Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Wait. So from episode 1 to 2, how did he escape/survive being blown up?

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's a cartoon.

But the actual theory is some parallel worlds poo poo that happened when Dandy messed with the space-time continuum's funky flow.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

TV Zombie posted:

Here's the head of Toonami's explanation:

Jason DeMarco posted:

There's no logical reason. Think of it like the show Aeon Flux, where characters died and then were back the next episode without explanation.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Steve Jorbs posted:

What exactly was the Honey controversy? I caught wind of it late and the tweets/posts had been taken down and I haven't seen a clear explanation of what exactly happened between the sub and dub that got people so riled up.
Dandy tells Honey to guess his job, and that it starts with A/U.
Early fansub: "You're an rear end?"
Dub: "You're an asteroid belt?"

One of the animators wasn't happy about the English line because he felt it loses Honey's character and makes her look dumb.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
And then there's the official sub's translation of "You're a worm."

I think that was a response to the accusations of the show being sexist that have been heard since Otakon, with her description being "a waitress with a nice body and dim wits at the Boobies restaurant." People felt that line made her look like more than a dumb big titted blonde, and used that dub line to release the show from guilt and pawn the sexism faults onto FUNimation. Or in that animator's case, he complained to the network, who merely broadcasts the show and has no say in the production. We may even see more layers to that character, but I get the feeling she'll be the Nurse Joy of the show. Just a Honey at every Boobies.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

TV Zombie posted:

My best guess is the point of the first episode was to set our expectations: Don't take the show seriously. If we kill all the main characters in the last scene of the first show, and they're back full-throttle in the first scene of the second episode -- well, now you know what you can expect. And, oh yeah, this is a cartoon.

Space Dandy isn't horrible, but the show hasn't wow'd me. I've never seen Cowboy Beebop, so I had no such expectations. What I find most annoying is there isn't really anything redeeming about Space Dandy. Likewise, I find it painful to watch a complete bumbling fool who has no redeeming qualities stumble his way through life. We don't know why the evil Gogol empire wants him, and I'm finding the whole Gogol "street view" thing more trite than funny. I hope I don't find Space Dandy more annoying than entertaining.

The best part about episode two, for me, was when Dandy approached the woman in the ramen shop wanting her to give him money to pay for his ramen. He wasn't hitting on her, as you'd expect, he just needed some cash. I suspect she will be a regular cast member. She was the lady he spoke with at the alien-finders agency, I think.

Also, just how much ramen can a cat-thing and a dandy space guy eat in one day? I kept thinking, aren't they full yet? But then, they were killed at the end of the first episode already, so who knows? They may simply have stomachs of infinite capacity.

The lone ramen shop dimensional area reminded me of the Outlands in WoW.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dan7el posted:

I find it painful to watch a complete bumbling fool who has no redeeming qualities stumble his way through life.

It's the Watamote thread all over again.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Dan7el posted:

I've never seen Cowboy Beebop, so I had no such expectations.

Er, maybe it's time you sat down and watched literally the best anime ever?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

darkgray posted:

Cowbow Bebop is good, but not that amazing.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
No, actually, it is

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Eh, I dunno. I've made it through some pretty bad stuff, but Bebop always loses my interest around episode 4.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Dragonatrix posted:

Eh, I dunno. I've made it through some pretty bad stuff, but Bebop always loses my interest around episode 4.

You basically stop with what's one of the series' most ridiculous episodes and right before one of the series best/most dramatic.

But anyway, just in terms of animation, style, and music, Cowboy Bebop is far and away better than 99.9% of anime.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

No, actually, it is

Not really. I've never understood why people think it's so amazing. It's fairly entertaining, sure, but hardly amazing.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I don't even care what you think. Cowboy Bebop is objectively the Best Anime. It's required viewing for anyone who wants to voice their opinion on anime in public. If you haven't yet, just watch the damned thing and despair at how nothing will ever reach its level again. :(

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Genocyber posted:

I've never understood why people think it's so amazing.

If it makes you feel any better, I've never understand how people can think it's not a really great anime series.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

List of anime that's better than Cowboy Bebop:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Anything by Imagawa that involves robots, maybe.

*shrug*

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dan7el posted:

Also, just how much ramen can a cat-thing and a dandy space guy eat in one day? I kept thinking, aren't they full yet?

What the gently caress are you implying about Betelgeusian metabolism, racist?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Speaking of killing all the characters off at the end of the episode, the Cowboy Bebop episode "Toys in the Attic" pretty much ended with the crew all dead. I guess the only reason why they live in that episode is because the autopilot was set to take them to Mars and they were saved offscreen.

Isn't the blowing up the ship as a last resort a thing from Star Trek?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Broseph Brostar posted:

Speaking of killing all the characters off at the end of the episode, the Cowboy Bebop episode "Toys in the Attic" pretty much ended with the crew all dead. I guess the only reason why they live in that episode is because the autopilot was set to take them to Mars and they were saved offscreen.

Isn't the blowing up the ship as a last resort a thing from Star Trek?

Toys in the Attic is widely speculated to be a dream. The cast is all dead or dying at the end, but the start of the next episode has spike bolting awake, as if he had a nightmare.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

TV Zombie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4pMJ8nMkZ4

Note the lyrics.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Oxxidation posted:

What the gently caress are you implying about Betelgeusian metabolism, racist?
*spacist

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Genocyber posted:

Not really.

HELLO ALL OPINIONS ARE OBJECTIVE FACTS *FART*

Do not post like this it is loving stupid.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Thomas Romain (ship designer) mentioned in a post on a French animation forum that he's already seen the first 13 episodes of Dandy, which means their production schedule is working out fine (they were required to be 2 months ahead at least to have Funi dub it in time). He also mentioned the animation never really lets up.

This show is special.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Google is removing audio in some really strange ways these days.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
That's what I get for linking a video without listening to the audio at all :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj5szHi1dLI

surc
Aug 17, 2004

So, from the thread I can assume the fan-service doesn't get toned down after the first episode? I get together with my dad every weekend to watch a few animes or other shows, and I felt pretty weird having suggested a show that spent like half the time focused on intense fan service.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Zorak posted:

That's what I get for linking a video without listening to the audio at all :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj5szHi1dLI

Say what you want of the first two episodes, but the ED is really pleasant.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

surc posted:

So, from the thread I can assume the fan-service doesn't get toned down after the first episode? I get together with my dad every weekend to watch a few animes or other shows, and I felt pretty weird having suggested a show that spent like half the time focused on intense fan service.

There was about ten seconds of fan service in episode 2.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

surc posted:

If you want to watch an anime with not much fan service I would watch Kill La Kill.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Welp, this week's is pretty great, so far. More silly cat humor, please.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This show is amazing and I love every goddamn bit of it. This episode was freakin' hilarious.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

This episode was by far the best yet.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Best week so far. That Dandy Mecha was great. :allears:

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Poor Meow, man. This is gonna bug the hell outta me all week.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I agree, it was definitely the best episode of Space Dandy so far. Can't wait to re-watch it later.

Next week looks like it'll be something odd, although probably not in a bad way.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I cracked up at the blurring when the boob monster showed up. I also got flashbacks to Attack on Titan when Meow bites it. It's bad enough that he's sitting in the belly of what is now a tiny monster, but now he has to sit in there with a few metric tons of spoiled food.

I'm beginning to suspect that the thing with the Gogol Empire is just going to be a running joke that is never going to get any serious attention or really become a part of the plot.

darkgray posted:

You want him to watch Cardcaptor Sakura?

Death Cube K
Mar 20, 2008

You're pretentious, this club sucks, I have beef. Let's fight.
QT orders food from The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Episode 3 staff trivia:

Co-produced by MAPPA (Kids on the Slope)

Notable KA -
Takahiro Shikama (responsible for a lot of the good animation in Sword Art Online)
There are some others but I'm not good enough at this to point them out.

Music -
Mountain Mocha Kilimanjaro
mito
Taku Takahashi
Noriyoshi Sasanuma
TUCKER
Hiroyuki Namba
Hiroshi Kawanabe

Had some really cool animation in the second half and was overall above average as usual. BONES train never gonna stop.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Dan7el posted:

Also, just how much ramen can a cat-thing and a dandy space guy eat in one day? I kept thinking, aren't they full yet?

"Dude. Man, you just have to go with flow, ya know."

If there isn't a Meow episode with reggae at some point, I will be stunned.

It's not like Space Dandy is subtle...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Great Rumbler posted:

There was about ten seconds of fan service in episode 2.

Excellent news, thanks! I really want to enjoy this series because oh god the quality of the animation.

• Locked thread