Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Genocyber posted:

Isn't that the one where DSP won because the console version, which DSP is used to, was used instead of the arcade version, which the pros are used to?

Oh yeah, had different ranges and priorities on moves iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I've never played Street Fighter 4 but the way DSP talks when he plays it it sounds like you just hold back(?) and are completely invincible? That's doesn't sound right to me.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Boxturret posted:

I've never played Street Fighter 4 but the way DSP talks when he plays it it sounds like you just hold back(?) and are completely invincible? That's doesn't sound right to me.

Seems more like he thinks he should be invincible when he presses back and he blames the game when he does so and it turns out he isn't.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Boxturret posted:

Its half right, sometimes you need to hold back and down instead. Then sometimes you need to throw tech. The problem is he constantly mashes while blocking to try and get counters out (I'm guessing) and so keeps getting hosed over that way. Also he seems to get confused by overheads etc and how you need to block them.

edit: Its the same with cross ups as well, he seems to be awful at predicting them, then blames lag when he blocks the wrong way. He also loving jumps constantly and then wonders why he's getting punished for it.

Stux fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 17, 2014

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Genocyber posted:

Isn't that the one where DSP won because the console version, which DSP is used to, was used instead of the arcade version, which the pros are used to?

I think so, but that's still not going to translate out into a dominating performance against well-established fighting game professionals. You'd need a good understanding of fighting game fundamentals to pull that off, plus it's not like everyone else wasn't totally aware of the version being played. Dude is good at Street Fighter 2 and I'll give him credit for that.

Now, why this doesn't translate into any other fighting game he plays is anyone's guess.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Stux posted:

Its half right, sometimes you need to hold back and down instead. Then sometimes you need to throw tech. The problem is he constantly mashes while blocking to try and get counters out (I'm guessing) and so keeps getting hosed over that way. Also he seems to get confused by overheads etc and how you need to block them.

There's also chip damage- you're not completely invincible while blocking, rather you take some tiny portion of the damage the attack would have done were it not blocked. Only applies to special attacks though.

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012
The title says it's Hyper Street Fighter 2 in 2006, which was the one where you could play as previous versions of characters. The Super Turbo tournament, IIRC, was in 2010. I saw an old where he also played in a Marvel Vs Capcom 2 tournament.

Nowadays, he'll gently caress around with Killer Instinct(the new one), in which he insults kids, guys arguing with girlfriends, people who don't speak, and the elderly. He got into an argument with someone who accused him of rage quitting and thought someone had impersonated his gamertag. The other guy found out the game had desynching issues and took back the accusations, though Phil kept asking for an outright apology.

Singh Long fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 17, 2014

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

GeneralYeti posted:

Can somebody explain why he feels this irrational hatred towards Kojima? I mean, apparently one of the requirements for being a troll is liking Kojima's works.

During his LP of Metal Gear Solid 2 he got really frustrated when he tried to run and gun his way through the game, and his ego wouldn't permit him to blame himself for trying to run and gun a stealth game so he blamed Kojima. He then followed up his loving up on MGS 2 by loving up playing MGS3, it didn't help his attitude. Honestly, it's clear that he only plays game for money these day but I do have to wonder if he derives any real enjoyment from playing games anymore.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

So here's a new thing I can suggest: Tin Plated. It's two dudes playing video games. They have pretty great rapport, and it's a basic duo of funny guy/straight man. I like their banter!

Now, the channel is actually very new, three months old. And they only have one LP, and it's still going. Guess what it is? It's Dark Souls blind! If you haven't completely exhausted your capability to watch dark souls, I really recommend this one. The group dynamic really makes the whole thing easier to watch since in the dull moments they can shoot the poo poo together, but they still actually focus on the game during key moments. It's nothing close to masterful gameplay or anything (in fact they're kinda poo poo), but they're really fun to watch.

Be warned though, A) They have facecam and B) The straight man (Josh?) has some anger issues and will sometimes scream incoherently and/or very loudly during failure.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Slowbeef posted:

Anything you can recommend specifically from Yogscast? I keep hearing about them, but never gave it a whirl myself.

Right, so. I went to go look for some stuff to post, but then I clicked this, which I hadn't seen before:

MooCowlian posted:

That said, I keep going back and watching this one, although it's probably much funnier with an understanding of who's who there and what's going on.

And yeah, it's the best one. I have a couple more but that one's probably gonna give you the quintessential experience. A lot of this is Minecraft because that's what I've seen the most of, but they've simply got a lot of content to go through and it's hard to recommend things that require context for the most part. I also notice Sips is a big part of most of these, which speaks to how much he adds to the team.

Sips is sad (@ 11:40, short)

Prop Hunt (Garry's Mod)

The Walls (Minecraft) (don't watch the fourth team, they're utterly obnoxious).
Duncan & Hannah
Sips & Sjin
Lewis & Simon

edit: If anyone can tell me how to post video links without the drat auto-embed, that would be just swell.

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 17, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Right click and paste them instead of ctrl+v or just delete the tags around them if it has the whole url instead of video id tag.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

edit: If anyone can tell me how to post video links without the drat auto-embed, that would be just swell.

code:
[url]link[/url]
If you type [url*] before pasting the link it won't autoconvert the link into an embed.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Aha! Thanks.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
You also can't mention Sjin without mentioning his amazing Let's Build videos. Even if you don't like Minecraft, you have to admit, he's pretty drat good at building neat projects.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Princess Sheepy posted:

You also can't mention Sjin without mentioning his amazing Let's Build videos. Even if you don't like Minecraft, you have to admit, he's pretty drat good at building neat projects.

Yeah, dude is insane when it comes to Minecraft builds. They're not much for entertainment value but it's so impressive what he can do.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

MooCowlian posted:

When he says 8 hour DSP montage, I think this is the one, assuming there aren't multiple such things.

I've been watching this video off and on for the past few days and I just wanted to check in and say how amazed I am at the lengths DSP went to to avoid learning how to crouch-jump in a Half Life 1 Source mod remake. The relevant footage starts at 4:14:39.

However, I'm kind of annoyed at the comments that blame Call of Duty and modern Nintendo games for making video games so simple that "real thinking games" like Legend of Zelda for the Wii would throw him for a loop. I think it's pretty obvious from the footage that no amount of hand-holding or forced tutorials is enough to teach DSP how to play.

Kajmir
Jan 17, 2012
Even when the game does go out of it's way to try to inform him he doesn't want to listen. There's a moment near the beginning of that video where a character in MGS3 calls him up to explain how certain mechanics work. His response? "Nope, gently caress you." *proceeds to skip dialogue* This came after he complained that the game didn't explain how quicksand works.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I've been watching this video off and on for the past few days and I just wanted to check in and say how amazed I am at the lengths DSP went to to avoid learning how to crouch-jump in a Half Life 1 Source mod remake. The relevant footage starts at 4:14:39.

"This game has a bugged jumping mechanic!" is the go-to DSP quote.

I'm at least 100% convinced that the "fan letters" in his Christmas video, which is actually decent until half way as was said, are from his number one fan. Himself.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Amppelix posted:

Be warned though, A) They have facecam and B) The straight man (Josh?) has some anger issues and will sometimes scream incoherently and/or very loudly during failure.
Also, bronies.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Actually, Slowbeef, why don't you invite the yogscast for the podcast? They're old goons and they have a specific brand of 'let's play' so it might be interesting enough.

EDIT: By that I mean Simon & Lewis. The rest is insufferable in my opinion.

NeilPerry fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 17, 2014

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Forgall posted:

Also, bronies.

Well, yes, they do in one video mention liking the show, but unless you find the mere idea repulsive (i guess some people do) it's not like they just talk about children's cartoons. In fact they don't talk about it at all. Unless I missed some big dumb thing, I did skip through a lot of the videos.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Amppelix posted:

Well, yes, they do in one video mention liking the show, but unless you find the mere idea repulsive (i guess some people do) it's not like they just talk about children's cartoons. In fact they don't talk about it at all. Unless I missed some big dumb thing, I did skip through a lot of the videos.
Well it's just part of the picture, along with annoying raging and screaming, beardy's crude sexist jokes and getting their political opinions from south park.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I dunno, what can I say? I like em enough :shrug:

Although I do hope whatever they decide to do next will not cause Shaun (I remembered his name!) to be so incredibly over-the-top angry because that's absolutely the worst part of their DaS playthrough.

Kir
Nov 8, 2010

Logistical Crisis Operative

"Alba gu Brath"
I've been looking at LPs for a while now, several years at least. I started with youtube, but eventually came here when I realised that this was THE place for quality LPs and of course found out the phenomenon started here.

Anyway for me the gold standard is Chip and Ironicus. The combination of the knowledgeable player and the audience surrogate who have a great chemistry just works so well. The other major factor that to me cannot be discounted is one simple thing. The commentary is usually done in post as opposed to the babble that can often happen when recording live. It's subjective I realise, as the majority of LP's are recorded live including some I like, and there are exceptions especially with multiplayer games where you want to hear the interactions as they play. Scott Manley utilises both styles very effectively often in a single video. However of course they are all Goons and know that quality outshines quantity.

However as I said. I started viewing on youtube and still watch a few seemingly pure youtubers with no goon connection. Sometimes out of loyalty more than quality control, but usually personality wins through over content in this case.

One of the earliest I still follow is Stalin aka Stalinator. http://www.youtube.com/user/DaStalinator

Canadian strategy LPer that has quite a few of our supposed vices for his videos. He usually finishes but has abandoned quite a few games, either due to bugs, real life getting in the road or flat out hating the game. He started young on his old channel, but migrated to a new one after internet drama and wanting a relatively clean start. He's big into politics and philosophy and likes his anecdotes, again vices perhaps, but at least he's interesting with it, and the one big thing in his favour. Dry wit and laid back but not horizontal style. If you like strategy games played by a competent if not great gamer who doesn't seem to monetise then you might like him.

GetDaved you already know about, but add me to the long list who likes his style. Another Canadian... weird.

For LPers who I occasionally watch but have major issues with. Top of my list has to be Grimmith http://www.youtube.com/user/GrimithR/

His Liberal Crime Squad LPs are fun and what first brought him to my attention. He has some really irritating habits though. Specifically his "thinking about it" sigh/exclamation, which can be heard by all the animals in the entire universe, and unfortunately us mere humans as well. Not a bad gamer or LPer per se, but good god that sound just chills me to the bone.

J2JonJeremy is one of Grimmith's cohorts and actually his is a decent enough LP channel as well. http://www.youtube.com/user/J2JonJeremy

Again I have issues, but i'd be lying if I said I didn't drop in and view what these guys are up to.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Microsoft is apparently doing a thing that certainly has implications for Youtube LP's:

NeoGAF: Microsoft to offer 3$ per 1000 views if you promote XBO

While it's not exactly exclusive to LP's, it definitely qualifies as a large company taking proper interest in youtube gaming content and meddling with it for their own monetary gain. It'll be interesting to see if we'll get some big name youtube LPers making some very pro-Xbone content thanks to this.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012

Attestant posted:

Microsoft is apparently doing a thing that certainly has implications for Youtube LP's:

NeoGAF: Microsoft to offer 3$ per 1000 views if you promote XBO

While it's not exactly exclusive to LP's, it definitely qualifies as a large company taking proper interest in youtube gaming content and meddling with it for their own monetary gain. It'll be interesting to see if we'll get some big name youtube LPers making some very pro-Xbone content thanks to this.

According to sources shown on that forum, they're doing the promotion until a collective of 1.25 million views have been claimed. Which is like, 1 video for any of the youtube superstars. What will be interesting is the inevitable several extra million views that are unrewarded and the backlash caused by that. Or if this is just a test or opening to more paid promotion on a larger scale.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Hey, everybody watch my video so I can get rich off my sweet XBOne moneys.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
What are they considering promoting Xbox One? Would this be considered promotion? Cause if so I'll just need 700 more views for 3 bucks! Wooo! :v:

unfair
Oct 6, 2012
I'm sure $3750 is a drop in the bucket for the MS advertising budget, it's surprising they're only buying 1.25 million views. $3/m isn't a ton to spend, but it also isn't bad for the people making the videos since it will probably basically double their ad revenue. (especially in January - which is terrible for ad rates)

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

You know what, that brings quite an interesting point up. Why do companies have that strange stance against LPs at times, while allowing it at other times. And really, this is way too confusing for me to realy grasp that, but what I do know is...

When you are the developer of a game. And you suddenly see a LP of it by, say for example, DSP, would you not go into a trance of shier rage wth the fires of hell burning in your eyes because this fucktard, who is too stupid too live, throws a bad light on your game.

DSP may not be the best example, because he things that he is way more important than he actually is, but the amount of little childrne with lovely mics and stupid jokes just buttfucking perfectly good games, destroying any sense of immersion and atmosphere...I wouldn't want that to be available to the masses, no matter how much free speech that is.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

I like your shirt!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Nidoking doesn't have poo poo on me. Microsoft give me all your money instead.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Michaellaneous posted:

When you are the developer of a game. And you suddenly see a LP of it by, say for example, DSP, would you not go into a trance of shier rage wth the fires of hell burning in your eyes because this fucktard, who is too stupid too live, throws a bad light on your game.

The funny thing is that at the end, DSP always seems to say that he really enjoyed the games. So maybe that is good advertising, in the right light. "Look - even if you can't figure out how to play a video game at all, ours is still really fun!"

Suspicious Dish posted:

I like your shirt!

Thanks. I was hoping someone would notice. I wish I had one more obviously Nintendo-based on hand, but that was the first one I found and it worked well enough.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Nidoking posted:

The funny thing is that at the end, DSP always seems to say that he really enjoyed the games. So maybe that is good advertising, in the right light. "Look - even if you can't figure out how to play a video game at all, ours is still really fun!"

Who the gently caress would watch one his LPs to the very end? How much episodes does he need for one game? 100? 200? And then again, the negativity or the whole situation would just outweight any real constructive criticism.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Michaellaneous posted:

DSP may not be the best example, because he things that he is way more important than he actually is, but the amount of little childrne with lovely mics and stupid jokes just buttfucking perfectly good games, destroying any sense of immersion and atmosphere...I wouldn't want that to be available to the masses, no matter how much free speech that is.

I call that the "Controversy Creates Ca$h" school of marketing, where any publicity is good publicity, the reasoning being "hey, somebody likes this stuff, so if they like that, then that guy showing our game off in the way they like will end up making them want to buy our game".

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

TheMcD posted:

I call that the "Controversy Creates Ca$h" school of marketing, where any publicity is good publicity, the reasoning being "hey, somebody likes this stuff, so if they like that, then that guy showing our game off in the way they like will end up making them want to buy our game".

I would not agree with "Any publicity is good publicity", but I do get your point overall. Yeah, maybe you are right; but I am sure that he drove some people to never buy Kojima games again just because he calls him a fag every second.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Michaellaneous posted:

I would not agree with "Any publicity is good publicity", but I do get your point overall. Yeah, maybe you are right; but I am sure that he drove some people to never buy Kojima games again just because he calls him a fag every second.

That implies that DSP has fans and I find that harder and harder to believe the more I see of him.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Boxturret posted:

That implies that DSP has fans and I find that harder and harder to believe the more I see of him.

He has his small loyal fanbase, even tho' there are a lot of people who produced some drama out of leaving his fanbase and so on.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
On a couple of DSP's videos I see comments like "You're funny poo poo, gently caress the haters" and I get a little grin imagining that they just enjoy watching him get unreasonably angry at everything and don't actually like him at all.

I'm probably wrong about this though and these are people who actually DO like his horrid personality. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Ramengank posted:

On a couple of DSP's videos I see comments like "You're funny poo poo, gently caress the haters" and I get a little grin imagining that they just enjoy watching him get unreasonably angry at everything and don't actually like him at all.

I'm probably wrong about this though and these are people who actually DO like his horrid personality. :smith:

No, you can be pretty sure that at least half of his subscribers - 25k. That is actually hilariously nothing - are actual fans.

PS: pyf

• Locked thread