Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

How do you see your whole bracket? I can only the the top people and the ones around my rank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

head58 posted:

How do you see your whole bracket? I can only the the top people and the ones around my rank.

You can't.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Karnegal posted:

Oh yeah, I got this poo poo on lock!

I wonder the odds of entering a tournament at the very end and luck out into a newly created bracket.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

You kind of give up your chances at progression rewards though.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

messagemode1 posted:

You kind of give up your chances at progression rewards though.

Well I got to 1300 in like an hour and a half then shielded in first by a few hundred. I don't know how doable 2400 is without really really grinding

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So what's a good number of cover spaces to have? I'm at 20 and just pulled my first Ragnarok and will be probably getting 2 Patch Wolverine covers so I'm trying to decide who to dump.

Any of these worth keeping?
- Daken 5/2
- Moonstone 3/5/4
- Bullseye 5/3
- Iron Man 35 5/5/3

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So what's a good number of cover spaces to have? I'm at 20 and just pulled my first Ragnarok and will be probably getting 2 Patch Wolverine covers so I'm trying to decide.

I'm at 29 slots and a few HP short for the 30th. Should be enough room for one of everybody (for now).

Whether that's a good answer to your question...

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So what's a good number of cover spaces to have? I'm at 20 and just pulled my first Ragnarok and will be probably getting 2 Patch Wolverine covers so I'm trying to decide who to dump.

Any of these worth keeping?
- Daken 5/2
- Moonstone 3/5/4
- Bullseye 5/3
- Iron Man 35 5/5/3

Ditch IM35, there's no reason to keep him if you have Thorverine, which I assume you do because everyone does.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Daken and Bullseye are pretty lacklusture in the later game too.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Hmm, I guess I'll ditch my IM35 for the new wolverine.

Came #3 in the last event, really annoyed because I was 70 points ahead of everyone with less than one minute remaining. I wish the stats updated accurately. Screwed out of 400HP.

On the plus side, I managed to guess the faces of everyone of my unknown facebook friends, and now have my link back for my secondary account! Yay. I wish you could link the Steam version to facebook (then i'd make a second fakebook account!),

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Man, that was annoying that both Rage + Ruin and Savage Lands ended at the same time, so I had to choose between them. Patch doesn't look very interesting so I decided to get Ares up to 3/2/4.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Two hours ago I got bored of playing at ~900 (#8) while grinding my way up to 1200 for a green Punisher cover. I just started it up expecting a top 100 consolation prize - I got a pop up saying I'd lost >200 points and then one saying I was a top 15 finisher :psyduck:

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Patch is probably going to be the new go to wolvie after amazing gets the nerf.
Is rags even worth keeping on the roster anymore or should I dump my 1/5 that I am still pretty salty about dumping a bunch of HP into?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
10th in my Ares bracket had 1300 points, so I just went for top 45.

Sitting 4th with 55600 in my Hunt bracket. The last 3 Hunt sub-events are going to need to be worth a shitload of points for the Punisher red to be attainable.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Largepotato posted:

Sitting 4th with 55600 in my Hunt bracket. The last 3 Hunt sub-events are going to need to be worth a shitload of points for the Punisher red to be attainable.

Haha, holy poo poo, I might crack 20,000 tomorrow. I didn't realize I had slacked so much until I got top 10 in a sub-bracket tonight by clearing all the missions and doing one or two replays.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Didn't think I'd have the time to put more work in Rage & Ruin due to family stuff, but that ended earlier than expected and I had enough time to get into top 15 from top 45 in the last hour and a half. On the downside, this meant I didn't focus on the Hunt sub-event that ended at the same time and fell to top 400.

On the plus side, the Heroic gave me an Iron Man 40 Yellow, but I dunno whether to use it or to keep IM40 at 2 Yellow.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Nice! Top 5'ed the Ares thing with little effort and my savage land heroic token was yet another 4* wolverine. up to 6/13 covers. Also got two green GSBW covers off normal token this week bringing her up to 4 in green.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Retromancer posted:

Patch is probably going to be the new go to wolvie after amazing gets the nerf.
Is rags even worth keeping on the roster anymore or should I dump my 1/5 that I am still pretty salty about dumping a bunch of HP into?
If you plan to play Lightning Rounds then yes he is absolutely worth keeping because he still shines there.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Interesting new post on the announcements forum on the d3publisher forums, http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2298

quote:

Hi, all!

You can expect a couple of changes to the next few PvP events, starting with the second run of Ares and continuing with next week's tournaments.

The big issue we're addressing with these changes is that it was easier to stay on the top of the leaderboards than it was to gain traction at some spots in the middle. As the top players escaped the ranks where most of the players were fighting each other, they faced fewer opponents, and those were more likely to be shielded. More points were injected into the economy at the top, and they weren't trickling down. We had a number of brackets where many hundreds of points separated 1st and 2nd place.

We want it to be most competitive at the top of the leaderboard. Extra points if it's a touch less cutthroat in the middle of the pack. So we're making the following changes. As always, we'll watch how it goes and will be listening to your feedback, so let us know how it feels.

First, we changed the way we search for matches. Before, when taking event rating into account while matchmaking, we looked for opponents within a certain range above and below your event rating. Now, we still limit the amount below your rating that we look (so you don't get worthless matches), but you can now be matched with players that have event ratings any distance above yours. We rolled this out during the first run of the Ares tournament and it looks like it's having a positive effect so far.

The effect of this should be that it's more dangerous at the top, and players at the bottom can rise faster. We're adjusting the progression rewards to take this into account. The thresholds for the 175-500 progression rewards are higher, but our intent is that, for most players, it takes roughly the same amount of effort to earn a similar reward as it did before. A couple of rewards at around the 1000 point mark have also been reduced a touch since many more players are earning them.

We're also experimenting with doubling the price of shields in these events (as we experimented with halving them in the last set of lightning rounds). We want their use to be an interesting strategic choice, and some of us think the choice to throw one down is too obvious right now - top players easily have enough Hero Points to shield the whole time they're not playing, and it's exceptionally hard for others to catch up. We want the use of shields to remain within reach for lots of players, though, so we'll be watching how this affects shield usage closely.

One thing we've been concerned about is encouraging you to skip a zillion opponents before fighting one. We think most people have more fun fighting than skipping. We've added a feature to a future release that adds a small Iso-8 cost to skipping. Our hope is that it will add a little more strategy to deciding whether or not to skip a fight, and a side effect is that it should improve matchmaking (Rating players accurately is more difficult the greater control you have over exactly who to fight. We want you to have some of that control because it's an interesting choice, but infinite skips may be too much). This feature won't be in these next events - it'll be in an app update.

Hope you enjoy these changes, and I'm looking forward to hearing what you think. Discussion thread here.

bolding theirs.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I, for one, am OK with skips being taken away/nerfed/penalized/whatever, so long as the other change, where I can actually be matched with guys ahead of me in rankings, also goes into effect.

Most of the time I'm skipping someone, it's because they're like, 200 points less than me and if I attack them, I'll probably wind up losing points when they retaliate, and never gain any momentum whatsoever.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Most of the time I skip it's because it's vs some guy wiht a lvl 140 spidey/punisher and a maxed whoever is featured. This happens 90% of the time and the reward is usually ~10pts, though hopefully the 'improved matchmaking' will address this.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The vast vast majority of the time I skip it's because I've been matched with someone lower than me. Even during the last Ares tournament I was skipping four to five times just to get matched with someone that wouldn't immediately slam me for twice the points I gained. If they want to encourage people not to skip, maybe code their matchmaking so that it can't present you with a losing situation you now have to pay to get out of.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Yuck, I really don't want to pay iso to skip an 8 point match, but it's also not worth my time to play one. Their matchmaking better be a poo poo load better if they're going to charge for losses. Also, without the ability to break through the crabbing, I'm a little dubious at the highly inflated 2400 point top rewards being viable.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I'm so loving mad. I was top 10 in one of the last events. woke up an hour after the event happened and all I got was the gold token. how the gently caress did I get knocked down so fast? I'm just gonna end up with Ares just like thor and wolverine where they all just have 4 in 2 skills and suck poo poo.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Are they going to charge for skipping a retaliation? Because that would be rather bullshit. As a newer player I have been able to use skips to get into top 15 in a few tournaments and normally get into top 100. I have a 39 Thor, 22 Spiderman and 22 Wolverine. I also have a 50 Iron Man 35 and a 50 Storm Modern, that get some action while the others heal up, though Storm and Thor can rip some people up.

I think these changes are going to be good for people near the top, but poo poo for a newbie who is cleaver with timing. If by small they mean like under 10 ISO then yeah I don't think it'll be too big of a deal, but still I like to be able to level poo poo, its mostly what I use the events for. It will also make SHIELD even more impossible to get the top end stuff.

I think I'd feel better about it if you got free skips when the event started and every hour or so you got a few more free skips, like how med packs work.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

I added a few of you on fake Facebook, especially those nearer to the bottom of the list.

Please accept my friendship, friends.

Edit: in every single tournament I always get matched up with someone named bacon magic as my very first opponent, does this happen to anyone else?

messagemode1 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 18, 2014

Black Bo[X]
Feb 18, 2001

messagemode1 posted:

I added a few of you on fake Facebook, especially those nearer to the bottom of the list.

Please accept my friendship, friends.

Edit: in every single tournament I always get matched up with someone named bacon magic as my very first opponent, does this happen to anyone else?

I think baconmagic, battle angel, haiguzd00m, etc... are non-player seed opponents for players with low match making rankings. They usually start showing up for me if I've intentionally tanked a few lightning rounds and I've never seen them have any points.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Charging to skip is just going to hurt newer players and casuals. The new player experience is already fairly bad and that just makes it worse.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Largepotato posted:

Charging to skip is just going to hurt newer players and casuals. The new player experience is already fairly bad and that just makes it worse.

Especially since you can face people with any number of points ahead of you. It just seems like they are trying to fix an issue they see at the high end without thinking about the effects on the whole.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
Something I'd like to see is only the featured character in lightning rounds be buffed, not all of them. I don't wanna fight a team of max level rags/doom/magneto in the magneto round when I only have a magneto.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Not always, but Bacon Magic (with @s, right?) does pop up quite often. And there's someone along the lines of "a pretty pair of Hawkeyes" or something reasonably often. Didn't think they might be some kind of CPU opponent but it makes sense. Or maybe they just suck. :v:

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

WetSpink posted:

Interesting new post on the announcements forum on the d3publisher forums, http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2298

Before, when taking event rating into account while matchmaking, we looked for opponents within a certain range above and below your event rating. Now, we still limit the amount below your rating that we look (so you don't get worthless matches), but you can now be matched with players that have event ratings any distance above yours.
We've added a feature to a future release that adds a small Iso-8 cost to skipping.
We're also experimenting with doubling the price of shields in these events.

:allears:

What's the strategy for our next feature upgrades? Same as always, boys, poo poo at a wall.

One of the few redeeming features of shields was that the low cost made them at least reasonably accessible to all -- you could spend 50 to have a much better chance of getting 75 or 100 back. So now they're going to make it easier for people with 1500 to get attacked by people with 200, and then either charge them ISO to avoid a point death spiral or charge them twice as many HPs to try to avoid it in the first place. Keen-o!

I did pull two Patches last night without shielding. Thought about it once I cracked 1200, but then some bastard with 800 attacked me twice and pulled me down out of Top 5 range and it wasn't worth it to guard up.

beaner69 posted:

Something I'd like to see is only the featured character in lightning rounds be buffed, not all of them. I don't wanna fight a team of max level rags/doom/magneto in the magneto round when I only have a magneto.

The argument against this was that it meant only people who already had Villain X had a good shot at getting more of Villain X.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Possible stupid noob question (only been playing a few days): what determines the characters that represent you (to someone else) when you come up in the tournament? Is it the last team you used? Your highest level folks? Something something algorithm?

Black Bo[X]
Feb 18, 2001

head58 posted:

Possible stupid noob question (only been playing a few days): what determines the characters that represent you (to someone else) when you come up in the tournament? Is it the last team you used? Your highest level folks? Something something algorithm?

Last team you finished a match with in that particular tournament.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
I now have two Invisible Woman covers from standard tokens :wtc:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

:woop: Got the three Storm Classic covers from round 1 of Rage and Ruin. Now I just need to pull that off again for round 2 and I'll have the start of a pretty good team member.

I'm still rocking IM35 and Black Widow for my other two, does anyone have any advice for covers to look out for to replace them other than what's in the OP? I just started playing maybe a week ago so I'm not super far progressed in anything, but Iron Man is starting to show his age and Widow is pretty much there for her stun at this point.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
They already doubled the price of a day shield for the current tournament.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Thor and wolverine are the two you want, you can get a few covers for each in the prologue missions. They are two of the top heroes in the game, at least right now.

Both of them are getting nerfed soon, though.

Do as many hunt missions as you can as late to their finishing time as you can, you'll probably be able to pick up a heroic token that might give you something good.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Bussamove posted:

:woop: Got the three Storm Classic covers from round 1 of Rage and Ruin. Now I just need to pull that off again for round 2 and I'll have the start of a pretty good team member.

I'm still rocking IM35 and Black Widow for my other two, does anyone have any advice for covers to look out for to replace them other than what's in the OP? I just started playing maybe a week ago so I'm not super far progressed in anything, but Iron Man is starting to show his age and Widow is pretty much there for her stun at this point.

Ares works well as a replacement for iron man. He uses two of the same colors and you'll probably be able to get some covers for him in the hunt missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Bussamove posted:

This list should be pretty good. Rag has been nerfed since then, I don't have one but most people seem to act like he's worthless outside of lightning rounds. I'm always of the opinion in games that people overreact when something so powerful falls down to average, which is probably where he is in actuality. Sadly he's 3 star so its kinda poo poo to be average.

Having only played a few weeks myself Storm Modern is pretty easy to get max covers on, Level 50 IM35 and storm modern make a pretty good fallback team, or main team. Black Widow is really nice early but once you get a few 2 stars at 25-30 and some 1 star level 50s she's not very good, since you are often taking a 3rd that isn't of your choice. I mean if you can pick all 3 Widow makes a good 3rd.

Thor and Wolverine are the standard awesome team. Spider Man is also really awesome. Storm Classic is a ton of fun too. I think you're selling IM35 a bit short if you don't have a lot of covers. at 5/5/3 you can deal 950 damage with red and shield a ton of damage with his yellow. gently caress the freeze ray its expensive, though it does pack a punch. You are pretty much going to need Thor if you want to get some high rank finishes.