon Jinn gives zero fucks about what the council thinks. It's pointed out that Jinn should be on the council but he's too busy being Jedi Martin Luther to get with the program. And when Windu and Yoda say "the kid could go Dark Side" Jinn directly tells them to gently caress off and that he's going to take him on as an apprentice anyway.

I don't know, there was value to the idea that they could objectively show he was not just strong with the Force but amazingly, uniquely strong, in a way that would count for special treatment. If they wanted to be less clumsy and bother the fans less, the easy way to have ability measurable by "mundane" means would be something like "oh, midichlorians are harmless symbionts that thrive in people strong with the Force."

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008

Ignite Memories posted:

:ohdear:

I honestly thought it was a harmless synonym for cute or adorable. Sorry, everyone.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Choco1980 posted:

Combining the two irritants, apparently every video game of the past 25 years according to Hollywood has had the same soundtrack as Donkey Kong. Oh look, the game the kid's playing on the show is some first person army shooting game...with Donkey Kong's game over bleeps and bloops...

I'm surprised I haven't seen any parodies use this yet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Choco1980 posted:

Hollywood is unable anymore to make horror movies for people not using the subtitles. All the main dialogue anymore, especially important stuff, is whisper quiet. Scares on the other hand are deafeningly loud.

The dialogue is whisper quiet because the "scares" are loud. If the dialogue was at normal volume, the sudden noise wouldn't stand out as much and the audience would be less likely to be startled. If that happened, they might realise the movie was boring poo poo and not actually scary at all.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Hoopy Frood posted:

:ohdear:

I honestly thought it was a harmless synonym for cute or adorable. Sorry, everyone.
It is. Don't worry about it.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Killer robot posted:

I don't know, there was value to the idea that they could objectively show he was not just strong with the Force but amazingly, uniquely strong, in a way that would count for special treatment. If they wanted to be less clumsy and bother the fans less, the easy way to have ability measurable by "mundane" means would be something like "oh, midichlorians are harmless symbionts that thrive in people strong with the Force."

Have him do something Forcey around Jinn. He reacts to a mishap quickly or provides some amazing insight to a problem. Hell, make him predict the sandstorm. The Midichlorian thing took the wonder of the old films and replaced it with those things diabetics use to test their blood.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Razorwired posted:

Have him do something Forcey around Jinn. He reacts to a mishap quickly or provides some amazing insight to a problem. Hell, make him predict the sandstorm. The Midichlorian thing took the wonder of the old films and replaced it with those things diabetics use to test their blood.
Seriously. "Completely without training he <insert amazing, visually appealing feat here>" not only gets the audience invested in the character (Did you see what he did? That's kickass!) but also better explains why Jinn gets really invested in training him, for the same reasons.

Which, on reflection, I now realise is what they were possibly trying to do with the podracing :sigh:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Razorwired posted:

The Midichlorian thing took the wonder of the old films and replaced it with those things diabetics use to test their blood.

No, it's stupider than that. Jinn takes a sample of the kid's blood, puts it in a machine (I think it was his communicator?) then tells Obi Wan - who is back on the ship outside town - to analyse it. How the gently caress does that work?

Also, do jedi carry blood testers everywhere they go? Even on incredibly important missions negotiating the end of a planetary blockade?

Never know when you gotta steal someone's kid and raise them to be emotionally stunted dickheads, I guess :shrug:

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Choco1980 posted:

The rationale behind this is that most video games have sufficiently realistic audio that if you played real video game noises, people would wonder why there's a war being fought outside. Personally, I think audiences are just a little smarter than that, but :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Sometimes movies are ridiculously lazy when it comes to video games. Back when top-loading cartridge systems still existed, you'd often see people playing a game in a film and it was obvious that there is no cartridge inserted into the Sega Genesis, SNES, etc. Then there are movies like Bring It On (great movie, shut up) where Kirsten Dunst's character gets pissed at her little brother and pulls the controller out of his hands, disconnecting it from the system as well. The force of her yanking the wire out of the port makes the door to the Playstation open and you can see that there's no disc inside. Again, minor poo poo, but it's the type of poo poo that's more and more noticeable now that people that grew up with video games are in their thirties.

It reminds me of how long it took Hollywood to realize things like flash drives existed. They kept using CDs until somewhere around 2008 or so before realizing "Hey, people know what these things are, maybe we should use them instead"

• Locked thread